• Breaking News

    Sunday, June 30, 2019

    Accounting We’ve all been there, buddy

    Accounting We’ve all been there, buddy


    We’ve all been there, buddy

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 04:23 PM PDT

    When you visit clients with your seniors

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 04:26 AM PDT

    Finance major coming in peace

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 12:24 PM PDT

    Sometimes it can feel like recruiting just hands out offers.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 04:42 PM PDT

    Because that's what Accounts do

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 07:36 AM PDT

    Getting kicked out of B4 after less than a year. Does this rarely happen?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 03:23 PM PDT

    I don't know if my team is toxic or if I just happen to not fit in with my team. Most of the staff who worked on prior year workpapers are now either on different teams or have left the firm altogether. More than half the team (two seniors, one staff, two interns, and I) are new to the firm or office location and have been on the client for less than a year. The others (senior, two managers) have been around for a few years. The only person who's nice to me and who doesn't fit in with the team like me is one of the new seniors, but she is an expat and will return to her native country next year.

    I've had very little heart-to-heart with the staff who worked on the prior year workpapers (everyone's traveling so I rarely see anyone who's not on my team), but one of them have said "oh boy" when I told him what team I was on.

    Anyway, I received a 120-day PIP a few weeks ago. I was told that I would not be able to switch teams. I feel like I am on the chopping block. Everyone on my team and most of the higher-ups know that I am on this PIP. My coach has told me that the firm would rather have someone who works hard than someone who is extremely intelligent.

    I think I already work very hard.

    I think I'll get kicked out after less than a year. People say here that a PIP is the kiss of death.

    submitted by /u/sumcumlaude
    [link] [comments]

    First Year B4, how bad do you have to be?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 06:43 PM PDT

    I've seen some things on this subreddit about PIPs/getting fired etc...How does one avoid this situation in their first year?

    submitted by /u/ConstantPark
    [link] [comments]

    Here a little motivation for the people spending the weekend studying.

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 02:46 PM PDT

    Wanting to start a cpa firm one day, which area of tax should I go into?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 04:02 PM PDT

    I want to eventually go on my own and start my own practice after a few years of tax in public. I want to be able to help small businesses with their tax, bookkeeping, payroll etc.

    Which tax practice should I go into at public? And i've heard its better to go mid-size in order to do work with smaller businesses. But isn't mid-size firms like Grant Thornton, RSM, BDO basically big 4 lite. Should I look to going to a firm smaller than those or is mid-size firms fine? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

    submitted by /u/tomyboi98
    [link] [comments]

    How often are you at the office? (Big 4 Audit)

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 04:46 PM PDT

    How often are you at the office vs client sites?

    submitted by /u/3patrick33
    [link] [comments]

    Is it really that bad? (Serious)

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 06:23 PM PDT

    Pursuing accounting this Spring for my Masters and all the posts and memes are kinda discouraging. So like the title says, is it really that?

    From what it looks like it's self deprecating humor from public and industry is much more chill? But even then...

    Knowing what you now, would you do it all over again?

    submitted by /u/cnmnrlls
    [link] [comments]

    Industry: What’s your close schedule timeline?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 08:10 PM PDT

    Just curious how long other companies take to close the books each month?

    I work in manufacturing. On normal months, we close in two days, second day we stay until we are done. Third day we load into the financial system. On quarter ends, we get an extra day to do quarterly true ups.

    submitted by /u/emilyb7
    [link] [comments]

    Any Cayman Island Professionals Here?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 08:48 AM PDT

    Currently a B4 Tax Senior here.. I see the Deloitte, KPMG, and other firms' ads on LinkedIN all the time about a need for staff/senior/managers in Grand Cayman in my area of tax and on the surface it looks pretty awesome. Just curious if anyone has any experience there or made the transfer and how it went/is going? Each time I see the posting my urge to apply gets a little stronger.

    submitted by /u/tossout543
    [link] [comments]

    [CANADA] CPA PEP CORE 1 Exam Inquiries

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 11:59 AM PDT

    Hey All,

    Studying away for core 1 module exam this coming Thursday. Just wondering what are some old topics that have come up during the exam cases (old writers can reflect on this a bit?) Was there are particular focus on specific financial reporting topics like EPS, share based payments, etc? Or was it more along the line with the weekly PC (rev rec, impairment, R&D, etc)?

    Also, how likely is it to see tax or finance in the case instead of assurance?

    I started studying yesterday and it has been overwhelming with the number of topics out there. How screwed am I?

    submitted by /u/PrivateFem
    [link] [comments]

    Aspiring accountant here, also a first year student who's advisor seemingly threw me to the wolves because none of this makes sense. I could definitely use help, but please explain why/how as well!!

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 04:17 PM PDT

    A bit last minute, but you can currently buy an unlimited Becker license

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 03:50 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    If you're concerned that you're Becker license is going to expire before you pass all 4 exams, you can buy an unlimited license for $500. You also get flash cards and and final review books. The deal expires today so hopefully you see this post in time! you can find the link here

    submitted by /u/rtfrey95
    [link] [comments]

    As a student or new grad (no experience), do employers expect you to be a master at excel, quickbooks, etc on Day 1?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 09:46 PM PDT

    I have about a year of school left, i work in mental health currently. My job pays for most of my schooling so I was hoping to stick it out until i graduate and just grab a part time internship in the meantime.

    However, after getting attacked by a patient recently, I've been having second thoughts about getting an accounting-related job....well... Now.

    Thing is, the class im taking now (accounting information systems) is the one thats delving deep into excel and quickbooks. While I've learned a lot in it, i havent had a chance to practice it in the real world and im concerned about how much of an expert employers expect you to be with this software (and accounting in general i guess)? Im referring to industry not public, if that makes any difference. I haven't even touched advanced accounting yet, i passed all the beginner and intermediate classes though.

    Many of the ads i see mention "intermediate" excel skills. Can anyone comment on this?

    Also is there anything wrong with applying to accounting jobs that state "accounting degree required" even though you haven't finished it yet?

    submitted by /u/madmax79818515
    [link] [comments]

    Is this salary offer too low?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 11:09 AM PDT

    Hey I recently earned my Undergraduate and will continue on to my masters in the fall. I have been applying in the job market just to see whats out there right now and just got an offer on the table for a full time Bookkeeping/Office Assistant position but the salary offer was only for 30K a year. Am I crazy or is that salary offer way too low? I am located in the New England area and have multiple years of business admin experience but non in direct accounting if that helps.

    submitted by /u/thro199
    [link] [comments]

    Meal tax treatment for restaurants

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 02:48 PM PDT

    Hi All,

    Looking for guidance here. My family owns a restaurant and feeds all of our employees. We never put any of the orders through the POS system.

    (1) Are we missing out on any tax deductions from the meals we give to employees?

    (2) If we do start to put them through, should we put them through at full price? And later full discount it for each employee?

    submitted by /u/skiaatt
    [link] [comments]

    [CAN] CPA core 2

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 08:37 PM PDT

    Any Study advice for core 2 exam? 🆘

    submitted by /u/reneecarrie
    [link] [comments]

    Hmmmm pt 2?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 07:57 AM PDT

    How did you choose your first job? First offer? Multiple? How'd you decide? Also, how did you decide what type of job you wanted to do? What did you decide on that? Sorry for all the questions!

    submitted by /u/ZMARK90
    [link] [comments]

    Accounting for an investment bank in a back office role, for anyone with input, is there a bad culture in those environments generally?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 06:01 PM PDT

    I did some time in public, and then I went to industry and I got reached out by a headhunter and decided what harm could there be in taking an interview with a mid-size investment bank.

    I think they manage billions, but its not at goldman sachs level. Interview is coming up this week, and its for essentially an assistant controller position. Theres a 5-8 person team for the accounting. They have a ton of employees, but its all on the investment side.

    I've heard stories of how banking can be high pressure, lots of screaming, berating, yelling and that is not something that I would ever want to deal with in my day to day, and a big part of why I left public because my specific office was unprofessional.

    The industry gig is much better with HR that keeps everything in check. With that said, I'm concerned that there may be a bad culture there, but of course I won't know until I go to interview or even until I accept and offer and start working there.

    I'm assuming a back office role won't have that type of ignorance, or at least it won't be as tolerated since we are not paid as much.

    This role is in NYC, and I'm currently at a Fortune 500 in Manhattan along with everyone else.

    submitted by /u/RondoNumbaThirtyNine
    [link] [comments]

    Is my hair suitable for getting a job in the industry?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 03:40 AM PDT

    I am a recently graduated accounting student. After having taken a short break, I'm now applying for graduate/trainee jobs. However, I wanted to check if my hair is appropriate and whether it will affect the chances of me getting a job? I am a man with long black straight hair that reaches just above my shoulders. I have brown highlights subtly mixed into the back of my hair only (for image reference https://images.app.goo.gl/jiiXRefZfsCva5Nz6). At the moment I've been tying my hair into a ponytail. Is this a suitable hairstyle for an accountancy job?

    submitted by /u/4M1N97
    [link] [comments]

    Since technology will eliminate a lot of the routine work in auditing, will the profession be a lot more interesting?

    Posted: 30 Jun 2019 05:08 PM PDT

    Will auditing work become a lot more analytical and engaging when automation picks up?

    submitted by /u/Elementalbright
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment