• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 10, 2019

    I got canned for performance. What should I tell recruiters? Sales and Selling

    I got canned for performance. What should I tell recruiters? Sales and Selling


    I got canned for performance. What should I tell recruiters?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 06:36 AM PDT

    My initial instinct is to take ownership of my mistake. "My number wasn't where it should've been, I could have and should have done better. Based on previous performance I know that o can thrive and do well"

    Is that too honest? Should I try and finesse it a bit more?

    submitted by /u/The_Shwassassin
    [link] [comments]

    I'm absolutely miserable at my new role and my capital is running dry. I feel I've made a horrible mistake and don't know what to do. *Rant*

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 10:26 AM PDT

    Effectively I left a great and well-paying job to go work at what I thought was a golden opportunity. Old job has a policy where employees can't reapply for 12 months once they resign. New job has all these amazing reviews on indeed from employees. Customers give rave reviews on Google and Facebook. Everyone who's successful here talks about wonderful the culture is and how much money they're making. Big fancy office building, everyone 'looks' like they have money. I did my research, asked many questions, observed the sales processed the company had. Everything appeared to check out.

    But I'm deathly struggling.

    I feel the recruiter largely fluffed up the position where he made it seem like I was going to be making all this money and if you can't make 80K a year, you're terrible (it's 100% commission for the record). Told me how average earners were pulling in 6 figures easy. Owner of the company hands out money like it's candy. Facebook videos showed such a dynamic energy in the culture. But I get here and after just under a month, I feel I've made a huge mistake. I can barely sign up any new clients. The ones I do sign up, don't have the money to pay upfront and so it delays how quickly I'll get paid and worse yet, the payments stretch out for months, so it'll take months before I start collecting anything meaningful.

    In the job description it was explained that I wouldn't have to do any outside selling that all leads are provided by the company. Thing is about that however, that definitely WASN'T explained in the interview, was that the closing percentage on the leads I get is a meager 5% on average from 85 calls. And many of those leads are poorly qualified and require repeat dials just to get on the phone with. I'll get a lot of hang ups. Lots of people who never pick up the phone. Many who don't trust a dude on the phone. And worst yet, the ones who just ghost you when they are needed to sign. In my mind I thought it was just a numbers game, that I could just bang out the dialer and call call call and it'd be easy. But I'm failing so badly. My ego is wrecked. I'm so miserable.

    The company has tried to lift me up and help me. Veteran reps giving me pointers. Leadership helping me try to close. I read Never Split the Difference, Fanatical Prospecting, How to Win Friends and Influence People. Nothing seems to be working. But I just feel like I'm total garbage. I'm told over and over that my presentation and tone sound great, so why is it I'm not getting any deals? It's absolutely demoralizing when another trainee who was in my same class completely blowing me out of the water.

    I'm calling above their quotas. I try to sound as enthusiastic on the phone as I can. I follow the script they want us to use to the letter. I use LinkedIn and Facebook religiously and have tried to network every day I can, got a professional photo used for my profile. Worse yet though, I announced publicly that I was working for this company. But I'm just so awful at this job. It's humiliating being on the bottom of the board and not even acknowledged by the owner, who I get the feeling thinks I'm just a loser. I got mercy leads from him the other day and got shamed because I'm not following the script properly and using the wrong words and not inputting the information needed for some of the leads.

    At my last position I was a fucking rockstar. Smashed company records and had an amazing income and loved what I did. But I feel so fucking defeated and stupid here. So foolish for publicly announcing my victory so soon to my friends and family. Worse yet though is I have maybe 1 month of capital left before I'm completely broke. I don't know what to do. I'm just so depressed right now.

    submitted by /u/Bodacious_Dad_Bod
    [link] [comments]

    Do you want to hang up?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 06:05 PM PDT

    Love this sub. Just wanted to share a funny experience I just had. I've been following up with a prospect for some time. Every time we talk he seems very interested. With pretty futile attempts at reaching him, when I call him to follow up (at dates we had previously agreed upon).

    I've left him quite a few mixed media messages with no reply, and just keep calling every couple weeks.

    Today I'm working late and I call him (again) expecting a voicemail and he picks up.

    Me: Hey Prospect, this is ExtraneousQuestion with XYZ!

    Him: Oh hey!

    Me: (cheeky) do you want to hang up now?

    Him: (crickets)

    Me: (silence is killing me... the one time I try to make a joke, damn it)

    Him: (erupts in laughter) no I don't want to hang up - and I haven't been avoiding you. Im still interested but I've been really busy and am sorry I haven't called you back. I'm out with a friend right now can we talk tomorrow at 4:30?

    That silence was so deafening. I just thought I'd share that experience. It was also a reminder for me that until they say no (if the juice is worth the squeeze) you shouldn't assume "no" on their behalf. Sometimes in my mind I will make excuses for them, on why they are not calling back, and those assumptions can be totally false.

    submitted by /u/ExtraneousQuestion
    [link] [comments]

    Door to door salesman in need of new shoes

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 06:42 AM PDT

    Hey all! So I do pharmaceutical sales in NYC and it's a role that involves a lot of walking from office to office on a daily basis. We have a formal (suit and tie) dress code so dress shoes are included. However, I refuse to wear leather soles since they'll be worn out in a month, and so I'm coming to you looking for recommendations. I currently wear a pair of Cole Haans (https://www.josbank.com/cole-haan-zerogrand-wingtip-lace-up) that I love but they're now pretty worn out from about 6 months of wearing and I wanted to see if any other people out there had suggestions. Anything helps - just want to hear what works for you! Thanks

    submitted by /u/jameoflames
    [link] [comments]

    Looking to move out of Agency Recruitment into SaaS (NYC)

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 09:06 AM PDT

    I've been doing agency recruiment for 2 years now and love the client interaction and Business Development aspect, but not so much the candidate side

    Does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions on things like my resume or possible paths I can take

    What are so general comp ranges to expect?

    submitted by /u/Axle95
    [link] [comments]

    Agency I work at plans to start with cold calls

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 09:03 AM PDT

    The agency I work at plans to implement cold calling. Truth be told, I was far happier having meetings with inbound leads and I am far from looking forward to doing cold calls.

    My question here is whether cold calling is still something worth doing? I really doubt the efficiency of cold calls and I personally think it's a waste of time.

    submitted by /u/samozez
    [link] [comments]

    Competitor is lying about my product - need advice

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 08:15 AM PDT

    Hey everyone, I work in a smallish town with a few direct competitors. One of them has a lot of experience and can speak about our industry with a lot of authority, and unfortunately he's straight up lies to customers that I'm also pitching too. He makes stuff up about my particular brand of product, to discredit it and by extension my company.

    I've heard little bits and pieces of what he says and it is straight up fiction. But I often don't get a chance to refute that with customers since many times they choose to work with him before I get another chance to speak to them.

    If anyone has any suggestions for dealing with this, I would love to hear about it. If you'd like more details also just let me know.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/8ad8andit
    [link] [comments]

    My earning is capped in my industry (HVAC) what other industries are out where I can increase earnings substantially?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 10:00 AM PDT

    I am a residential sales consultant in the HVAC field. Leads are sourced for me through company advertising, and sometimes I get tech turn leads which have a much higher probability of closing.

    I am 100% commission based, and it's been that way for 10 years. The company I am with right now is paying me 10% of everything I sell, which is one of the best in the industry.

    This allows me to earn anywhere from 90-150 a year. There are others out there who I consider the top 5% in country that make 250 or more. There are a lot of variables that need to be involved for me to be in a perfect storm like that.

    Most of my sales are in home at the kitchen table with the customer. I do not have to source my own leads and the thought of that is a little scary, to be honest. I don't know how some of you manage to fill your own pipeline.

    If there is anything I left out feel free to ask me any questions you'd like.

    submitted by /u/TheChopNorris
    [link] [comments]

    2 Directions within Sales Program

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 11:37 AM PDT

    Any thoughts much appreciated:

    Option to go in 2 directions in my sales program:

    option 1: high $ potential but longer term relationship type sales, sit amongst other sr. members of the role to help learn, need to prospect leads, lenient quota, team commission structured

    option 2: inheriting quality legacy accounts, way stricter quota, work essentially remotely which means limited exposure day to day to other older members of the role, quicker outlook landing deals, inbound leads, individually commission based

    submitted by /u/Friar92
    [link] [comments]

    What are some of the longer sales cycles out there?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 05:34 AM PDT

    My industry, permanent placement recruitment for nurse leadership, seems to be around 6 months (with exceptions, obviously). This seems like a long time to me, but I am curious what other sales professionals experience?

    submitted by /u/UbiquitousFreckles
    [link] [comments]

    Coldcalling phonecalls, What's been working for you?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 11:21 AM PDT

    I work in the auto industry and do lots of coldcalling to build business (the only one who does I think)

    Recently my opening line on phonecalls has been fairly effective, I call current owners and try to get them to trade in early in their finance/lease cycle

    Hey (Customer) this is (MY NAME) at (DEALERSHIP), how is your (Day of week) going so far?

    [what ever they respond]

    "Hey, im just glad i am not out in that crazy (Heat or rain or anything) right now, its bad out there"

    (They chuckle and laugh then I am in!)

    Sometimes I try one last little joke here or move directly into my sales pitch depending on how receptive they were

    "Well, I hope I don't ruin the rest of your day, this is a sales call, do you want to hang up yet?"

    (If I get another laugh its over and may as well be buying now)

    The actual pitch doesn't matter its just another pitch.

    What has been working or not working for everyone else lately, or any thoughts on my opening?

    submitted by /u/KarateDingo
    [link] [comments]

    Is more travel for more money worth it?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 11:16 AM PDT

    Hey! So I work in enterprise cyber security software sales. Currently work for one of the biggest pure security manufacturers out there and cover 2 states in the southeast. My comp package is $225k OTE ($125k base/$100k commission).

    I'm getting an offer tomorrow to work for a start up security company that has already received Series A and has landed some very reputable customers. My offer is going to be $300k OTE ($150k base/$150k commission), but I'll be covering basically Virginia over to Arkansas and everything south. I won't necessarily have to travel all the time, but definitely more than I am now. I've also got a 4 year old and a 3 month old. Family is a big deal to me. I'm currently in a hotel maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks. This new job could be hotels 2 or 3 days a week for 2 or 3 weeks per month.

    Anybody been in this situation that could offer some hindsight advice?

    submitted by /u/WDE45
    [link] [comments]

    Finding needs without customer?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 11:16 AM PDT

    Hi everyone!

    I'm currently in the process of interviewing with a tech company for an inside sales role and am needing to create a sales pitch video in order to send them. Now I got a sales certificate while in college so I'm fairly familiar with the sales process however we only learned how to find needs through questioning. For this sales pitch assessment, I'm having to find the needs of the buyer without being able to ask questions and getting an answer. I feel like I should have been taught this but I am just lost on where to even begin with the process. Any help or tips would be appreciated.

    Edit: I'm having to sell a food product

    submitted by /u/ThisWillBeUpvoted
    [link] [comments]

    Company is completely hands-off with my training (long)

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 11:12 AM PDT

    I work for an IT Asset Management company...that is, when schools, companies and hospitals are done with their laptops, desktops, servers and tablets we buy them and refurbish and re-market the gear. I worked in the warehouse for about a year and a half before being offered a sales position by the owner of the company because of how sharp I was at work and to give me the opportunity to make more than warehouse wages. I've known him for years as a friend of my parents, so I was grateful he was giving me a chance to change my life.

    So I get into sales and I'm on salary for 6 months to get on my feet and then I'm straight commission. I get commission on buying the gear and on selling it. I can not compete with the kinds of prices the other salesmen in the company are getting for selling gear because they have been doing it for 10-20 years and they have customers that pay way more than anyone that I can find so far. So my best bet for making money is to find new gear and collect the commission from that.

    I'm not given any training, other than a desk, computer and an internet connection (using my own cell phone) and being told to "make those calls." The owner got his start in the 80's and 90's when cold calling businesses most likely had a much higher success rate without caller ID or company voicemail being used as the gatekeeper. He is old school and hardcore on making cold calls. He says I should buy a sales training course and I should go home every night, do my research and find exactly who I need to call, what their company does and figure out how we fit for them. I need to be making at least 50 calls a day...do you know how much research that is to do every night??

    The company does not have any promotional material for me to send out. I am told that I should download Microsoft Word or Photoshop and design my own flyers and emails to send out to businesses. We don't have a CRM, so I'm using my email and Excel spreadsheets to try to keep track of my calls. Until a month ago, our website looked like it was made by a 3rd grader in 1994 ( I was embarrassed to refer customers to it). There is no sales manager to take me under their wing and show me the ropes. The owner is gone most of the time doing other things, though he always says "if you need anything, don't hesitate to contact me." I've been at this for 4 months and I'm floundering, I'm unfocused and discouraged.

    Nobody is making any real money here except for about 4 guys at the top, including the owner. They're all making loads of money, but they all got their start at other companies and they've been doing it for 20+ years...they took all of their industry connections and brought them to the company. They don't come into the office, they just use the company as a big pool of money to buy and sell however they want from their homes. Nobody that has started their career in sales at my company is making more than 60k. The owner says it's because they haven't tried hard enough and that they're content with coming in and dilly dallying all day.

    I used to think we were an awesome company and the owner always talks the place up, but the more time I spend in sales the more I see how many thousands of other companies there are that do what we do and how tough it is to set myself apart from the competition. Companies that are much more organized and professional. The owner really is a good guy and he definitely wants me to succeed, but he wants me to pull myself up by the bootstraps and figure everything out on my own with dogged determination. Couldn't I just open my own business if I had to do all that from scratch?

    Also, there is no one else in sales with me at this office...it's just me in a room on a computer all day. I can't afford $80 a month for LinkedIn and nobody that I call wants to hear it, even if I can get a hold of someone. I'm most likely going to tell the boss I would like my old warehouse position back tomorrow. I hate being looked at as though "I'm not working hard enough" and that "I'm wasting this opportunity." Maybe I'm not working hard enough but it's probably because I'm super down on everything and my heart isn't in it.

    If I quit, then everyone here will say it was because I didn't work hard enough, I was lazy and I didn't want it badly enough. But I guess I'm just going to quit anyway.

    submitted by /u/Legionnaire1856
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone willing to go over a comp plan and tell me if it should be changed at all? SDR position

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 10:27 AM PDT

    PM me and I'd really appreciate your time!

    submitted by /u/CA-ClosetApostate
    [link] [comments]

    Next move?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 10:01 AM PDT

    Hi all - seeking advice on a potential career move I'll be making hopefully within the next six months. Quick background:

    I've been employed with the same F100 since I completed undergrad and my three years have been as follows:

    Y1: SDR 119% attainment

    Y2: Promoted to AM and hit $434k on an $880k number. I know the attainment was shitty, but I was a top 3 bookings producer and have an explanation for my attainment v. the outrageous number

    Y3: Moved into Strategic accounts and hit $1.44mn against a $835k number, so around 174% attainment

    I'm now staring year 4 and beginning to think my next move will be out for a few reasons:

    -Change in comp plans that has seriously hamstrung my earning potential from last year

    -Suffocating size that hampers ability to work and career growth (I'd have to be here another 5-7 years to begin hoping for a management role)

    -COMP - I haven't been given even an inflationary raise in 3 years and I'm now working amongst people with $20k more ($40k OTE) than me, simply because they're outside hires. I've mentioned this to management in an attempt to frame the conversation around my comp but it falls on deaf ears.

    -Culture.

    I've sold SaaS for my entire (short) career and would like to stay in tech. My thoughts are a jump to a well funded pre-IPO firm would best. Any and all input is welcome. Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/anaveraged00d
    [link] [comments]

    2 hour long selection talk in a foreign language including having to '' sell a personal item ''

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 09:43 AM PDT

    Dunno if this is the right sub for this, but ima give it a shot!

    I have a job interview next week for a luxery store on an airport and one of the requirements is that I have to try and sell a ( personal ) item to a group as quickly as possible a.k.a just kinda convince them like I was an actual salesman to buy my product. I have barely any sales experience at all, so I was wondering if this is something familiar that companies use more often when they want a certain impression from new staff. Wether it is or isn't though, do any of you possibly have any advice or tricks, or knowledge about what people want to hear and/or achieve with assignments like these and on what I should definitely do ( and avoid ) to succeed?

    Much obliged in advance and if this ain't the right place for it, lemme know

    submitted by /u/Vadsig_Plukje
    [link] [comments]

    Paychex phone interview

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 09:43 AM PDT

    Hi guys, I have a phone interview with Paychex on Friday for a sales position. Had the screening interview the other day and I'm moving on to the next step. I'll be speaking with a district manager. I'm wondering if anyone has gone through this before and has any tips and what questions I should be asking and how to best prepare for this and how to move on to the next step. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/avbeau1992
    [link] [comments]

    SMB AE Questions

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 09:25 AM PDT

    Hi Guys,

    I'm starting a new role soon selling payroll and scheduling software to home care facilities. First couple months I'm mostly going to be setting up meetings with the current AE, and then run my own deals after I'm trained up. I'm going to be doing everything from prospect to close.

    My comp right now seems fair I think. Base is 55k with a flat commission of $700 per sale ($200 for the first 2 discussions/demo and then $500 if they buy). I'm curious how competitive that is and wondering what a realistic OTE would look like.

    It's a short sales cycle and is priced as a % of their current payroll, so it shouldn't be too difficult. Assuming I bust my ass I'm hoping to close 5-10/month once I'm ramped up.

    For those of you selling into smb, what is your comp structure and sales process like? How many sales a month?

    Thanks everyone.

    submitted by /u/tengleha01
    [link] [comments]

    Billboard Market Ride Route

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 09:23 AM PDT

    Hey guys! I'm hoping someone can give me some input. I have a market ride with a client to drive together to view 16 billboards and for some reason I'm having a brain fart on the best route to take. For some reason we don't have a program that allows you to have a starting point to map the route so that you're able to see them as driving by along the route. Does anyone know of an app that I can use or a website that I could put all the locations into so that I'm not having to do a million U turns and constantly updating my GPS while driving?

    submitted by /u/madameovaries85
    [link] [comments]

    Objection of the day: "I'm not ready yet"

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 01:40 PM PDT

    This is an objection I've gotten like 3 times today and I haven't been able to beat it yet. For reference, I sell a solution that is more suited for multiple users, 3+, but a single user under the right circumstances could make use of this without a double. So it sometimes is a really valid objection, maybe they're in the process of hiring more employees and then our solution really starts to pay off big time for them. This makes sense and we totally want to accomodate that timeline. I get paid based on users at signup, so fuck yes do I want to accomodate that! In none of my instances today was this the case though.

    Reachout and discovery done, this is the decision maker, this is a good candidate, in all cases they approached us looking for our solution.

    Me: I've got a free trial here for you to start using the software and try things out to make sure this is the best solution for your business.

    Customer: We're not ready for that yet.

    Me: I understand that with certain things the timing may not always be right or there are certain metrics you're looking to hit before moving forward. In your mind, what would tell you that 'you're ready' to start using a better solution for your business?

    Customer: I'm sorry?

    Me: You're saying that right now, you're not ready, right?

    Customer: Yes.

    Me: What milestone or what would signify that 'you are ready' to start using a solution that is proven to work better, cost less and raise revenue for your business?

    Customer: click

    How do you guys handle this objection?

    submitted by /u/ghostoutlaw
    [link] [comments]

    What is a meetings/demo worth to you?

    Posted: 09 Jul 2019 10:43 PM PDT

    Curious to see what meetings/warm leads/transfer/demos are worth to the r/sales community. (SQL)

    BDR/SDR -- What is the demo/meeting worth in terms of comp? (Does it need to convert to SQO?)
    Sales leaders -- What is a meeting/demo worth to the company?

    Please also add the contract value for reference. ACV $15,000 might have a meeting worth $150 vs $1500/$15 etc.

    submitted by /u/WiseMarketMaker
    [link] [comments]

    Pants for hot weather sales?

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 07:22 AM PDT

    I work in a real estate office. I currently wear blue jeans and a polo most days to the office. I'm in Austin TX which is a pretty casual city. In the summer, it's 90-100 degrees daily with humidity out the ass. I don't want to wear shorts, but I'm sweltering in jeans when I tour properties. What do other sales people in my position recommend? Slacks seems like it would be a little TOO formal, shorts are TOO casual. Is there a middle ground?

    submitted by /u/Gutierrezjm6
    [link] [comments]

    Not Sure What Jobs I Qualify For

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 07:08 AM PDT

    Hey Sales people!

    I love the advice and questions on this subreddit and was hoping to get some guidance for my current situation.

    I have about 5 years sales experience (mix of B2C and B2B) and was a sysadmin/BA (Salesforce) for about 3 years. My last job ended abruptly on good terms, but has left me in a pickle financially. I know I can find a sales job rather quickly and really need the income right now. However, I am not sure where I should be gunning. I live in NC and I prefer the B2B model with sharing proposals and managing long term relationships.

    I am trying to avoid the direct marketing, in-store, and D2D sales. I have seen these jobs (and worked in them) and while I had success, but would like to find a more office based sales position understanding travel is necessary for just about any sales job. I'm also aware I can't be too picky considering I need income now. Ideally, I would have a position more in Sales Operations but I need to make rent (1300) next month so this would likely be a stand-in job until I find the one I want or offers the chance to move into that type of position.

    That being said, what advice to you have for my options? Should I go BDR and just smash the phones? Should I gun for an AE role? Is B2B going to take too long to solve my urgent income needs?

    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Voxmanns
    [link] [comments]

    Account Management Advice

    Posted: 10 Jul 2019 06:46 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    Recently moved into an Account Management role and received a number of accounts that recently changed over from previous sales execs as well. I'm looking for ways to improve my "farming" abilities and revisit some existing accounts that may have gone cold. We have a fairly long sales cycle if that makes a difference, 6 - 12 months. Any advice is appreciated, recently picked up SPIN selling to look over as well.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/O_Hy_Mark
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment