• Breaking News

    Wednesday, July 3, 2019

    Accounting Feel like I’ve just beaten tinder

    Accounting Feel like I’ve just beaten tinder


    Feel like I’ve just beaten tinder

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 03:54 AM PDT

    9 months

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:11 AM PDT

    Life After Public Accounting

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 12:44 PM PDT

    I have been a long time lurker on this sub, using everyone's advice since I was interviewing for B4 internships so I wanted to pay it forward. I have found my time on this sub has had mixed reviews of B4/public accounting so I wanted to share my experience now that I have exited into industry.

    One thing that I constantly struggled with was, does this job suck or do I think it is supposed to suck because that is what I have been told since being a college student. To be honest, a little bit of both. It is easy to get caught up in the complaining and whining which can overall bring your mood down. It is best to allow yourself to vent and then move on. Some parts of the job were great – working with smart and motivated people, flexible work schedule, the ability to see and understand how a company is ran, while other parts – long hours, non-value add to a business (imo), pressure to make the client's problems our problems were absolutely awful. This will be up to you to judge what is worth it. For some people, 1 year is plenty and they will move on, others may make it to senior, some stay until the day that they retire. For me, I always took it 6 months at a time. I knew that my opinion of the job could be determined by the teams I was on, what was going on at the client, or personal/family issues that the demands of the job and my drive to stay there were going to be fluid.

    My biggest piece of advice is that everyone's path is going to be different. Once you can accept this, your life will be much better. Often times we compare ourselves to our peers, duh the firms do for compensation, but when you take a step back realize that how can you compare your time on a large public job to those people that juggle 8 private jobs year-round? It is best to worry about yourself and look out for yourself, because no one is going to do that for you. You don't have to be a jerk, crushing those in your path, but I find that it is easy to get caught up in office drama if you are constantly worrying about everyone else.

    With that being said, I exited after 5 years in B4 public accounting for a job at a top 25 public company that I would venture to say ~90% of the world is familiar with. I had my manager schedule in-hand, when the opportunity arose. I was always open to hear opportunities but always knew I was never going to just leave for anything. If you work your butt off in public accounting, don't just leave for anything because you are frustrated. BE PICKY! You have earned it. While public accounting isn't the only way to have a successful accounting career, it sure can open up some doors. I have met various successful people in industry who have had varied public accounting experiences. When I told my partners and managers of my departure, some thought I would be stupid to leave without 1 year of manager experience. They made me feel as though I couldn't be successful without the firm. I knew I was taking a risk. Maybe the new job wasn't going to be sunshine and rainbows as promised. Maybe I wouldn't like what I was doing. Maybe I would be bored and not challenged and struggle to get through a 40 hour work week. But I knew that a job like this wouldn't come around again. I would be leaving for a 45% raise, better benefits (health, 401K, etc), more PTO and the ability to actually use it, flexibility in owning my schedule, not to mention no more working until 3AM for months on end. In my leaving I realized the people that truly cared about me were happy as they realized what type of an opportunity this was for me, while others showed their true colors – showing me that basically I was nothing more than a warm body that was willing to work ungodly hours. As it all turns out, I am in a manager roll here, with everything turning out as promised. It is okay to trust your gut and remember than not everyone is going to have the same path.

    Public accounting isn't always fun – probably not even 50% of the time. Take time for yourself and take care of yourself. Don't be pressured by what you are supposed to do or expected to do. Leave after 1 year, 2 years, 5 years, 10 years or stay forever. You don't need to apologize to anyone. This is your career and your life. Good luck all!

    submitted by /u/sandicheeks
    [link] [comments]

    Love these!

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 04:18 PM PDT

    How many shirts/pants/belts/ties do I need for first job?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 06:43 PM PDT

    I'm just starting my first accounting job out of college and have no idea how many outfits I need to make it not seem like I'm wearing the same stuff every week. What's a good beginner work wardrobe?

    submitted by /u/samuraiquack67
    [link] [comments]

    Partner walked in on me jacking off in my office

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 11:04 PM PDT

    How fucked am I? I received an email from HR a few hours after asking to "have a chat".

    submitted by /u/loanbonehead
    [link] [comments]

    PSA - Do Not Forget to Renew Your CPA License!

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 11:32 AM PDT

    I just went through a nightmare scenario. My CPA license ended up expiring after some 12 years because I missed the annual deadline by 1 or 2 days. I pleaded my case and informed the board that I tried to renew the day before it expired but could not because there were problems with the website. When I called the board, the folks on the phone couldn't care less and they said I have to MAIL in all my 3 years worth of CPE, a check for $350, and the reinstatement form. I emailed the board and it somehow got escalated to the right person with authority to make the call. The person looked at where I had tried to log in or had logged in. So the person ended up giving me an extension to renew. It's my fault for waiting until the last day and you just don't know what will happen if you wait 'til the last minute. Don't be a dummy like me. Renew when you can and as early as you can. I started preparing for the reinstatement process and it was extremely painful gathering all the CPE certificates from 2016 through 2019. And $60 vs $350 is a huge difference.

    submitted by /u/DanWessonValor
    [link] [comments]

    Forgoing an accounting career for low pay.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 11:08 AM PDT

    When I was in college, I declared accounting as my major and completed the sophomore level accounting courses with flying colors. I had this grand vision of making good money. Income was my driving motivation. I pictured myself rising through the ranks, holding a prestigious title, owning a Rolex, a nice condo, and a BMW. I certainly had the talent to do it. I was captivated by the Big 4 and Wall Street lifestyle, and the words of obnoxious motivational speakers, and wanted a piece of it. I wanted to pursue the American dream of chasing the almighty dollar.

    I had recently sobered up from an alcohol/cocaine addiction, and started doing volunteer work at a syringe exchange to give back. My experience there flipped my goals and values on their head. I absolutely LOVED it. I couldn't get enough. I was there every moment they were open. I volunteered for a mental health day center on top of the syringe exchange and put in 9 solid months of unpaid work. I found I had so much passion in the work. I was Johnny-on-the-spot with referrals and support when women would come in and report abuse. I motivated clients who expressed interest in getting clean. I listened intently, openly, and non-judgmentally when people would talk about their passions and their struggles. Supervisors, clients, and coworkers raved about my performance. I felt like I was really making a difference in my community. My values shifted from self-seeking to community oriented service.

    I said f*** accounting and got a paid job in the human services sector. I work at a residential mental health treatment facility, and I'm slowly chipping away at a psychology degree. I'll eventually get my MS, but I'm in no hurry, as I'm immensely enjoying the work. A senior Big 4 accountant could wipe their backside with my paycheck without so much as a second thought. But here's the thing: I'd do the work for free. I wake up every day excited to go to work. The fact that I even get paid at all is just a bonus. I have immense passion and talent. I have coworkers with degrees and I outperform them. I was built for this. The work/life balance is also great. 40 hrs per week. There are opportunities for overtime if I want some extra cash, but it's always optional. Due to the sometimes emotionally draining nature of the work, plentiful time off to "recharge" is the norm.

    Right now I make 13.50/hr. When I get my MS, realistically I'm looking at 45k to 55k per year. I had a luxurious life seared into my brain, and now I'm giving it up. There is a sense of sadness within me. I like accounting, I really do. It's fun and interesting. But I eat, sleep, and breathe mental health/addictions recovery. I won't have that BMW, or that nice condo, or those luxury vacations. I won't be able to send my kids to college debt free. That sucks. But I will have fulfillment in my work. I really feel I am blessed. Not everyone gets an opportunity to do something they truly love. Many get stuck in jobs they don't care for. I have that opportunity.

    But man, that accounting income would have been NICE.

    submitted by /u/Forumspin
    [link] [comments]

    Horror stories about interns at Big 4 who haven't gotten full time offers?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 08:48 PM PDT

    I know most people get offers, but I'm curious what kinds of things have made interns lose out on a FT role.

    submitted by /u/lostkittyuw
    [link] [comments]

    For those in public accounting: Do any of you guys have to be in at a certain time or else are considered late?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:59 PM PDT

    Idk if it's just my place or PA in general, but it's crazy flexible. I don't have to be in at a certain time. It's usually just hit your 55 hours for 6 months out of the year and 40 hours out of season. I would go in at 9:30am and they didn't seem to bat at eye. Compared to my internships in industry where I got in trouble for coming 2 minutes late despite being part time. One time I even took a random day off (of course told hr) and made up the hours the rest of the week. I prefer working Sunday through Thursday to get Friday off. And then Sunday through Friday and get Saturday off during busy season.

    My friend at another cpa firm was telling me it's more or less the same. We both are in tax so could be just for us. PA in general sucks ass, but this is one cool perk that I will miss once I leave

    submitted by /u/bluerrdsippinoncoola
    [link] [comments]

    CPA Core 2 Exam July 3 2019 Exam

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 01:46 PM PDT

    Wrote the Core 2 exam today. Felt pretty good about the case, seemed heavily weighted towards finance, and a lot of easy qualitative freebies. The multiple choice on the other hand was an absolute shit show. Should've probably studied variance a little more. Hopefully everyone else is in the same "crab boat" and it gets curved. Let me know how you found it.

    God speed

    submitted by /u/GrizzlyAccountant
    [link] [comments]

    Is it worth going to grad school for accounting?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 05:56 PM PDT

    I'm going into my sophomore year, and I was wondering if it was worth going to extra mile and getting a masters in accounting, is it worth it in the long term?

    submitted by /u/ismaelas33
    [link] [comments]

    Me when the Engagement Partner shows up unannounced to happy hour.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 07:16 AM PDT

    What % of your work would you say you’d be able to do remotely?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 02:02 PM PDT

    Kind of heated right now that I can't travel out of town for the Fourth of July weekend because my manager would "prefer" I be in the office on Friday when I'm sure I could do the work I have from out of town....... I'm wondering how much work everyone would say they could do remotely? It's times like these where I kind of wish I had a partially remote accounting job, but I know the only way to climb that corporate ladder is if you're in the office showing face...

    submitted by /u/zealot__of_stockholm
    [link] [comments]

    Is this normal? Partner to staff interaction

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 06:40 PM PDT

    Today, I was chewed out by the engagement partner about a job that I've been on over the past two months. Essentially, the senior on the engagement did a poor job in managing the workload and client expectations, and then left on vacation. So, I (Staff 1) now have had to manage the workload and client, with multiple other jobs on my plate, each under different seniors.

    Which leads me to today, where the partner and I had a discussion about the status of this engagement. We have a ton of open items (due to lack of senior management controlling workload efficiently), and the client only has one person now getting us support. I haven't had all the time I've needed to get this file done, so there are a good amount of workpapers left undone. The partner was definitely not happy about this, pretty much putting the lack of significant progress on me by not bringing issues up earlier (which is untrue, since I brought them up to the senior as they arose), and told me to "step up my efforts".

    To me, I'm really frustrated with how it feels that I'm getting all the blame for this job. I'm only a staff 1, and in my opinion, the senior should have better managed our workload to make sure things could get done timely, as well as actually communicated issues up the board. I've been considering looking for a new public accounting position, and this just motivates me more, since interactions like this are far too common at my firm.

    So, my question to you all is: does this seem normal to you? Or, am I just overreacting to this? I'm sure that there's a lot of missed details to fully conclude on this, but I tried to be thorough with what was needed.

    submitted by /u/nickthehickk
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone here took the CPA Canada in-depth tax program and want to share their experience? How was the work load? How is it helping you now. What would you do differently if you had to do it again

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 10:10 PM PDT

    Anyone here took the CPA Canada in-depth tax program and want to share their experience? How was the work load? How is it helping you now. What would you do differently if you had to do it again

    submitted by /u/newby007
    [link] [comments]

    How bad is this career?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 09:30 PM PDT

    Literally, ALL i see on here is about how public accounting sucks and the job sucks in general and its making me start to believe it. Im a sophmore in college planning on majoring in accounting but its hard to stay motivated when im hearing some of these stories. "My regular day is from 7 AM to 8 PM". "My body has turned into a potato". Jesus should i switch my major if the work life balance of this career is THAT bad? Need some advice.

    submitted by /u/aciuffa
    [link] [comments]

    FAR. Mental break down.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 09:07 PM PDT

    Urg I took FAR today and I literally walked out of the testing center crying. I feel so distraught about it and I am upset. It's my last section and thinking about not passing it is killing me. It is causing me so much anxiety. My bank Rec didn't balance and I just feel like based on the Sims I had I didn't do well. I'm trying to remain positive but it's hard.

    submitted by /u/yougotitdudes
    [link] [comments]

    should I do the Interview?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 05:45 PM PDT

    I've been at my current company 2 years (6 months temp, 1.5 years permanent). I just got an interview out in Las Vegas, which is my dream place to live. I'll get exposure to new areas of accounting (balance sheet reconciliations, GL). My current role is pretty limited and pays about $46K. I have a feeling I'd make $10K more in Las Vegas. I don't hate my current job, but some days I don't want to get out of bed in the morning. Living in Las Vegas has been my dream for some time now, but I feel horrible If I had to quit my job. Should I take the interview? The company seems very responsive and interested. FYI, I would get a slightly higher title.

    submitted by /u/eman12771
    [link] [comments]

    CPA Pep Core 2 - July 2019

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 11:09 AM PDT

    This is my second time writing, I wrote in March and struggled. Although I did good on the case the first time (2C's 1 RC), I think I did even better this time. And the MCQ were not that bad, the CMA Exams definitely helped for the calc questions.

    I found there was not much Finance questions, in March there was a lot. Lots of Strat/Gov and MA MCQ's.

    Was it just me or was the case pretty easy? I hope I did not miss something obvious.... It just seemed too smooth

    Time was not an issue for me either, al though it seemed everyone worked to the final minute

    submitted by /u/jaredg48
    [link] [comments]

    Repeating A Class to get a better accounting gpa

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 07:27 PM PDT

    Is it bad to repeat a class even if I passed it with a C so I can get a higher accounting GPA?

    submitted by /u/lisaxxx13
    [link] [comments]

    NYSSCPA overcharged me $90 in membership fee and instead of issuing me a refund, they just put it on my account, which will just sit there untouched for at least another full year. Should I bother asking them for interest on that money?

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 05:07 PM PDT

    Before you laugh at me, I am a student, with a negative bank balance (literally negative, cuz I forgot to turn off my credit card autopay. It somehow went through and left me with a negative balance and an overdraft fee), so I'd very much like to not lose any money, especially when it's for such a stupid reason. They are an accounting association, so I don't think it's too much to expect them to be aware of time value of money. But I feel like they might just get vindictive and give me trouble later on for being a pain in the ass.

    submitted by /u/PERCYDDD
    [link] [comments]

    Just applied to the CPA Canada program. Would love some advice.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2019 07:17 PM PDT

    Hi everyone. I just submitted my application to the CPA PEP program and I'm overall feeling really anxious about it. I know the benefits of it will outweigh the costs in the long run, but I just feel very doubtful about myself.

    I think what makes me the most anxious is that even though I passed all my accounting courses in university, I don't necessarily remember everything from all of my courses. So I'm scared I won't be able to pass the program because of that.

    I would just love some helpful advice about this, and how I can prepare before I start. If everything goes smoothly, I should be starting Core 1 in October.

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/turquioseshade
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment