• Breaking News

    Monday, July 1, 2019

    [PINNED] Promote your business, week of July 1, 2019 small business

    [PINNED] Promote your business, week of July 1, 2019 small business


    [PINNED] Promote your business, week of July 1, 2019

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 06:54 PM PDT

    Post business promotion messages here including special offers especially if you cater to small business.

    Note: To prevent your messages from being flagged by the autofilter, don't use shortened URLs.

    submitted by /u/Charice
    [link] [comments]

    [PINNED] In this post, share your small business experience, successes, failures, AMAs, and lessons learned. Week of July 1, 2019

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 06:55 PM PDT

    This post welcomes and is dedicated to:

    • Your business successes
    • Small business anecdotes
    • Lessons learned
    • Unfortunate events
    • Unofficial AMAs
    • Links to outstanding educational materials (with explanations and/or an extract of the content)

    /r/smallbusiness is one of a very few subs where people can ask questions about operating their small business. To let that happen the main sub is dedicated to answering questions about subscriber's own small businesses.

    Many people also want to talk about things which are not specific questions about their own business. We don't want to disappoint those subscribers and provide this post as a place to share that content without overwhelming specific and often less popular simple questions.

    This isn't a license to spam the thread. Business promotion and free giveaways are welcome only in the Promote Your Business thread. Thinly-veiled website or video promoting posts will be removed as blogspam.

    Discussion of this policy and the purpose of the sub is welcome at https://www.reddit.com/r/smallbusiness/comments/ana6hg/psa_welcome_to_rsmallbusiness_we_are_dedicated_to/

    submitted by /u/Charice
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else decide to embark on self employment because working for someone else was too depressing?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 04:54 AM PDT

    What are the biggest challenges when it comes to creating a website for your business?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 03:32 AM PDT

    I'm thinking about designing an online learning program that empowers business owners to create a high performing website themselves - through a step by step process built on tried and tested user experience principles and strategy.

    I'm trying to identify the biggest problems people have faced with either a DIY or commissioned website solution, so would welcome any feedback - the good the, bad and the ugly.

    Add your comments below and have a great day.

    Karl.

    submitted by /u/designbits
    [link] [comments]

    Property, Classified, Personals, Business, Jobs Matrimonial etc Ads now book Online in Newspaper.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 04:08 AM PDT

    Since there are many Online Ad booking agencies in India, one might be confused regarding which one is the best and trustworthy ad booking agency. From my personal experience, I suggest you- TheMediaCat.

    submitted by /u/divansh_mehta11
    [link] [comments]

    Website building

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 03:53 AM PDT

    As a SMB owner, what's your biggest challenge when building a website?

    submitted by /u/theWanna
    [link] [comments]

    Gauging interest before spending money a good idea?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 03:46 AM PDT

    I plan on starting up my cleaning business but before I spend money on lots of supplies and marketing. Is it ever a good idea to just set up a website and act like I'm a functioning company and see if I get customers?

    submitted by /u/trev3795
    [link] [comments]

    Learn CS, iOS, Android and web development

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 12:46 AM PDT

    We have just launched our new platform. Looking for beta users and general feedback.

    Website: https://mobile-first-academy.teachable.com

    submitted by /u/bykatvchdcom
    [link] [comments]

    Way to route a customer through a voice response system that records their responses to questions so that we can manually purchase something for the user?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 12:41 AM PDT

    So it would first say that it's recording the customer in order to make the purchase, and they could press 1 to agree.

    Then would ask their Name, Address, etc (all usual online payment questions) including their payment information. I'm just now exploring this and I'm thinking it's legal since we're letting them agree to the recording. If anyone knows anything I would greatly appreciate it!

    Note that nothing would need to automatically be purchased as a result. Our team would simply input it for them to ensure the purchase.

    Essentially I guess I'm just looking for a voice system that can ask either A)output robo questions or B) questions we manually voice-record, and then proceeds to ask question after question , say 7-8 questions and then it records that for us.

    submitted by /u/trahh
    [link] [comments]

    Buying my first Business and Negotiation ( Texas)

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 11:39 PM PDT

    So I want to buy a small existing restaurant. I prefer an asset sale and continue DBA with a new LLC. The current owners want to sell me the S-Corp. Outside of liabilities following a stock sale what benefits do the owners get from selling me the stock vs assets?

    submitted by /u/psykid85
    [link] [comments]

    Buying a Small Business and Understanding taxes (TX)

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 10:58 PM PDT

    (TX)So I'm a tax idiot buying an existing small business (restaurant) for the first time. I've never had the need to itemize and have always just taken the standard deduction. I get basic accounting principles. Took a couple undergraduate courses 40 years ago.

    So lets say I take 100K out an IRA to purchase an existing. That 100K counts towards my AGI correct? Can I deduct any of the expenses from the purchase of the business. How does this effect my personal income tax AGI and how does it differ from an S-Corp income tax return?

    submitted by /u/psykid85
    [link] [comments]

    what are thoughts on BBVA Compass Business Checking vs Azlo vs Nova bank for single person LLC doing freelance work

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 10:22 PM PDT

    I plan to open LLC for my side business. Where do I learn how to manage finances, Do’s and Do Not’s for taxes?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 09:56 PM PDT

    How should we handle our LLC now that one member isn't really an 'owner' anymore?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 08:11 PM PDT

    Hi r/smallbusiness- we've got some questions and could use some advice about our video production company.

    In 2016, myself (guy who likes spreadsheets) and another filmmaker (guy who likes cameras) decided to team up and formed an LLC, splitting it 60/40.

    But the last couple years have been very confusing. We both still work on the side a sole proprietors separately from each other but don't do that work through the LLC. He owns a lot of equipment (paid for out of his pocket) that he rents out, while I do a lot of paperwork for other film productions that he has nothing to do with.

    I have taken on all of the expenses of the LLC and have been running the business by myself since the start. After a while, my partner and I finally accepted that splitting it 60/40 just doesn't make sense, especially when I'm putting up all the money and doing all the leg work, while he tends to just donate his time/gear a couple days per year. Our contract work outside of the business is getting further and further away from each other (he works with crews on film sets, while I work with accountants in pre-production).

    We're wondering what we should do, structure wise, that makes sense for us. We still view ourselves as a team and we both love this business we started, but this just doesn't make sense.

    submitted by /u/TenRoads
    [link] [comments]

    What kind of social media content could you benefit from most as a small business owner or aspiring business owner? (SURVEY)

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 08:05 PM PDT

    Does anyone know of a clocking-in machine that can send alerts to a phone if someone doesn't clock in by a certain time?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 01:59 PM PDT

    I run a small hotel and have started employing breakfast chefs to serve to the public. They don't always arrive on time because they think they can get away with it because I'm not there to see them in, even though a big part of hiring them is so that I don't have to work all hours of the day.

    I'd like a clocking-in system that not only records when employees arrive, but can also send me an alert to my phone if e.g. nobody clocks in by 7am (so I can bust down there quick to make sure the customers at least get served)

    Can anyone recommend such a thing?

    submitted by /u/I_Bin_Painting
    [link] [comments]

    How much does 'years of manufacturing experience' + 'years of online/local presence' play a part?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 07:10 PM PDT

    If you were for example making preowned motorcycles into custom motorcycles, how much improvement can you make in design, faster process and more complex making within 5 years compared to a person just getting in?

    For online presence how much is being known by groups of people and having a large fan base useful, in terms of increasing marketing outreach? Having 10,000 instagram followers and being talked about or seen in online magazines + local clubs, how much more outreach do you get being around for a while vs a person that just gets in with none?

    submitted by /u/ShoemakingHobbyist
    [link] [comments]

    How Can I Start to Help My Family's Small Business of Gas Stations?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 06:22 PM PDT

    My Dad owns a few small businesses, namely gas stations. Lately he's had some challenges with his business partner who isn't focused and is putting a huge strain on my Dad.

    As a working professional with a background in Operations (Fortune 500) how can I help my Dad turn the business around?

    Logically one would ask him exactly what I am asking but I feel that him and I struggle with communication. In addition I know next to nothing about operating a gas station, managing employees, etc. and my experience has been purely in Corporate America sitting behind a desk.

    I want to help so as to take the burden off of him but I'm scared that by helping I would only be making things work and be yet another burden on him.

    Any advice? Thank You!

    submitted by /u/Texcapitalist
    [link] [comments]

    Is advertisement appropriate?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 05:33 PM PDT

    Crossposted because original board isn't very active .

    Im a massage therapist and am about to open my doors in about 3 weeks. I have a friend who is in esthetics school that will graduate in a few months and we have discussed her coming on board at my shop when she is licensed. She posted something last night that I did not like that tagged me and had my business name in it, so I asked her to take it down. She changed it and took out my business name but kept the status up. I think that means she doesn't see an issue with it. Would you be okay with this status as advertisement? Not sure if I'm overreacting?

    "I'm at the point in my education where I just want to give everyone a facial. Y'all be posting pictures and I'm thinking about making you look younger and brighter 🤷🏻‍♀️

    I cannot wait until the day I can tell you all to come see me @ (my business name)"

    I just think it seems kind of insulting to the people on her friends list who post pictures. She doesn't agree. Ultimately, it's my business, my decision but I'm wondering what you all think.

    submitted by /u/Quietfortool0ng
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions for my New Work Shift Plan

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 05:13 PM PDT

    I previously posted about min wage hikes in NJ. Well I always pay above it and now 10 is the new min while 11 is coming in January. IMO time moves quickly so I always try to get ahead of things. 11 an hour for 55 hour shifts is going to cost me too much and I realize now that 10 an hour right now for drivers itself was too much with OT.

    My resulting schedule is a breakdown of my sales throughout the day. I usually have 8 drivers on hand. Saturdays are busy my entire day so that will require 8 drivers no matter the time. As for 8am-9am I only need 5-6 most. Between 1-4pm I only need 6 drivers 7 at most. Between 4-5 I only need 5 or 6 max and finally between the final hour of work 5pm-6pm I only need 4.

    This itself shaves off 440 hours of work to 384. This is with the min driver estimates. I can then afford to pay them all 13 an hour, effectively about .30 more than what they make now AND save about 700 a week.

    Obviously these numbers are extremely fluid, but thats my first go at it. I looked at the scheduling and ideally I wanted my oldest drivers to start off, the ones who always are on time and always come, from 8-1. Thats 33 hours when I include all day Saturday.

    Then I can have another shift come in at 1-6 for 28 hours.

    The biggest issue Im going to have here is being able to work out the actual shift schedule. I only need 4 people at 5pm-6pm and taking an hour away from the 2nd shift people will sting. So I have to get creative and figure out where I can take away hours while making up for it in other spots.

    Some of my ideas are me just working at it for the rest of the month and figuring out who I want where and deciding on my own. The other idea is for me to pass out the schedule and show the breakdowns and let people sign up for the times they want. Obviously Ill have issues with people not liking times and choosing the same times but Im not sure how else to do it.

    submitted by /u/Sly_Wood
    [link] [comments]

    Starting a movalist business... How physically strong do you need to be?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 05:07 PM PDT

    I'm not a huge guy but have been researching viability of starting a movalist business. I'm really excited by idea but do have concerns about being able to do the physical lifting... can any one share experience of how physically taxing this job is?

    submitted by /u/peckerbrain2
    [link] [comments]

    Is selling clothes on Poshmark/Mercari worth it? I had a teacher tell me he did it as a side hustle but I wonder if it’s rlly worth the time.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 04:49 PM PDT

    I’m bad at training but there are no other options for our small co. Not sure what to do or how to handle

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 10:43 AM PDT

    I'm an employee for a very small business. We are growing and need to start bringing on another person. I have trained 3 people and they all failed. I truly think all 3 had their issues and weren't the right fit BUT I also know I am not good at managing and training others. I get easily frustrated and have really high expectations that probably aren't realistic - I'm also super busy w my actual job and training takes up a lot of time and energy which makes me impatient.

    I don't want to let me boss down but we are about to fire our 3rd consecutive person and I think I'm a part of the problem. There's no one else to train these people but I think I just lack the soft skills required to be a good educator. We've tried hiring entry level, intermediate, AND someone w relevant experience but I was still unable to get them to grasp how our company operates, retain information, and become more efficient.

    What can I do to A- get better at training/managing (even though it's genuinely not something I want) or B - explain this to my boss so that we don't continue to burn through new hires due to me.

    Thank you for reading

    submitted by /u/jaredkushnerswife
    [link] [comments]

    Chargeback and Fraud

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 02:34 PM PDT

    I posted this first in e-commerce but I'm thinking maybe this may be a better forum?

    I have an e-commerce store. We just received notice today of a customer chargeback in the tune of just under $1000. The initial transaction was initiated via facebook. We literally have ALL of the guys information that did it. Where he works, what he does, etcetera...Even crazier - he is a "public figure". Anyhow, we contacted him,..he is still saying its not fraud, but obviously the person who's credit card was used thinks otherwise. Anyways...we have given ample time to decide to return the items, pay us back, etcetera. No ball. Says he'll call us back on Tuesday. We aren't planning on waiting till Tuesday to take the next step with this....But, who do I report this to? I see that the FBI handles internet fraud. But I also see perhaps local police departments do as well. How do I get started with this. I'm not letting this one slide. Thanks for all your help!

    submitted by /u/seekinginfo2019
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best way to source new hires? [for free!]

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 06:11 PM PDT

    I'm looking for someone to help with marketing and content writing. But, I can't seem to find anyone in my timezone to help. LOL! I'm looking for someone to take equity in a new project, https://swoopshift.com which makes it really hard because of course, no one is willing to work for peanuts. But I also think that my reach is just too narrow. Does anyone know a larger pool of people I can tap into for free... or cheap?

    submitted by /u/topherjamesknoll
    [link] [comments]

    Expanding my printing business

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 01:11 PM PDT

    Backstory about my shop. est. 2016, I have a part-time job on the side, and I go to school full time.

    I run a small printing shop on Etsy. Right now, I'm only offering return address labels, and in the future i'm going to put up my first listing for letterpress notecards. The reason why I do return address labels, is because they are quick and easy. I get their information, go into PS and copy and paste, then print.

    Things are finally starting to take off in my shop. Recently hit the 300 sales mark after 2 years. I'm looking to expand my presence and business, but i'm in a rut on creative ideas. I want to offer different printing services, but I lack motivation and ideas to create.

    Is there something you'd like to see in a printing shop that you've never seen before?

    Thanks for any help and ideas.

    submitted by /u/Evrest
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment