• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 16, 2019

    Startups Wednesday Social Club - Share What Events You Are Attending This Coming Week

    Startups Wednesday Social Club - Share What Events You Are Attending This Coming Week


    Wednesday Social Club - Share What Events You Are Attending This Coming Week

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 06:06 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Social Club thread.

    Share what events and meetups you are going to so we can discover new ways to be social together offline and help grow your local community.

    Focus on sharing events that are happening within the next 7 days of this date of this submission. Anything that falls outside of 10 days will be removed, no exceptions.

    No duplicate posts. If you happen to be attending an event that is already posted, leave a comment to inform the community that you will also be there.

    If you are hoping to organize something on your own, outside of an existing event, feel free to use this thread to rally some people together to meet up.

    Please use the following format to share an event:

    Event Name and URL: Location: Event Date: Event Time: Event Description: Event Cost: Discount Code: [if applicable]

    Please use the following format to organize people to meet up together:

    Location: Purpose of getting together: Suggested Places to meet up:

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    As an employee, is it bad to have emotional sentiments attached to a startup?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 07:10 AM PDT

    I work in a growth phase startup. I had a great rapport with my CEO since the company's earliest phase and I have emotional sentiments attached to the company. But as the organisation grows, the hierarchy changes and I am not directly reporting to the CEO. I slowly start to feel the rapport is turning cold. I have a feeling that my previous efforts will not be recognized. Could someone pls advise me on this?

    submitted by /u/rg_cyborg77
    [link] [comments]

    Should I join or do it myself?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 08:58 AM PDT

    Recently someone asked me to join his cryto startup as tech co-founder. The idea is not new but quite ideal and he wants to run this startup as a foundation. The reason is he thinks foundation is the proper way to grow the community who eventually owned the crypto... The reason that I am yet promise to join him is because he never wants to talk about equity distribution, exit plan or related topic..instead he just told me that we as cofounder will hold part of the coins after few years or a decade. I am not a cryto expert, so I need some advice if I should consider his offer. I know he wants to be the person who make important decisions in the startup, if not to become ceo but he seems like not a ceo material. That's how I feel.

    If I don't join his ship, I am thinking to go with my own plan for a project related to accounting and quotation handling for freelancer, but the thing is I am planning to look for cofounder and I feel like this project is not visionary enough to attract others as cofounder. I like to hear some sharing, thanks in advanced...

    submitted by /u/k8martian
    [link] [comments]

    Investor signed share purchase agreement and now won't pay

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 09:15 AM PDT

    Hi there - thanks for reading this. I probably need to involve a solicitor, but wanted to seek informal advice here first.


    Last month I signed a shareholder agreement with an investor for the sale of a 6-figure £ sum of newly issued shares to him as a seed raise for a new business. It's a consultancy serving the investor's clients. Transfer of funds was due within a week, but has not been completed.

    He signed the agreement despite his business partner expressing concerns at the potential for loss or slow growth when investing into a consultancy vs. something with greater potential upside.

    Since then the investor has involved his lawyer, claiming that the deal is unworkable, and not in our (see: his) best interests. He wants to continue to introduce clients, but make no investment for the time being. He has clearly now listened to his business partner and got cold feet. I am certain that he is solvent (has the money to pay).

    He also claims that the agreement is invalid because a company cannot sell shares to a private individual (I signed on behalf of the company as its sole director).

    I believed the business was viable and have invested a couple of months of effort and personal funds into setting it up, doing pre-sales work for some potential clients and buying equipment, accountancy services etc.,. However, the business is unlikely to be viable hereafter due to this breakdown of trust and confidence with our key source of leads.

    My options seem to be: 1. Legally enforce share purchase agreement 2. Attempt to recover my costs maybe via a dissolution agreement 3. Walk away and swallow losses

    What do you think?

    Thanks in advance for your insights!

    submitted by /u/charlie7691
    [link] [comments]

    Need advice - Should I find a tech co-founder or be a tech co-founder?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 05:55 PM PDT

    Hi guys!

    I am a college student and I want to start my own SaaS or mobile app startup. I have a little experience in starting a startup company. I tried to create a marketplace platform and since I have a little experienced in WordPress so I created the platform using WordPress for the MVP. Unfortunately, it failed.

    Recently, when I want to create a mobile app-based startup, I tried to find a tech co-founder. I couldn't find any. Then, I feel like if I can't find any tech co-founder, I will learn to code myself.

    What do you guys think. Should I keep trying to find a tech co-founder or should I learn to code myself?

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/edwinkys
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking advice - What drives channel partners to sell? - Looking to scale to 25,000 new clients in 2020

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 10:14 AM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    For those who have experience growing channel sales, what is your strategy? We're growing quickly, but we keep the mentality to constantly 10x our growth. We're looking at mass scale and mass adoption to add an additional 25,000+ clients in 2020. 90%+ coming through channel partners.

    Quick background on our product... I'm one of 3 founders and the CMO of a company with 20+ employees. We used to offer marketing services, but now we give all those leads to our partners. We have a proprietary conversational platform where companies can use our chatbot (flagship product), automate conversations via Facebook Messenger (we did a direct integration with the Facebook team), and text enable landline/VOIP numbers to automatically or manually communicate with customers via SMS on our platform. We work with thousands of companies paying an average price point of $199-$299/mo. Some industries pay $599+/mo based on their volume and the value of their leads. Our target marketing is professional service companies.

    We have dozens of channel partners and are generating about 30+ demos per week for new potential partners. We're on-boarding about 10 new partners each month. Our number one challenge is getting them to push our product. We mainly work with marketing agencies who have at least 20 professional service clients (most have 100+) so we fully understand that pushing our product isn't their #1 priority.

    Here's what we've tried...

    • Full white label of our platform for them to sell. (Partners can't sell nearly as well as us.)
    • Small set up fee to get the partner financially committed. (Typically isn't a problem, but we have scenarios where we've waived set up fees or cut it in half.)
    • Monthly minimums no matter how many clients they have sold. (This hasn't worked too well and hasn't really made them want to push.)
    • Constant contact with their team member responsible for the initiative. (Maybe we're too aggressive, but are people just lazy and don't want to work? I take full responsibility when things aren't working, so maybe this isn't the best approach.)
    • We have started white labeling the sales process as well. We give 35% to the partner and white label the platform and do the sales as their company. (This has been working extremely well and we're growing faster than ever off of this.)

    Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/scruggs92
    [link] [comments]

    How do you support your startup?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 10:45 PM PDT

    Interested to find out what some of you do to support yourself and your startup on the side?

    Do you work full/part time? Do you have a side hustle? One or more small businesses? If so what do you do?

    I work myself, part time and have a web design gig on the side. I'm thinking of starting a few other minor small businesses but unsure what to pursue. Thoughts? What works for you?

    How do you manage your startup and side gigs? Any hot tips to not burn out? I'm pretty exhausted, so it'd be great for some advice.

    Additional questions:

    How many startups have you tried and failed at? Have you shifted industries or markets as a result? Will you just keep trying and trying until your startup succeeds or do you know when to throw in the towel and move onto another idea?

    Would love to gain your insight and learn a bit more from others that are in the same boat as I am :)

    submitted by /u/CallumJPunch
    [link] [comments]

    How do you know it's time to give up and cut your losses?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 01:00 AM PDT

    Me and my team have built an app similar to blablaCar in a country where no such app exists.

    My main income comes from working for a large public bank as a CTO, so I am supporting my startup from my own pretty good salary. I am at the point now where I am putting all my salary into this startup and not having a disposable income. Which would be fine, but I am not getting the results I want.

    Basically i am the sole CEO/founder of a startup which build an app similar to BlablaCar (intercity car-sharing) in a country where no such app exists. I have 4 employees which I am paying from my own salary. It's been around a month since we launched and we only got 3k users. And we are only getting like 1 car booking per week which is pretty bad.

    We are doing marketing mainly through digital means and I think I already spent like 10k on marketing alone.

    I am at the point now where this startup is not gaining traction and I am using up all my salary on this startup with no disposable income left for myself.

    When do you decide it's time to cut the losses?

    submitted by /u/chorniyprince
    [link] [comments]

    Advertise or not advertise as a startup with limited budget?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 01:27 PM PDT

    I am a new brand in the craft industry. My customers are women between 40-60 years old, can be found on facebook or Instagram. I have the urge to advertise on Facebook. How long does it take to optimize the ads on Facebook? Is it better for us to focus on SEO?

    submitted by /u/knitpalusa
    [link] [comments]

    What is your unfair advantage?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 07:10 AM PDT

    We are in the early stages of putting together a founding team and I am having a hard time vocalizing our unfair advantage. I am curious what some of you use in your pitches? I am fine with bragging about a product but don't like bragging about myself.

    submitted by /u/TangentFact
    [link] [comments]

    Working at a Startup. HR wants to Venmo me money to give to a coworker...

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 09:57 AM PDT

    I won't be working for this company for very long, there's been a lot of misconduct and unprofessional behavior. I'll be refusing but what are the legal ramifications of this(for me and for the company)? Would I get caught in any tax fraud implications? Should I report this?

    submitted by /u/Copyright_IP_Bot
    [link] [comments]

    Can I say I am the founder/CEO of my project even through I have not yet taken the steps to copyright?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 09:03 AM PDT

    I am unsure of the legalities that come with choosing a name and creating a website to promote my idea. I have not yet created a physical prototype but I am hoping to eventually. I just created my site with a custom domain name and custom logos, what else is necessary at this point? Thank you

    submitted by /u/Expatac
    [link] [comments]

    How to get leads in travel tech?

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 05:55 AM PDT

    I have a travel tech startup prototype and looking to connect many hoteliers. How to get leads for it, do I need to go door to door to every hotelier to such thousands and up to lakhs of hoteliers? How do zomato and foodpanda like business did these hoteliers connected? Any suggestion? I am planning to have only two executives to reach to hoteliers initially so does it look good?

    I am in tech. part of this development and I have my relative as partner but didn't engage him at present.

    submitted by /u/akd0
    [link] [comments]

    Navigation module for bikes/scooters

    Posted: 16 Oct 2019 04:59 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm a young aspiring entrepreneur from Bangalore. I've been working on this project which provides field of view navigation to a biker. My concept revolves around a retro fittable module that connects to your phone via Bluetooth and can be attached to any motorcycle helmet and this module would have an LED strip running across the visor's edge with which the rider would get his navigational cues. The strip is designed in such a way that the LED light would not be a distraction and is diffused enough and visible with the rider's periphery vision. However I recently noticed that a similar product called TurnPoint Smart Glove system by Steve Friedlander of Lab Brothers, Atlanta, Georgia had failed with their concept. I'm trying to understand why they failed because I don't want to be heading down the same road. Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/alphanapolean
    [link] [comments]

    Tuesday Operational Roundtable - A Forum to Ask About Legal, Accounting, Project Management, or How to Get Started

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 06:06 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Operational Roundtable Thread.

    Ask about anything related to legal, accounting, project management, or how to get started.

    Don't be shy. The purpose of this is to learn and share ideas and methodologies with one another.

    Any question is a good question!

    If you are answering questions, remember to be kind and supportive. Many are just starting out and have no idea what they are doing. That's okay! We all knew nothing before we knew something.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Remote vs On-site

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 08:17 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I've been managing development teams on-site for 12 years, and been managing a remote startup for 4 years now. In some ways running a remote startup is very different from a physical one, but in other things - like motivating employees and building teams - is very similar to a physical company.

    I'd love to hear a bit from other entrepreneurs - what caused you to choose an on-site team, or a remote team, or maybe even an outsourcing/outstaffing solution? Were you afraid you won't be able to get enough control of the team if the team isn't with you in a room? Or are you afraid to lose some of the brainstorm power? Are you afraid of the different labour laws around the world, or how to pay salaries?

    Do you know how to handle an employee that doesn't show up to work? Either in a remote space or a physical one?

    I'd love to hear what kind of things stop you from growing your team remotely. Please share your experience!

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/davidtab
    [link] [comments]

    How to negotiate salary ?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 10:47 PM PDT

    Hello

    A bit of my situation

    I am a third year student in business and I decided to change my major for my last year to economics. I wanted to do the degree online so I could work in start up for my last year . Thing is , there is multiple round in my country for acceptance in the program . I thought that everything would be okay as I passed the hardest and wrote on my cv that I was studying economics from 2016 to 2020 .

    While I was waiting patiently for the offer I got 2 news. An internship offer in an early stage start up build by an ex consultant from Rothschild and J.P. Morgan . The CEO wants me to help him raise fund with business angels for serie A and to help with strategy planning .

    Which I am all cool with as it's not my first internship .

    Now I got the reply from the online university that told me that I was being rejected .

    I don't know what to do . I want to be clear with the founder and tell him straight up thing is I don't know how . I think I'll take a year off to do internship or I'll transfer elsewhere for January .

    But I still want to do this internship. Thing is I would need it to be paid.

    But There is 2 thing weird . During the interview the founder told me that He doesn't need me to be at the same location as him . I live in a different country and he didn't talked about salary. So I feel like he wants me to do free job for him from a far so he doesn't have to give me a contract or to pay me . I don't wanna be taken advantage of .

    If I could be physically here I feel like I could learn much more and really network .

    How can I do ? To talk about the salary without seeming greedy ? At the same time I wasn't clear about my situation and don't know what to tell him ??

    submitted by /u/Popilaaa
    [link] [comments]

    How to find partners and cofounders?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 08:26 AM PDT

    Where do you go when you are trying to find a partner or co founder ? Especially ones interested in the beauty industry ? When I do come across some, it seems the resources is geared towards tech based projects. What do you guys think ? Any helpful tips or direction would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/mobbeauty
    [link] [comments]

    How do I find a marketing partner?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 12:26 PM PDT

    Hi

    What would be a good resource to find a marketing partner that might fit our needs?

    I'm the founder of a new retail shop. I have 40 years in Mfg and now pursuing the art of making creative jewelery.

    We just launched in Denver Sept 14th with Creative jewelry, art and collectibles. We also have a Salon around the corner that we founded 2.5 years back and it's doing well. And is highly rated 5 stars.

    We've also developed a jewelry product we are going to take to market. We will initially try Kickstarter.

    It's for parents that is custom for each child including pets. Everyone that's seen it is blown away at the potential. We just got a trademark and are ready to do a patent pending.

    Ideally we need a marketing partner for this product, like all founders we feel the potential is large. Taking it to market can be grass roots, but we're looking at options.

    We can try to use a marketing company and spend lots of money. But we would prefer to add a vested partner that is very savvy on marketing for this product. And to help us grow the company. In exchange for their effort they would get paid on commissions and a percentage of vesting. There are a few other products that can follow.

    Any input is greatly appreciated.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/RebelRazer
    [link] [comments]

    Notebook Start-Up

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 12:05 PM PDT

    As a lover of notebooks, I'd like to start a company which sells them! I've designed exactly what I want them to look like, but don't really know where to go from here.

    Does a company that produces notebooks actually make and print the notebooks themselves, or are there a range of suppliers who can create the bound material and print the innards of the notebook?

    I hope this post isn't breaking any rules.

    Thank you!

    Info: I'm in the UK.

    submitted by /u/iamprocrastinating93
    [link] [comments]

    Investing In Gaming? VC artcile

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 10:12 AM PDT

    Just read this: https://www.nfx.com/post/what-vcs-dont-see-why-were-bullish-on-gaming-startups

    I have never invested in a gaming company or seriously considered it because it feels hit driven and i don't really understand the market. Good article though and its interesting how avg gamer age is above 30. Makes me think that cross promo / ad networks on game startups may have more opportunity that I realize (even though I feel like they rarely work and the experience is bad for everyone)

    submitted by /u/hopethereitis
    [link] [comments]

    B2b saas: free trial or demo?

    Posted: 15 Oct 2019 06:21 AM PDT

    Hi there. We're launching our b2b saas soon and are considering running demos or free trials. It's a b2b saas that would replace the backend system of our target businesses and I think a demo would be better, but I believe "booking a demo" would be a much more committed call to action than free trial.

    On one hand, that'll definitely make it so that people who book demos are actually serious about the service. On the other hand, it'll probably have much less leads than a free trial.

    Does anyone have experience with experimenting between the 2?

    submitted by /u/MyExome
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment