• Breaking News

    Friday, October 18, 2019

    Personal Finance Weekend Discussion and Victory Thread for the week of October 18, 2019

    Personal Finance Weekend Discussion and Victory Thread for the week of October 18, 2019


    Weekend Discussion and Victory Thread for the week of October 18, 2019

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 02:04 PM PDT

    If you need help, please check the PF Wiki to see if your question might be answered there.

    This thread is for personal finance questions, discussions, and sharing your success stories:

    1. Please make a top-level comment if you want to ask a question! Also, please don't downvote "moronic" questions! If you have not received your answer within 24 hours, please feel free to start a discussion.

    2. Make a top-level comment if you want to share something positive regarding your personal finances!

    A big thank you to the many PFers who take time to answer other people's questions!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Job gave 90 day notice - got new offer- should I give 2 weeks notice?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 03:11 PM PDT

    30 days have gone by since I was given a 90-day notice that I would be laid off.

    I've received an offer and plan to leave. Should I give 2-week notice?

    There is a curveball to this too, I was considering giving my 2-week notice when the Director asked me to apply to an engineering position. It sounds like he is firing everyone in the department but wants to keep me.

    They need someone at nights for my position, I was thinking if I gave a 1-week notice it might put more pressure on my employer to possibly make me a better offer? Whether or not I accept said offer, it could even help raise the competing offer.

    What does everyone think? Should I give 2-week notice?

    EDIT: Another reason I ask is because 2 guys on my team have already left with what seemed to be 1-week notice.

    EDIT: Thanks everyone for the advice, I will submit 2 week notice and if they want to counter offer it's in their court.

    submitted by /u/Goal_Post_Mover
    [link] [comments]

    Dad bought a new SUV two months ago and is now in hospice

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 04:19 PM PDT

    A little backstory, my mother passed away in May from cancer and as my father decided that he needed to go down from two cars to one. He was excited to tell us that he financed a brand new Tuscon with every single warranty without us talking this through with him two months ago but he has since gone down hill drastically and is now in hospice care.

    My sister is his power of attorney and we are currently paying for the vehicle through his account as his pension is active as long as he lives. However once he passes things get a little more complicated. The bank will only let payments go through his account for 6 months and then we are not allowed to bill the estate. Once that ceases my sister will then be responsible for payments from my understanding.

    His payments are ~$560 per month plus $48 for a dealer only warranty.

    We are trying to clarify if we can sell the vehicle in the first six months via the lender. As well, we reached out to the dealership and they offered to buy it back with 7 k depreciation. Finally, our estate lawyer has suggested counting it as a debt and having the house pay it off but that will take some time and we would need to cover payments/take out a loan.

    So my question to you all, what is our best option?

    Tldr: my dad made a car salesmens month.

    submitted by /u/thelostcanuck
    [link] [comments]

    Walmart lost my return. PayPal denies claim. [LONG]

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 08:56 AM PDT

    Throwaway account. My wife is pregnant, baby due any day now. We have a 2 y.o. already. We had a nursing swivel chair that is now in my kid's room. We wanted another chair for the nursery. I'm so mad and frustrated right now.

    I don't know how much info you need... but here goes.

    We ordered chair on 9/15/19. We received THIS..

    Yes. I ordered a chair and received an extremely heavy AC Window Unit valued at more than double the price of the chair we bought.

    I call Walmart customer service. They apologize about the mistake, someone must have grabbed the wrong one. They set up the return, and help me place a new order.

    Here's where things really got messed up. I could barely lift this thing. I didn't want to have to take it to FedEx or take it to Walmart and fortunately, FedEx pickup at my house was an option. Walmart sets up the return, pickup at my house the next day. They tell me to put on my front porch with the label on it and they'll pick it up.

    Tomorrow comes, I put the package where its supposed to go. I'm doing stuff around the house and I look out my front door and the package is gone. I get a call about 2 hours later from FedEx telling me that there was a problem with picking up my package. ?? I tell them that someone already picked it up, but I'll go check. The package wasn't at my front door, but my front door sidewalk connects to the side of my house, and I find the package wheeled over to my garage?? I tell them what the driver did and they tell me that the driver told them that this was an Express package, not ground. They ask me to tell them what's on the label.

    I tell them whats on the label, tracking number etc, and its got a big fucking G on it, for Ground. "Well, that's a ground package, not sure why the driver is saying it was Express." Skipping the 2 hours I spent on the phone figuring out this cluster, it was because that lazy driver decided he didn't want to take such a heavy package, and decided to lie and say that it was mislabeled.

    Finally they figure out that the driver lied about it being an Express package and tell me that "Its too heavy for ground and needs to go freight" but freight is super expensive so you need to call Walmart to authorize it. At this point I'm about to tear my hair out, I've been dealing with this all day and I say fuck it, I'll just deal with this on Monday.

    Before the day ends that Friday (9/20/19), I get a knock on my door around 6:30PM. FedEx (Express) man says hes here to pick up my package. ?? I explain to him what all has happened today and the problems with getting it returned etc and he says that he'll take it for me. Sweet.

    In the back of my mind I thought this could be a problem as this had a G label and he was an E driver... but I was so over it at this point and ready to be done with it. I asked if my tracking number would still work and he said yes. (This tracking number shows that the package was delivered 09/24/19)

    While this AC Unit was in route to be returned. My chair arrives. SURPRISE. Another AC unit. Exact same one. Fool me once... something something FML. I am not about to deal with this nightmare that was this FedEx return again, so I call my local Walmart and ask them if I can return this to them. On the phone with them for another 2 hours because "this item isn't what's on your order" -- they eventually tell me yes and I back my truck up to the hill next to my house, and wheel this heavy mofo up into the back of it. I get to the Walmart, no one knows what I'm talking about or how to do it. After being there for an hour, eventually they get to the manager that I had talked to on the phone and get my return processed and refunded.

    Okay 1 AC unit down. 1 to go. I keep an eye on my tracking number and see that I still haven't been refunded as of 10/2. I e-mail in. I get a response back the same day. I will spare you the full e-mail, but the important part is here:

    The one returned via FedEx, was delivered to our return center on September 24th. It may take up to 7 business days for it to be scanned in, this timeframe expires tomorrow, therefore tomorrow you should receive a notification that your refund process has been started.

    2 days pass and still no refund. I e-mail again. No response. I give it another 24 hours, e-mail again, no response. Inform them that if I'm not refunding I'm just going to dispute the charge with PayPal. No response. I open the dispute with PayPal. PayPal tells me that this will take 10 days. On day 8 (today), I get an e-mail asking for more information. They want my tracking number. I give it to them. PayPal responds within minutes that they need "A copy of the actual return label that was used on the package." I don't have that. I have the link from FedEx, but you only have 5 days to access the link after you open it. I send them all of this information, screen shots of the pages etc. PayPal immediately responds, We have received a response from the merchant and we've also reviewed all the details of your case. Based on the merchant's response and the information we have to date, we have to deny your case. This decision was made because we did not receive valid proof or tracking that you returned the merchandise. ???

    It then tells me I can appeal, so I opened an appeal and am waiting on a response.

    That is where I am right now. Losing my fucking mind. What do I do? Can I dispute this $217.81 (price of chair with taxes) charge with Chase, the CC that's tied to my PayPal account?

    My next step I guess is to call FedEx and see if they can send me a copy of the label that I was given via the link I have. It says I still have 2 days to access it.

    Edit: Since posting, I have talked to FedEx and they will not provide me with a copy of the label that I used because I am not the account holder, Walmart is. And PayPal denied my Appeal -- "This decision was made because we did not receive valid proof or tracking that you returned the merchandise." Even though I provided them with my tracking number. I always thought your tracking number was all you needed to provide proof?

    submitted by /u/WalmartSucksPayPal
    [link] [comments]

    Selling a Vehicle to a Private Party and Buyer Wants To Finance - How Do I Protect Myself?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 07:32 AM PDT

    I'm selling a vehicle to a private party. The person came out and test drove the vehicle. They half-assed tried to negotiate, and we quickly landed on a price. I agreed to meet them at their bank for cash or cashiers check.

    We are suppose to meet today to complete the sale, but he messaged me saying he wants to finance instead of paying cash. In order to do that, he asked for a form to be filled out with a copy of the front and back of the title and registration. We're still planning on meeting at the credit union. My spidey sense are tingling about the change, but we're still meeting at the bank. Is there some scam I'm missing here? Is there a risk is sending a photo of the title and or registration that I'm not seeing?

    submitted by /u/intertubeluber
    [link] [comments]

    Capital One 360 Savings Account Vs. Discover Savings Account

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 07:43 PM PDT

    I want to start saving money for the long run since I'm still in college and finally have a stable part-time job, so after many research, I narrowed down to Discover Savings Account and Capital One 360 Savings Account. I am just asking if any of you guys have experiences using either accounts and what's your review so far? How is the user experience for either account?

    My goal is to have a high APY savings account, with not so difficult access to my money in case of an emergency. I can wait for 3-5 days to receive my money from my savings account, but I really do not want to wait longer than that to access my money. I have been reading many reviews on Capital One 360, with most of them are positive reviews, however, those reviews are from 1-2 years ago, and I also came across some number of negative reviews on Capital One 360 about their redesigned website and user interface. I also read some alarming reviews about Capital One loosing your money and transfer your money to the wrong account. I have no idea about the credibility of those reviews, but they are serious enough that I am hesitant to sign up with them.

    As for Discover Savings Account, I have only read positive reviews so far, there were no negative reviews that stick to my mind. My only problem with them is the continuing decreasing APY. Discover's APY decreases so frequently, last week when I checked, their APY was 1.90% and now it went down to 1.85%. Back in late August when I checked their APY was 2.01%. I know APY also correlated to the economy as well, but I want to be with a bank that changes the APY less frequently.

    submitted by /u/Megara_PearlBleu
    [link] [comments]

    Is it a good idea to open credit cards for their welcome bonuses only? Will closing these newly opened cards hurt my credit score?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 03:15 PM PDT

    So I'm 22 years old and just got this idea to open cards to get their welcome bonuses and then cancel them. Credit Karma showed me two cards with no annual fees that just require me to spend $500 in 3 months and they each will give me $150. I was hoping to get both and then cancel them after I get my money from them and use it. Is this a good idea? I currently have 2 credit cards with low balances.

    submitted by /u/fred_the_mailman
    [link] [comments]

    [Update] Current Employer came back with a counter offer. More than I expected.

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 05:17 AM PDT

    Just a quick update from my previous post,

    Quick recap, I work in the IT field and my employer gave me a promotion but the salary increase was not what I was expecting. My role and responsibilities aren't too bad, but I know there is more cutting-edge technologies I could be working on. A small firm reached out and offered me $12K more than my current salary.

    I told my boss about resigning and he was giving me options on staying. He told me to think about it, but would be supportive in any decision I made. Today, I get a call from his boss telling me what I would like to work on, and asked how much I would be making. I think I should not have answered that, but I was on the spot. He immediately offered $4K more than the other company. The smaller company will without a doubt, be much better for my career and long-term growth. It is also down the street from my current employer so commute isn't that big of a deal. I love my current co-workers, benefits are also better at my current employer. However, I feel like my manager is just an air-head when it comes to me specifically. My promotion also came from when I messaged HIS boss.

    For numbers reference:

    • Current Salary: $78K | 6% 401K Match
    • New Company: $91K | 3% 401K Match
    • Counter Offer: $95K | 6% 401K Match
    submitted by /u/MysticalStyle
    [link] [comments]

    Are there in between financial services options?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 07:45 PM PDT

    If so, how do I find them?

    I am interested in a 'financial health check-up' sort of service - a professional second set of eyes to help make sure my budgets and saving rates are decent, that there's no blind spots I'm unaware of, etc. Fee only advisors seem like overkill - common rates are $1000+ for onboarding, and $200+ monthly maintenance or $200/hr consulting - for my income and networth it's very hard to believe these could provide a positive return on investment. On the other end of the spectrum, there are free counseling services through social organizations to help budget, build credit, and get out of debt, but that's not my situation either.

    Is there an option between these two, or am I just badly underestimating the costs of providing financial guidance?

    submitted by /u/RecallCV
    [link] [comments]

    Traditional vs Roth - Income Limit question

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 02:40 PM PDT

    I am married and my wife and I have an income of right around 160k combined. However we both have jobs were we can easily work as much overtime as we want and we'll probably make around 200k in 2020.

    Is it possible for me to open and fully fund two Roth IRAs for us? Do I have to open a traditional because we make that much?

    Lastly, what happens if I open a Roth IRA and we make too much or I open a traditional and for a year we don't work overtime?

    Would I constantly have to convert it between being a Roth and traditional ira? My wife will eventually be a stay at home mom and I'll be making around 140k on my own.

    Hope that makes sense. I much rather pay the taxes now and take out money tax free when I retire. I plan on continually making more in my career. We live in a high tax state (NY).

    submitted by /u/gubba123
    [link] [comments]

    Seller sending unsolicited items

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 10:10 AM PDT

    An retailer has, due to a computer error at their end, sent me a duplicate of an order I made back in August. (I have their admission in writing). Worth about $100. They want me to wait in for an 8 hour window to have it picked up. I'm not willing to do that. (I've told them that the extent of my efforts will be to afix a label, tape it up, and leave it outside my house for collection.

    I know back in the UK (where I usually live)I have the right to be as hard-nosed and difficult as I like, and even keep the goods for free if they don't pick up in a reasonable time (I don't actually want the item). But I'm currently in the USA, and i don't know what my rights are here. Can anyone enlighten me?

    submitted by /u/shelf_caribou
    [link] [comments]

    IRS installment agreement

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 07:25 PM PDT

    I have an installment agreement from tax year 2016. I missed a few payments, made one 5/31 and then didn't make another until 9/30, despite them being due on the 20th every month. I'm not sure why I missed and I know it was a really stupid thing to do, so please spare me a lecture. I did receive a certified mail postmarked on the 12th. Would missing this many payments trigger a garnishment notice? I'm fully up to date now, I paid 3 payments worth on 9/30 and paid double the amount for october. I can't get the letter until Monday, so I'm anxious trying to figure out if this could be why I got the letter.

    submitted by /u/BusinessAioli
    [link] [comments]

    3 Evictions Notices that are not mine.

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 07:25 PM PDT

    Hello! So I am trying to move out of my current apartment due to an hr and 30 min commute to work and I want to live closer however I keep getting rejected and denied due to 3 eviction notices that are not mine. They belong to my dad who made me head of household when I turned 18 years old without my knowledge. I disputed it with the renters check bureau for 2 yrs straight. I even got a letter of discontinuance from the old apartment that handed out the eviction notices because my mom still lives there to this day...then I got a letter saying it was removed from my record but I'm still being denied due to these 3 eviction notices...how long does it take for your credit report to update? Sorry This is just super frustrating cause this isnt the first time my dad had really screwed me over.

    submitted by /u/ladyparanoia
    [link] [comments]

    Should i Ask for a Raise?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 12:55 PM PDT

    So I work at the Starbucks inside a target, and I know it may sound silly but the pay there is ridiculous for certain employees. There's Team Leads making about $22 an hour right now, and even higher is LODs with about $28, Our Standard Store Rate is at $16.50 right now. You're probably asking why i am typing this?

    It's simple. I've been working here since October 2018, & Ever since May i wanted to get out of Starbucks and move to more of the actual store. The thing is, Working at Starbucks, we've been caught up countless times they usually Steal me to work in other departments anyways. I am basically trained to do everything else in the store, Backstock, Poolings, Push Freight for the Truck, Setting, EXFs, etc. all that.. and right as i wanted to get out of Starbucks, everything went downhill.. There were only 4 of us working there. Everyone around me was New since everyone else just left or got fired. I had to Train them, basically, at times i feel like i have more responsibilities over everyone since i feel like I know all the knowledge already there, there's nothing else really to learn.

    Long story short, i told them i might leave but im uncertain because of how horrible it became with only like 4 of us, we have a new TL who sucked at ordering so we were also mostly out of stuff, New Members around me didn't care it was awful everytime i came in and i had to fix it up, I even did some Post-closing shifts to make sure the place got extra clean. We had a little Gnat problem, The deep Cleans were because of that aswell.. Our ice Machine just broke and we have to use Insanely Large Ice from HEB and its all frozen and super hard to even scoop. Everything was going so wrong the place was dying. Just working there was awful. That's why i went part time and refuse to work full time now because of the working environment, would it be bad if i asked for a raise? Im not asking for $22, but maybe even like $18.

    Oh, also. We do get Yearly Raises, I got a Small 30 cent raise because I had a high review in April, but a month later our Store bumped it's pay from $14.00 to $16.00 the minimum so I lost my raise, it didn't even add up. New People who don't even care about the place who half-ass everything get the same pay as me, and I have to train new members. How does that work?

    submitted by /u/WarmHotpocket
    [link] [comments]

    Have come to the realization that I am stupid and must have my hand held at all times. How do you find a job?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 08:34 PM PDT

    Hey there, I've been working at my current job for 7 years and I make $13.80 an hour. I am 29 and I am stupid.

    I've made many mistakes in life and I have no idea how to leave and find something better. I have no education outside of high school and I need something better. I have no idea where to go from here. I'm about to move and I don't have a car and I'm working full time, so I don't know how I can squeeze school into that. I'd rather just make a full transition.

    But I'm a loser, I've always been a loser, I probably always will be. I was wondering if anyone knew of just a simple way to find out who's hiring and for what and what I might have the best chances of getting that requires the least schooling (For now. Once I get a car I wouldnt mind going to a trade school). Thanks for your time, everyone, I will appreciate anything.

    submitted by /u/NeoGenMike
    [link] [comments]

    Is buying a house cheaper than renting apartment?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 08:25 PM PDT

    Hi, I hope this is the right place for this. My husband and I have rented for 10+ years and I want to buy a house but money is tight. Right now we pay $600 in rent but could go up to $900/mo if need be. We have only 5k in the savings. Zero debt. I've heard that in the long run it's cheaper to own, but I don't know where we'd get the down-payment.

    How do people like us buy a house? Would it be possible? Who would I even talk to to figure this out and would they laugh me out of the room?

    submitted by /u/dragonflyright
    [link] [comments]

    I’m about to go through an insolvency trustee. Should I?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 06:01 PM PDT

    They are filing a consumer proposal. As I understand it, this means some of the folks I owe money to may agree to lower the debt. All debts will be paid off at once, then I will pay the debt to the trustee interest-free, over five years. My credit, which is already very low, will take a big hit. I will have to cancel all credit cards. At the moment, I am still able to pay my minimums but it is getting pretty tight and at this rate it might not be long until I stop being able to pay. Is this the right way to go? I am feeling more afraid of letting go of the credit cards than I anticipated. Not sure why. I think I'm also just feeling a general sense of dread about being able to survive financially even if this is done. I am unemployed with 4 kids, and even when I try to be realistic about my spending, no matter what I try to cut out, I can't see how I can ever come out ahead, even once I am working. I do hope to be working soon after being a stay-at-home mom for 13 years. I'm recently single, which makes it doubly hard. Life is so expensive!

    submitted by /u/Thatdebgirl
    [link] [comments]

    Is there any way to get around Medicaid to invest money in stocks?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 08:11 PM PDT

    I have Cystic Fibrosis and am a 21 year old college student. I have South Carolina Medicaid to cover the expensive amount of drugs I need to survive. SC Medicaid allows me to have $7,730 dollars in liquid assets (stocks, cash, personal savings, etc). I'm investing my money to secure my future, but am finding it difficult because I can't go over that limit. Are there any possible ways to get around this limit in order to keep my Medicaid while investing money to make sure I have a financially stable life? It fucking sucks because I feel that, since I have this disease, it has become not just a physical handicap but also a financial one. Either I keep myself poor, and limit my income to receive medical coverage, or say screw it and drown in debt/not be able to afford my drugs. The system is messed up, I feel like. Any advice or thoughts are appreciated 😁, thanks all!

    submitted by /u/sable428
    [link] [comments]

    How much will taking a 1 year sabbatical effect career?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 05:55 PM PDT

    As some background, I am 23M with somewhat scattered work experience post-college as I worked at one job for 7 months and at my current job for 10 months. With my current financial situation, I have no debt, 30k in savings, and 32k in retirement and brokerage accounts. I have been considering taking a sabbatical starting in the New Year as I currently feel as if I need a break from work & want to explore the world as I have not had the ability to travel much. I was curious to see how this will affect my career in the long-run?

    submitted by /u/lopeza14
    [link] [comments]

    Rate my 401k allocations

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 05:36 PM PDT

    Hey all! Looking for advice on my 401k selections... I'm 36 and single... here's what I've got:

    Income:

    - Vanguard Intermediate Term Bond Index Fund - Admiral Class: 12%

    - PGIM High Yield Fund - Class R6: 13%

    Growth:

    - Vanguard 500 Index Fund - Admiral Class: 30%

    - Vanguard Mid-Cap Index Fund - Admiral Class: 15%

    - Vanguard Small-Cap Index Fund - Admiral Class: 10%

    Aggressive Growth:

    - Janus Henderson Triton Fund - Class N: 10%

    - Oakmark International Fund - Institutional Class: 10%

    How is that looking? Thanks!!!

    submitted by /u/captainsteamo
    [link] [comments]

    Using bonds as a way to take advantage of dips in stocks.

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 05:29 PM PDT

    I'm 34yo and all my retirement savings is in stocks. I've been pretty comfortable with it since I can ride out dips in the stock market. But I was wondering if people use bonds as a strategy to buy stocks when there is a dip in stocks?

    For example, I can exchange a portion of my stocks for bonds, hold it until there is a stock correction, and then exchange them back for stocks?

    The problem with Roth and 401K is that you have limited ability to time the market because of contribution limits. You can't move large amounts of money in at once. But with the existing funds in your 401K or Roth, you can move much larger amounts of money back and forth.

    I guess the most obvious problem is that it's hard to time the market. But having been through the last recession, it seems like the dips are pretty obvious when it happens? And it seems a lot of people are expecting another large correction in the next couple of years.

    submitted by /u/technobabblefish
    [link] [comments]

    I’m attending community college and will be graduating in May. Is some student debt ok?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 07:31 PM PDT

    I'm graduating community college in May with an AAS in Business Administration. I've started the FAFSA, but the only school I'm adding to the list so far is a Florida public school and I live in New York. Is it worth it to graduate and get a job or get a BS in Finance and accumulate two years worth of debt? My mom is requiring that I take out the federal maximum every year, and she hates discussing college finances with me. I don't think it really matters where I go to school, but she's pressuring me to apply to Cornell ILR. Should I focus more on cost or program reputation?

    submitted by /u/bradleypost
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord question

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 05:15 PM PDT

    Hey Guys, I have a few residential rentals I've made improvements on over the years that are definite improvements for the tenant (and significant investment for me) and have not raised the rent since each originally signed the lease several years ago. They don't seem to have much/any motivation to find someplace else to live so I am really struggling with asking for a modest increase in rent with the investments I have made, with wanting to keep these current tenants who are basically pleasant people and pay on time and don't give me much hassle. The investments made are things like bathrooms, new efficient HVAC units (that they will save significantly on their utility bill) flooring.... Just wondering others perspectives. Even if you aren't a landlord, just from a tenants perspective. When problems come up they are almost always fixed same day (plumbing, leaky roof etc) and I think I am at least as good of landlord as I have tenants. Thanks for the feedback...

    submitted by /u/lawnmower2017
    [link] [comments]

    What should I with 401k accounts accumulated across multiple jobs?

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 07:26 PM PDT

    Over the past few years, I've held multiple jobs, and each of them offered 401k Roth Ira accounts. I didn't do anything with them after switching jobs, but I should have access to them without any problems. I have one account with a company I been with for 4 years, one Roth IRA, from my last job, and one with my current employer.

    What should I do with the accumulated money from each account? I certainly don't want to cash them out, because I'll get penalized. And I feel like just keeping it where ever my previous employers put them would make it hard to manage.

    submitted by /u/ayosuke
    [link] [comments]

    Tax Implications for Saving for College

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 07:15 PM PDT

    I am a 22 year old looking to invest my marginal dollar for grad school. From what I understand, a Roth IRA's gains can be withdrawn for education to avoid the 10% early withdrawal. However, I will still be taxed on the gains as ordinary income at my marginal tax rate (22%). If that is the case, aren't normal non tax-advantaged accounts better, since they are only taxed at the capital gains rate of 15%? Why would anyone save for college via Roth IRA as opposed to using a non-tax advantaged account?

    submitted by /u/ShadowBlade615
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment