• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 30, 2019

    I feel screwed Sales and Selling

    I feel screwed Sales and Selling


    I feel screwed

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 10:35 AM PDT

    I just started at a company a little over a month ago with a low base and commission structure. Our starting role's are as IAE for accounts nobody has touched in years. However, I have just closed the largest revenue deal of anyone in the company for less than 3 months history. Most of the deals people are closing are around $30,000 in revenue while the one I just closed is roughly $600,000. Most of my commission from this account will come from recurring monthly revenue with a monthly GM of nearly $15,000. With my commission I have now nearly doubled my base salary with this one deal, however, management decided that I will be receiving a "promotion" into a BDR role. The role does have a higher base but no commission structure and I will be stripped of my account and any GM from it after the move. This "promotion" will take me from a IAE role to a BDR role and I will go from making 70k ote with this account to 50k ote. I feel absolutely screwed out of what I worked my ass off for. Have I been screwed in you all opinions?

    submitted by /u/DennisReynoIds
    [link] [comments]

    Lady wasted hours of my time and racked up total to $1000, now she’s ignoring me. Help?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 07:47 AM PDT

    I sell horse equipment on Facebook / Facebook messenger. This one lady was buying a new horse and started messaging me for new equipment... totally racking up the costs, going all out, getting doubles of some things. I told her the totals along the way so she'd know what she's signing herself up for and doesn't have to feel a shock at the end that will deter her from closing the sale.

    But out of nowhere she's ignoring my messages, now that she's done shopping and it's time to go through with purchasing the items. She has wasted likely 15 hours of my time. I'm friends with her on Facebook so I can literally see her posting garbage... 3 minutes ago, 5 minutes ago, etc... I "like" the post to remind her of me, I messaged her yesterday asking if now is a good time to talk, I messaged her today and asked how her new horse is doing.

    I am trying not to be a pushy salesman. But goddammit this lady wasted so much of my time and got my hopes so far up by almost making me a $1000 sale. And now she's just ignoring me and I can SEE her active on Facebook while I'm trying to get in touch with her.

    WTF do I do? Why are there people like this in the world? How do you other salesmen cope with this shit and these people?

    submitted by /u/Cameroni_
    [link] [comments]

    Alcoholic beverage sales

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 11:40 AM PDT

    Hey all, I work in the beer industry currently (as a brewer) but am starting to branch out in to sales to help out during the slow season. I have 0 experience in sales, and was curious if anyone here does sales in this industry that would be willing to share any insights. I am currently doing some readings about cold calling and how to reach the right person but this industry is pretty small, and the big breweries offer some crazy incentives to bars and restaurants. I know the products inside and out, so I guess I'm really just looking for any advice on how to approach selling. Lots of great information floating around this sub to dig through in the meantime! Cheers!

    submitted by /u/BREWSER613
    [link] [comments]

    [UPDATE] How do you battle making a lot of money while not believing in the product, while still sleeping at night?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 12:46 PM PDT

    Hey all, I thought you'd enjoy hearing that I did the right thing.

    I quit today.

    Yep, I quit the job because the guilt was too much. I realized I can't live a life of taking from others. I firmly believe you can be in sales and make a fortune while still providing value and helping others. I tried to cut corners with this job and take short cuts in life and the only way to make it right was to leave.

    I left on great terms and my boss completely understood. It's not for everyone. You can't return once you've uncovered the truth and don't like it.

    What's next? Well, I'm starting a media company. Like right now. Selling websites, video, and photo. I'm a hustler and going to work hard as fuck and give myself 2 months. If I can afford rent for the third month then I'm just going to keep going.

    Time for rice, beans, ramen, and hotdogs. I'm excited as fuck to finally pull the trigger and start my own company. I did it in college doing websites and was great at it. Time to return.

    I did the hard thing. I did the stupid thing to a lot of people. But I feel at peace with myself and know that I'm a smart kid with needed skills and I will hustle more than anyone else. I'll be fine. In fact, I'll fuckin flourish.

    submitted by /u/HoytG
    [link] [comments]

    hi. i’m the only sdr on my team right now, and i can’t hit my monthly goal for setting meetings. what’s wrong with me?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 04:14 AM PDT

    for context, i work for a saas company that sells to the top 30% of school districts in the country. there are 3 AEs and i run cold outreach for all three of them. my goal for october was to set 26 meetings, and i'm currently at 15.

    i mostly rely on email (as that was the norm when they hired me) but have started trying cold calling. i mostly get voicemails and secretaries.

    i've been in this role since january and have only hit my monthly meeting goal ONCE, and i'm constantly stressed out about being fired. i don't feel like i have a ton of support, and theres lot of pressure to make it work without support. (when meeting numbers are down, my bosses ask me why that is— but i don't know the answer. shouldn't they?)

    any advice/tips? this feeling sucks.

    submitted by /u/bippebepp
    [link] [comments]

    what is the best course to learn about cold calling, and sales for absolute beginners? but not some dan lock stupid stuff

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 11:41 PM PDT

    Aspiring European Salesman Looking For Advice

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 09:08 AM PDT

    Hey guys,

    Italian recent graduate here, I'm motivated to start a career in saas sales and I'm looking for some guidance.

    I'm struggling to find professional in my region to connect with.

    Any of you working in the field in Europe is willing to help an inexperienced lad with some mentoring?

    submitted by /u/elkais
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for Good D2D/telesales verticals

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 12:41 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm looking for industries/companies that I could build out a D2D office/call center for here in NorCal that are ethical, provide a substantial benefit to the customer, and compensate enough to provide normal W-2 employment for 10-15 people in the first 90 days.

    I've been consulting for D2D/Telesales companies for the last 10 years. I've run call centers and field offices for Energy Deregulation, Telecom, and some solar lead generation. However, most of these campaigns weigh heavily on me because 80% of the customers do not benefit and are misled to some degree.

    Any industries ideas or relevant companies names would be helpful.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/crawliesmonth
    [link] [comments]

    Opinions on this job?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 12:30 PM PDT

    So I'm on day 3 of training for a home remodeling 100% commission job. Things are good I'm learning a lot.

    There's currently 16 employees or salesman/women I should say.

    Out of those 16, 7 are making more that 4/5k a month in commission, and 3 of those are over 10k this month with the top girl at 17k right now. Seems impressive, great money. However the bottom 9 are around 1-3k in commission this month. Should I be concerned about how the majority are barely scraping by or enthusiastic on how 7+ are making 4-5k plus a month? My last job I was making 3k a month so anything higher is an upgrade.

    New to sales btw.

    submitted by /u/nixkms2
    [link] [comments]

    How do I get my foot in the door to become a sales rep for furniture manufacturer?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 12:27 PM PDT

    I currently work for one and the current sales rep over my state (also has a few more) is now 70 years old. There has been talks about him retiring or potentially even getting pushed out due to the fact he isn't really active in getting new accounts and only sits back collecting on older accounts.

    I've brought up I would be interested since I believe I am personable and have worked in sales (retail) before but was kind of brushed off. When I brought it up again I was told "how about this if you go out and show us you could land sales in our state then we will take you more serious." I was pre warned no expenses would be paid until I actually make a commission check.

    This company pays above average from what I've heard from other reps in commission and honestly I could make really good money if I took over this territory (it's 6 states in total) which could open up a huge amount of business if I put the work in, not including inheriting the pre existing accounts that are already set.

    Edit: I work in the warehouse now as a manager and know the product, processes, specific dating and everyone there.

    submitted by /u/overaname
    [link] [comments]

    Frito-Lay Route Sales questions

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 12:10 PM PDT

    Hello everyone. I think I'm hitting some theoretical roadblocks with this job that aren't necessarily exclusive to the job itself. Just bear with me please. I'm a high school graduate and have no college experience on marketing or sales. I have had several retail and sales jobs to a consumer, but this is really my first job where I am a third party selling to a distributor. I have set sales goals on a weekly basis. Frito Lay considers itself a "growth" modeled company so these sales goals are always structured for increase compared to the previous years' sales goal. They also factor a six week rolling trend into the algorithm.

    My problem starts with the motives behind this strategy. It seems to me that these motive are driven by shareholders' financial interest without concern for the future. This pressure put onto CEOs of the company rolls down to supervisors all the way down to the physical salesman. I'm familiar with the term "shit rolls downhill", but I'm wondering when or where does it cross a legal line??

    We get forced shipment orders all the time to shove into stores which take up shelf space and pretty much takes away our ability to locally tailor the sales to the store. We also get penalized on our paychecks when we have to credit this stale product back to the stores.

    We get planograms in certain stores that are below the minimum quantities that we can order which forces us to break planogram. The idea is that we should be splitting up the product between stores, but all of the stores are moving into a sell in program that has to be populated on a handheld computer making sale edits near impossible.

    There's many different examples I could give, but they are all obvious attempts by upper management to slice into our time and paychecks for more profit. The risks they take are risks for the salesmen, not themselves. I've been trying to stay positive and work my ass off, but this seems like a failing system in the long run which I'm too low on the totem pole to be able to influence or improve. It makes me worry about my own hide of course, but also makes me question the system of capitalism in general. Can anyone help shed some light on some of this or at least point me towards some understanding?

    submitted by /u/Agelesslink
    [link] [comments]

    Entry Level Pay and Commission for Staffing Firms

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 12:06 PM PDT

    What is a good base salary and commission rate for an entry level recruiter in a staffing firm?

    submitted by /u/ryanryanryan28
    [link] [comments]

    Guidance Request - Sales Position - Mergers & Acquisitions (Canada)

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 11:59 AM PDT

    Hello All,

    I've been working at this Mergers & Acquisition / Business Development Advisory firm for just under 4 months. When I had originally started it was under the premise that I would be making $18.50/h (40/wk) and after the 3 months probationary period we would formally revisit a new salary / commission structure. I accepted as my sales experience was limited to working for Future Shop (Canada's commission based BestBuy) for approximately 7 years. That talk is about 3 weeks overdue and I was planning to have it on the 1st of next month. But I wanted to go into it with as much ammunition as possible to support a satisfactory outcome. So I'm hoping that I can pick your brains.

    As far as my job title, I'm actually uncertain of what it would be anywhere else in the industry. In house I'm a "Business Development Manager". From what I can gather, I would say BDR is a rough approximation of what I do (?). My typical responsibilities are prospecting new buyers for clients in the pipeline (mostly sell-side), prospecting for new selling entities, vetting prospects/reviewing financials, negotiating terms/fee structures and for all intents and purposes, walking prospects from suspect --> closed transaction.

    Throughout training there's been minimal growing pains as I have the sales background to get in the groove quite quickly. I have a good relationship with my HR manager and sales director who I workshop with to navigate the nuances of transactions. The unknown element is the company director himself (whom I need this chat with).

    With all that being said, I've just signed a client that puts approximately $800,000 in the pipeline for the company (initial fees + success fee) and have formally proven my mettle. For perspective, the firm sees about 3-4 of these clients at best per year. Maybe 1-2 larger ones in an above average year.

    Would anyone here have any advice or examples with how I should approach conversation with my boss in terms of base salary and commission structure? My sales experience, while lengthy was more higher volume $500-2500 transactions than higher quality transactions based on $5,000,000 - $35,000,000 revenue companies. So I'm uncertain as to what I should expect and how I should approach getting a satisfactory outcome.

    Any insight would be deeply appreciated.

    Thanks a bunch!

    submitted by /u/Gregolo
    [link] [comments]

    Marketing to local law enforcement

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 11:50 AM PDT

    Hey guys. I sell homes a builder in my area. This week I've sold two to local law enforcement. Anyone have any idea besides getting referrals from them, to get business cards to the sheriff and police officers? I'm thinking of just walking in but I'm worried that it is inappropriate. What do you guys think? Will they be okay with that? Or any other ideas?

    submitted by /u/bmosammy
    [link] [comments]

    Brandable perishable gifts

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 11:12 AM PDT

    Hello folks,

    Im looking for bakeries who can customize their baked goods to be branded with my firm's logo, and ship anywhere within the USA. Volume should be minimum 2 dozen orders per month, and increasing over time. Got suggestions?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/justshowingup
    [link] [comments]

    Interested in getting into SaaS. What are your opinions on it? If it is a good industry, how does one get into it?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 10:37 AM PDT

    Hello Everyone!

    I have been in sales, customer service, and digital marketing for awhile now. I have quite a bit of experience working with people whether that be in person or over the phone.

    So I have been hearing people do amazingly in the SaaS sales department and I am very interested in becoming a part of an SaaS Company, but I really do not know how to. Is it worth getting into this industry? If so, how does one do it?

    I am only 20 years old but have about 5 years of experience regarding customer service, sales, and digital marketing in total (skipped college to develop these skills). I grew up as kind of a "geek" and I love technology and certain software intrigues me.

    I don't want nor expect a "get rich quick" stupid pitch. I'm just interested in having a job with a meager base salary (like literally 30-40,000 with the potential of growing significantly if I work my ass off. I feel like the SaaS sales industry would be a good fit, but I really do not know where to start.

    Any help would be very appreciated!

    submitted by /u/NoahGH
    [link] [comments]

    Are sales job postings stating an annual amount trustworthy, why or why not.

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 10:36 AM PDT

    Updating LinkedIn Before Start Date?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 10:12 AM PDT

    Hi Everyone! I just posted this on r/careerguidance but since the role is sales specific and LinkedIn is a big piece of networking with prospects and clients, I would love the opinion of r/sales!

    I am likely overthinking this, but I just left my first career after 4.5 years and am starting a new position after taking some much needed time off. I don't want it to look like I left my current role without something lined up but also wasn't sure if it's appropriate to update with my new role before starting. What is the most up to date etiquette here?

    A bit more info --I left my role at a huge payroll/HCM company October 2 and start my new role at a very tiny software startup November 18.

    Both roles are in sales and I feel that it's a way to update my colleagues as well as potential clients for either product, but I just feel there's a stigma for updating too early.

    I have read a few articles around this but they seem a bit dated and would love to hear other opinions!

    submitted by /u/ElvisFanatic
    [link] [comments]

    How often do you get a customer?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 09:29 AM PDT

    On AVERAGE how often do YOU get a customer?

    What industry are you in?

    Inside or outside sales?

    submitted by /u/zack397241
    [link] [comments]

    Hot Lead vs Warm Lead vs Cold Lead - Difference?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 03:26 AM PDT

    Hi,
    I'm setting up a commission structure for my sales team. In this reference, I would like to learn on what basis are leads classified at Cold, Warm & Hot? What are the general industry metrics for this classification?
    Thanks

    submitted by /u/rsclmumbai
    [link] [comments]

    I need help preparing a business case for my team to be paid more/differently.

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 01:14 AM PDT

    I work on a team of very senior business development people building out a new channel of revenue for a Cloud provider. We are 12 months in so far and things are going great - but it's going to be another 6-12 months before we start producing significant revenue. Right now we are on a pool plan - so paid according to how our business unit does overall. We are on a base/variable rate of 60/40. The pure sales guys are on 50/50 which makes sense as they are 100% in control of their own business and earnings. We are getting screwed as our pool is not doing well so we are not making much commission despite ding great work and working our asses off.

    My boss asked me to write a business case for the team (him included) to get our split changed - I'm suggesting 80/20 as its what some of the support functions like marketing etc have as they have limited actual impact on the number.

    I'm looking for any credible articles or studies that show something along the lines of the fact that you should pay your employees well and not have too much wavering on performance etc.

    Can anyone help me out?

    submitted by /u/zascar
    [link] [comments]

    Professional Services / Consulting Sales

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 08:30 AM PDT

    Is anyone currently selling or has anyone sold professional consulting services in the corporate space? I'd love to get your take on the job...the good and the bad. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/jejla24
    [link] [comments]

    Reached out to Biz Dev Manager for a BDR job, set an appointment, and now I'll be calling her for interview

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 07:39 AM PDT

    Hello /sales Jedis,

    Oh, have the tables turned. So I was prospecting for a job at a company with an AE; he gave me a name, and I came up with a lead. She messaged back interested and I booked an interview this Friday at 9am.

    It feels great to be on the other side of the proverbial job search table, as I have the upper hand now. I've got no Biz Dev experience so I definitely feel like this (as my first prospecting and lead qualifying test) is going pretty well.

    I'll definitely look more into the company and will become fluent with their tech/product, but do you guys have any additional advice I could use to leverage this interview and drive this opportunity home? I can almost taste my new job!

    submitted by /u/pyRSL64
    [link] [comments]

    Smartphone CRM Offline Contact Storage/Calling

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 07:36 AM PDT

    Does anyone know of a Smartphone CRM that has calling functionality via offline contact storage?

    Built in texting would be awesome too.

    As an example:

    Judy calls and the app allows the incoming call to say "Judy" instead of her 111 area code.

    submitted by /u/TroubledSpatula
    [link] [comments]

    How do you stay motivated if a lot of things going on in your life?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 07:21 AM PDT

    This month was one of the most stressful months in my life and I simply lost all of my motivation. I've been dealing with lawyers, relationships, family issues and housing stuff. Every fuckin day something pops out and makes me stressful. I'm just e-mailing and not following up as I used to. I was the best one in the company not more than a month ago and now I'm just an average. I haven't checked my pipedrive since the beginning of this month. I always find myself procrastinating and doing personal stuff on my pc when I'm at work. Staying away from work is not an option since I feel worse if I stay at home or go to another place. How will I get over this burnout and focus on my job?

    submitted by /u/leightandme
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment