• Breaking News

    Monday, June 3, 2019

    Startups Sunday’s Success Stories - Celebrate Your Successes From the Past Week: Anything goes, none too small!

    Startups Sunday’s Success Stories - Celebrate Your Successes From the Past Week: Anything goes, none too small!


    Sunday’s Success Stories - Celebrate Your Successes From the Past Week: Anything goes, none too small!

    Posted: 01 Jun 2019 06:08 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Sunday's Success Stories Thread.

    A lot of us get way too hung up on the destination and the fact that we are not there yet.

    It is important to take a moment to reflect on a great quote from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., "The steps you take don't need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction"- Jemma Simmons

    This is extremely relevant to all of us in this community. We should all be more aware of the successes we achieve every day that carry us closer to our goals.

    Celebrating these successes, no matter how small they are, allow us to stay motivated, focused, and happy while we struggle to achieve dreams of various sizes.

    The purpose of this thread is to share our successes from the week with one another and have something to celebrate together.

    So, let us know what successes you have achieved this week! Nothing is too small or insignificant!

    #Because this is meant to be a safe place to support emotional and physical health there is a zero tolerance policy in effect. Be KIND. Be sure to report any conduct that is in violation of that key tenet.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    11 Tech Happenings in China & Around The World 3/6/2019

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 12:45 AM PDT

    1.China Telecom to Spend USD2.6 Billion on Shanghai 5G and Fiber Network

    1. JD 京东 led a new round of investment in electronic product recycling platform aihuishou 爱回收 with over US$500m

    3. Didi 滴滴 invested in software service provider Mai Chong Xing 脉冲星
    4. Plastic surgery app So-Young 新氧 posts strong Q1 earnings, rising costs

    1. Xiaomi brings smart and affordable consumer technology to Chile with its first physical store

    2. India's tech startups witness late-stage funding boom this year, with an increasing number of deals worth $100m or more

    3. GOJEK backer Openspace Ventures to launch $500m growth fund by year-end
      8. India's Paytm to acquire local insurance marketplace Coverfox for around US$100m-$120m, sources say

    4. Yummy, the catering business of Indonesian lifestyle group Ismaya, acquires online catering startup Berrykitchen

    5. Groupon co-founder Eric Lefkofsky just raised another $200 million for his newest company, Tempus

    6. Foursquare buys Placed from Snap Inc. on the heels of $150M in new funding

    submitted by /u/Wallace_ZG
    [link] [comments]

    How to/should I split the business with my friend?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 06:15 AM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I really need an advice, I'm unsure about what to do.

    Basically, I've known him for about 3 years. We've done a few projects together and we're really close friends (going out often, grabbing coffee, etc). He has a lot of ideas for his ventures and he tried multiple of them and they all failed. He always wanted me to get involved into them and I always kinda refused because I didn't like the idea (although I always told him I'd help him out if he needs it).

    Now, I came up with an idea that has a huge potential for becoming a very good business. I wanted to get some feedback on the idea, talked with multiple people and I also talked to my friend. At first, he said he likes it and, like I did, he said if I need anything help to just tell him. When we were talking he had his two ideas that he was working on.

    Yesterday I found out both those ideas he had fell into the water and he completely gave up on them. I woke up tomorrow and he was calling me, asking me what was up with my idea. He also already wrote down some of his ideas for the product, how it should look like etc. He took it as we're doing this 50/50 now, but we're not.

    Thing is, I don't need him. I have the needed capital, I know how to design things, I know how to get the website up, I know how I'll advertise the product, I know how I'll brand it and I know how I'll get it to my customers (if it comes to that). What I'm missing is only someone to give me a second opinion on things I'll do and I thought that may be him.

    But knowing him, I think he believes that this is going to be split 50/50, but I don't want it to be that way. I'd give him 5-10% max but even that I think would be generous since he wouldn't be doing anything.

    What should I do? How should I present it to him? I wouldn't like to get in a fight with him and I wouldn't like for him to take the same idea and then race with me to the market.

    submitted by /u/quistet
    [link] [comments]

    How does Warby Parker protect itself against theft?

    Posted: 03 Jun 2019 02:14 AM PDT

    https://www.warbyparker.com/home-try-on

    I understand that Warby Parker has a home try-on programme where they send 5 pairs of glasses to your home to try on. What I don't understand is how they prevent people from just stealing the glasses outright? What happens if after 5 days, the customer does not return the try-on glasses? I imagine that this happens alot.

    submitted by /u/Beaglers
    [link] [comments]

    Canadian founder building startup in the US

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 11:44 PM PDT

    I'm a Canadian citizen and I just got my startup pre-seed funding for USD$400K, all from US venture capital. One of the firms is incubating my startup in San Francisco, so I'm expected to move there for about two years. However, in order to do that I have to pay myself to cover living expenses. The startup is incorporated as a Del C.

    My question is what are my options in terms of visas etc. to be able to legally pay myself a salary while working in SF?

    submitted by /u/elbabz
    [link] [comments]

    Tutorials for understanding how to make a good product and start a startup?

    Posted: 02 Jun 2019 06:06 PM PDT

    Hi,

    As someone who self-taught myself programming in 8th grade, I know with CS first you start by understanding variables, methods, classes etc.

    • First, what's the similar outline with developing a product and creating a startup.
    • Second, are there any guides or courses or tutorials that you'd recommend that go with that outline?

    I look at some articles and they're mentioning things like developing a UVP or product market fit, things that I should have learned about earlier. Most tutorials are vague and broad and don't have any place in an outline as I experienced with self-teaching CS.

    submitted by /u/lekanadeyeri
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment