• Breaking News

    Monday, October 28, 2019

    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here. Investing

    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here. Investing


    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here.

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 05:11 AM PDT

    If your question is "I have $10,000, what do I do?" or other "advice for my personal situation" questions. If you are going to ask how to invest you should include relevant information, such as the following:

    • How old are you?
    • Are you employed/making income? How much?
    • What are your objectives with this money? (buy a house? Retirement savings?)
    • What is your risk tolerance? (Do you mind risking it at blackjack or do you need to know its 100% safe?)
    • What are you current holdings? (Do you already have exposure to specific funds and sectors?)
    • Any other assets? House paid off? Cars? Expensive significant other?
    • What is your time horizon? Do you need this money next month? Next 20yrs?
    • Any big debts?
    • Any other relevant financial information will be useful to give you a proper answer.

    Please consider consulting our FAQ first - https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/wiki/faq

    Be aware that these answers are just opinions of Redditors and should be used as a starting point for your research. You should strongly consider seeing a registered financial rep before making any financial decisions!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Eastern Kentucky bank fails, state officials take possession - are there more to come?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 05:27 PM PDT

    Virgin Galactic to Merge with Investment Company, go Public

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 05:03 PM PDT

    https://spacenews.com/virgin-galactic-to-merge-with-investment-company-go-public/

    I follow private space launch companies fairly closely since I think this industry has enormous growth potential in the near future. However, the news of Virgin Galactic trading publicly-ish does not have me the least bit excited.

    You hardly ever hear mention of Virgin Galactic in the space community since there is little noteworthy to say about their designs or ambitions. I find it far more impressive how they've been able to avoid bankruptcy for so many years while accomplishing so little, yet they are frequently regarded as one of the "big three" by the media, alongside BlueOrigin and SpaceX.

    Virgin Galactic boasts 600 reservations for 100km suborbital flights at $250k a seat, yet the 2014 crash and years of delays raises questions about safety. While BlueOrigin hasn't announced a solid ticket price for it's New Shepard vehicle, it's plausible that it would be able to substantially undercut this price, not to mention the vehicle is likely to be far more safe for the passengers. This is to say nothing of SpaceX, which is likely only a few years away from offering full orbital flights to private citizens, which are likely to be far more attractive to wealthy customers than 10 minute suborbital ones.

    Virgin Galactic is also about to launch its first orbital vehicle before the end of the year, LauncherOne, yet with the closing of Northrop Grumman's Stratolaunch earlier this year, the business case for airborne disposable small sat launchers is dubious. VirginGalactic also has claimed to be interested in the burgeoning satellite internet market, yet they have no means of doing this economically using their own systems. LauncherOne is designed to deliver approximately 300kg to orbit at a cost of 10mil, but by comparison, Rocket Lab's electron can do this for approximately 6mil. Worse, the SpaceX Falcon 9 can deliver 22,000kg for approximately 65mil, and was recently used to deliver 60 Starlink satellites in one launch (with two more planned before the end of the year).

    And I could go on...

    Tl;dr: I don't see a business case for Virgin Galactic and don't understand why they are receiving the amount of investment that they are. Space is a brutal industry and investors are being way too kind to them.

    submitted by /u/YoYossarian
    [link] [comments]

    Beyond Meat is expected to report its first profit as a public company after the close today but there will probably still be a big sell off tomorrow as the lockup period ends and insiders (who account for 80% of outstanding stock) are finally allowed to sell their stock and realize large profits

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 03:03 AM PDT

    The stock price has fallen back significantly from recent highs but at $100.81 it is still valued at 4x the May IPO price. That's a lofty 36x trailing revenues and many insiders may consider it wise to lock in at least some of that profit now and diversify their risk.

    This is not a recommendation to buy or sell. Stocks are risky and not suitable for everybody. Please do your own research.

    submitted by /u/InterestingNews1
    [link] [comments]

    If you wanted to support private space flight which stock would you buy? GOOG or AMZN? Or something else?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 09:38 PM PDT

    Since we can't invest directly in SpaceX or Blue Origin, I researched that GOOG owns 8% of SpaceX and AMZN indirectly funds Blue Origin.

    submitted by /u/safetaco
    [link] [comments]

    Louis Vuitton offers 22% premium to buy Tiffany’s

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 10:07 AM PDT

    Analyst Who Called The Repo Squeeze Warns On ‘Combustible Cocktail’ Into Year-End, "There could be a broader de-leveraging across financial markets".

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 06:32 PM PDT

    One of America's largest trucking companies is quietly closing a Pennsylvania warehouse and will lay off dozens

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 09:47 AM PDT

    Swift Logistics, a brokerage and asset-based logistics provider, announced layoffs this week

    It said in a letter to Pennsylvania's Department of Labor and Industry on Wednesday that it would close its warehouse in York, effective December 31, and that all 56 employees there would be laid off permanently.

    Swift Logistics is an entity within Knight-Swift, the fourth-largest trucking company in the US by revenue. The company did not immediately respond to inquiries from Business Insider.

    Knight-Swift announced third-quarter earnings on Wednesday, disclosing that adjusted operating income had plunged by 27.4% from 2018.

    A downturn is hitting the trucking industry — and now even large employers are getting slammed

    Trucking has faced significant headwinds this year. It has been in a recession since the first half of 2019, according to ACT Research.

    Read more: Another 4,200 truck drivers lost their jobs in September as a recession slams America's $800 billion trucking industry

    In the first six months of 2019, about 640 trucking companies closed, according to industry data from Broughton Capital cited by The Wall Street Journal. That was more than triple the number from the same period last year, 175.

    America slashed 9,300 trucking payrolls in September and August alone.

    The recession in trucking has especially affected small carriers, who operate largely on the spot market.

    Trucking loads can be picked up on demand through the spot market or through a prearranged contract. The contract market makes up most of the trucking market, according to the American Trucking Associations.

    Spot-market rates have crashed in 2019, while contract market rates haven't seen the same dip.

    But these layoffs from Swift Logistics suggest again that the trucking industry's contraction is affecting large companies too.

    Roadrunner, the 31st-largest trucker in the US, announced last month that it was cutting 10% of its total workforce, all in its "unprofitable" dry-van sector.

    Cold Carriers, a refrigerated trucking company with about 400 truck drivers, filed for bankruptcy protection late last month; it said it would continue operations as it restructures its debt obligations.

    Meanwhile, industry leaders like J.B. Hunt and Schneider have slashed their annual outlooks this year.

    https://www.businessinsider.com/trucking-company-swift-logistics-trucker-layoffs-closing-york-pennsylvania-warehouse-2019-10

    submitted by /u/thinkB4WeSpeak
    [link] [comments]

    Earnings this week: AAPL, MA, FB, SHOP, GE

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 10:29 PM PDT

    MA, AMD, SHOP - 10/29/19

    AAPL, GE, FB - 10/30/19

    Long: MA,

    Short: GE, FB

    Not sure what to expect for AMD and AAPL.. It seems a lot of expectations are already baked in the price.

    What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/gymaliz
    [link] [comments]

    Day trading addiction

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 12:02 AM PDT

    I think I'm getting addicted to day trading. Most of my recent trades are intraday trades and I do a coupe of trades almost every day. And the profits are getting lower. From the latest trade, I traded 500 shares to make only $15. Its ridiculous and crazy.

    I'm trying to put a hold on trading but it's not so easy. How can I recover from my day trading addiction? Is there any organization that I can join?

    submitted by /u/emergencyaccount4u
    [link] [comments]

    Virgin Galactic: Branson's space firm set for stock market launch

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 12:56 AM PDT

    Europe’s largest lender HSBC says pre-tax profits dropped 18% year over year

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 03:04 AM PDT

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/28/hsbc-reports-2019-third-quarter-earnings.html

    The bank said its reported profit before tax plunged 18% on-year to $4.8 billion in the three months that ended in September. On an adjusted basis, HSBC said its pre-tax profit fell 12% to $5.3 billion. Analysts predicted HSBC's pre-tax profit to drop 11% to $5.3 billion for the quarter, Reuters reported.

    submitted by /u/MrCrickets
    [link] [comments]

    What websites you can recommend me to find investors?

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 03:02 AM PDT

    Hey guys,
    Is there any website where I could post my ideas and add category or tags and allow investors to contact me?

    I have full investors kit already done.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/krajacic
    [link] [comments]

    Degiro app currently showing UK 100 as down -99.94%

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 02:38 AM PDT

    Choosing between iShares and Xtrackers

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 02:32 AM PDT

    Hi guys!

    I'm looking into an EUR hedged S&P500 physical ETFs, and I'm down to those two:

    iShares - https://www.justetf.com/uk/etf-profile.html?isin=IE00B3ZW0K18 Xtrackers - https://www.justetf.com/uk/etf-profile.html?isin=IE00BM67HW99

    They are pretty much the same, with the exception that iShares' uses optimized sampling as replication method.

    Wich one should I choose? Should I be worried, for example, that Xtrackers is a Deutsche Bank company, and they are pretty much bust? Anything else I should check before choosing one of them?

    All opinions will be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/investingrookie234
    [link] [comments]

    anyone have experience using FUTU trading app? have some qstns..

    Posted: 28 Oct 2019 01:01 AM PDT

    here im at the seed farm https://i.imgur.com/hYbN0F5.png
    it says that i will forever not need to pay commissions?

    https://i.imgur.com/mJXNYBM.png
    then over here it says something to the effect that there is a time limit for the 0 commissions
    https://i.imgur.com/ufVoV6D.png
    would i be able to know if im paying for commissions through this window? if not, where to i go to see whether i have any 0 commission seed active?

    also, are seeds rare to obtain?

    submitted by /u/ch3rri_
    [link] [comments]

    Softbank backed start up Oyo suffers major shortfall

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 04:43 AM PDT

    SoftBank backed Oyo which seeks to become the largest hotel chain in the world and is valued at >10B$.(of course it does). It is an Indian start up, now expanding into Japan. A lackluster response in Japan has led Oyo to revoke some of its contracts and asking some sales empoyees to take 40% pay cut.

    Though this news is not as drasatic, what is very important is that this is domino effect from WeWork debacle. Earlier this week another Softbank start up "Fair" cut 40% of its staff. Who knows where it will lead.

    What is your take on this.

    https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Startups/SoftBank-backed-Oyo-suffers-major-shortfall-in-ambitious-Japan-push

    PS : SoftBank is traded in OTC market as $SFTBY and of course on Tokyo exchange.

    submitted by /u/rjsh927
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone using Atom Finance

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 08:01 PM PDT

    I stumbled onto them today via Facebook post and so far I'm really liking what I'm seeing.

    https://atom.finance/

    No referrals or anything like that. I'm just curious what other people's thoughts are on them.

    submitted by /u/bsutansalt
    [link] [comments]

    Career and investment plan in Australia

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 11:31 PM PDT

    Hi, I am an international student who is about to graduate from an accounting master's program and I have already received an offer from big4 accounting firms as an auditor. Now I am just wondering how should I develop my career and investment plan and would really appreciate it if someone can give me some advice based on my situation.

    I am from a Chinese background and as Chinese, parents will pass all their assets to the next generation and the family will never split financially. Now I am 24 and I can make suggestions to my parents in terms of how to make investments and I will be totally in charge of the family assets in 10-15 years. Right now I personally own $ 2.5 million worth of assets in China with no debt (mainly properties).

    I think big4 accounting firm is a good start of my career, but I think I am more interested in real estate and stock market investment. Because I think in the future, my salary will only be a small portion of the family income. So, I think in the long term I would like to work in an investment business because it is very beneficial to enhance my understanding of investment which will bring more benefits to me and my family. My family and I are actually very thrift, we will only spend a lot of money on investment. We pay a lot of attention to how we spend money.

    So, can someone help me develop some career goals and path? For example, when should I get into the investment industry and what kind of companies I should work in later in my career, what is the requirement and so on; Or give me some suggestions about how I can make the best of my situation and background?

    Thank you very much.

    submitted by /u/helloworldggg
    [link] [comments]

    What do I do now with Altaba stock?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 03:17 PM PDT

    I thought I read that there may be 2 more distributions but can't seem to find it now.

    submitted by /u/darin617
    [link] [comments]

    Motley Fool subscribers: Is it worth it?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 03:12 PM PDT

    Having semi-retired I'm becoming a more active investor again. Nothing crazy, just staying on top of my (income oriented) portfolio more and doing a bit of shorter term investing. I enjoy researching and it's fairly common to find links to Motley Fool articles that are restricted to subscribers.

    So... for those of you who pay for access, has it been worth it to you? And why or why not?

    submitted by /u/ExPostRedemptore
    [link] [comments]

    Should I have more than one investment advisor? Or can diversification be acheived within one portfolio?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 06:48 PM PDT

    35, male. Self employed, independent contractor . Clear anywhere between 65-120K a year depending on how busy I am. Own my house (this was inherited), worth about 775K (could maybe get 1M on the current market) - paid for in full. Not going anywhere for five-ten years.

    I have made some good property investments, an inheritance, and some good returns on some consistent picks over the last 10 years (Disney, Google, CNR). I currently have about 1.8M being managed by one manager. I'm maxed out on my RRSP, my TSFA, and my RESP. It's a diverse portfolio, and I trust my guy implicitly. He's in his forties and will be around for a while as far as I can tell.

    BUT: if you were in my situation, would you split it 50/50 or (more in line of what Im' thinking) 75/25 and maybe find someone a little younger, gutsier, someone who thinks outside the box and take a bit of a gamble - or maybe someone similar but with different areas of focus? I'd love some feedback.

    submitted by /u/wangjangle3000
    [link] [comments]

    When is it time to sell?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 12:14 PM PDT

    Hey everyone. I'm a buy and hold investor, currently I'm focusing on Dividend (divs) paying stocks. In the future I want my divs to pay for my liabilities every month.

    Anyway, in regard to my question I'm currently up 147% with AMD and 57% with SQ. I'm trying to figure out what is that "sweet" spot to sell when I'm up and buy new businesses? I'm doing my research right now but I want to hear what reddit has to say. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/robgymrat87
    [link] [comments]

    T-Bills in Dubai?

    Posted: 27 Oct 2019 10:11 AM PDT

    My father has given me some money in Dubai (United Arab Emirates) and was wondering if I could somehow invest the money in Dubai without having the need to transfer it to the US. Since I'd prob need the money in a year I was thinking purchasing short term T-Bills. Has anyone had any similar experiences or suggestions on how I could do this?

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/HiiAndByee
    [link] [comments]

    1 comment:

    1. This blog is really helpful to deliver updated educational affairs over the internet which is really appraisable. I found one successful example of this truth through this blog. I am going to use such information now. Corporate Finance in Dubai

      ReplyDelete