• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 31, 2019

    Accounting A little tip for the youngsters trying to get into public accounting

    Accounting A little tip for the youngsters trying to get into public accounting


    A little tip for the youngsters trying to get into public accounting

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 12:58 PM PDT

    It doesn't matter what school you go to. Your GPA doesn't matter. Extracurriculars are great, but don't matter. Networking, the exact same.

    You want a job in public, you go into your interview with any one of the big four and say:

    I work hard

    I learn quickly

    I take responsibility for my actions

    And I have a waffle brain

    And there ya go. One in four chance they offer you a job on that alone.

    submitted by /u/Dr_Work_Cr_Soul
    [link] [comments]

    When it’s 4:00pm and you see your client contact that owes you support heading out.

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 07:26 AM PDT

    New Hire Training Done Right

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 04:56 PM PDT

    Good luck everyone

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 02:13 PM PDT

    Forgetting the laptop charger is even worse...

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 08:15 AM PDT

    After getting no responses to many of my applications

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 10:15 PM PDT

    Real footage of me trying to ace my exams. Or even a single question....

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 08:34 PM PDT

    Scary hours

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 06:27 AM PDT

    Can we all agree that Adobe Acrobat is a pile of shit?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 11:16 AM PDT

    Like why is editing a PDF such a fuckin nightmare sometimes?

    submitted by /u/cremedelacremepie
    [link] [comments]

    5pm busy season

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 08:53 AM PDT

    RECRUITING TIPS

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 05:38 PM PDT

    After recruiting as a student for quite a number of years, I finally did it. I got Big 4 offers and Mid-tiers offers. Recruiting season is done! I learned from my mistakes and errors and I want to give you, young accountants, tips on how to get a B4 offer, whether it'd be a SLP, Internship, or Full-time Job!

    1. USE THE SEARCH BAR. UTILIZE IT

    SERIOUSLY, there are many posts on here that's super useful! Like them all. Just search "recruiting" and you'll get a billion posts that solve your problems. You do not need to make another post

    2. GO TO ANY AND ALL SOCIAL, OFFICE HOURS, ETC THAT A FIRM IS HOSTING

    Recruiters keep track of this. The more that you go to these things, the more chance you'll get an interview! They need to make sure you're not weird and you can socialize. Plus, there's free food and drinks (be 21) sometimes at these events. So, consider going to these events a win-win, free food and free swag and free chances to get interviews! Make sure to sign your name so they keep track.

    3. NETWORK YOUR ASS OFF

    Please do not ask generic questions like "What's Tax?" or "What's Audit?" Ask interesting, fun questions instead. Let them remember your face. The more interesting your questions, the more likely they'll remember you! This is especially important for Meet the Firms and Interviews. The more interesting you are, the more likely they'll like you! Don't be the 100th person to ask "What's Audit" to professionals.

    4. SEND THANK YOU E-MAILS AFTER INTERVIEWS OR MEETING SOMEONE AT MTF

    Because being nice is awesome.

    5. TALK ABOUT THINGS BEYOND ACCOUNTING; WHAT ARE YOUR HOBBIES?

    Imagine you're a professional. You just drove an hour or two to get to Meet the Firms. It's a tiring day from auditing or doing taxes. You want to cry because Prosystems just broke for the 100th time and Excel just froze. And you're doing recruiting. Would you want to hear "WHAT'S IT LIKE BEING AN ACCOUNTANT? WHAT'S YOUR LIFE LIKE" or "DID YOU SEE THE NATIONALS/ASTROS PLAY-OFFS? WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE [ANYTHING]?" Make a connection! It's OK to ask some work-related questions but do not ask them all. Do not be a robot. They are not robots. They are people.

    6. INTERVIEWS CAN DIFFER BETWEEN CONVERSATIONAL OR BEHAVIORAL

    Be prepared for any type of interview.

    7. DON'T BE FAKE.

    Be genuine. And talk. Please do not act braggy or fake. But be yourself and be nice. Because they will judge you on your personality. And if your personality is not good, good luck getting into a firm.

    8. ENJOY THE PERKS OF RECRUITING

    There's too much free food. Enjoy it. I'm a college student and eating a steak is way better than eating on a college budget. Like seriously, recruiting is fun because you get free swag and fidget spinners that you can keep as well as free food! Just enjoy these perks! And take advantage of everything!

    If you need help with recruiting or resumes, let me know! I'm more than happy to help! Good luck with recruiting! LET'S GET THAT KOOL-AID BABYYY

    submitted by /u/koreanbarbequekimchi
    [link] [comments]

    TIL when Ernst & Whinney and Arthur Young merged to form Ernst & Young (EY) in 1989, two of it's most high profile clients were Coca Cola and PepsiCo. Despite EY's best efforts, neither client was comfortable with the situation and ultimately resigned from PepsiCo.

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 04:56 PM PDT

    Coca Cola had been an Ernst & Whinney audit client since the 1920s, while their arch-rivals PepsiCo had been an Arthur Young client since the 1960s. Upon merging a conflict of interest was created between EY and these two great rivals.

    EY informed both clients of the conflict of interest but, despite its best efforts, neither client was comfortable with the situation. As Coca Cola had been a client for longer and commanded a substantially higher audit fee, EY resigned from PepsiCo.

    submitted by /u/namaloomafrad
    [link] [comments]

    What's the worst freakout or meltdown you've ever witnessed at the office?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 08:49 AM PDT

    Who is the GOAT accountant and who is the #1 ranked accountant in the world today?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 05:12 PM PDT

    I like to set high goals so it would be nice to know who my competition is.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/PR0v3
    [link] [comments]

    I had to get my place fumigated this week

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 08:51 PM PDT

    I found a bunch of tick marks on my sheets.

    submitted by /u/Galexio
    [link] [comments]

    First post to share my Halloween costume a few years back. An accountant’s worst nightmare...

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 12:25 PM PDT

    EY: Gold, drug money and a major auditor's 'cover-up'

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 01:35 PM PDT

    *accountant tinder profile* Lady in the streets but a freak in the spreadsheets

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 11:07 AM PDT

    Internship at 32 years old..

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 04:23 PM PDT

    I feel like getting my first internship at 32 is going to be 1) embarrassing, and 2) make it difficult for me to make friends with everyone. There's a group of accounting interns that hang out at a restaurant that I go to in my city, and they are obnoxious little bros. I remember what it was like being 21 and stupid, but thinking about being social with them is awful.

    Now, I know not all interns are going to be male, obnoxious, and bro-ey, but this is all I've been exposed to so far.

    I am afraid I won't fit in, and I'm sure the social scene and politics play into compensation and whatnot. Does anyone here have experience in B4 as an older intern? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/whoisthefather
    [link] [comments]

    Is big4’s referral system a black hole or it’s just I’m not good enough?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 08:07 PM PDT

    I applied through referral link for senior auditor positions with EY and PWC last Monday then BDO this Monday. I got the BDO HR email setting up for interview 2 hours after the submission. And no replies from other 2 yet.

    I'm with a very small local firm now so I know prob I'm not qualified enough for the b4. But I still want to see any update from their end even it's a direct rejection. I'm just concerned that BDO moves so quickly (said I'll have the answer right after the interview next week) that I couldn't wait for the B4 to reach out to me. I really wanna start before the busy season so prob I'll have to go with BDO then?

    Any thoughts on how I wait for this? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/jingiscpa
    [link] [comments]

    When you have to look through old work papers you made to get an answer, but get frustrated at how bad your work was years ago.

    Posted: 30 Oct 2019 10:33 PM PDT

    Just got "terminated" without warning one month in.

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 11:28 AM PDT

    Throwaway account because I'm a little embarrassed. I started a new job at a small company as a junior accountant in late September. Today I was called into the office with HR and my senior accountant. They told me after a re-evaluation with my trainer, another senior accountant, they decided to terminate me. I should've asked them specifically why I'm getting fired, but I was too shocked/concentrating on not crying to ask questions and instead just mumbled an "okay". I think a part of the reason may be because one of the long term accountants on maternity leave was finally coming back tomorrow, Nov. 1. Or maybe I'm just looking for reasons, I dunno. I did make mistakes, but I was only there for a month and still learning. They weren't major mistakes either, minor stuff like I misstyped the invoice number or I filed the wrong paper in the wrong folder because they were stuck together and I didn't notice. Actual major stuff I didn't fuck up. I came in exactly when my senior accountant came in, usually in the office before him. I thought that since I AM getting better/faster at my duties, those initial mistakes won't matter so I was completely shocked with the firing.

    Anyways, how should I go about this when applying for a new job. Should I not even mention my previous position even though there will be a random one month block missing or say that my previous employment didn't work out.

    I guess the most upsetting thing is how fast they booted me. Not even a reason explaining or a few days notice. Just into the office, you're no longer with the company, here's your final check, lemme watch as you take all your crap from your cubicle, and walk you out. 5 minutes.

    submitted by /u/loserthatlosthisjob
    [link] [comments]

    Apprehensive about leaving public accounting

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 06:40 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I was hoping to get advice and experiences from others that have left public accounting.

    I have been in public accounting for about 10 years now. I have had a horrible year personally and professionally. Overall, I feel I have it pretty good and that I work at a fantastic accounting firm. But the stress is taking a toll on me. The stress is truly impacting my health. I am sick of bringing work home and clearing review notes late into the night and being at the mercy of client deadlines. The more I think about it, the more I feel I have no future at the firm. I don't want to be a partner and have all that stress to deal with. When I think about the next couple years of my life, I want to work less, not more. So then I think, what's the point? Why work multiple busy seasons a year? Why deal with the stress? If not now then when?

    And yet, I am having a hard time moving on. I had a job interview last week and practically sabotaged it saying how much I love what I do and my firm. I feel loyal to the firm and I don't know why. I know that I am a very valuable employee and if I were to leave it would leave a hole for them due to my specializations. They have lost quite a few experienced staff recently.

    I'm not sure what I am hanging on to. I have wrote out a list of reasons to leave and a list of reasons to stay… I had 36 reasons to leave and 10 reasons to stay.

    I do have a job opportunity, from what I hear the job is mine if I want it and fits well with my experience. This is a great opportunity, but is more of a lateral move and the pay would be about the same so I would make about the same to work less and have less stress.

    I have seen so many people leave over the years, and they are all happier post public accounting. It's also appealing to me to have more stability and less travel.

    Did anyone else feel this way when leaving public accounting? Anything else I should consider before making this move?

    Thanks!!

    submitted by /u/kornykayy
    [link] [comments]

    Out of the loop...

    Posted: 31 Oct 2019 08:48 PM PDT

    What does "waffle brain" mean?

    submitted by /u/big_purple_daddy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment