• Breaking News

    Monday, October 14, 2019

    Legal Advice Parents Starve me, Running from home at 12 (South Australia)

    Legal Advice Parents Starve me, Running from home at 12 (South Australia)


    Parents Starve me, Running from home at 12 (South Australia)

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 04:29 AM PDT

    Hello Reddit. My mother has beaten me several times in the past week, and starving me for days on end and smashing my books to study for my year 7 exams . I feel like running away. Right now i am posting this without them knowing im on my phone right now because they said i no longer have a phone when i called kids helpline and threatened to call 000.

    Please help i feel like suicide is the only option. I have saved up around $100AUD. I live near a park. Can i have some advice on whether it is illegal to run away from home, and where i can sleep without fear. My mum carries a baseball bat and bashes me with it ane whatever else is around it. Please help my mother is a psycho and uses drugs and alchohol

    submitted by /u/subatomicx_
    [link] [comments]

    *UPDATE* Company asked me to sign a non compete agreement 4 years after working there.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 10:07 AM PDT

    Hey just wanted to let you know that I was fired for not signing the agreement. I'm not going to use a lawyer to get my job back for wrongful termination (at will employment) I made the decision to take one of the jobs offered to me and will begin working there on Wednesday. I'm glad I'm out of there and I also let the new employment place know why I was fired. The other 2 employees refused also. They lost 3 employees today. The other 2 are going to see if there's anything legally they can do because they have never been written up, late or had bad reviews. We will see tho. Anyways thank you all for the help and advice.

    submitted by /u/NotSoCrEEPyGiRL
    [link] [comments]

    My wife wants our infant daughter to have chiropractic treatment, while I understand it’s dangerous and want to keep our daughter away from it (Ontario).

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 08:55 AM PDT

    My wife and I have a week-old infant daughter. We are on the same page with most things.

    However, my wife believes in the value of chiropractic medicine, while I think evidence shows that it's a pseudoscience. She seeks chiropractic treatment, I avoid it.

    Now we have a daughter and my wife wants to take her in for chiropractic. I understand that there are real risks to our daughter's spine if she undergoes it.

    If my wife insists, what recourse do I have?

    submitted by /u/canuckistani_lad
    [link] [comments]

    Told by coworker I may have Asperger's (autism). Fired soon after. Diagnosed with autism. Discrimination claim?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 03:26 AM PDT

    I was recently fired from a professional level job.

    Admittedly, I am a bit nervous by nature, especially around people who are cold or unsupportive. Several times my boss told me to "stop being nervous", but how am I supposed to do that? I was completely unaware that I had any rights regarding my known disabilities, I focused on the work and did my best. She gave me a negative rating on one portion of my 90-day review. My manager later said that my communication was improving. THEN: I had a conversation with a coworker who pointed out that I seemed to have some of the symptoms of autism. (I mentioned that I'd been seriously abused as a child.) I was fired within days of that. I was shocked, as there had been no negative feedback since my 90-day review.

    Then I was clinically tested and diagnosed with autism! I wouldn't even know I have autism if they hadn't pinted these things out. I think one of my coworkers told my manager about the conversation, made sense of my symptoms, and fired me for that.

    Is it discrimination if an employer suspects a disability based on what they've observed, and then fires you, and then you're subsequently diagnosed?

    One attorney recently said his practice wasn't large enough for him to case on due to the work it would require. He said to think of a straight-forward case as having one-level, compared to one that requires more discovery as having two-levels. He said look for someone with a personal interest in autism discrimination and to watch the filing deadlines for the ADA, EEOC, or the DFEH.

    So my case would have two levels. Aren't there any attorneys out there who are interested in furthering the rights of people with Asperger's (now Autism) in the workplace? There are very few protections at this point, and it makes me think of all the children who are going to be trying to work and succeed in the coming years. I was diagnosed late, so there aren't many services, programs, or even general support for adults with autism. I have no family or friends, no income, I haven't applied for SSDI or SSI because I'm able to work. Unfortunately, ABLE isn't the same as being hired. I've applied for job after job with no success, no income or savings left, and I've burned through my 401K.

    I wish there were some way to reach out to them and see if there was any way to negotiate a severance package and/or reinstatement (even at a level with less responsibility), but the lawyer told me that was naive and to pursue the contingency case.

    Not sure if it's relevant, but this employer has been previously sued for employment issues in the past.

    I'm aware I could file an EEOC claim, but I'd prefer to have an attorney and a plan in case they ultimately issue a right to sue

    Any advice? I'm in California.

    submitted by /u/stablegeniusinterven
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbor has over 10 cats and the entire block smells like cat piss, including the inside of my house.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 09:53 AM PDT

    Title. I live in South Philadelphia and my neighbor has what can only be described as a "cat hoarding" problem. They have got so many cats that the whole block smells absolutely horrific, and now my house smells like dying/dead cats. The other residents on my block have been here a lot longer than I have, and this has been a problem for a while. They mentioned attempting to take legal action but that it "wouldn't work" for some reason. Is there anything I can do? There's no way they are allowed to create such a disturbance that a house 2 houses down actively smells like cat piss.

    submitted by /u/Pudge13195
    [link] [comments]

    [UPDATE] [NJ] TIME SENSITIVE on my way to court against landlord, but he just now got back to me!

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 10:39 AM PDT

    Update to: https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/dcr1uc/nj_time_sensitive_on_my_way_to_court_against/

    TL;DR of my last post: after trying for several months to get my security deposit back, I am suing my former landlord in small claims court and the claim is tomorrow first thing in the morning. I'm on my way now to NJ (I moved out of state) and have paid for travel and taken 2 days off work. My former landlord has literally just texted me asking for my Venmo details. What do I do?

    Edited to add--totally forgot to say--thank you everyone who commented on the original! Although it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, I still really appreciate everyone taking the time to offer their perspective. With the information I had at the time, I would have done the same thing.

    I thought I'd update in case anyone has a similar experience. My question from my post was whether to reply to a text from my landlord about my security deposit the day before the small claims court date. The consensus was to ignore the text and wait until the court to decide, which I did. tl;dr is to next time just take whatever's offered, I guess.

    So, I went to court 10/4. In NJ, you have to mediate first and then if you can't come to an agreement it goes to the judge. My landlord never showed, so mine went before the judge with just me. As far as I can tell, you are not penalized for not showing up, so another lesson here could be if you don't want to show up to small claims then don't.

    I had prepared a statement and documentation (per instructions I found online) but the judge only read my lease and the claim I filed. She asked me a couple questions, but I otherwise didn't speak and she declined looking at any other documentation (e.g., a copy of the check).

    The first big problem was that the lease says the full security deposit, not how much each roommate pays. I paid 1/3 of the deposit, but only had the check to prove it. She said she'd take me at my word about the exact amount.

    The next problem was that I told her that my landlord did get in touch the day previous, but because I had already filed I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to reply so I didn't. She said "oh so he does intend to pay you" and that I should have taken what was offered and not bothered coming to court. I really wish I'd seen the comment by u/csbsju_guyyy recommending I not bring it up unless directly asked! To be fair, it was kind of in response to a question she asked, but it wouldn't have been lying not to mention it, so I don't know. It probably wouldn't have mattered anyway because of the lease.

    She concluded that he owes me the amount I claim to have paid for the security deposit plus my filing fee. I said I was also asking for damages but before I could say why she said that because of the ambiguity about how much I actually paid and that he seems willing to pay me back that she wouldn't be awarding anything. I was given a packet for how to get my money from the landlord, which includes garnishing his wages or putting a lien on his house, which will cost me additional filing fees but I think only $10 each.

    I just got the ruling thing in the mail a few days ago, so am waiting another little bit before doing so in case he decides to pay me now that the court has said so. Maybe she's right, and he does intend to pay me. I also replied to his text after I was dismissed saying that I didn't reply because I wasn't sure it was appropriate but the court said he needs to pay me and reimburse my filing fee. He said "You should have answered me yesterday" and that's it :(

    So all in all I was up there for less than 3 minutes. This is pathetic but tbh I cried after. The whole thing was just so ...sad? --I can't think of the word. Like immasculating but I'm female so whatever the non-gendered equivalent to that is. It was over so quickly, and the whole thing was just like perfunctory to everyone but me. The judge was so dismissive and impatient. It was so fast, and I don't think I said a full sentence the entire time. I felt silly and small asking for damages, but not having that money these last few months has been so hard. But the conversation wasn't about the landlord's behavior or the impact of this whole thing on me, which I should have realized. I think I was just very naive--to me, it was very clear that he was in the wrong. It turns out that not only does right vs. wrong not matter at all (that was not the issue for the court to decide), but also regardless he wasn't wrong anyway because he texted me. At the same time, I was wrong for not having the exact amount I paid in writing; not replying to his text; not still living in NJ; and probably for using semicolons incorrectly here. I don't want to go back to edit.

    So in sum, lessons for the next person:

    1) Put the exact amount you pay for the security deposit in writing and have it signed. This I think is the most important by far. I've rented my whole adult life with roommates and never thought of this, which is in retrospect a very dumb oversight on my part.

    2) If someone offers to pay you what's owed, even if you're on your way to court, take the money. Whether you continue to court or not is outside my experience, IDK what would have happened had I done this.

    3) Spend as little money as possible in trying to get your money back. I didn't think I'd get reimbursed necessarily but I did think I'd get damages, even when I told myself not to think that, so while I tried to spend as little as possible I see now that I could have spent even less (e.g., tried to fly in the day of and risk being late instead of the train the day before).

    4) Be prepared to walk away with nothing so you don't end up like me--crying outside the NJ court house as you spiral into a panic attack because you're going to keep getting poorer and no one cares and nothing really matters.

    TL;DR: The court ruled in my favor that the landlord owed me my security deposit plus my filing fee ($42). Because my landlord got in touch with me and the way the security deposit was written in the lease, I was not awarded any damages.

    submitted by /u/njcourtthrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    Sarasota, FL police are ticketing vehicles that have backed in to parking spots at my office building.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 06:13 AM PDT

    I have tried to find the state and local statutes regarding back in parking, but no luck. The only thing I can find is about having the license plate visible while parking in public lots. Is an office building parking lot considered public?

    submitted by /u/SoapSudsAss
    [link] [comments]

    Wisconsin - HR outed my wife after encouraging her to report a dangerous and potentially violent employee

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 09:32 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    My wife (who is an LPN) works third shift at an assisted living home. An employee there constantly works double shifts (they are a CNA) and in order to sustain that type of schedule, constantly sleeps during their shift and consistently leaves at 5am when they are scheduled to 6:30am, leaving my wife to try to make up for the slack. The employee also has bragged previously that they conceal carry, don't care about going to jail and would retaliate against anyone that tries to call them out for their lazy/shady habits. This employee purposely ignores call lights for long periods of time during the night so when they finally go to answer it, they find the people who called are sleeping which then allows them to mark that they answered it without actually aiding the person. This leaves people soaking for long periods of time in their own urine, or worse, and is a major health issue for the residences. She has also lied on other employees who try to call her out by trying to falsely accuse them of actions that may jeopardize their license, which she successfully got an employee fired for already. Bottom line, horrible person.

    My wife was encouraged by her supervisor to make an anonymous complaint regarding these actions in order to get the toxic employee out, which only after verifying their procedure for their complaint processes and being assured it would be anonymous, proceeded to go ahead and do. My wife and multiple other nurses all wrote statements and submitted it. HR, for some unknown reason, refused to get involved so the investigation was handed off to a supervisor/manager who IMMEDIATELY outed my wife's name to the employee. My wife was contacted by co-workers stating that the employee was going way out of her way to trash talk my wife and tell everyone she could that my wife filed a complaint of pure lies against her. My wife kept records of all communications after she found out and also refused to come into work until HR could address the issue and assure her that she would be coming back to a safe environment. This is where it went really wrong.

    HR and management completely ignored her requests after this point. They went radio silent for over 5 days where her calls and emails asking them to meet with her and outline how the issue will be resolved were not addressed nor returned. She kept calling into work for her own protection and recorded the communications as proof that she both notified her supervisor of her absence and the reason why she was doing it. During these 5 days, reports from other co-workers in regards to the slanderous retaliation of the employee were flooding into my wife's phone. Finally, on Friday at 3pm, a mere hour before HR is gone for their weekend, my wife gets an email stating that she has "no call no showed" for a week. It goes on to then lightly mention that they have been made aware that my wife made a "minor complaint" and that she had to come in, mid week, at the most inconvenient time imaginable to discuss the complaint or it would be considered a voluntary resignation of her position by her. Between the scheduled meeting date and when she got the email, she was still scheduled to work 3 more days along side the employee in question, thus an example of them knowingly putting her safety at risk by making her work in an unsafe environment, not to mention at risk of retaliation.

    What are her options to fight this? I believe the issue stems from the CNAs being union but the nurses are not, so my theory is they may find it easier to screw over my wife instead of removing a seriously dangerous employee. Any help would be appreciated.

    submitted by /u/That0neGuy86
    [link] [comments]

    Landlord is asking tenant (me) to vacate property TODAY for renovations with no notice. (Alexandria, Virginia)

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 09:00 AM PDT

    Today, my girlfriend and I were woken up at 8:00 AM to knocking on our door by painters, asking us to paint the room. We misunderstood and asked them not to come in. The landlord texted us at 9:40AM, saying we had to leave for them to paint, and would pay the night for a hotel, but that we had 25 minutes to get back to her about the hotel. The painters would be there for 3 days and she is trying to push us out today.

    EDIT: Also, if we had not been home, the painters would have entered without us even knowing, they DID enter our roommates room without her knowing because she was gone.

    Does she have to give a notice ahead of time before asking us to vacate for painting? Is she even allowed to ask us to leave the room for painting? Thank you for your time!

    submitted by /u/Spicy_Eskimo
    [link] [comments]

    Woman accused me of breaking into my apartment complex, even though I live there

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 11:29 PM PDT

    I was walking into my apartment building, and as soon as I got in the door, this woman in my complex said she didn't believe I lived there. I said I did, and I tried to walk past her. Then she grabbed me and tried to pull me back towards the door. I made an attempt to get up the stairs with her trying to drag me. I turned around and I punched her. She kept coming after me so I kicked her and made a run for it.

    My brother came over, and an hour later she ran into my living room and starting hitting me with an ice cream scooper. I didn't hit back. My brother got the scooper out of her hand and we talked her down until she left. The next day, I woke up to the sound of her trying to break my door down. She put dents in my door and the door knob is broken.

    She is filing a report against me for punching her. Did I have cause for self-defense?

    submitted by /u/trikuza23
    [link] [comments]

    What to do with equipment left behind by contractor

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 12:12 PM PDT

    My mother had her deck extended in the spring (job started April 15th 2019 - finished may 1st 2019) Upon finishing the job he was paid and completely disappeared. Leaving a shop vac, several saw horses, and a table saw. We made about a dozen attempts to contact him through email, phone call, and text to no avail. My sister who is a friend of his also cannot reach him, neither can my father who has also used his services. It's been about 6 months at this point and his stuff is still in her garage. He is on Facebook and is active often (so we know he's not dead or incarcerated)

    My mother is worried as to the risk associated with this. The table saw and scattered accessories total about $500 not counting the rest of the equipment and she doesn't want to be held accountable if this stuff gets damaged. She also wants to be able to park in her garage during the upcoming winter. What action can be taken at this point? Can we get rid of it all? Can he take action if in a year he comes looking for it and it become damaged from the cold or some act of god?

    Location: Geauga county, Ohio, USA

    submitted by /u/hewhoroasts
    [link] [comments]

    My ex girlfriend says she intends to put our unborn baby up for adoption and I have no say in the mature [UK]

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 12:19 AM PDT

    She claims that the choice is hers to make. I said I'd raise the baby alone before adoption and she said "that isn't happening"

    Please help me here. What are my rights? I'm freaking out.

    Edit: no say in the matter* sorry. I'm

    submitted by /u/KaladinStormborn90
    [link] [comments]

    My friend is being called to jury duty, but does not have status (illegal) in the US. What now? [CA]

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 11:48 PM PDT

    My friend received a jury summons in the mail (we are in California). I asked him how that was possible since he was not legal, but we are assuming he may have accidentally claimed otherwise at some point. He's really scared of deportation, so I've come for advice if anyone is willing to lend a hand. Any advice would be appreciated.

    I also have a few questions:

    1. If they find out that he is undocumented, will they communicate this to immigration authorities?
    2. Could his low proficiency in English also be an excuse for him not to go?

    NOTE: As I'm writing this, he tells me that he went in person to ask someone at court regarding this issue. The person he talked to told him he needed to send a letter back stating that he is unfit to be juror because he is not a resident They said he needs to send proof as well. In this case, he suggested his passport number from his native country. Is this how it's supposed to work? Would releasing this information get him in trouble? Any further confirmation of any of this would be greatly appreciated.

    We'd appreciate any and all advice regarding this issue. Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/larkcanfly
    [link] [comments]

    Ubisoft falsely advertised their service and is now threatening to block any further purchases on my account if I try to file it charge it back.

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 07:02 PM PDT

    (US, Michigan) Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but I'm not sure how to handle this. I subscribed to Ubisoft's new subscription service Uplay+ because it was advertised at $1 per month on their PC launcher.

    https://imgur.com/GE7gJLG

    https://imgur.com/C4bY9LK

    It also came with a free month. After the first month they charged me $15 for it, which caused a charge-back from my bank as I use my local bank for purchases and move the rest of my money to an online back for the better interest. I contacted Ubisoft Support about this and all they have done is respond to all of my messages with "this was a visual error displayed during the subscription process on the web store and has since been resolved. The dollar was an authorization hold for the free trial month of September." They keep repeating this in every response they give me, and when I said I would go to PayPal and have them charge it back, they told me " any charge-back methods as this will halt any further purchase ability of this account." Which sucks because I would have to create a new account, losing all of my previews purchases, or never buy anything from Ubisoft on PC again, which would mean I could not buy any new games or new content for my current games.

    This has got to be false advertising, what can I do about it?

    submitted by /u/OZZ13_15
    [link] [comments]

    My partner who is 50/50 in a restaurant stole thousands from me

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 07:15 AM PDT

    Hello. I own a restaurant (in Michigan) with my partner 50/50. He runs most of the day to day operations as I'm more of a silent partner. I found out recently he's stolen thousands of dollars from me in the last few years. What are the legal ramifications? Can I fire him when we are 50/50? If he stole $XX,000 dollars, do I only collect half bc half would have been his anyway?

    I'm also thinking about selling the restaurant. Would he be obligated to receive half Of that as well? Such a dilemma. Appreciate any advice you all can give me

    submitted by /u/verab23
    [link] [comments]

    Please help: My boyfriends little brother recorded us in my bfs room!

    Posted: 13 Oct 2019 11:03 PM PDT

    Okay so this is a throwaway for obvious reasons because this is honestly so f-ing gross. Also on mobile sorry for format. I speak English so I'm just dumb if there's mistakes.

    Context: my bf lives at his parents house. So my boyfriend and I yesterday night were having some consensual sexy time (but not intercourse) in his room. I am an 18 y/o female and he is a 17 y/o male (I am in Texas, age of consent is 17.)

    When we finished, my bf saw a glowing light and his little brother's (15 y/o male, adopted) school issued iPad recording us in my boyfriends closet (it was recording a black screen). Obviously made to record us having fun time. We were both disgusted and deleted the video immediately - from recently deleted as well.

    I asked my bf what happened when I left; he said he caught little brother running out of his room with his iPad, kinda stuttering when confronted and not saying much. I had him ask if he had done it before but his brother denied - which we obviously can't trust. Another thing is that little brother doesn't like to listen to his parents or my bf in general(I think it's a phase of "they aren't my real parents" I don't really understand because I wasn't but yeah) I told my bf tonight to tell his parents about the whole incident.

    I want to press charges if it doesn't get resolved with his parents. Plus, I'd like to know our privacy rights. It was in his parents home but there should be some level of privacy laws right? We both consented but we did NOT consent to being recorded unknowingly. This is just kinda gross, sorry.

    Edit: I can't spell

    Edit 2: I now understand that I can't press charges - only a attorney can. If worst comes to worst I will file a police report and contact an attorney to decide where to go from there. We are talking to him tonight and I'll be bringing a list of sex offender restrictions as well. Thank you all for your helpful information again it really helps a lot!

    submitted by /u/throwawayplshelp_123
    [link] [comments]

    [TX] Had a guy take over my lease, and he didn't pay and is now being evicted. Landlord is asking me to pay up, no knowledge of if the new lease was signed. What can/should I do?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 07:58 AM PDT

    EDIT: He did sign the lease

    submitted by /u/A_Sack_Of_Potatoes
    [link] [comments]

    Teenage son forwarded 15-16 year old lewd photos on Instagram...

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 10:47 AM PDT

    I live in Kentucky. My son (15 M) received photos of a girl (15-16?) a junior in HIS high school. My son confirmed the grade but not the age of the girl.

    This was on a "hidden" phone since he's been in some trouble before and found an old phone where he's been doing quite a few nefarious things. :(

    Apparently, this girl either had a boyfriend, or what she thought was a boyfriend, that she sent some very explicit photos. I discovered them on his hidden Instagram account in his PMs. They somehow got out of the boyfriend's account. I don't know if on purpose or not. My son received them from a friend and then forwarded them on to at least 3-4 other kids.

    My issues... Morally, I feel compelled to contact this girl's parents, directly or indirectly, to let them know that their daughter has been victimized. On the other hand I, of course, want to minimize the potential harm to my son as well, but I believe that he needs to own to what he did and accept the consequences. From my research it looks like this incident may be construed as a class D/class C felony?

    And what, legally, would be our liability in this situation, from the extreme of not reporting at all, to contacting the parents/authorities and letting them know our son's part in this? My primary reasoning behind this is that Mom and I may well come down on different sides as to what to do. We're just now discussing this ourselves.

    Thanks for any advice in advance!

    submitted by /u/lfstern
    [link] [comments]

    New Brewery is blinding me in my home in residential area.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 11:10 AM PDT

    A brewery opened up down the street near my fairly rural home. (About 1/3 a mile away) The lights from the parking lot are so bright that I've had to purchase black out curtains in order to sleep at night. The issue is they are pointed outwards overlooking a field and also pointing at my house. I've asked them to simply aim the lights more downward or perhaps put covers over the upper parts of the light that shine past their property. Not only has this caused me issues of not being able to enjoy the usual dark and quiet rural area but I'm worried it could also scare away potential future home buyers and lower the value of my house.

    I'm curious if legally there is anything I can do to force their hand in fixing the light issue.

    Thanks for the help ahead of time. Location: OH, USA

    submitted by /u/Dgreenmile
    [link] [comments]

    Leasing manager deemed my apartment untentable but is now saying I still owe rent.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 06:39 AM PDT

    Apartment in Maryland. Going to try to give details, some may be irrelevant. My lease was through 9/30. On 7/28- I informed the leasing manager of mold and a leak in our walls. They sent maintanence who said the leak was fixed and that I could just clean the walls. So I did. On 7/18, I informed the leasing agent that I was moving out on 8/12. 8/12- I moved out. 8/14 - they conducted and inspection and determined immense flooding. Leasing manager decided to renovate the whole apartment because of the flooding. (I was stupid and didn't get it writing). She said I wouldn't be held responsible for the last month of rent because of this. 9/1- I got online to make sure the bill was okay, couldn't sign on to my account. 9/17- I get a letter for rent, late charge, cost of advertising, and utility penalties.

    As of 10/08, there were still renovating the apartment. The leasing manager won't even talk to me and has said I have to talk to the larger property manager. This person has informed me that I have to pay for everything because I broke the lease.

    Is there anything I can do? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/Liseonlife
    [link] [comments]

    A year ago someone hit my car and left a giant hole in the back. For some reason after filling out all their insurance info that was requested, I still haven’t received compensation or repairs.

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 10:41 AM PDT

    The last thing I was told was that his insurance was going to find me a location to get my car fixed and it would be covered by them entirely. I still haven't gotten any word back from them and I plan on making a call with them soon to see what the heck happened. Do I still have a claim to the insurance a year later?

    Los Angeles, California

    submitted by /u/IFeelLikeAndy
    [link] [comments]

    Realtors leaving lockboxes outside of the designated lockbox area

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 06:57 AM PDT

    This is in NY, but not NYC. Clearly this is not the most pressing issue that will be posted today but any advice would be appreciated nonetheless haha.

    So I live in a co-op. There are nine or ten units on the market right now, and each one has a lockbox with a set of keys for realtors to show them. There's a path on the south side of the building leading to the back door, and the gate that opens to it has a big "designated lockbox area" sign on it. The main entrance has a "no lockboxes" sign on the fence. Guess where all but two of the lockboxes are hanging!

    Anyway, a board member that I'm friendly with asked me if I know what they can do about this because I used to work in the real estate industry. Apparently the board has tried reaching out to the agents (both directly through their respective clients) and have either been ignored or given some lame excuse as to why they won't move them. I suggested reaching out to their brokers, which got one of the lockboxes moved to the appropriate spot, but the rest were met with the same results as when they tried speaking with the agents. Notably that they "don't feel safe" getting keys from the designated area, which is ridiculous because it's about a foot away from the sidewalk on a reasonably high traffic street in a very safe neighborhood.

    Apparently they've considered fining the shareholders with the offending lockboxes, but most of them have actually tried to get their agents to move the lockboxes and this board doesn't like to throw fines around unless completely necessary. They've also considered banning lockboxes altogether and making agents get keys from the superintendent, but he shouldn't have to deal with that burden and nobody will be happy when a showing coincides with a broken toilet. So that leaves us with the question of what to do now.

    Can they cut the lockboxes off of the fence and have the agents pick them up? If they go this route I'd suggest sending certified mail to each office giving the agents 30 days to move the lockboxes before they get cut. Would the co-op be responsible for replacing them?

    They've also discussed blacklisting offices that have refused to move their lockboxes. This is inelegant due to the fact that it limits the shareholders' options for listing their apartments, so it's not really a favored approach. But is it something they can legally do if they decide to go this route?

    I get how silly this is but in all honesty, having a row of lockboxes in front of the main entrance really does look like shit, and the maintenance staff does a great job of keeping that area looking great otherwise. Beyond that, I have personal experience with realtors believing that rules don't apply to them, so the whole situation is somewhat grating just on principle. Anyway, any other suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/noticetothrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    Sister had wedding and signed marriage certificate but never filed it - does she need a divorce?

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 06:55 AM PDT

    My younger sister had a wedding in March (in Kentucky). Her (maybe?) husband and herself applied for a marriage license, had the wedding, and everyone signed the marriage certificate. The officiant told my sister it was her and her husband's responsibility to file the marriage certificate, which they never did. It's still sitting in a drawer in my sister's bedroom. My sister and her husband have never lived together and don't have any children or shared assets.

    Long story short, they've recently had a very ugly breakup. My sister just wants to give her husband the ring and his things back and shred the certificate, but her husband is claiming that they will need a legal divorce since they had a ceremony and everyone signed the certificate, it was just never filed. He wants to file the certificate and then go through the divorce process. He also said he'll try to have her hospitalized if she tries to leave him, which is honestly why I think he wants to file the certificate and be her legal husband. She has mental health struggles and has been hospitalized in the past, but she's actually doing really well right now.

    Legally, do they need to go through the divorce process or are they allowed to just shred the certificate and move on with their lives?

    submitted by /u/therestispredictable
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor possibly accused me of being a pedophile

    Posted: 14 Oct 2019 11:33 AM PDT

    The neighbor across the street thinks i'm a pedophile because I walk to work at 3pm in the same direction of a school. She thinks I look into her windows and watch her kids. The only thing I can see out of my windows are her apartment. She lives in the corner apartment, I look around the corner while approaching with my dog because there are lots of other dogs around and she could easily knock me over. There's no way I can look out my window without seeing her apartment. She sits on her patio and talks on the phone about it loud enough for all of my other neighbors to hear.

    She's calling the cops, they watch me walk my dog every day and have been following me on my way to work. They pulled alongside me while I'm walking my dog multiple times now and just stare me down and cough loudly when I look around the corner.

    I think they're upset about the fact that I legally smoke pot in my apartment and the landlord doesn't care. At first people were complaining about it and trying to claim I smoke on my patio or when I walk my dog, which I don't, and now its escalated into this.

    I don't know what to do, I'm afraid of cops to be honest. Deathly afraid. It seems like they're trying to intimidate me, or she's using them as a tool to intimidate me. I'm afraid she's trying to frame me so I get evicted.

    Im in the U.S.

    submitted by /u/1234023958throwaway
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment