• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 29, 2019

    Accounting You're replaceable. This is a reaction what someone would call a boss when being told that one of his staff died. In a fucking group chat.

    Accounting You're replaceable. This is a reaction what someone would call a boss when being told that one of his staff died. In a fucking group chat.


    You're replaceable. This is a reaction what someone would call a boss when being told that one of his staff died. In a fucking group chat.

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 08:47 AM PDT

    I can never go back

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 06:04 PM PDT

    Can We Stop The Trend Of...

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 03:17 PM PDT

    Recent College graduates or current college students announcing via LinkedIn that they just signed to a big 4 like they are a 5-Star recruit signing to an SEC school for football?

    submitted by /u/accountingthrowking
    [link] [comments]

    I fucked up at Big 4 and now I don’t know where to go. Advice would be appreciated!

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 07:57 PM PDT

    I have bad anxiety and imposter syndrome. Before and after I graduated from college, I had a really cool-sounding 8-month internship where I learned very little and made enough moolah to buy a car and make a down payment for a townhouse - it was like interning at the White House. I was given my OWN office, had 2 hours of real work per day, read a bunch of books during work per my boss's request, and attended important meetings and shadowed upper mgmt. I worked 35 hours per week and people liked me. The agency really only gives full-time offers to folks with PhDs. Also the agency provided me with free housing across the street.

    This internship helped me land a FT offer at Big 4 audit. I had already accepted an offer but decided to go Big 4 when they hired me right before the Christmas holidays. I think I made my internship sound a lot more challenging than it really was. When I started, I was shocked. I'd been told I'd be on a client closer to home but then was placed on a different one. My commute was a minimum of 3 hours per day, I could never leave work before 8pm. At the time it felt outrageous to leave home at 6am and come home at or after 10pm..everyday. On top of it all, one midnight I slipped on ice and chipped my hip bone, for which I went to the ER. I hadn't brought home my laptop that night because I thought I'd be back in the office by 9 the next morning. I ended up missing work that Friday and weekend. Everyone on my team freaked. I spent the rest of busy season with a poor attitude because I had trouble sitting and walking. Then I missed the weekend before filing after having worked two consecutive weeks of 14 hours/day. I know everyone was working even longer hours but i was on the verge of death. I had never before worked even 40 hours a week so to work 60+ hours/week beginning in the first week was hell.

    Afterward my team just hated me - with good reason. I didn't understand it at the time but now I do. I received a shitty annual review and then even shittier ones going forward. Eventually I quit because my manager hated me and also because I'd only spent a week recovering from surgery rather than the recommended 6 weeks.

    I've found a job in industry that has the downsides hours-wise of Big 4 (9-8pm is the norm) without many of the upsides (career advancement). I'm in a constant state of anxiety because I was told I was shit at Big 4 and also because I haven't told anyone about my chipped hip during Big 4. People expect a lot from me and I constantly feel dumb.

    I feel like my resume makes me appear smarter than I am. Everyone asks me about my White House-esque internship, my photos with Joe Biden-like celebs, and are also impressed by my accomplishments. Then they realize that I can barely run pivot tables and that I dislike working overtime. I was an English and Russian double major goddamn it. I wasted too much time reading Tolstoy and not enough time dabbling in Excel.

    submitted by /u/skittishkittins
    [link] [comments]

    Any financial analysts here that used to be auditors? Was it worth it? Growth potential?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 04:26 PM PDT

    Edit: Financial Planning and Analysis

    submitted by /u/yeetyagga
    [link] [comments]

    When busy season ended 10/15 but you roll onto quarters and 3/31 clients

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 04:08 AM PDT

    So if I major in accounting but don't go for the CPA or public, what's going to happen?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 12:35 PM PDT

    I'm largely doing this major so that I can sustain myself and not be a leech on society. I like it more than engineering and other highly hard scientific fields, but I don't really feel a strong desire to be highly ambitious. I just want to come in, have something to do, get it done, enjoy my life and have enough for a comfortable family life one day. Could I do this without the CPA? Should I go government right away out of college? I'm at a good university where I could aim for Big 4 but I'm not really feeling that tbh. UW-Madison. I don't want to pay for the extra year of school I would need to get the 150 for the CPA. I'm probably going to come out of here with 40k in debt even without the extra 30 credits.

    submitted by /u/Kobe_AYEEEEE
    [link] [comments]

    How your job R/Accounting? Do you have any negative thoughts?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 06:34 AM PDT

    If you left a firm (B4 or top10) where did you go and what are you doing now? What was your path to get there?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 06:04 PM PDT

    Curious to see how everyone's careers differ. Always looking for advice and insight!!

    submitted by /u/PolarJay
    [link] [comments]

    X-LOOKUP Is Ruining Excel

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 07:54 PM PDT

    Fighting auditors

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 07:03 PM PDT

    Just a rant. I am just so tired of this year's auditors. They didn't ask any questions or information over the last couple of months when they had the financials and I kept following up with them to provide me their request list. And now with deadlines approaching in a week they sent me all of their list making it really impossible for me to put everything together in a week.

    Why couldn't they do their jobs efficiently and send me their list upfront? I am really curious what they did over the last few months, so I am challenging them really hard to explain me why this list has come through now. No one obviously has an explanation and I am sure I will get blamed for all of this at the end.

    submitted by /u/sgcray
    [link] [comments]

    After working at the big 4 for a while, I can confidently say that I miss working at a smaller firm

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 09:57 PM PDT

    This shit kinda blows. Small stuff like not having any Face time with the people you work with, corporate bureaucracy, and overall processes that are cumbersome and don't make much sense.

    I miss casual wear, having a stocked fridge and free food, etc. I never thought I'd say this but I MISS having cubicles, cuz flex office spaces make you feel like you never belong in the office. Having such a factory-style culture at the b4 is disheartening

    To those who think b4 is the end-all be-all, maybe it's for the better if you join a smaller firm in the end

    submitted by /u/SendTheDamnConfirms
    [link] [comments]

    I have made an app that lists all the Excel formulas with syntax, description and examples. Ready for your feedbacks.

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 09:48 AM PDT

    2019 CFE Call to Action

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 06:13 PM PDT

    Enough is enough. We are far too educated and worked too hard to accept this. We pay the fees. We are the stakeholders. It is not acceptable for a profession to fall on their face.

    We need to maintain the integrity of this professional body.

    Here is my proposal for acceptable course of action: 1. Petition to remove the entire board of CPA Canada. Find people who aren't 60 plus and know the basics of software.

    https://www.cpacanada.ca/en/the-cpa-profession/about-cpa-canada/governance-of-cpa-canada/cpa-canada-board-of-directors

    1. Failure of acceptable action will result in no fees being paid for 2020.

    I have started a petition below. Circulate to your fellow colleagues. We can't put the fate of our profession in such careless hands.

    Sorry CPA Canada you were assessed as NOT COMPETENT.

    submitted by /u/draincpaswamp
    [link] [comments]

    KPMG vs EY

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 03:29 PM PDT

    I got an offer from EY and KPMG and I'm torn between which one to pick. I know people say pick the firm with the best people, but I'm also weary of the reputation with each firm. I definitely connected with KPMG people more, but I also know the firm itself has been in the news for poor quality audits and is often on the receiving end of jokes about its prestige. If you guys could give me some insight that'd be much appreciated!

    submitted by /u/whalewhisperer55
    [link] [comments]

    Coworkers bragging about who's busy season was worst

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 06:29 PM PDT

    I was basically a coffee/food getter as an audit intern. Will this continue as a first year?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 09:41 AM PDT

    I know all interns have to go get food and coffee pretty much everyday, so I didn't mind it. But I really don't want this to be a continuing occurrence when I start full time in a few months.

    Do first years also have to do this?

    submitted by /u/throwaway130131
    [link] [comments]

    Transitioning from private to public?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 06:28 PM PDT

    Hey all, I'm 27 graduating with my bachelors in in the Spring and am wondering if transitioning into public accounting is something that I should consider. I'd love the experience but currently have a good job and don't know whether it'd be worth switching.

    I'm an associate director for the company I work for, make ~80k + bonuses and profit sharing, get unlimited time off and work from home days and they're willing to pay for my CPA exam and study materials.

    I'd want to make the transition because we don't really use CPA's much in my current field other than for annual taxes and I'd like a more well-rounded experience in a broader field. Anyone who made a similar transition find it rewarding? Worth it or nah basically.

    submitted by /u/Ariaff
    [link] [comments]

    Trouble at PwC

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 05:23 AM PDT

    Am I doomed? Junior in accounting with only a volunteer experience in tax. I went to many career fairs and only got one interview.

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 06:17 PM PDT

    Am I screwed. I'm At a non target with a 3.66 GPA that will go down next semester .

    submitted by /u/RepC
    [link] [comments]

    A while ago, there was a post on what job does your S/O have. My question is, how and when did you meet your S/O? Did you meet him/her before or after you started working full time?

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 06:12 PM PDT

    Advice

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 07:52 PM PDT

    Hey I am a grade 12 student located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I was thinking about applying into the University of Alberta's business faculty to get my Bcom and pursue an accounting career here in Edmonton. I know vaguely of what accountants do on a daily basis. I'd like to know how much an accountant(or anything that's related to that) can make in Edmonton from: starting, 5 years, and 10 years into the careers with or without a CPA. How do you move up the ranks? How is the job? What kind of people enjoy accounting? What do I need to do in order to be successful if I do decide to choose this path? Is it easy to find a job in Edmonton that involves this career? How many years did it take for you until you've gotten your CPA? Thank you in advance to anyone who helps me out. I am still just a high schooler that does not know much. Would prefer accountants located in Edmonton or even Alberta to answer the wage and time it takes to get a job question. Many thanks.

    submitted by /u/PhardNShid
    [link] [comments]

    Contacting recruiters from non target

    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 05:38 PM PDT

    How would you contact recruiters at big 4 and mid tier if you went to a small non target? I'm looking for SLP's next summer but don't want to straight up ask for that. I've been explaining my situation and asking for networking tips hoping it leads into them recruiting me. If this is the wrong way to approach them please let me know, I don't mind being told I'm an idiot as long as there's advice following it lol. (Via email & LinkedIn)

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/mike124246jones
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment