• Breaking News

    Tuesday, October 8, 2019

    Accounting Accounting student rant. (Soft skills, brand building, *vomit*)

    Accounting Accounting student rant. (Soft skills, brand building, *vomit*)


    Accounting student rant. (Soft skills, brand building, *vomit*)

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 08:44 AM PDT

    My eyes are going to roll out of my skull if I hear the words, "soft skills," "building your brand," "your network is your net worth," or "appearances + ability = opportunity" one more time.

    I understand that the days of the quiet, reserved bean counter are over, but school today keeps vomiting drek about how "today's breed of accountants" need to be able to:

    • Deliver moving speeches to the adoring masses
    • Be able to strike a "Washington Crossing the Delaware" pose on the intern's 1997 Civic bumper, pointing the way to the building entrance to confused teams of diverse collaborators
    • Give a handshake that's so firm, perfect, and memorable that the CFO will write your name on his tombstone
    • Step out of your car during standstill traffic on the interstate and pass out business cards and handshakes, thus growing your network
    • Perform a citizen's arrest for sexual harassment when the IT guy compliments your collaborator's new haircut
    • (As a hiring manager or recruiter) Identify anyone whose tie is a bit loose, or whose jacket sleeves are slightly too long, and label them as worthless pieces of shit.
    • Show up to meetings 12 hours early, repainting the room to the group's democratically-decided favorite color (and preferably bringing homemade macaroons while being aware of any member's food allergy)
    • Work the remaining 16 hours of the day after doing everything above

    I'm so over all the "complete professional program" bullshit. If an accountant knows how to match their shoes and belt, isn't a jerk, knows when to speak and when to shut up, and (most importantly) understands the work, that's a good hire.

    Fuckity fuck fuck I'm so sick of it. Fuck. FUCK.

    Anyway I'm done.

    submitted by /u/JohnH550
    [link] [comments]

    While you partied I studied the way of the Internal Revenue Code

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 12:36 PM PDT

    When people turn in their laptop and leave public accounting for good.

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 11:20 AM PDT

    When it’s a week til 10/15 and a partner comes into your office to ask how you got your charitable contributions number.

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 01:00 PM PDT

    Life Decisions - When a random day in October is your worst nightmare..

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 07:51 PM PDT

    When you get that B4 offer

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 07:18 AM PDT

    When you're using the urinal and your boss comes in and uses the one next to you...

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 02:42 PM PDT

    Does this mean I'm up for promotion?

    submitted by /u/Pretreneur
    [link] [comments]

    When to exit a low paying staff position?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 05:49 PM PDT

    Here's the deal. I'm an older candidate late 20s NYC who passed the cpa exams and currently with a local cpa firm making mid 40k. This is my first accounting position. I'm here for the sign off to be licensed. I doubt they will give me a significant raise after my annual work.

    My question is should I jump ship to a bigger firm or industry after that one year? I'm afraid it'll look bad on my resume but I don't want to be making peanuts for another cycle especially with more doors opening after adding those 3 letters next to my name.

    Any insights, similar exp out there?

    submitted by /u/dontmakemedebityou
    [link] [comments]

    Plante Moran vs Baker Tilly

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 05:42 PM PDT

    How would you compare the companies and which is better to work for?

    submitted by /u/gbp1287
    [link] [comments]

    Only way to get that ACA

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 04:55 AM PDT

    [Serious] Accountants of Reddit, do you want to work with startups and why?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 09:16 PM PDT

    The CPA exam didn't go over that! Pls help! ��

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 09:09 PM PDT

    Recruiting question - Audit associate

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 04:36 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am a college senior from Chicago finishing my degree's in accounting and finance this June. During the recruiting season I applied to for the 2020 Fall Audit associate position with Grant Thornton for which i interviewed this past Friday October 4th at my schools campus. The interview was an hour long, I spoke to two different senior managers for 30 mins each. I felt that the interview went extremely well based on the conversations I had with both senior managers as well as the first year associates in the waiting room. I received a phone call from one of the senior managers I interviewed with on Monday October 7th, during which she said she was impressed with my interview, and offered me the position I was interviewing for and congratulated me. She also mentioned that I should be receiving an email in the next two days or sooner with the exact details regarding start date, salary, etc, and that I was also invited to an event this coming Friday to visit their home office. Today I received an email from GT stating that I was invited to "second round interviews" on Friday, with a pre-interview event being held the evening prior. Has anyone had a situation like this happen? What would be the best way to obtain some clarity on this situation? After receiving the emails today, I am unsure of where I stand. I appreciate all assistance and insight.

    submitted by /u/Creamyyypies
    [link] [comments]

    Are the Becker/Roger videos now relevant for 2020?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 06:30 PM PDT

    I'm currently studying for FAR. I heard there will be changes for FAR in 2020? Are the study materials I have now good for January 2020? Or should I take my exam in early December 2019 before the black out dates?

    submitted by /u/Himynameismina
    [link] [comments]

    Salary negotiations

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 06:07 PM PDT

    How do I go about this?

    I was once told to not list a salary because they might come above. I've also been told to list a salary because the final figure will always be closest to the number first said.

    For my application I listed 60k, I'd be an A1 in Denver. Did i fuck up by saying that number? Should i have listed more or less or not at all?

    submitted by /u/ADSwasAISloveDKS
    [link] [comments]

    Worst mess-up you ever had

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 09:22 PM PDT

    Whats the worst screw-up you have had in your accounting/finance career ?

    submitted by /u/youfeelme1997
    [link] [comments]

    Does it really matter what school I go to?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 02:36 PM PDT

    I'm currently attending community college, with hopes of transferring out either next semester or next fall. I want to study accounting and my two options are to stay home and commute to a local university or go away to a different university (both of which I've been previously accepted to). The second school has a much better reputation for business students while the first school is more oriented towards medical students. Upon first glance, it would probably seem obvious that I should go to the second, business oriented school. However, I'm not sure if I want to go away to school, and I am thinking that I would rather commute. My question is, am I putting my future career at risk? Will I have a harder time finding a well paying career after graduation?

    submitted by /u/hmnims
    [link] [comments]

    How do you identify burnout?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 10:13 AM PDT

    I think i'm getting there, i'm waking up tired everyday and a whole slew of health problems.

    submitted by /u/SeriousIntern
    [link] [comments]

    The Scariest thing Stephen King ever wrote (...for Accountants...)

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 10:50 AM PDT

    I was listening to the Audiobook of The Shining on my way to work today, and I think I may have flinched at the opening. Stuart Ullman is discussing the financial struggles of the Overlook Hotel, and how he finally turned it around after it lost money for seventy years. He says one factor was the "Depreciation" from all the damage during the winter, which is of course why he was hiring a winter caretaker to run the boiler during the winter in the first place.

    Now, being only an intern I decided to ask the CPA at my firm if a hotel with a winter caretaker might have been able to use a longer depreciation schedule. He said no, as I suspected.

    Just curious if anyone else found themselves taken out of the book by Mr. King's misunderstanding of proper Accounting terminology?

    submitted by /u/Serpenthrope
    [link] [comments]

    Is it still worth it?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 12:24 PM PDT

    So currently I'm a non traditional student who will soon transfer to a University that is recruited by the big 4 as well as some F500 companies. However after looking around online at some websites it seems a lot of people in accounting start out around 40k (I've seen a small local firm paying 35k a year) and a large chunk of people ending up at 60k after 10 years in the field. I'm not sure if that is something I'd be satisfied with necessarily not to sound ungrateful.

    The University I'm transferring to has their most popular major as business. Judging by some of the salaries I'm not sure if it's over saturated or not. I'm currently in the Grand Rapids MI metro if anyone has some experience in the region. My goals I guess are to get my CPA as well as achieve maybe 80k after 5-6 years and hopefully 100k around 10 years or so. I'm just not sure if those are achievable with accounting in my area or if I should switch to CS while I have less time invested (It's something I can tolerate but don't enjoy as much as accounting). Also not sure if all of this is just my fear of making a huge commitment since I'm pretty risk averse.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/VandeyS
    [link] [comments]

    Any advice or critiques?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 07:55 PM PDT

    Deloitte Risk & Financial Advisory - Full Time ERP Consultant - Final Phone Interview?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 07:28 PM PDT

    I had my first virtual interview via HireVue with two Deloitte professionals back-to-back 30 minutes last week and today I received a missed phone call from the recruiter, but she texted me asking what times I would be available for a "Final Phone Interview" for this coming Thursday.

    My question is why would the recruiter reach out to applicants via phone or text to schedule a "final phone interview"? This is the first that I have heard of a final interview being conducted via phone. I confirmed the time she had listed and asked for an e-mail confirmation to be sent to my school e-mail, but still nothing. I have no information about how long the "final phone interview" will be and whom I will be speaking to.

    The first thing that came to my mind is that this could be a scammer who is impersonating a Deloitte recruiter's name and tricking applicants into thinking they had gotten a second round interview, but idk?

    Any other applicants who had a similar experience as I did?

    submitted by /u/PsychedelicWisdomer
    [link] [comments]

    Feels like my life is coming crashing down on me. Seeking advice.

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 07:07 PM PDT

    Only taking intermediate II and am barely scraping by. I literally have a 70 flat grade in the class and am about to take my second exam Thursday. Reading the book doesn't help. Watching the lectures doesn't help. Watching Farhat doesn't help. Attending class doesn't help. Learnsmart doesn't help. Connect doesn't help. Nothing helps. I didn't get a good foundation in accounting to begin with and now everything is crumbling down in my life. I also just broke my big toe which doesn't help. I'm broke, have no experience in the field, and am becoming quite depressed. I was looking forward to graduating next May now I think I'll reconsider and just jump off a bridge this weekend. IDK if there's anything that's gonna come out of posting here but I figure anything is better than inaction.

    submitted by /u/Mystik-Palace
    [link] [comments]

    Last Minute Intern Interview Tips? Mid-size firm?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 07:01 PM PDT

    My first ever white-collar job interview is fast approaching, and I wanted to see if anyone has any additional tips not found on your typical interview guides.

    I've received compliments on my professionality before; my GPA is strong; previous work history good, but my biggest weakness is that I can appear to be somewhat aloof and too formal during the interview process.

    How casual can one be with the interviewers without speaking too much and saying something uncalled for? Is it better to stay silent during natural pauses than to say something just to fill the silence?

    I can be somewhat awkward, honestly, but do try to be more likeable without being cringey by trying too hard at it.

    submitted by /u/YamatoDamashii_
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment