• Breaking News

    Tuesday, July 2, 2019

    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here. Investing

    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here. Investing


    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 05:22 AM PDT

    If your question is "I have $10,000, what do I do?" or other "advice for my personal situation" questions. If you are going to ask how to invest you should include relevant information, such as the following:

    • How old are you?
    • Are you employed/making income? How much?
    • What are your objectives with this money? (buy a house? Retirement savings?)
    • What is your risk tolerance? (Do you mind risking it at blackjack or do you need to know its 100% safe?)
    • What are you current holdings? (Do you already have exposure to specific funds and sectors?)
    • Any other assets? House paid off? Cars? Expensive significant other?
    • What is your time horizon? Do you need this money next month? Next 20yrs?
    • Any big debts?
    • Any other relevant financial information will be useful to give you a proper answer.

    Please consider consulting our FAQ first - https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/wiki/faq

    Be aware that these answers are just opinions of Redditors and should be used as a starting point for your research. You should strongly consider seeing a registered financial rep before making any financial decisions!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Netflix is reportedly getting more disciplined about big-budget projects

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 09:45 AM PDT

    Netflix content chief Ted Sarandos told film and TV executives big budget projects must be more cost-effective, The Information reported.

    Netflix is notorious for its massive content spend, but it has said it expects cash burn to peak in 2019.

    The reported messaging marks a shift in Netflix's strategy, which has previously justified lower viewership numbers for some content with buzz and credibility.

    More https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/01/netflix-reportedly-getting-serious-about-viewership-for-big-projects.html

    In the first quarter, Netflix had $4.5 billion in revenue, $344 million in profits and 6.96 billion in debt.

    submitted by /u/markyu007
    [link] [comments]

    The S&P 500 reached an all-time high of 2,977.86.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 01:03 PM PDT

    US proposes $4 billion in potential additional tariffs over EU aircraft subsidies

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 09:07 PM PDT

    My country is taking 30% of any profit or makes me invest in front-loaded actively managed mutual funds. What do I invest in now?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 01:45 AM PDT

    See bottom for a tldr.

    So I live in Belgium and as a freelance software developer I want to invest with money from my company. I will not dive to deep into the personal tax situation in my country but simply put: any money I take out of my company to pay myself gets taxed close to 50% (depending on the amount).Since I can pay a bunch of things with funds from my company(house, travel, restaurants, clothes, car,...) it's a lot more efficient to leave the money inside my corporation.

    So I read some books on how to grow that money and decided that something in the style of Ray Dalios all weather portfolio with global market index funds is probably the best way to go.I did some research and apparently my gov changed some rules that made it impossible for me to invest in stocks with corporate money. Here are the rules:

    - There is a 30% corporate tax on any profits. Since early 2018, this also applies to gains from the stock market. Any losses are not deductible.

    There a few exceptions:

    - Investments over 2.5m are taxfree (well, 0.74% in stead of 30%)

    - Buying 10% or more of a company is also basically tax free

    (spicy detail, these rules were reverse until early 2018 but fuck small business it seems)

    - Investments in a so called DBI-bevek fund is also free from the above tax.

    So obviously I did some research in the various DBI funds that Belgian banks offer. Results for 3 of the biggest banks :

    - KBC is the biggest bank, they have 3% frontload and 1.83% yearly fees

    - Belfius is second biggest. The links to their funds are dead

    - Finally Crelan, they have 2.5% front load and 1.6% yearly

    So basically I can choose, either I pay 30% yearly tax on profits without deducting losses or I pay heavy front load with heavy yearly actively managed fees.

    So my question is, what do I now?

    Do I start a holding company abroad and move my money there. This comes pretty close to tax evasion probably.

    Do I take the pain and just pay the actively managed fees?

    Do I invest anyway and hope I can hold any index ETF until the law changes? Taxes are only due when I sell.

    Do I invest solely in real estate? With investments in real estate the profits are taxed equally heavily but at least the costs are deductible(even interest on a loan is considered a tax deductible cost).

    Is there another option?

    TLDR: Passive investing and individual stocks are basically not allowed in Belgium for small business owners. Do I take the pain of actively managed funds or are there alternatives?

    submitted by /u/darkowa
    [link] [comments]

    Why emerging countries ETFs and funds perform so bad?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 02:57 AM PDT

    Some emerging countries have crazy growths. Why do the funds and ETF's perform so bad?

    Examples:

    Chile

    Vietnam

    Indonesia

    submitted by /u/throwaway388292828
    [link] [comments]

    Majority of Wall Street pros say stocks will accelerate gains in the second half, US still best place to be: CNBC survey

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 10:18 AM PDT

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/01/wall-street-pros-say-stocks-will-accelerate-gains-in-the-second-half.html

    A majority of Wall Street pros said their overall market view remains optimistic, and more than 65% said they believe equities are correctly valued, according to CNBC's "Halftime Report Stock Survey."

    More than half of respondents believe the Federal Reserve should cut interest rates at its next meeting at the end of this month.

    Half of respondents say they expect Q2 earnings to top expectations, and 65% believe the United States is still the best place to invest.

    Tech, financials, and health care were top sector picks.

    submitted by /u/coolcomfort123
    [link] [comments]

    Fiverr experience

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 04:12 AM PDT

    is.gd/vBOOFI

    submitted by /u/Psalmzie
    [link] [comments]

    Can you hedge bonds default risk using equity puts?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 04:05 AM PDT

    Would it be possible, and still profitable, to hedge the default risk of a bond with equity put options instead of cds? If not, why doesn't it work?

    submitted by /u/Grqstns
    [link] [comments]

    Your top 3 stocks

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 03:39 AM PDT

    Top 3 stocks for the next 3/4 years and why? Want to start a discussion, and discover new stocks.

    submitted by /u/Mizmail
    [link] [comments]

    Can you suggest a YouTube channel or playlist that explains investing long term perfectly?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2019 03:29 AM PDT

    I'm a 19 year old student from India. I've been trying to understand stock market and investing on a long term basis for past few days. But, I am unable to understand it completely.

    So, are there any Playlists or Channels that you can suggest me?

    submitted by /u/The_Sriharsha
    [link] [comments]

    Why is Vanguard trying to get me to convert my mutual funds to ETF?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 10:08 AM PDT

    I got an email from vanguard advertising this. And when you sign into the website, I also get that advertisement.

    I already know the the advantages and the difference between the mutual funds and ETFs. But what I don't understand is why Vanguard is pushing this so much.

    submitted by /u/huggybear123
    [link] [comments]

    5G home internet is poised to bring much faster internet to households in developing countries, as its much cheaper/faster to install towers vs. digging up streets to lay fiber optic lines to each building. What investing opportunities do you think this will result in?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 01:28 PM PDT

    Second quarter profits may be below expectation

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 06:34 PM PDT

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/01/companies-are-warning-that-earnings-results-are-going-to-be-brutal.html

    77% of 113 companies that have pre-announced for the second quarter indicate profits will be below expectation. Normally it's around 70%.

    submitted by /u/mateoverano
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on SciPlay (SCPL)?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 07:54 PM PDT

    I'm new to investing but I think I found an interesting stock called SCPL. It makes digital gambling games and it's financials look promising but it's stock remains low? Is there something that I'm missing as a newbie? I'd love to have the opinions of some veterans as while I'm fine with a risky stock I don't want to be just gambling either.

    submitted by /u/JParzivaI
    [link] [comments]

    SFTBF massive drop

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 12:28 PM PDT

    I've been long on SoftBank for several years now. It's been one of my set it and forget it stocks. After logging into my account, I saw it tanked last week on bad earnings. Does anyone have any insight into this? Would now be a good time to buy?

    submitted by /u/my_third_account
    [link] [comments]

    How do Market Orders work if there isn't enough cash

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 05:50 PM PDT

    Let's say you want to buy X shares of an ETF on Fidelity using the market order option, and you only have enough cash to purchase those X shares at the current trading price

    When the market opens, there's a possibility that the price surges, meaning you can no longer afford to purchase all X shares of the ETF

    Does Fidelity fulfill as many share purchases as possible at the constantly changing trading price until your available cash to trade is no longer enough to purchase another share? Or is the entire order canceled if the (trading price) multiplied by (X shares desired) always exceeds your available cash to trade for the duration of the trading day?

    And does the behavior vary from brokerage to brokerage?

    submitted by /u/nimble__nav
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on best countries / markets to buy real estate

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 03:49 PM PDT

    Criteria could include (but are not limited to): - potential capital appreciation - high rental yield - favorable taxation (either buying as a company or as an individual - favorable regulation (e.g. not impossible to do Airbnb for longer times, an owner friendly environment, etc.) - accessibility to credit (possibly very long term low fixed rates)

    submitted by /u/unreasonableinv
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for a money management entity

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 03:01 PM PDT

    I can't think of the name and it is really bothering me. I saw it on Reddit about a month ago. It was a firm that is completely exclusive, does not take any new clients, and charges exorbitant rates. If I recall, it hasn't taken new clients since the 90s or before. And I think their fees were like 20% or way higher of the portfolio.

    Anyone know what I'm talking about?

    submitted by /u/Aflycted
    [link] [comments]

    For long term investors, are margin loans a smart decision?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 11:04 AM PDT

    It seems to me that all long term investors should be borrowing money to invest. The turnoff is the massive downside risk but the longer you are in the market the lower the risk.

    All long term investors expect to have a net gain so why not double the amount you have invested through a margin loan? Am I missing something here?

    Edit I did some research and math and I think it absolutely a good idea so long as you can avoid a margin call. This is not very hard so long as you don't take out more than you can handle.

    The math on a 30 year investment using some leverage looks really good. If you borrowed 25k and paid a 10% interest on that loan over the course of 30 years you would end up paying 75,000k or 2,500 a year. Over the short term it may look tough to cover that interest, you'd need to match that 10% every year just to break even with added risk. However while your 10% interest is a flat rate on 25k your interest gained is compounding. Over the course of 30 years a 25k investment only yielding 5% a year would gain you 83k in interest vs the 75k you paid for the loan.

    Edit 2: maybe not a great idea because 1st didn't factor in opportunity cost the other way. If you took interest payment out of investment it destroys your returns. To get the numbers I did above you have to pay interest owed outside the account or reinvest the amount taken out due to interest. What I did not take into account is that if you can afford these fees, you can afford to invest that amount if you didn't borrow. My basic math would be on an investment calculator-

    Leveraged-

    50k, 30 years, 5%= $216,097-$25,000(amount borrowed)-$75000 (interest paid)= $116,097

    Original-

    25k, 30 years, 5%, $2500 yearly contribution (instead of paying interest yearly you invest this amount yearly)= $274,146

    If you could not pay $2500 yearly on fees without taking away from investment it would destroy your leveraged returns, if you could, missing out on the reinvestment is the opportunity cost.

    submitted by /u/csdspartans7
    [link] [comments]

    What does the language in this 8-K mean?

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 02:15 PM PDT

    Link is here. I really don't understand any of the language presented under Item 7.01.

    If anyone with more insight into SEC filings could decode this for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

    Side note:

    This is the fourth/fifth document from ADT in 2013 with similar language about "notes" and "offerings".

    submitted by /u/explain_like_im_nine
    [link] [comments]

    VAFAX

    Posted: 01 Jul 2019 09:54 AM PDT

    Recently stumbled on VAFAX. I like the fund what are your opinions?

    submitted by /u/Financeguy94
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment