• Breaking News

    Wednesday, October 9, 2019

    I did $700 worth of damage to my car according to my car insurance adjuster. Car insurance papers state an incident of "At-Fault PD $3850+" is listed on my Motor Vehicle Record. What is going on here?? Insurance

    I did $700 worth of damage to my car according to my car insurance adjuster. Car insurance papers state an incident of "At-Fault PD $3850+" is listed on my Motor Vehicle Record. What is going on here?? Insurance


    I did $700 worth of damage to my car according to my car insurance adjuster. Car insurance papers state an incident of "At-Fault PD $3850+" is listed on my Motor Vehicle Record. What is going on here??

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 06:33 PM PDT

    First, my car sits low so I banged it up when I came across some rough pot holes. It got worse later on/things were dragging on the ground. The damage done was $700. Why the heck is $3850+ listed on my Motor Vehicle Record?

    Second, how is anything listed with the DMV when I made no accident report because they said there was no need for one.

    I can't talk to anyone until tomorrow, but this is really frustrating. Can someone tell me what is going on here please?

    submitted by /u/nontraditionalstuden
    [link] [comments]

    Need help! Is this fraud or not?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 03:35 PM PDT

    I hit a neighbor's mailbox. Initially I wanted to have the police come and record the incident because my neighbor seemed uncomfortable. The officer took a long time coming and during that time I made a resolution with my neighbor. I agreed to pay for everything and even handle finding someone to fix it for them. (Our neighborhood has an HOA so the mailbox has to be the same as what it was before) Since we resolved the issue and I had to get going, I called the officer and he said that is working it out on our own was alright. He told my neighbor to get my plate number, my name, phone number, and my insurance policy number. Well my neighbor filed a claim after I've forked out a ton of time and money for this (I called out of work so I could get the stupid thing worked on) I'm just wondering if it's fraud for her to file a claim after the mailbox has been paid for. I don't want them to proceed with this, and I think telling them that it is insurance fraud will scare them off. This has been way too stressful for just a stupid mailbox.

    submitted by /u/KarliahGrace
    [link] [comments]

    Does carpet damaged by water have to be replace with carpet, or can it be a different type of flooring?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 03:27 PM PDT

    Grandmas toilet flooded over and I'm trying to help her and my parents out. When the toilet flooded it went into the carpet of the hallway. The hallway carpet goes all the way into the living room and it's all going to be replaced.

    Since my grandma bought the carpet she has become wheelchair bound. We'd like to put some of that vinyl wood planks in the hallway so it is easier to push her around. It would also have the same flooring in the kitchen and dining room that would be paid out of our own pockets. The living room would be replaced with a similar carpet that is in there now.

    The floor salesman that is helping us seems to think that the carpet that is being replaced in the hallway and living room should stay carpeted because he's worried that insurance company would want it replaced with as similar material as it can be.

    So what can be done? Any help is appreciated.

    submitted by /u/Mjost84
    [link] [comments]

    Insuring a rebuilt/salvage car with an at-fault accident?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2019 12:11 AM PDT

    About a month and a half ago, I totaled my van. It was raining, the guy in front of me panic stopped, he had ABS and I didn't, so I slid into his bumper and pretzeled my radiator support. It was listed as at-fault because rear-ending always is. The damage wasn't that much, I've almost got it fixed since then for way less than they quoted (did my own work and already had a parts van lying around), and I finally got my title back.

    Problem is, I was on my dad's State Farm policy. They won't re-insure cars that THEY totaled, only ones totaled by other companies. I'm 20, so in the "red zone" for rates, although it is still under dad's name so I could probably work out a way to insure in his name under a different company. Nothing else on my driving record besides this accident, not even so much as a parking ticket. No legal action was taken, police report just states what happened.

    To be frank, I just want the absolute lowest rate I can get. If I get in an accident, it's worth nothing anyway so if I can't repair it on my own it's scrap. Unfortunately, I'm kind of running blind on finding insurance, because having a rebuilt title isn't something you can declare through any of the online quote calculators. They ask everything about ME, but nothing about the CAR besides make/model/year.

    Which companies would you recommend I try, since a lot won't even LET you insure a rebuild/salvage, and how would I go about getting a quote when I can't use an online calculator and I have an actual life and can't spend 3 days driving around town begging agents to insure me? I live in Lexington, KY, vehicle is a 2000 Honda Odyssey base model, I'm 20 years old, and male. Or should I just give up on this whole thing, and buy an engine lift so I can swap my drivetrain and all the good parts into my parts van, since it's still got a clean title but a bad drivetrain?

    submitted by /u/D0esANyoneREadTHese
    [link] [comments]

    Lapsed home insurance advice

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 10:08 PM PDT

    First time home owner with my wife (condo in building). During the summer, I lost my credit card and received a new one with new number. I completely forgot that I paid for our home insurance using the old card number and didn't think to update them. Recieved a letter saying I have an unpaid balance. So I called them, updated the card info and paid the balance. I thought I was in the clear since whenever I would check on their online access it would say that the policy is active. Little did I know that my policy was getting cancelled and I received a letter in the mail saying its now cancelled. Upset that I had to reapply because of a late payment, I started shopping around for another policy. I kept getting quotes 3x more expensive than the policy that got cancelled and was having a hard time chosing a new one.

    One evening, we decided it would be a good idea to move a closet shelf up by 6 inches to make better use of the closet space. I marked the holes in line with the original ones and reused the same hardware. When I went in to drill the last hole, disaster struck. The drill bit hit a hot water pipe and hot water started coming out. Turns out the plastic pipe was right on the drywall. Emergency plumber and cleanup showed up, problem was under control. This all happened at 1 or 2 am. Realizing I wasn't covered, I panicked and called the last insurance company that quoted me to get insurance around 1 pm the same day and they approved me and emailed me the policy confirming I'm insured as of that day.

    The condo below me took some damage. Engineered wood floors need replacing, and some drywall. We are over the condo syndicate deductible and the difference needs to be covered. How screwed am I? I realized I messed up big time by not getting a new policy asap..I am wondering if the co-owner syndicate insurance will cover the difference if they consider this as accidental and not anyone's fault. However, if they do see this as my fault, they will try to get my insurance to pay the difference...but my insurance policy started the same day..I'm guessing they will notice this and then check to find out what time it was created and find out it was after the incident.. I had no idea moving a shelf up six inches would cause such a disaster.. Nobody told me that I can't drill in those walls. What are my options? I have no furniture damage so I don't want to make a claim either but am also wondering if that would be even more suspicious.. Just looking for some advice, appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/grownyeti2
    [link] [comments]

    Smoke damage question

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 09:39 PM PDT

    Hi there

    My townhouse rental was recently stricken with smoke damage from a fire started by my attached neighbor.

    My question is: do I have the final say on what items are replaced?

    I'll be going through everything with a restoration representative tomorrow and if they deem something to be salvageable and I dont feel comfortable living with the item, am I able to trump her call and request the item be replaced?

    submitted by /u/blockchainhawk
    [link] [comments]

    (CA) Bay Area counties with the best Medi-Cal Health Plans?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 09:06 PM PDT

    I recently moved to Alameda County from Santa Clara, and one of my parents lives in SF. I'm a 20yo student, so I can use my Parent's address for the purposes of insurance. My family and I are low income, so I qualify for Medi-Cal. I currently am covered by Santa Clara, but my doctor says they provide some of the worst coverage in terms of what he can prescribe (it's mostly dermatology related medicine).

    It seems to me that I'm in a position where I can switch to either Alameda or SF Medi-cal, but I don't know if is worth it. Does anyone if they have better coverage? Thank for any advice or input.

    submitted by /u/L0nesomecowboy
    [link] [comments]

    Temporary Insurance Strat for One Month

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 08:55 PM PDT

    I am still at the age where I can take insurance under my family (parents) and am in college rn, so Im off the vehicular insurance on my car. I will be back home for a month over winter and really wanted to be able to drive. I was wondering if the strategy I am about to propose is allowed: take a semi annual insurance and pay monthly and cancel after the first month for some random excuse. I feel like this is not allowed and may cause fees early cancel fees and do not want to propose this to a insurance agent either. Also, if you have better options I am down for those too. I was considering metromile but I don't know if they are good or sus because I know of nobody who has used them before? Thanks in advance :)

    submitted by /u/BeenThruWorse
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to compare multiple vehicles under the same insurance company?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 08:45 PM PDT

    I'm in the market for a new vehicle. Is there a way to compare different makes and models side by side to get a realistic quote? Possibly even other insurance companies?

    My insurance is too high now, probably because I'm 20. I want a newer car, but I know I'll get shafted ether way. It would be nice to know which insurance would be the least costly.

    submitted by /u/Vyke-industries
    [link] [comments]

    Visa Infinite Avion - Travel Coverage?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 07:04 PM PDT

    I'm a home based employee in Ontario Canada, and I would like to work from the beach in South America for December.

    My plan was to just go and not tell anyone, so my insurance through work won't cover me (I dont think)

    Will my credit card coverage protect me should something bad happen?

    submitted by /u/Lololopopdj
    [link] [comments]

    Prescription coverage question

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 06:57 PM PDT

    So I have a employer sponsored health insurance with Aetna and along with the package prescriptions are fulfilled by express-scripts.

    Am I allowed to use another vendor to fulfill my prescriptions such as edgepark?

    Edit: if location matters I'm in NYC

    submitted by /u/luzkidd
    [link] [comments]

    Homeowners Insurance cancellation (US-CA)

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 06:20 PM PDT

    Homeowners Insurance cancellation (US-CA)

    I recently changed Insurance companies, thinking it might be good to bundle my auto along with my Homeowners insurance. I did this in August of this year and just last week I received a notice of cancellation citing: "Underwriting Action: The risk is not eligible for the program as an adverse condition or hazard has been identified. The dwelling roof has granular loss, lifting and/or buckling, patched, and is in need of full replacement".

    I was quite shocked as my roof is in good repair. I called the insurance company and asked for a copy of the inspection report (which was emailed to me). Upon review, I see the following comments in the report:

    Exterior Roof Hazard Granule Loss: Roof shingles show signs of granule loss on the front side of the risk. Patched / Repairs Evident: Roof shingles patched on the front side of the risk.

    There is no mention of the roof having "granular loss" only that there has been granule loss on just the front side. The report only has two pictures of a very small portion of my roof and the inspector didn't even look at the entire roof.

    My question, do insurance companies have the right to cancel polices citing verbiage that they misinterpreted? I was on the phone with them trying to explain my point and they refused to budge. It seems like an unfair practice that could now posts to ally leave me uninsured due to someone at the insurance company to being able to understand the difference between "granule loss" and "granular loss". I now only have 30 days to find a new insurance company and if it is canceled before than, it might be challenging to do so when not in the voluntary market. I was also told that they do not have an appeal process and the agent refused to transfer me to a manger or higher authority. I realize this might be a blessing in disguise but feel I should press this based on principal.

    submitted by /u/cyber_dna
    [link] [comments]

    Got into a minor parking lot accident

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 12:12 PM PDT

    This happened earlier today. I was backing out of my spot, and another car was behind me waiting to park in a different spot. I ended up hitting his right fender. He was immediately pissed after I asked if he was all right. I also asked if he had just pulled up behind me, and he said he'd been their for a "cool minute" as if I simply didn't see him. I find that strange, because I didn't see him behind my car before I got in my car. I would have noticed someone blocking me.

    Anyway, my car received virtually no damage. His car had a noticeable dent on it, which I initially suspected was already there, but he claims it wasn't. He was also very quick to explain that he got his entire car painted recently.

    We exchanged phone numbers, but I didn't have my insurance on me (it's my mother's insurance). I also tried to quickly glance around the parking lot for cameras, but I didn't notice anyway. I want to double check later if the parking lot has any cameras, but I'm not sure it does, and I want to know what I should do in case there are no cameras.

    This happened in Los Angeles county btw.

    submitted by /u/MKing150
    [link] [comments]

    Quantifying my claim??

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 05:48 PM PDT

    If by the the third grade if a kid hasn't learnt socia cues the chances of them developing them in the future are pretty rare

    I got into a car accident on Sunday night. It was the other driver's fault because he wasn't yielding when he turned left and I hit him as I was going straight on a road. There was no direct impact on me or my passengers. However, I have soreness all over my back, my left side (which hit the inside of my door from impact) and pain from my left hip is in my left ankle now and it hurts to walk. I'm so nauseous, have no appetite, and the back of my head feels like there's cotton balls and it's so uncomfortable. I'm currently writing this feeling so so nauseous and I feel so anxious and I don't know what to do lol It's midterm week, I didn't take my first test because I just couldn't sit down and study bc of how tired I was and I have another one on Thursday. Can't work my delivery job bc I have a rental car and I can't be driving that around everywhere and I'm so nervous to drive I gave up all my shifts at my job in a dorm building because I am so anxious when I'm on the road. Hearing a honk makes my heart race bc I'm waiting for impact or something. The agent from the other drivers insurance said he'd provide a total of 990 dollars (800 for inconvenience + 190 for wages I'd lose for 3 days). Idk how to quantify my claim so any advice would be helpful!

    submitted by /u/theyoungriddler
    [link] [comments]

    Pain and Suffering Question

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 01:40 PM PDT

    Sorry this has probably been covered a lot, but not sure if I'm getting screwed over or not on this liability claim.

    Got hit on my bicycle by a vehicle in June in North Carolina. Police report says driver failed to yield so they are liable. Couldn't move my shoulder or arm at all, road rash on legs and severe pain. Went to ER, did some tests, no broken bones or dislocations, etc. that night I heard a loud pop in my shoulder and it felt a lot better (which I would think meant it got dislocated). Went to orthopedic doctor 36 hrs later and they suspected severe bursitis and possible minor torn ligament, but didn't know without doing MRI. Doctor said he wanted to just do PT without all the imaging because he was afraid the liability insurance wouldn't pay for it if I didn't need it and PT would be recommended regardless of what he found on the MRI.

    Went to PT four times in a month and was finally cleared to return to work (was out of work for a month and a half). Orthopedic doctor said that he thought I was healing fairly well and there was no circumstance following my PT treatment in which he would recommend surgery. Still have a little bit of a mobility issue but not much. Weak muscles in my shoulder and back but hoping to get stronger. Thinking I can fix all of this with some yoga and strength training.

    The vehicle driver's car insurance company paid for my bicycle which was destroyed and gave me a fair amount. Now after several months of BS, they have given me an offer for the personal injury. They are going to pay all of my missed wages, my medical bills in full, and a $3000 pain and suffering amount. Medical bills were about $7000, missed wages about $5400 (before tax and including the overtime I would have made during that time.)

    Does this pain and suffering amount seem reasonable given the circumstance or am I getting screwed? I talked to a lawyer early in the process and he said to try and handle it on my own unless it got too difficult (which I was almost at that point). Now I'm afraid to talk to a lawyer with these numbers because I don't want them to say they can get me more, but it ends up getting dragged out longer and the lawyer end up getting me the same amount (or potentially less money). Also I'm dealing with some of these bills going to collections soon so really want to get them paid off.

    Basically I have no idea if this shoulder injury will cause other issues later in life, neither does the doctor, so I don't see any way to get the insurance company to compensate me for 'potential' future injuries.

    Thanks for any help.

    submitted by /u/FrappyJohns
    [link] [comments]

    Vehicle got damaged by a flying rock [CA]

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 04:49 PM PDT

    My 2016 Subaru Outback got hit by a rock on the freeway. I am insured by StateFarm living in California, and I have $0 deductible for comprehensive. Would this count as an at-fault accident if I file a claim? I called my agent, and she said it's based on who's fault it is. She also said it could effective my rates for next 6 years if I'm founded to be at-fault. Obviously, that isn't true. Are there any StateFarm claim adjuster on here that would be willing to answer if this accident would be applied onto my insurance record?

    submitted by /u/blueweb00
    [link] [comments]

    Car insurance company is trying to charge us more because of a problem that they admitted was their fault. What actions can we take?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 03:42 PM PDT

    I'll try to keep this as simple as I possibly can. I apologize if I use the wrong terminology, I'm not the best with all this insurance mumbo-jumbo: My husband and I have been going through a local car insurance agent for over a year now. We had auto pay set up so the bill left our account automatically every month. We assumed everything was fine until about a week ago, when we recieved a collections report in the mail saying we owed money to the insurance company. We were confused so we called our agent who said he would take care of it and call us back in a few days. A week goes by and we hear nothing, so we called again and got the same assurance that he would take care of it and call us back. Another week goes by with nothing. We called corporate today and found out that, back in April or May, something went wrong with our automatic payment and it couldn't be completed. We were not informed of this and we were not given the opportunity to pay. Because of this, we have been driving around without insurance for 5 months. When we called corporate, the person we spoke to said that this was not our fault and that our agent or someone from the company should have notified us. However, despite the fact that this is not our fault, they are trying to charge us almost $700 more for car insurance because we have been uninsured for the past 5 months. We cannot get a cheaper rate through any other provider because of this. Is there any actions we can take to have this taken care of without paying out the wazoo for coverage? Especially when corporate admitted that this was no fault of our own?

    submitted by /u/MissBeesMama
    [link] [comments]

    Should i file a police report? (NM)

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 03:13 PM PDT

    I was involved (today) in a fender bender. The guy backed into my vehicle as i was driving down the road. I called the police and an officer came out. The damage is minor (bumper damaged, fender crunched, headlight clips broken) from what i can see. The guy gave let me take a picture of his license # and sent me his policy info. I didnt file a police report as they guy told me and the officer that he was at fault and wasnt planning on refuting.

    I called his insurance and filed a claim. They said as long as he verifies everything i told them we will move forward.

    My concern is that he won't, and im wondering if i should call the police and file a report? Or if its too late at this point...

    submitted by /u/Sa-bear88
    [link] [comments]

    Totaled Car Question / 'Contributing'

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 02:58 PM PDT

    About a month ago, my wife rear ended a newer 2018 Civic, luckily no one was hurt. Based on the damages, the car is all but totaled. I've been working with our insurance and just have a few questions that I'm unsure of and our agent isn't being very clear on.

    Our coverage for other vehicles is only $25k (I have since increased this coverage); our agent has informed us that they working with the other driver's insurance to figure out the total number and if the damage is higher than that, we can 'contribute'. Given she made it sound optional, what are the ramifications of us not 'contributing'? Are we blacklisted from major insurance companies? Our field agent also indicated that its very unlikely for insurance companies to go after individuals so this also left us confused. I don't want to have any liens or garnishments if one insurance company goes after my wife or myself.

    Also, its been almost a full month which is considerably longer than I'm used to with claims in the past; is this normal? Just having this looming over our head has caused anxiety and want to get it over with one way or the other.

    A brand new loaded Civic doesn't appear to be much more than that so hopefully it stays under the $25k. Appreciate anyone's input and thank you so much in advance!

    submitted by /u/knotfan123
    [link] [comments]

    Insurance ticket?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 02:37 PM PDT

    Hey so my sister got into an accident in a parking lot ( the guy admitted it was his fault) but the car that is under my name didn't have insurance at the time so she got a ticket and has to go to court tomorrow. I put insurance on the car but under my name. Do I have to put her on my policy or is it just fine under my name if they ask for it in court?

    submitted by /u/Symthwav33
    [link] [comments]

    What else can I say when appealing my car insurance decision?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 02:04 PM PDT

    Recently I was in a car accident when another driver veered from the left lane (straight lane) into my lane (the right lane for turning right). I honked and stopped the car but she still hit my car and drove away across the intersection where I chased after her. The accident happened on a curved road leading up to an intersection. She lied saying the accident happened in the intersection and that I rammed her. She requested the bodycam footage (not sure why because it just has us saying our story and not the accident scene) from the police officer which had me saying that my intention was to go straight. My insurance adjuster used that as the only reasoning to find me guilty without considering anything else. She kept saying that the other driver had the right of way and I kept telling her I was in my lane and that I was going straight to turn right because you have to go straight for about 20 ft after the traffic line. I'm not sure what to do because of that one thing I said on camera.

    submitted by /u/prepster92
    [link] [comments]

    Diminished Value

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 09:12 AM PDT

    Hi, I live in Missouri and my vehicle was in an accident 2 years ago that was not my fault. Other parties insurance (Geico) handled the claim and repaired my car. Fast forward to now, I go to try and trade in my car and KBB says it's worth about $5,500 trade in value but dealerships are only giving about $2,000, because due to the wreck, my car was marked as structural damage. I was never informed that my vehicle would marked as such and I am suffering a huge loss on this because of the accident. Do I have a claim against Geico for the difference in price? What can I do to make help my case?

    submitted by /u/JunksAFlopin
    [link] [comments]

    Renters insurance includes liability, possessions and many other types of insurance. How much would liability cost alone?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 11:33 AM PDT

    I was once told the cost of liability only is so low they don't sell it by itself as it wasn't worth it. I'm curious approximately how much liability by itself would cost? I realize it depends on many factors but in curious about typical cases, maybe on average.

    Bc, Canada

    submitted by /u/acover
    [link] [comments]

    Question about post accident process - liability only - California

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 11:23 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    Posting on behalf of another, he was recently involved in an accident in which fault hasn't been determined yet. The other party was driving in a bus/bike only lane and tboned his driver's side front fender while he was trying to cross a busier intersection.

    He currently has liability only insurance, and the car is not drivable- he has given a statement to his own insurance (Nationwide), who has gotten in contact with the other party's insurance, but not gotten a statement from their driver yet (was told he is using an attorney and claiming he has injuries). Nationwide is saying to file claim with the other driver's insurance.

    I was taught never to talk to the other party's insurance, and to have my own insurance handle everything (but I have comprehensive and collision, which he'll be adding after this is resolved).

    • Has that changed?
    • Is it different with liability only coverage?
    • Should he be filing claim with the other party's insurance?
    • Should any of this happen before liability is determined (ie the other party's insurance gives a statement and his statement/their statements are compared and evaluated)?

    They reached out previously about taking a recorded statement, but were instructed to talk to Nationwide instead.

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/buslaneaccident
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment