• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 31, 2019

    Can my wife or family member purchase a life insurance plan that covers my death, without my knowledge? Insurance

    Can my wife or family member purchase a life insurance plan that covers my death, without my knowledge? Insurance


    Can my wife or family member purchase a life insurance plan that covers my death, without my knowledge?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 03:41 AM PDT

    Location: USA

    State: Yes

    submitted by /u/PM_ME_UR_JETPACK
    [link] [comments]

    HELP!! Forgot to report income change to medi-cal !!!

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 02:28 AM PDT

    PLEASEEE HELP!

    I just realized I might be committing medical fraud. And I'm seriously freaking out. I've always had medi-cal for 4 years cause my parents help me apply and it stuck ever since even without me reapplying every year. Through when I was doing part time while going to school and I was making less than 500- 1k/month. I recently got hired full time after college for like 10 months now and I completely didn't know I had to report my new income!! I assumed medi-cal would drop me especially since I applied for new medical insurance under my job!! My cousin said once they detected her new insurance, they dropped her!! So since the didn't drop me, I STUPIDLY thought I was still qualified..... to top it off, I had two hospital ER visits couple months ago!! and now that it's open enrollment again and I'm reading more into insurance do I realize I might be committing an medical fraud by not reporting. I'm seriously horrified and I'm freaking out because I of jail time and it's an honest mistake!! Please help !

    submitted by /u/Avery415
    [link] [comments]

    Penalty for adding Medicare part B as supplement to federal employer retiree HMO plan?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 03:51 PM PDT

    I currently am on a great HMO plan for retirees of federal government jobs (USPS employees). My primary residence is in Michigan but I will spending about 4 months in Seattle next year to take care of a new grandchild. I need monthly bloodwork done because I am a liver transplant recipient. My HMO will not cover care out of state, so I was thinking of adding Medicare part B to cover the lab work done in Seattle. Will I qualify for the special enrollment period because I've been covered by employer's "group plan coverage"? This line on the medicare.gov website confuses me: "retiree health plans aren't considered coverage based on current employment. You're not eligible for a Special Enrollment Period when that coverage ends." However, my coverage isn't ending, I just want to enroll in additional out-of-state coverage with part B while keeping my current plan. Who do I call to ask this? I tried the social security phone number but the wait time was 1-hour. Also, why would current employee group plan not incur a penalty but coverage by a retiree plan incur a penalty?

    submitted by /u/asianspice
    [link] [comments]

    Insurance company says roof needs replaced, roofer says no. Insurance company is dropping me.

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 07:29 AM PDT

    32m never filed a claim. Have a 1700 sq/ft ranch in Ohio.

    I switched from nationwide to progressive and they got me a policy thro natgen. Some guy came out to my house and apparently told me my roof was bad (put on in 2010ish, before I owned the house) and they sent me a letter saying my insurance is canceled in 30 days.

    I had a roofer come out while looking for a new company and he said outside of removing old satellite dishes my roof is completely fine and he doesn't expect it to leak.

    What are my options? Is this common? Why would natgen contact me first about it first before canceling my coverage?

    submitted by /u/gerbil_jammer
    [link] [comments]

    Parking lot accident

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 05:24 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I was recently involved in an accident in my apartment parking lot in Minnesota. I was driving straight in one of the aisles when another driver pulled out forward from a spot the were backed into t-boning my car causing fairly significant damage. This occurred just about at dawn. The other driver admitted it was their fault to my insurance adjuster the day the accident happened.

    Fast forward to today and we finally heard back from the other drivers insurance company and they stated that their driver wasn't at fault and said she didn't think my headlights were on. I'm flabbergasted they came back and said they had no liability here as the other driver rammed the side of my car pulling out of a parking space. My headlights were 100% on(they turn on automatically) and I should have 0 liability here. It seems like they haven't seen any pictures of the accident so my adjuster sent them today telling them to reevaluate.

    My question is is it normal to try not to take liability to feel it out? I don't see how I can be held liable for someone else hitting me out of nowhere.

    Thanks for any input!

    submitted by /u/LethalStorm92
    [link] [comments]

    Car accident in Maryland, live in Washington DC

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 01:56 PM PDT

    My questions are, will the insurance company of the at-fault driver try to drag out making a settlement offer to run out the clock on subrogation from health insurance company or my car insurance company, or limit my time table to sue?

    Can anyone explain triple dipping to me? If a medical expense is paid by my PIP, does the at-fault insurance company still have to pay me for the cost of that medical expense?

    If my health insurance company pays expenses connected to a car accident and the at-fault driver also reimburses me for those expenses, can health insurance company ask me for that money?

    I have read that as the insured person, I am supposed to be able to choose what insurance company gets billed. What do I do if the hospital didn't ask me and sent bills to be reimbursed by my PIP that I wanted health insurance to cover?

    Background: Husband and I were in a car accident in Oct. 2018. I was 37 weeks pregnant. We both went to the hospital, Baby and I were admitted, monitored and released same day. When baby was ultimately born, I had to be emergency transferred to a different hospital from the birth center because the baby went into distress. After the birth, the doctor found a partial placental abruption and said it was caused by the motor vehicle accident 3 weeks prior. This is in the medical notes. I have told the at-fault insurance company that the hospital portion of the birth is part of my claim because it was caused by the placental abruption.

    The at-fault insurance company has had all records since August.

    submitted by /u/MajesticTough
    [link] [comments]

    US-TX Selling Car- Whose insurance is in force for test drives? Should I verify proof of Ins?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 06:50 PM PDT

    I am selling a personal vehicle in TX, and I am asking a very low price due to age and condition. I am sure this price will attract folks that are in tough times, and do not have a lot of savings or income to pay for items beyond food and housing. My worry is, how does insurance work with test drives? I know I will want to see a valid driver's license, but what form of insurance should I check for?

    I own a home and other assets, and I don't want a worst case scenario to bite me if I can know how to prevent possible repercussions.

    submitted by /u/dc_IV
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any pet insuraces that cover pre-existing conditions?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 08:53 PM PDT

    Do I/How do I file a claim against State Farm for an accident they accepted 100% Liability for?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 02:52 PM PDT

    Back story, was involved in an accident driving an RV to Nevada. I was driving it for a friend after he bought it in Kansas City Missouri, Accident happened on Oct 24th.

    Man in breakdown lane on I93 decides to do an illegal U-Turn infront of me, I smash into his U-Haul Trailer, go through it, and end up in the ditch/fence.

    I got out, felt ok at the time, had a few small pieces of glass in my skin that I flicked out but other then that said I was so much, declined medical attention filled out info to police and went home, the next do I noticed a large bruise on my left temple, took a photo of it at the time, I noticed that my word recall was sluggish, slight demissedment in mental quickness, and now a sense of fatigue and a headache that comes and goes as well as a dull pain in the small of my back.

    I did not think I had a concussion at the time of the crash, I wrongfully assumed that you HAD to lose consciousness in one.

    So the man who caused the accident had State Farm as his insurance company and my friend said they accept 100% Liability.

    I figured I have these injuries that I didnt have at the time of the accident, I really want this entire shitstorm to end, I have ZERO Idea what to do, this is my first accident.

    I welcome your help.

    submitted by /u/AmericanSpartan76
    [link] [comments]

    Full Time Student Applying for Health Care, Meets all Requirements but Parents Health Care Conflicts? Help!

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 08:46 PM PDT

    Hey guys I have been doing some research on this subject in order to help my girlfriend who has been dealing with some health issues.

    Little background info on the situation:

    Location: Western, Wisconsin

    Age: 23

    She is currently on her parents health care plan but unfortunately they live 3 hours away and the only Hospitals/Clinics that their plan covers are no where near her. As a full time student she has her plate completely full. She does not have much time for herself let alone to drive 3 hours one way frequently while keeping up on her schoolwork. Their healthcare is provided through her dads work and they are unable to change to a different company and still be able to afford it. On top of this issue she has made this trip multiple times to deal with a couple clinics that seem to not care or brush off her health issues. So driving 6 hours to not get the help she needs is very illogical.

    She decided to look into Badger Care. To my understanding, as a full time student she meets all of the requirements except she was denied because she has the option to be on her parents plan.

    My question is, is there any way around this issue (possibly claim she is independent before turning 26?) in order for her to receive health coverage that is local to her?

    She also lives close to the border of Minnesota, I live in the Twin Cities MN, and we have fantastic Hospitals and Clinics around here that I think would provide her with the correct care she needs but her parents coverage also does not cover anything out of state. Is there any option for coverage out of state?

    Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I can provide any extra information if needed. Thank you to anyone willing to help point us in the right direction!

    submitted by /u/TrypZdubstep
    [link] [comments]

    Can you modify an individual disability insurance plan after you've already started paying?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 07:22 PM PDT

    In general, is it possible to modify a plan without undergoing underwriting again if you are only changing things that decreases the insurance carriers level of risk?

    For example, i want to drop certain riders (ie: future benefit increase) to save premium.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/greenerdoc
    [link] [comments]

    AMS 360 to EPIC?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 03:30 PM PDT

    Anybody on here that's recently made the switch from AMS 360 to EPIC? Would love to hear your opinion on the conversion and how it compares.

    submitted by /u/L8kRat
    [link] [comments]

    First time shopping for homeowners insurance

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 12:52 PM PDT

    I currently have Geico policies for my auto (2cars) since almost 4-5 years. I am closing on a house soon and got quotes from two independent insurance agents, and one of them provided quote from Nationwide and other from Travellers. I had contacted local Geico agent as well who provided homeowners insurance via Travellers, which combined with my auto insurance runs may be $100 above the other independent agents quotes ( which will negate once I get 3% discount on auto insurance once I buy home insurance with them). I live in western Pennsylvania, and comparing the three policies, there isn't much difference with the parts and amount covered. (FYI 1 MIL umbrella coverage included) I am confused who should I go with, stay with Geico, go with travellers all the way or nationwide all the way? Also what are everyone's reviews with service with Nationwide versus travellers?

    submitted by /u/reddit_here_rahul
    [link] [comments]

    Progressive Insurance Claim HELP

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 10:06 PM PDT

    Long story short, I was in a car accident with my Co-Worker her car got rear ended. Her car was totaled, and it was technically her fault, but it was really the truck drivers fault. I'm getting medical bills, due to my injuries ... I live in the state Florida so it's a no fault zone so i had to file under my insurance. I was off of work due to the injuries for 3 months, is there anyway i can set up a claim to be compensated for my pain and suffering? I have almost 10k in bodily injury and PIP... What do you think is the smartest course of action is... if i'm going to milk this thing out.

    submitted by /u/wahdawbiz
    [link] [comments]

    Where to start? We are looking for a new insurance provider.

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 04:11 AM PDT

    Our family is located in the USA. We move around every few years due to my spouse's job.
    We've been using USAA for all of our insurance needs for the past 20 years, but its time to change. USAA Insurance has really changed, especially in the last 5-10 years - and we recently dealt with (are still dealing with) the most frustrating, ridiculous experience with a relatively minor auto claim (large enough to be claimed, but a pretty simple claim - no injuries, not too much damage, etc). -- we are so disappointed with USAA we will be dropping all our insurance with them. Of course, not before we find a new company.

    But we don't even know where to start - as I said, we've been with 1 company for 20 years and now we're not sure what questions to ask or which companies are better than others. Here are the insurance products we need:

    2 auto policies
    1 homeowner policy
    6 fire policies (for rental properties) (across several US States)
    1 umbrella policy
    possible - 2 term life insurance policies

    obviously we know we need to compare apples to apples - to have quotes on the same coverage as we currently have. USAA required us to have all insurance with them in order to have umbrella insurance. Is this normal? It seemed like a reasonable request at the time since the policies under the umbrella needed higher liability amounts.

    Bottomline - what are some companies we should be looking into? After our recent experiences with USAA, we realize that customer service is really important to us.

    submitted by /u/FluidCheesecake
    [link] [comments]

    Orthotics no longer wanted, have questions about returning them

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 02:04 PM PDT

    Florida BCBS

    I got a pair of custom orthotic devices built to help with my cerebral palsy. They've been a disaster. I first went to the brace builder in August. It took months to even see if BCBS would cover them because I had started with somone else but the other builder started then stopped the process, but never billed- we needed to determine if they billed.

    It was 4-5 months before builder number 2 could start. Everything about them has been wrong. The footplates were built wrong, the angles on the struts are wrong... I've worn them for about 4 weeks in the last 7 months and those 4 weeks werent consecutive. More like a week here and there.

    I'm supposed to pick them up again tomorrow-There's been so much frustration with them I'm not sure I want them. Add in I have a $2,650 copay for all of this- short of walking on water with them I don't want them. My old ones worked okay but tore up my shoes fast(they were running shoes, so lightweight and not too durable) For $2600 I buy many pairs of shoes, and more suitable pairs as well.

    Can you offer any advice on what to tell BCBS?

    submitted by /u/reddituseranyonymous
    [link] [comments]

    Im 18 yo and live in new jersey

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 05:43 PM PDT

    So since i got my car i thought i would be able to pay for my auto insurance because i thought i would still have my job but thats not the case anymore and im still im school, im paying $350 for my insurance which is currently progressive (it was the lowest i could find) and i really cant keep paying this, i cant put the insurance under my parents name and they cant help me out pay it but i need my car to go everywhere since im still in school and theres no buses or mobilization where i live, is there any other way i can lower my rate or find something i can do im in a lot of stress because at this point is just too much money and ive been trying to look for a job but i cant happen to find one since is not the season, i would love someone that could help since ive been in my own pretty much this past years

    submitted by /u/martinrg001
    [link] [comments]

    Student Exemption Question (License/Insurance) - BC, Canada

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 04:40 PM PDT

    Hello all! This will probably be confusing, and I doubt there's an answer, but I've exhausted all other options. No one knows what to do!

    My boyfriend and I recently moved to British Columbia. We are both originally from New Brunswick, but we have been living in Ontario for the past 5 years for university. He switched over to an Ontario driver's license last year after he was done university (he finished a year earlier than I did), and I remained an NB resident due to still being a full-time student (you can only receive financial aid in the province where you've last lived for 12 continuous months not in post-secondary). Boyfriend is now working full-time in BC & I am a post-secondary student at a school in BC.

    We brought my car with us to BC (registered in NB under my name), as we want to do road trips, drive to the gym, get groceries, etc.

    As I am a student, I had to apply for a BC student exemption for insurance. I told my NB insurance provider that I also wanted to list my boyfriend as a driver on my insurance policy, but they told me that this is only possible if he keeps his Ontario driver's license. The NB provider said that if he switches it over to a BC license, they cannot add him to the policy, as their system doesn't register licenses from ICBC. ICBC says they can't help with this. I don't like the idea of having him keep his Ontario license, as he by law needs to switch to a BC license 90 days after moving here.

    My question is: How do I make sure my boyfriend is insured to drive my car? He drives it more than just as an occasional driver - to be honest, he does most of the driving.

    Do we switch ownership of the car to him, register it in BC, then hope that ICBC will cover both of us? Or do I just not add my boyfriend to my NB policy and hope that he gets covered anyway in case of an accident? I'm so confused.

    If there is a better subreddit to post this in, just let me know! Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/squiddon3
    [link] [comments]

    UK residents, make sure you shop around

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 12:39 PM PDT

    Dallas Tornado Homeowner's Claim Questions

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 09:50 AM PDT

    TLDR at the bottom:

    We were affected by the Dallas, TX tornado on Oct 20th. Our home suffered decent exterior damage but we suffered devastating tree loss of 50+ year old trees. Lucky for us the 20+ inch thick branches did not hit the house, but what remains of the trees (big thick trunks) will eventually have to come down. This looks like it will be a HUGE out of pocket expense since most of the tree branches did not fall on the house. We discovered that in Texas, insurance will not cover branches that do not fall on the house (my carrier gave us $1k for branch cleanup but some neighbors got nothing).

    High level summary of property damage is as follows:

    - Roof - New asphalt shingle roof to be installed, replace some broken decking, replace 2 broken attic rafters (existing 3 tab shingle was about 9 years old at the time of loss). Current roof is weather tight now that it has been tarped but shingles are missing.

    - New Carport - 20x30 aluminum carport attached to the main house was completely ripped off (I think this counts as part of the main structure)

    - New Fence - 190 linear feet of 9 year old cedar fencing was damaged or ripped away completely (exterior structure)

    We have good insurance (carrier name withheld for now due to open claim).

    I recently got my preliminary settlement from the agent sent to me and they say a check is on the way. The roof and structure summary seems somewhat accurate(~$32k before recoverable depreciation), but the total external structures settlement seems very low (about $4k). We are looking at $10k out of pocket just for tree removal of 5 tree trunks that are about 50-60ft tall and about 30-42 inches thick), so we need our money to go a long way here but still fix all the items so we can also recover the recoverable depreciation items by this time next year.

    I have some questions about my first ever insurance claim:

    - Question 1 - Roofers trying hard to get my business and most promise to replace the roof for no out of pocket beyond the deductible. Most of these companies are roofers that I didnt call but they approached me while I was doing cleanup in my yard. I feel like this is scammish and my gut says "whats the catch". It is a 5/12 sloped asphalt shingle roof about 30 squares in size on a traditional 1965 single story ranch. Do I have to let the roofer pocket insurance money minus the deductible? Personally, I would rather hire my own honest roofer and just pay him what it costs to install the roof. I have heard these "chuck's in trucks" (what my neighbor calls them) swoop in, install a roof that normally costs $12k but bills the insurance much higher and still takes your deductible payment in the form of a check. I am lost here. Are they taking some of my precious claim money in the process? Am I being scammed by letting them collect directly from the insurance company?

    - Question 2 - I have heard not to deposit any settlement money if you do not agree with the settlement. If you do accept the money, it waives you from getting any further settlement for the scope of work. I do know that we can supplement the claim if we find more damage during the repair process.

    - Question 3 - I have been told to hire an independent adjuster or lawyer if we feel the settlement is unjust. It is an out of pocket expense but may give us leverage and more settlement money in the long run. Is this worth pursuing?

    - Question 4 - Can we use some of the claim money for our tree demolition as long as we make all other repairs like roof and fence? We were thinking of using the carport money to start the tree removal. We dont need a carport, but we need these trees removed before they die and fall on the house (my understanding is that any future tree that falls is not covered because I did not remove it in time).

    Question 5 - What are the typical recoverable depreciation items other than the roof? Would the carport (attached to the edge of the house) be one of those items?

    TLDR: First ever homeowner insurance claim due to tornado & I am somewhat overwhelmed on what my next steps are now that I have seen the preliminary settlement from the insurance company adjuster. I have so many out of pocket expenses not covered that will exceed the emergency fund ~($10k) of cash that I have. Need advice on questions above.

    Thanks in advance,

    Chris

    submitted by /u/chrisivc
    [link] [comments]

    $2 million in life insurance and occasional recreational marijuana use.... What should I really admit to?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 11:46 AM PDT

    Hi r/insurance,

    I'm in my low 30s, have a family, and earn a high salary. I need a term policy of about $2 million and have been exploring options with a broker and online.

    I'm in excellent health, but I've smoked marijuana on and off for probably the past 10 years. I haven't had any marijuana in the past 6 months, so I know I'd have no issues passing drug tests, medical exams, etc. to get approved. My broker says since it's just occasional use and I haven't had any for half a year that I should just say NO on my applications to having used marijuana.

    My hangup: I'm not just concerned about approval, but also about actually getting a death benefit paid if something were to happen to me. A lot of discussions about this topic seem to focus on getting past that approval phase, but I suspect there may be some scrutiny if I die with a $2 million policy and had marijuana in my system when I said X number of months or years ago that I've never used marijuana.

    I've delayed signing up for a while because of this. I actually started to admit on one application that I had prior marijuana use, but it then immediately took me to a section called "Preferred Smoker" to continue, and I am not proceeding with a company that instantly brands me as a smoker just because I used some amount of marijuana at some time in the past. So I backed out of that application and aborted without submitting anything. I have seen others that get a lot more granular and even ask things like "how long ago?", "how often?", "smoked or edible?", etc. It would be EASIER to be honest on those since they seem to care about the nuances, but I'm still concerned that I may be overdoing it and saying too much if I admit anything, especially because I'm 100% clean right now.

    I have Googled extensively and despite the warnings, I've not found any actual data on a life insurance company refusing to pay a death benefit because someone had marijuana in their system, nor heard of insurers investigating unreported prior use too deeply. For example, let's say I die in a few years and they find marijuana in my system. Are they going to go interviewing my family and friends to try and find out if I used marijuana before and said I didn't? Or will they just deny the payout outright if toxicology shows THC?

    Part of me says I'll have greatest peace of mind if I am just 100% honest and say that I've smoked in the past, but haven't in the past 6 months. However, am I still a smoker in their eyes then? Does a certain amount of time need to pass? How big of a hike in premiums is reasonable to expect from the simple act of admitting to past marijuana use?

    How common are policies that include language about not paying out if the person died with illegal drugs in their system? Is all of this moot because I plan to use marijuana again in the future? Practically speaking, do life insurers truly execute on this, and withhold death benefits on the basis that the insured smoked marijuana at some unknown point in the past 30 days?

    Would appreciate any guidance...

    submitted by /u/guasydfoiu2891
    [link] [comments]

    Second parking lot accident since January

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 02:56 PM PDT

    I rear ended a car in a store parking lot on January and the victim filed a claim on my auto insurance. I turned into a spot and hit a car this week. I wanted to pay out of pocket but the victim said they'd need a rental as well and I don't think I can cover all of that. If I file a second claim for another parking lot accident will my rates be astronomical? Will I get dropped? Prior to this year I haven't had an at fault accident in about eight years.

    submitted by /u/Banglophile
    [link] [comments]

    [Question - Insurance] Help me choose an insurance for 2020?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 02:56 PM PDT

    Double Vision Insurance

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 08:57 AM PDT

    My husband and I are trying to plan our insurance through our employers.
    We are going to go on our separate health plans, but we were thinking of adding him to my vision plan as well as his, because he needs both contacts and glasses and insurance will only cover one or the other. So we were hoping to get his contacts on mine and glasses on his. We live in Florida. Has anyone ever done this before? Is it even possible?

    We were also thinking of maybe putting him on my vision plan to get contacts, and then take him off in January when we have to adjust our plans for our baby being born and then put him on his. But we want to make sure we use the benefits first.

    submitted by /u/spaceyxo
    [link] [comments]

    Homeowners is denying my claim- Should I keep paying?

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 08:41 AM PDT

    Hey guys, thanks for taking the time to read this. I moved into my father's house after he passed and immediately filed a claim because of some gnarly water damage that happened while we were moving in.

    The insurance company hemmed and hawed and wouldn't come out for about two months and after they finally did they denied the claim. We have an independent adjuster on the claim, but he seems to be dragging his feet (at least in my opinion.) No real progress is being made.

    The problem I have is another payment is due to this company next month and not only are they denying this claim, but they've also informed us that this will be our last year with them as an insurance provider. My question is should I keep paying for this insurance?

    Thanks!

    Edit because my comments are doing that thing where they look like they're posting but they also don't.

    The reason for the claim denial was that they weren't allowed into the house for an extended period of time, which isn't true- according to the adjuster they were 'too busy' to come out.

    submitted by /u/thedrewsef
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment