• Breaking News

    Friday, July 12, 2019

    Why do so many property management companies suck and how can we entrepreneurs solve this problem? small business

    Why do so many property management companies suck and how can we entrepreneurs solve this problem? small business


    Why do so many property management companies suck and how can we entrepreneurs solve this problem?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 01:23 PM PDT

    Most property management companies are awful. It seems that the individual employees are kind and caring, but that does not lead to a faster or effortless experience.

    I've had a ton of problems with my apartment but none of even come close to our AC not working for the past week. This is the third time the AC has been broken in the past 2 months and the longest. The most interesting part is that, unlike every other industry I've seen, property management companies do nothing to makeup for their transgressions.

    Anyway, does anyone have insight into this industry? How can entrepreneurs come in and upend the crappy management companies? It's a field I know so little about but I'm so curious to see if I can make a difference.

    submitted by /u/farquezy
    [link] [comments]

    Issues with people scamming my product

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 08:51 PM PDT

    I sell goods online. People have been taking my pictures, deleting my email, adding their own to the picture and scamming people to pay them.

    On my page I make it clear if it's not my e-mail the goods are not mine. However people see the picture, see the fake email which is very close to mine, and pay them hundreds to a couple of thousands of dollars.

    The moment I find out about a fake account I report it to the app and it gets removed. I put my name and email address through the center of the photo, but they are somehow deleting it and replacing it with the fake email. I am not sure what much more I am able to do.

    I feel like this is causing serious harm to my business as your name means everything and I have spent the past two years building mine.

    submitted by /u/Scooterboi85
    [link] [comments]

    Client is being intolerable, what next? Mobile Cleaning

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 09:18 AM PDT

    We found our first intolerable client. Nitpicks over the cheapest price, constantly ridicules employees, tries to change terms of agreement. First clean we had, we stayed over 2 hours because she "wasn't satisfied". We have a plethora of clients so this loss wont hurt us. Do we rise prices to satisfy the demand of this customer so we aren't losing, do we transfer her to another company and bid adeu? Or just say, no thanks?

    Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/DarkJester89
    [link] [comments]

    Switching to an LLC at the way beginning of the process

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 11:20 PM PDT

    First time posting on r/smallbusiness, so if this gets buried, it's fine. However, I'm a lurker due to my recent foundings in life.

    I've been running a small Photography business for 2 months and grinding to get my first paid cilent. Enough on that story.

    I got the legal troubles out of the way, including registering myself as a business entity with the IRS (Sole Proprietorship). However, since this is small, would I be better off with an LLC from the get go?

    Also, when having a existing business bank account, can I switch it from a sole proprietorship to an LLC? (Don't have one yet, but thinking about one after making a little bit of money.)

    submitted by /u/KDao18
    [link] [comments]

    outlook alternatives?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 10:33 PM PDT

    I have a small business and emails are getting a little hard to manage with Outlook.
    Are there any good easy to organize and manage alternatives people are using these days?

    submitted by /u/yb0t
    [link] [comments]

    PSD To Bootstrap - Mobile Friendly & Responsive Conversion Services

    Posted: 12 Jul 2019 02:49 AM PDT

    Code Builders offers PSD To Bootstrap conversion with W3c compliant code. So that your website will be 100% responsive and mobile friendly to run smoothly on all gadgets

    submitted by /u/cherylmanve
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to help my father grow his carpentry business

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 12:57 PM PDT

    Hello reddit,

    I'm coming to you asking for some advice, ideas or concrete steps which me and my father need to take in order to grow his business.

    Just some basic information first to give you an idea of our current position (I'm sure I'm forgetting something so shoot away in the comments and I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge/ability):

    1) we have literally no saved money

    2) but we also have no debt- no loans, no car payments, mortgages etc, just some leftover bills which do not exceed 2000 euros in total

    3) we are in eastern Europe

    4) growing up in eastern Europe under communism my father obviously wasn't taught anything about how the market and marketing work, and he didn't catch up once the free market arrived (otherwise I most likely wouldn't be here)

    5) I'm in university studying a completely unrelated area (humanities) and also don't know much about how market economy works, however, I am willing to pick up on this and work alongside my father to make something out of his barely afloat business

    Now, my goals are twofold- first, we need to do something in order for the business to stay afloat, otherwise the family wouldn't have anything (mother has been out of the workforce for the past 10 or so years), and second, I had this idea of maybe taking over from my father if the business eventually succeeds or I don't find a good job in my field, so I obviously want some sort of a safety net.

    First things that came to my mind were building our own website and trying to look for customers outside of our home country, but I have no idea which steps I need to take in order to make that happen. How does one go about successfully advertising abroad (or even at home for the beginning) and expanding the net of customers. My father's workshop is equipped both for full restoration of antique pieces as well as manufacturing new pieces of furniture, such as kitchen elements, tables, chairs, wardrobes etc. And he also does occasional woodcutting or other artsy things. These jobs can pay very well but are scarce, and I mean it, as people mostly seek carpenters for minor repairs and buy their new furniture at ikea or similar shops.

    I'm aware it would take a great deal of effort both on his and my end, as well as getting money from somewhere to take the necessary steps in order to become more successful, but first I need to know what are those steps we would need to take for anything to start rolling. And I'm sure there's so much more to this than I have mentioned, or that I can possibly think of at this moment.

    Any and all help is very appreciated

    Edit: if you know of other useful subreddits please let me know

    submitted by /u/_Holy_Roman_Emperor_
    [link] [comments]

    Considering starting a pressure washing company. What am I over looking?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 02:25 PM PDT

    I have a full time job that gives me 5 days off a week (I'm a paramedic, 48 hours on and 96 hours off). I'm looking for a side job where I can create my own hours and still make some decent money. One of my co-workers gave me the idea of doing pressure washing. I've done some research and this is what I have found so far.

    • Only one other company does pressure washing in my area which covers about 400+ square miles

    • I would start with doing driveways, decks and docks.

    • Startup seems fairly cheap and I estimate about $1500-$2000 in equipment and marketing.

    • I can easily make my own schedule with booking clients and doing about 4-5 hours of work on my days off

    • The average going rate for pressure washing is about $100/hr.

    • I would be insured and make the company an LLC.

    What am I missing? It seems like it is easier then it should be. I've done pressure washing before but never commercially. I know that I will have challenges along the way.

    submitted by /u/oleson10
    [link] [comments]

    Working with family

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 07:28 PM PDT

    We own a smallbusiness and have employed some family members and it has worked great for years but now, it just seems like they are becoming too complacent and relaxed. I get attitude and lousy work at times. How do you handle working with family?

    submitted by /u/Tera711
    [link] [comments]

    Made my decision for today, but would appreciate extra input for dealing with future situations.

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 07:22 PM PDT

    Free SEO Audit & Competitor Analysis

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 06:40 PM PDT

    Heyo /r/smallbusiness

    I recently left my in-house digital marketing position and opened up my own SEO service & consulting company.

    I'd like to get some feedback on my process from a client perspective, so I'm offering free SEO audit & competitor analysis for small business owners here. If you're interested, comment below or shoot me a PM.

    Also, feel free to critique my website: https://www.aidanseo.com

    submitted by /u/AidanSEO
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for marketing partner: Unable to get client for web development

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 06:21 PM PDT

    I am working on a product which is a market place for travel and tourism. Currently, I am personally funding this project. All of my employees (5 full times and 3 part-time employees) are offshore, so my development cost is cheap compared to united states (I leave in Colorado). Now I feel a little bit burn out because of all personal investment. Product is not making enough revenue to survive on its own.

    So my idea is to help small businesses to develop their product (Mostly web application, DevOps work) and make some margin out of it and invest in the product. I am at least trying to get 5-6 clients, small business less than 5k budget per month.

    I will handle all the technical stuff, but I have zero knowledge of marketing and dealing with the client. Interested member, please message me.

    submitted by /u/bkpandey
    [link] [comments]

    How to determine operating costs and factor into product pricing

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 07:38 AM PDT

    If anybody could chime in on this I would be interested to see how others factor in operating expenses into the price of their products

    submitted by /u/hisnamesnotimportant
    [link] [comments]

    When I send an invoice PDF - should a PayPal money request be sent simultaneously?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 12:09 PM PDT

    Stupid question, but when I send a PDF invoice with 2 payment methods outline: eTransfer, Paypal & an e-mail [billing@mycompany.com](mailto:billing@mycompany.com) - is that all I need to send the typical modern business person for payment? They will initiate a PayPal payment, or eTransfer on their own accord? I shouldn't pre-send a PayPal request they can ignore if not needed?

    Bonus Question: It'd be nice if the word "PayPal" in my PDF was a clickable link to the proper form - is that possible?

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/KAMALAHARRlS
    [link] [comments]

    My Instagram business

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 05:49 PM PDT

    Hello everybody!! I am a young entrepreneur who is growing on Instagram and attempting to start a small business through Instagram drop shipping. Here is my story, I started off 5 years ago when Instagram wasn't too big but still pretty decently large. I grew to 1k followers after no even trying to grow and just posting random cringe picture of me in the streets of Atlanta. Being raised in Atlanta you hear a ton of music so like any young kid I start to get into music. I would write up diss tracks on friends and play around. My whole school was listening to these horrible songs and joked around about it. (Ended up having like 250k streams in total). Fast forward I am still working on music a year later and I begin to attempt to focus in school. Then I was grounded for 2 years (reason not to be named) I was then given a phone in December, I had stoped making music at this point and still had a bunch of connections in the underground scene. I became a manger for a rapper I saw great potential during maybe the September. He only had 700 followers and I had my account with just 1k. I suddenly turned my account into a business account and started promotion his music through my page. A couple months later I am sitting at 2.8k followers and while I was in school my account was terminated by Instagram and I felt crushed. I started a new Instagram not far after that and gained 3.8k in a couple months. I decided I was really experienced in marketing and rap management. (He has now accumulated 4K followers and over 700k views on Soundcloud, Spotify, Apple Music, etc) I bought a football account that was abandoned for $50. It had 2.8k when I purchased the account and attempted to start my flipping Instagram account business. Fast forward to 3 weeks later (which is now). I now have 5.4k followers and am gaining around 200 followers a day. I was trying to set up a website through Shopify but it needed a bank account and everything and I don't have one. So I attempted to drop-ship through my Instagram story's.(haven't sold anything yet) however yesterday I made my first sell on this new account for a 12 hour story promotion. It was only 3 dollars but I already have a new client lined up for tomorrow. I am very excited to start my new journey on this page.

    Things to consider: through the 2 past Instagram accounts I used to have while promotion the rapper I also gained around $400 from the pages from posting other people. My parents don't think I'm doing anything useful and think I just sit on my butt all day not doing anything but I'm really working on my dream. I want to be a digital marketer and everyone laughs at me when I saw I'm going to be a millionaire and I am going to pursue this full time if the opportunity presents itself. Any tips on how to sell more promotion or sell drop shipping from my Instagram story??

    Sorry for the bad grammar🥴 thank you for reading

    Edit: I have 5.4k followers and I gain around 200 a day along with post that have hit 70k views and I have 600k views this week alone.

    submitted by /u/exoticfootballz
    [link] [comments]

    My father's small family business got negative reviews on Google from kids (I know the kids that wrote it), this is hurting his business a lot, since he relies on Google quite a bit. I've messaged Google, but I'm not sure if it'll help. Can I do?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 04:53 PM PDT

    I’m putting an add in the paper, please help me not look stupid

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 04:46 PM PDT

    Following is what I'm thinking, I am not a writer and I know a lot of you get off on this stuff so please.... gimme some pointers on improving this add. It's going in a business news section called "Bizz Buzz" which is printed once a month and is included in my Chamber of Commerce membership.

    Thanks in advance all you fine people

    It's August, do you still have some gross living on your home or business? It's time to hire a reliable and professional pressure washing company! Look no further than West End Pressure Washing! We are licensed, insured and professional with a schedule that will be sure to make your home or business looking great in no time! Clean up the easy way, attract more customers and look your best by calling Josh at West End Pressure Washing today 360 751 7197. Estimates are always free and prices are better than you think! Veteran Owned and Hometown proud!

    submitted by /u/the-official-review
    [link] [comments]

    Small snack bar

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 04:39 PM PDT

    So here's my issue, boss put me in charge of a small snack bar for the office.

    Nobody carries cash so he wanted to setup a square account and buy a tablet for swiping cards.

    I'm running into the issue of having a bank account attached to it, we don't really generate profits, and if we do have a few extra hundred dollars at the end of the year we just throw a cookout.

    However I'm not sure I want to setup a bank account under my name for this, seems like I could potentially get into some tax issues, plus I don't want a account out there that people could potentially overdraw and ruin my credit.

    I then looked into things like cash apps or PayPal, but those require a card. I thought maybe using a prepaid debit card with those but I'm not sure if that would work.

    I know we can setup a nonprofit org and then open a bank account that way, but that seems like a huge overkill for such a small fund, and looking on the internet, it would cost like 400 fucking dollars to set that up. Plus the paperwork is insane...wtf America why do you make this so hard?

    Does anyone know of any alternative ways that would allow us accept cards for a snack bar without having a bank account or am I treading on super illegal grounds here...seems crazy to me that nobody cares if you do transactions in cash, but soon as cards are put into play it becomes insane.

    submitted by /u/MTA427
    [link] [comments]

    Selling Tech Equipment to Boss - Start a "Business" myself or no?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 12:28 PM PDT

    I recently started working full time for a successful small business that a friend of mine has run for a few years. I often find useful items for us to buy cheaper online, but he often buys things from a store at the last minute, which costs us more money. For a few items here and there, I've bought them myself to have on hand and he'll reimburse me when we use them.

    I'm wondering, would it be useful for me to start a resale "business" for me to buy items, keep inventory, and keep records of selling them to my boss for small profit? He liked the idea, but I'm not sure whether it will be useful, or more trouble than it's worth.

    I would love to have something of my own so it feels like a good place to start for maybe some more serious sales further down the line. I also know people with small businesses are able to write off expenses related to their businesses which may overlap for me (or not, that's why I'm asking).

    Any help or advice would be appreciated. I understand if it's useless and a bad idea. If it seems like something that I could really benefit from, I'd love to start taking the steps to do it. Thanks for any assistance!

    submitted by /u/DumbJokesOften
    [link] [comments]

    File my LLC in California or Virginia ?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 03:50 PM PDT

    Hi,

    I read a lot on this community about LLC, yet I haven't found my answer.

    In short, I just launched a website recently with a for-profit goal behind it. I am currently living in California (Sacramento County) but I will move to Virginia(Fairfax County) within the next 4 to 5 months for my wife's job. Should I file right away in Virginia via an agent or should I file in California than when I moved in Virginia, refile in Virginia and dissolve in California? California seems to have so much regulation, paperwork and fee compare to other states. But I know that I have to file in the state I am residing as the business owner.

    My clients are all across the USA, no specific states.

    Thanks for your help

    submitted by /u/cedrikgaudreault
    [link] [comments]

    What do SMB want?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 10:48 AM PDT

    Our startup has seen a lot of success working with small and medium size businesses over the last year ... but we are finding it difficult to keep our SMB owner-members engaged over time. Initially, they are excited to use our SaaS platform (Offers, advertising, incentives and lead gen resources) but they disengage after a few months and only take advantage of the automated resources our service gives them. To be successful, they need to stay engaged and control the offers and resources in the portal but, more often than not, they eventually stop using the functionality of the software. Is this just the nature of SMB owners? They expect automation without extra effort? Or are we doing something wrong? Any similar experiences? Any advice?

    submitted by /u/nlytle
    [link] [comments]

    Building a new home on acreage. I can build a detached shop for my business to operate in. Suggestions for tax breaks?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 02:28 PM PDT

    I have a CPA, but they are so busy right now they don't have time to explore this. So I am hoping my small business peeps will have some insight.

    I am building a new home on 2.5 acres. My wife and I own a small business (LLC filing as an S Corp) that sells wheelchairs, but not through a store. We deliver all products directly to our customers, and perform all service and repairs at our home shop.

    On our new property we can build a shop. I am planning on building a 1500 SF space that will house our inventory and give us room to do repairs, and will also have an office upstairs.

    We will be building this shop for cash... probably spending around $80,000 to $90,000.

    The questions are:

    1) are there advantages to using company cash to build the shop, instead of our own money?

    2) since it is one tract of land that cannot be subdivided, should our company lease the building from us?

    3) when we sell the house in 10 years (hypothetical) will we have to pay taxes on the gains for that shop? If so, how will that be determined? I am sure the future Buyer will pay one lump sum for the property, so how would we know how much the house was, versus the shop?

    4) There will be one set of utility meters (water, gas, and electric)... should the business pay something back to us for their usage? Should we install submeters?

    Thanks for any guidance.

    submitted by /u/Coffeman94
    [link] [comments]

    theres a million posts titled the same BUT, where do i start? for a physical business

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 02:14 PM PDT

    EDIT: im sorry for the giant ugly blocks of text bear with me.

    i came to this subreddit looking for helpful info but most posts are for online stores, online businesses, website help, and not many physical brick and mortar small businesses. i just dont know where to even begin. what is the first step to starting? i have to register my business name first and then how do i find out if i need permits who do i ask? I'm looking to open up shop in Broward County FL or somewhere around there. I want to have a no kill dog shelter/adoption center of sorts however i did research and it doesnt qualify as a non profit or anything so i dont have to worry about that.

    i just dont know whats the 1,2,3,4 steps of how to get things set up. how do i contact available places to lease? at what point do i start looking for a spot? and are they allowed to turn me down because i will have dogs (like rents have no dog policies, can commercial leases have them too?) how do i make them take me seriously? my biggest battle so far is the fear of nobody taking me seriously. i am young, and even younger looking, so i have decided i will probably have all the paperwork and things under my husbands name and have him with me so i dont look like a goofball lost high schooler who wandered into the wrong building. ive had this business idea since i was 14 and i finally want to bring it to reality and this is what i wanna do with my life. market wont be an issue for me, ive already tested and everything i know itll be fine.

    would i be able to get a start up loan for the costs? where can i get one? is a loan a bad idea and how much should i be spending monthly on my lease? how much of my own money is a good idea/normal to use? i probably will be the only one working there and wont have other employees for a while would i still need to file with the IRS for employer tax or whatever it is? a lot of the broward county sites bring me to a dead end and it looks like itll be a lot of driving to different municipal buildings and asking questions myself, getting paperwork, being turned down, driving back and forth and getting things in order which is why i ask what to do first second third and so on?

    i need my business registered to take money from people right? and do i need a business license to get a lease? will the people who own the building i want require i have certain paperwork what will i need? im sorry theres so many questions i just never see the answers to these things which lead me to believe its easy to start a business and anyone can do it and i see so many goofballs who shouldnt have their own business having one anyways and people who are immigrants and can barely speak english having their own businesses so it should be easy right? if someone who cant speak english can do it i can do it right

    submitted by /u/chitsoge
    [link] [comments]

    Asking for zoning and permissible use verification from landlord before signing lease?

    Posted: 11 Jul 2019 02:09 PM PDT

    Im starting up a small 3d print shop and am looking into leasing a small industrial space. I'm pretty sure from the zoning map that it's in an industrial zone. However, my city lists all permissible uses for each zone and of course, 3d printing isn't listed. The closest 2 that are listed are machine shops and plastic molding. I'm pretty sure I'm ok, but I would really like confirmation before I sign a year lease. Is it normal / acceptable to ask the landlord to obtain this verification from the city before I sign a lease?

    submitted by /u/stirtheory
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment