• Breaking News

    Monday, July 8, 2019

    Accounting Still Alive

    Accounting Still Alive


    Still Alive

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 10:06 AM PDT

    Posted in here a couple of weeks ago about a brush with suicide. It got worse and I tried and failed taking my life. Spent a few weeks in the hospital and luckily my job took me back, so back in the cubes today. Not really any happier but not studying for the exams as of now so the suicidal thoughts are at least gone. Don't know what I'm doing to do with my life but was touched by the amount of people on here who reached out last time, and felt I owed it to post that I'm alive.

    submitted by /u/YonderFromRancho
    [link] [comments]

    Because I am tired.

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 04:50 PM PDT

    Resignation is in, and I’m free bois. Headed for that industry life.

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 08:23 PM PDT

    It's official. I'm out of public and moving to industry and I couldn't be more fucking pumped to start this new role. Up until this last year I thought I would be in public until manager at the very least, but holy shit this busy season was so bad I decided to accelerate my exit strategy. Turns out I wasn't the only one feeling this way as I'm the 8th senior to give notice, out of ~20 seniors in the past 2 months. I will say I wouldn't change my career path starting out in public for anything, but I am so glad to get away from the constant 24/7 fire drills that surround audit and the people that are martyrs for their hours worked, like I don't give a shit if you worked 80 hours last week. Am I supposed to feel bad for you or feel bad about myself? It's June/July, that shit is absurd.

    But I digress. Here's my advice to those of you about to start out in public or are first/second year staffs. Show up, be eager to learn, build your client relationships, be social, and please don't take yourself so seriously. At the end of the day this is audit. Nobody's life is on the line, we aren't making the world a better place, we aren't out curing disease or ending world hunger, so just chill out. Take care of yourself and your personal relationships outside of work. At the end of the day, it's people outside of work that truly care about you so make sure those people are a priority to you as well.

    I truly did enjoy my time in public up until this last busy season, but I'm off to greener (hopefully) pastures. I'm leaving after finishing my second year as a senior (I'm 27) for a senior role at a fortune 50 company for a 20% base salary increase, 15% annual bonus, additional 2% 401k match over what I currently receive, and a 6% annual contribution to a pension plan. Overall benefits are better, oh and I get to work 9/80s. I know the rigidity of having to be in the office and some of the monotonous tasks may bore me, but I'm looking forward boring for a bit and being able to spend more time with my wife and kids and actually spend time on my hobbies.

    submitted by /u/accountantanonymous
    [link] [comments]

    Message for everyone!

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 07:57 PM PDT

    PSA: If you want help with homework, SCAN IT SO WE CAN READ IT

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 09:11 PM PDT

    Hey r/accounting! I REALLY need your help with this question:

    *attaches sideways photo of dimly lit crumpled piece of paper*

    Help ME

    Help YOU

    </rant>

    submitted by /u/FigureYourselfOut
    [link] [comments]

    Opening a tax firm - currently sort of pidgeon-holed

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 08:00 PM PDT

    I'm currently a manager at a Big4 in Nyc in the individual tax compliance group. The majority of my work consists of individual tax returns, gift tax returns, grantor trust tax returns, and occasionally, private foundations and small partnership returns. Although 90% individual tax returns.

    I'm starting to realize I do not wan't to do the big4 grind forever... especially in Nyc. So I'd like to open a tax practice. Problem is, I don't have much entity or bookkeeping experience, so I think I'll need to do a year or two somewhere that allows me this exposure.

    Am I on the right track? I realize when I leave, my pay may take a hit. However, long term, seems to be the right path.

    submitted by /u/FutCPA1
    [link] [comments]

    Talk to me about your career in Tax Accounting?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 01:15 PM PDT

    From reading this reddit I'm starting to feel a little crazy for wanting a career in public tax accounting. Any tax accountants out there that will weigh in about your career progress/process/track? I just really like tax, and am thinking of heading in the direction of tax/estate planning.

    A little about me: I'm a mid-career switcher. Currently about halfway through my MAcc and starting to talk to recruiters. Because I'm not 20, I don't think Big 4 is for me (14hr days for the sake of progress no longer sounds appealing). Leaning more toward mid-market/regional firms (probably in NC or SC).

    Generally looking for more info on what a tax career looks like, and if there's anything major I'm missing in making this decision.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/facefullofkittens
    [link] [comments]

    The sample answers says the answer is B but I can't get it for the life of me, closest I get is 44,000. Can anyone help me out?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 05:25 AM PDT

    How should I really feel about my salary?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 09:00 PM PDT

    I currently feel really mixed about my salary and I would like to know if I should be happy with my salary or discouraged at my current salary.

    My last job was as a industry staff accountant, in a medium COL, for $16.50 per hour. With my one year raise it went up to $17.66. I worked that job for a year and 5 months before I interviewed for where I am currently at. My current position is as an industry staff accountant, in a high COL, for $58,000 which is right in line as to what the market says I should be paid for my education (BA state school, non CPA) and skills (1 year, 5 months experience out of the 2 preferred years). The biggest problem I have is from what HR told me about the job when I was interviewing for the position.

    During the phone interview HR asked me what my salary range was which I told them I cant tell them because I was using a recruiter and the recruiter would tell me how much the position would pay. HR insisted to know so I asked them what range they were thinking about paying someone for this position. HR told me that as a CPA they would pay between 65-70K and as a non CPA they would pay 60-65K. When HR told me this I thought that was a great pay range so I definitely agreed to continue interviewing. Fast forward my recruiter called and told me I got the job and the starting pay was... $55,000... I told my recruiter no way that is to low and that HR told me 60K was the min so I want to get paid 60K. My recruiter called me back and told me the new offer was for 58K and if I passed my CPA exams I would get paid 62K. I was then told by my recruiter that this was my final offer and if I did not take the offer they would look for other candidates. I also had another job lined up as an industry staff accountant for 55K, but had about half as many duties as the position I interviewed for.

    I am glad to have the salary I have because 58K is market rate for me and is a hell of a lot better then 17 dollars an hour but I cant stop the feeling I was snubbed or lied to by either HR or my recruiter. I feel like HR knew they would never pay me $60,000+ so they went as low as they could and then gave me an "incentive" to get my CPA exams done or my recruiter was poor at negotiations and potentially lied to me about my final offer. I should also mention that the position is contract with no overtime or differential pay.

    Should I feel good about finally reaching market rate for my skills or snubbed because I did not even get paid anywhere near the starting salary range for the job.

    submitted by /u/bjorn_bjorn
    [link] [comments]

    Combining Wiley with Becker (Or something else) ??

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 08:37 PM PDT

    Would it be too much if I combined Wiley with Becker? I currently have Wiley and thought about purchasing Becker or a different course. I already paid for Wiley total costs was about 1800 for the Platinum Package and it is unlimited. If i do this, I will be purchasing Becker out of pocket as well. I know most people try to limit the money they spent on this process but I would like to equip myself and make sure I pass. I also thought about purchasing a different one other than Becker but I'm not too sure.

    submitted by /u/DrLifeCrDeath
    [link] [comments]

    I have never seen someone regret leaving public

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 11:05 AM PDT

    Thoughts on this talked to some people who left as early as 6 months and there not a shred of regret from what I've seen.

    submitted by /u/SeriousIntern
    [link] [comments]

    Career Advice?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 03:57 PM PDT

    I'm 30. I lost my job in March (restructuring). I was a financial analyst at a big fortune 500 company. I was making six figures. I'm fine on money for quite some time in terms of supporting myself.

    From there I kicked around a lot of ideas. The one I liked was forensic accountant. To get this job I'd need a CPA, about a year of audit experience, and a CFE. I decided to study for the CPA full time, and I passed FAR. I am now studying for AUD. I had planned to take it in about a month. My big fear regarding this plan is that I know auditors make about $50-$55k starting pay. I was kind of wondering if they'd even take me or think I was crazy or something. I'm sure they'd wonder why anyone would make the jump from private to public.

    Now on the other hand my dad just called. He's worked for the same company for 30+ years. They apparently need a new controller. I'd be the controller for a division of about 80 people. It sounds like I'd be going into a bad situation. Exiting controller sounds sketchy, and my dad tends to omit information when he wants me to do something. I'm not super excited about the idea of working at the same company as my dad. He's in sales, and I probably wouldn't see him much, but I'm not exactly thrilled about it.

    I'm also concerned that I'm not exactly cut out for a job like this yet. I've done business plans for pieces of a company, but it's typically a hyper focus on one area. It's never been a full company. I've also never done accounting, although I do feel like I've got the book knowledge. I majored in it. I took several accounting classes in my MBA and I passed FAR. It's also not a job with any upward potential. I'd either stay with this company or move out.

    submitted by /u/Lucky_Diver
    [link] [comments]

    Fell asleep at work today ngl it was pretty amazing. Hows ur day going?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 01:00 PM PDT

    How is profanity handle at your office?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 06:58 PM PDT

    For example, if someone was just having a normal conversation and cuss words happened to be sprinkled in.

    submitted by /u/Elementalbright
    [link] [comments]

    How hard is it to move to a different country for work?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 04:39 PM PDT

    I'm planning on applying for a permanent position in another country in about 2 years from now and would like to get some advice regarding the difficulty of the process. I'm planning on moving to the US or any other English-speaking country and I came from a very undeveloped Asian country. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

    Also I'm constantly building up my resume and accumulating fancy stuff in it. It's in my post history and would love to know what you guys think. :)

    submitted by /u/SydneyP39
    [link] [comments]

    Professional environment - Middle class background

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 04:26 PM PDT

    I am a foreigner and I come from a middle class family. I am also very shy.

    I have attended some group assessment centre for audit roles, some from big 4 too. All other candidates were English native people. I feel like people look me down due to my accent and confidence. They treat me as I am the strange one, in particular if I make any mistakes in English.

    How can I get the required confidence in the professional environment? Or pretend to be confident?

    submitted by /u/intuition2019
    [link] [comments]

    Is FAR Supposed to kick you in the teeth that hard?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 04:25 PM PDT

    Perhaps it's redundant, but I just got out of FAR and I've got to say: I've never had an exam kick me in the teeth that hard. I've taken AUD and REG and I honestly thought they were pretty simple (though I don't know if that was because I did that during my MACC.)

    FAR just seemed to be the only one that I really felt stumped on a few sections and I actually felt scared about not being able to finish. Has anyone else else had a problem with this? I noticed that FAR has some of the lowest passing rates, and I can see why. Still, is it likely to get out of that exam with a bad feeling to only see a passing grade in a month?

    submitted by /u/anakinvi
    [link] [comments]

    How much of a pay bump is worth leaving for at Staff I?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 03:56 PM PDT

    I'm in talks with a large company in my area for about a 30% pay bump. I like the idea of better work-life balance (hopefully) and the role sounds a little more interesting than a basic staff accountant job. I'm just wondering if this doesn't make sense financially. I am finishing my staff one year and I don't know if this would set me back in terms of pay in the long run.

    submitted by /u/Isalock
    [link] [comments]

    Am I still being considered for this job?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 05:38 PM PDT

    So, I interviewed for a position last tuesday. The HR lady said she'd get back to me either on Friday or Monday (today) and that I was one of 4 people left tha tthey were considered. She also mentioned that if they weren't able to reach a conclusion, they might hold another round of interviews with other senior members of the firm. I interviewed with the HR lady and the head of the area that I'd be working under. The interview with the former wasn't that great, but with the latter was a blast (probably the best so far that I've ever had) and I could tell she really liked me.
    I'm an anxious wreck so I e-mailed her this afternoon and she replied to me less than an hour later saying that they hadn't reached a conclusion yet. Tomorrow it's a holiday where I live so I suppose they won't have reached a conclusion by then either.
    Am I still being considered or is she just being polite to me? I hate this period of waiting to know whether I made it or not and would rather just "check the box" mentally than wait for a follow-up e-mail that might never come if they don't pick me.

    submitted by /u/ricknewgate
    [link] [comments]

    Accounting - Communication skills

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 10:49 AM PDT

    Hi All,

    I am an Accounting graduate. I achieved high grades at University. However, I have issues in expressing myself. I struggle to put my thoughts into words.

    I really want to get an accounting professional qualification. I understand that communication is vital in the business field.

    My written and reading skills are good. My application form and my CV are good, however, I fail when I reach the interview stage.

    What is the best way to improve my communication skills (spoken)?

    Help wanted! THANKS!

    submitted by /u/intuition2019
    [link] [comments]

    Advice on getting a new job

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 03:16 PM PDT

    Little background about me Graduated college form a SoCal school summer of 2018 have about 2 years of working in tax for public accounting firm. 1.5 years as an intern about 7months as full time at a different firm then where I interned. Have passed FAR and REG. Taking AUD on Friday and then I have to retake BEC (only one I failed).

    I enjoy tax but I don't enjoy the firm I work at and been trying to transition out to a different firm. Have a few questions

    How did you find a new job? Recruiters? Apply Online job posts? (Feel like I have such little experience that I can't transition out but I've see people do it)

    How do you deal with recruiters call and interview ? Do you just take a 30 minute break I order to take the call? For interviews do you ask for the day and tell your employer where your going?

    Do you have a good articles on interview tips and how to prepare for them? Or how did you prepare for your interviews?

    Maybe tell me you find a job and transitioned out and any advice

    submitted by /u/barriaga137
    [link] [comments]

    Is your CPA useful in other countries?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 04:58 PM PDT

    I have dual citizenship and I want to work in the UK (my second citizenship) after I graduate and get my CPA in the USA. Would I be able to work with a CPA or would I have to sit for their test? Thank you so much!

    submitted by /u/TdesFignpodluvS
    [link] [comments]

    Odds of getting a job in NYC?

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 02:46 PM PDT

    Some information about me:

    -I've recruited before for internships and have had follow up interviews with two B4 firms that I had to cancel when I decided to go with a midsize for my internship but kept good relations with

    -I worked a busy season tax internship in the SE at a large SE Midsized firm

    -I have a 3.7 gpa

    - I am recruiting again because I am looking to switch to audit and move to NYC.

    -I am looking to move because my family lives there

    Will it be impossible for me to get a job in NYC? I live in the Southeast

    submitted by /u/leavjingmealone
    [link] [comments]

    Help with a transferring decision

    Posted: 08 Jul 2019 08:41 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, this is a throwaway in case anyone here recognizes the situation.

    I'm currently going into my second year at a B4 in a midsize, pretty high COL city. I've struggled with chronic mild depression for most of my life, with bouts of more serious depression and suicidal ideation. For whatever reason, this summer has been really difficult for me. An opportunity to transfer to my home city has fallen into my lap (they reached out to me), and I really think moving home would be the best thing for me emotionally and career-wise, as this city has more of the industries and types of companies I'd like to work for one day. I was initially planning to reconsider transferring after next busy season, but the more I think about the prospect of staying here another 8 months, the more anxious I get. Plus, if I transferred in the next couple months, I wouldn't need to pay $3k to break my lease, while next spring, I'd have to. I'd definitely be sad leaving the friends I've made here, and I'd feel a little like a failure that my attempt at being on my own didn't pan out, but I think I'd be much happier at home and would have some of the support I need that I'm missing here. I'd also be able to save substantially more money than I am now.

    The problem is that I'm on a small team (just the 2 of us right now), and I'm the only returning member. Both my senior and manager are new to the job this year, and frequently tell me how much they'll depend on my prior-year knowledge this year. I'd feel like a dick abandoning them, particularly since this opportunity just fell into my lap and I haven't brought up the possibility of transferring to them yet. BUT, I'm also aware that I'm only a staff and it's currently July—if now isn't a good time to leave, then when is?. I'd probably transfer at the end of August/beginning of September, which would leave plenty of time for them to onboard a new second year (it's a 12/31 year-end). Plus, it's public accounting and a certain level of turnover is to be expected. But I just don't want to burn any bridges and leave my team hanging for another really rough busy season.

    I'd love any advice with this situation, because while I want to look out for my health and wellbeing, I don't want to be that guy who leaves their team hanging. I also would consider my self at a relatively high risk of quitting, and I think transferring is my best chance at sticking it out in public as long as possible. While I have connections in the office I'd be transferring to and don't necessarily need to initiate the transfer on my side, I'd feel weird just leaving. If I ultimately transfer, how do I go about making people aware of it all before I just vanish? And how do I deal with any potential hostility to me transferring?

    submitted by /u/Plane_Bandicoot
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment