• Breaking News

    Thursday, June 6, 2019

    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here. Investing

    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here. Investing


    Daily Advice Thread - All basic help or advice questions must be posted here.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 05:14 AM PDT

    If your question is "I have $10,000, what do I do?" or other "advice for my personal situation" questions. If you are going to ask how to invest you should include relevant information, such as the following:

    • How old are you?
    • Are you employed/making income? How much?
    • What are your objectives with this money? (buy a house? Retirement savings?)
    • What is your risk tolerance? (Do you mind risking it at blackjack or do you need to know its 100% safe?)
    • What are you current holdings? (Do you already have exposure to specific funds and sectors?)
    • Any other assets? House paid off? Cars? Expensive significant other?
    • What is your time horizon? Do you need this money next month? Next 20yrs?
    • Any big debts?
    • Any other relevant financial information will be useful to give you a proper answer.

    Please consider consulting our FAQ first - https://www.reddit.com/r/investing/wiki/faq

    Be aware that these answers are just opinions of Redditors and should be used as a starting point for your research. You should strongly consider seeing a registered financial rep before making any financial decisions!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    My father put his entire retirement money into XMF.PR.B. He's getting like 7% return and says it's 0 risk.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 05:29 PM PDT

    Can someone help me out and verify if this is legit or risky. I don't want my dad ending up living in my damn basement. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/alexkidd2000
    [link] [comments]

    ADP reports job increase of 27k vs expected 175k

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 05:50 AM PDT

    Discussion on Mastercard and Visa

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 08:32 PM PDT

    Hi everyone,

    I'd like to start a discussion regarding MA and V. Both stocks have been following a seemingly exponential pattern in the past 10-12 years. And both stocks are 10-20% above their October 2018 highs. In December, when the whole market was down, these stocks took a hit but were not hurt nearly as badly as many other stocks.

    Although these companies are at all time highs, is it a good time to invest? Should we expect long term future growth? Why or why not?

    Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts.

    submitted by /u/sillyorganism
    [link] [comments]

    Oil sinks 3% as US crude stockpiles unexpectedly surge by 6.8 million barrels

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 07:33 AM PDT

    U.S. crude inventories rose unexpectedly last week, while gasoline and distillate stockpiles built more than expected, American Petroleum Institute data showed.

    Oil prices have fallen sharply on concerns about slowing demand, but won some respite Tuesday after a global stock market rally on hopes the Fed may trim interest rates.

    The oil market has also been weighed down by concerns about slowing global growth due to heightened trade tensions.

    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/05/oil-markets-us-crude-inventories-rosneft-comments-in-focus.html

    submitted by /u/pipsdontsqueak
    [link] [comments]

    Lost my portfolio on Oil Margin trades

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 06:57 PM PDT

    Just got liquidated today on my margin oil trades, feeling so bummed about it as it was all my savings (low 6 figure range)

    What would be a recommended path to take as a young guy still just heading out into the career world ?

    Feeling pretty crappy as it would take a long time to "save" it back, especially given my position. I've been trading for about 5 years now and I'm not sure at which point would be a good idea to get back in the markets. It's just that greed and emotions take over.

    Edit: not really concerned with going back to trading, just that I really want to have that amount back, just to feel peace of mind, not even trade it ..

    submitted by /u/HeavyJett
    [link] [comments]

    Lost so much money in market

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 07:28 AM PDT

    I just want to cry my heart out here and make people aware not to do same mistake. I lost 15k which was invested in Concordia healthcare. My mistake was first listening to all those analyst and bnn second when it was falling I tried to average down on it thinking it might jumps back. Third was I try to hold on it till they did reverse split of 300:1. I will stick my self to passive investing in future. Try to save more and meet the goals.

    Ps: I can probably save that amount again in a 6 month time line since me and my spouse both work in decent jobs. But, I will stick myself to passive investing and will keep balance portfolio. That lost tfsa contribution will always pinch me.

    submitted by /u/yycglad
    [link] [comments]

    Nio founder, a serial scammer

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 10:48 AM PDT

    Bin Li, the companies he founded:

    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/BITA/

    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/2858.HK/

    Now this shit:

    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/NIO?p=NIO

    Not to mention that fucking bike-sharing POS Mobike shit which he controlled 29.25% and was an early investor.

    None of these shit companies ever made money, all posted massive losses right after listing.

    He's not alone, the Luckin coffee founder, Jenny Qian Zhiya (and Lu Zhengyao), from shitty rental car business too,

    https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/0699.HK/

    same recipe.

    submitted by /u/LALAOOP
    [link] [comments]

    GOOGL: Averaging down strategy - please advize

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 12:11 AM PDT

    I opened a position in GOOGL few months ago when it traded relatively high with the expectation that I might have to average down - we are now given all the recent backslash to about 10-15% down. I am ok with it, not planning to sell. Just wondering whether I should average down now or still hold until the news on the antitrust investigation get fully priced in.

    submitted by /u/gymaliz
    [link] [comments]

    Bullion vs. Bitcoin

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 02:20 AM PDT

    Some say Gold is a good investment in case of financial turmoil, and some say bitcoin. But can't it be both?

    submitted by /u/itsmeim23
    [link] [comments]

    How to short Gamestop until death?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 02:49 PM PDT

    I have reason to believe that Gamestop will go tits-up in the next five years. If their dwindling stock isn't enough to convince you, consider that they've been going through CEOs like crazy and the fact that their stores are half-packed with tacky pop-culture bullshit that can be purchased anywhere else and typically for much less.

    That being said, should I start shorting now or hold off?

    submitted by /u/DangerDoc
    [link] [comments]

    There's Now a Trade War ETF You Can Invest In

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:42 AM PDT

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-06-05/trade-war-punters-now-have-an-etf-to-place-their-bets-with?srnd=markets-vp

    Playing the trade war usually means betting against companies that are likely to suffer, such as those in the tech sector or with Chinese revenue.

    Not so for a new exchange-traded fund from M-CAM International that's trying to identify the winners with an approach that could surprise some investors. The Innovation Alpha Trade War ETF, which started trading on Wednesday under the ticker TWAR, plans to buy companies that have government contracts, calculating that state support could buoy these stocks if tensions escalate. Only firms with strong intellectual property -- as defined by M-CAM -- are eligible for the fund.

    submitted by /u/8Deer-JaguarClaw
    [link] [comments]

    ELSS & its Must Know's

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 04:06 AM PDT

    Come December and a palpable frenzy can be witnessed everywhere in the office! It is the time companies ask employees to submit their investment proofs for tax calculation, and suddenly everyone starts discussing tax and tax-saving investments. It is usually at times like these that you may make uninformed investment decisions by parking your funds in instruments that either don't end up beating inflation, or lock up your money for a long time. This is when the concept of equity-linked savings scheme (ELSS) gains prominence. ELSS doesn't only save tax for an investor, but it also helps fulfil investors' goal of creating wealth in the long-term. One can invest in ELSS funds to meet their various life goals of buying a vehicle, a house, taking a long-awaiting international vacation, etc.

    Here are five things you need to know about ELSS funds:

    Helps save tax: ELSS funds fall under the Section 80C category of investments, which help you reduce your taxable income by up to Rs. 1.5 lakh in a financial year. Investors falling in the tax bracket of 30% and 20% can end up saving up to Rs. 46,350 and Rs. 30,900, respectively.

    No TDS: Unlike other instruments, the returns earned on ELSS funds are exempt from tax deducted at source (TDS). This means no capital gains tax will be levied at the time of redemption and the dividend received is tax free.

    Lowest lock in: The one feature that makes ELSS stand out among its other tax-saving peers is that of its lowest lock-in period of three years; tax-saving fixed deposits (FDs) have a lock-in period of five years whereas Public Provident Fund (PPF) has 15-year lock-in period.

    Superior returns: As the name suggests, ELSS funds invest majority of its assets in the equity market, thereby helping investors earn inflation-beating returns over the long term. While investing, you will have two plan options –growth and dividend- to choose from. Experts recommend opting for the growth option as it will work well with your long-term goal of wealth creation via the compounding effect.

    Ease of investing: Opening an FD or PPF account needs a lump sum amount to be invested, but that's not the case with ELSS funds. You can start an ELSS fund with an amount as small as Rs. 500. What's more, you can set up a predetermined date for investing via the systematic investment plan (SIP) route. This will ensure you maintain a disciplined approach towards investments, while also helping you grow your wealth, in a tax-friendly way!

    submitted by /u/harishg112
    [link] [comments]

    A Muslim's Investing Dilemma

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 03:33 AM PDT

    Hello, will be grateful if someone can give me a perspective here.

    You might already know. That interest is not allowed in Islam.

    Practically, that means I cannot invest in Banks or Bonds. Which inturn means I cannot invest in index funds.

    Stocks are the only option I have.

    I cannot find a single index fund on Hargreaves Lansdowne ( I am UK based) that does not have investment in bank/bonds/ or interest based financial services.

    So it got me thinking. How about I invest small small portions in multiple stocks of my liking and hence mimicking a fund?

    Is my thinking correct? What am I missing?

    submitted by /u/RovCal_21
    [link] [comments]

    What do you all play in the stock market? Short or long gains? Please add age to your comment.

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 04:43 PM PDT

    25 here. I currently shoot for short term investments and quick gains only because I'm not shoveling 100k into the market so it's fairly easy to keep up with the news for the companies I am heavy in. I recently flipped CVS from 52.4 to 55.5 and flipped AMD from 26.4 to 30. I try and target companies in which I have knowledge of the product and use this to navigate my choices. How do you all navigate the market? I know dividend stocks are important in any portfolio and I'm curious what other people do to plan for their future in the form of stocks.

    No need to criticize people here just making this post to see what others do!

    submitted by /u/HolidayNick
    [link] [comments]

    When to take profit

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 12:02 PM PDT

    Hi. I have a long stock which is up 33%. I could sell $600 of it and still have my original investment of $2000. Is this a conservative strategy? I don't need the money but with all the volatility and uncertainty in the market, I was wondering if I should take this profit. Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/sammydrums
    [link] [comments]

    How are 40% moves still possible these days

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 02:08 AM PDT

    GME and CLDR both plunged around 40% after earnings. How is this still possible? Did nobody expect? Think about it, both companies worth almost half of what it was pre-earnings. Why did no one forsee this?

    I think its reasonable for companies to do worse than expected and plunge 10-20%, but 40% seem to suggest something was seriously wrong? no analyst saw this? retail investors didn't expect or price in anything like that? How did these disasters happen?

    submitted by /u/nocehr
    [link] [comments]

    Can someone explain to me what a UCITS is?

    Posted: 06 Jun 2019 01:28 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm looking to diversify my portfolio to include emerging markets. I'm looking at the Vanguard FTSE Emerging Market ETF's VDEM and VFEM. Can anyone explain to me, (a UK Expat living and teaching in Asia) the difference between them, and which I should invest in? I've tried to do some research online and I am no closer to understanding what a UCITS is. I'm aiming for 10% emerging market share for my portfolio.

    Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/MrQMaths
    [link] [comments]

    Who are your favorite Investing Twitter accounts to follow?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:15 PM PDT

    Those who where Invest in Gold during the 2008 financial crisis, what went through your head when gold prices fell?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 02:21 PM PDT

    As an additional question,

    Did you know why the price gold was falling (Banks borrowing gold from central banks and selling it for cash on the market) and how common was this knowledge back then?

    submitted by /u/Jeroen_Jrn
    [link] [comments]

    Tax Implication Question

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 03:34 PM PDT

    I just wanted to get someone elses opinion on this. It seems right in my head but I wanted to make sure I was not overlooking anything.

    I current have a position in Visa in my individual account that I have had since 2008. I plan on holding this company very long term (30+ years).

    For future lower tax liability purposes I was thinking I should sell the position and move the money to my ROTH IRA to immediately repurchase the shares.

    Not considering transfer time and assuming there isn't a large price movement between the trades, wouldn't this be a good idea to avoid paying taxes on the future gains that might occur if I hold for 30+ years? Am I missing anything?

    I know I would have to pay capital gains on the trade out of my individual account.

    submitted by /u/boomersooner47
    [link] [comments]

    Stitch Fix spikes 21% after beating earnings and revenue expectations

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 01:17 PM PDT

    Annual reports used to be way more graphic and colorful than todays sec reports

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 10:59 PM PDT

    Is there a fund for "good" companies?

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:46 AM PDT

    i.e. Pay employees well, dont cut hour to avoid offering health insurance, dont pay shitty then educate how to apply for benefits (walmart, effectively getting payroll subsidized by taxpayers)

    I think Costco is a good example of a company to be included (though Im sure they have some issues I unawares of).

    Edit: I didn't just mean it for employee relations. Nestle exploiting Africa, etc. I understand they are good for business and that it's unlikely and that I'm leaving money on the table

    submitted by /u/garmin123
    [link] [comments]

    How to take advantage of Brexit

    Posted: 05 Jun 2019 09:56 PM PDT

    Just a fun mindgame. What do you think could be a way to take advantage of the situation?

    submitted by /u/morningmotherlover
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment