• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 5, 2019

    What were the early indicators of the 2008 Housing Crisis in the US, and how relevant are international indicators today for a future crisis? Real Estate

    What were the early indicators of the 2008 Housing Crisis in the US, and how relevant are international indicators today for a future crisis? Real Estate


    What were the early indicators of the 2008 Housing Crisis in the US, and how relevant are international indicators today for a future crisis?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 08:12 PM PST

    I've noticed a recent downturn in markets such as Canada and Australia, and I wonder if there's any relationship between these trends and where the US market could be heading. I don't know much about the 2008 financial crisis (beyond a lot of people getting loans that were not qualified for them), but I'm curious what the retrospective leading indicators were then, compared to indicators we're seeing today. Is there a relationship? Surely there is more than one set of issues that could bring down housing prices (e.g., a speculative crash in 2020 could be for reasons quite different than 2008).

    A few more data points: According to the St. Louis Fed, monthly housing supply peaking in October 2018 to levels not seen in 7 years. Interest rates at 10 year highs, and this is the first tax filing season with the $10k SALT cap. These external factors further increase the cost of homeownership. In aggregate, these data points don't paint a good look outlook for prices.

    submitted by /u/XyhCaSfttM
    [link] [comments]

    Would offering to prepay 4 months of rent be a good way to overcome no rental history?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 11:30 AM PST

    I am looking of other ideas that are low risk to me. I don't want a shady landlord to take my money or pay a huge deposit and have them keep it.

    I have excellent credit with an outstanding car loan. California

    submitted by /u/SouthOcelot
    [link] [comments]

    Potentially purchasing a complete fixer-upper, what are the things I should consider/prepare for?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 12:18 AM PST

    Hello, first time home buyer here. I was eyeing this one home in a nice area, but it needs a total renovation—we're talking changing the floor plan of the original house. Its technically "move in ready" but it's very very old. It's 2,300 sqft, 3 bed 2.25 bath built in 1957. There are popcorn ceilings as well.

    My question is, what should I consider or look for when purchasing this home? Should I bring a contractor with me to get an estimate beforehand? Any other advice or things to look out for would be so appreciated. Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/baegintears
    [link] [comments]

    Is it a bad idea to sell our big apartment, in order to buy 2 smaller ones ?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 02:48 AM PST

    Hi all,

    I want to start investing more in real estate, I currently have 1 rental apartment which is bringing good cash flow.

    I live with my girlfriend in a pretty big apartment for 2 people at the moment, and we are considering selling it, and buying 2 smaller ones for the money we get. 1 apartment to live in - and the other we can rent.

    Does this sound like a bad idea ? The other option would be to just get a mortgage and buy one more apartment to rent out, but we really feel like our apartment isn't at the best location, and is too big for 2 people.

    Am I crazy considering this ?

    submitted by /u/Br00dlord
    [link] [comments]

    Considering stretching for a house that seems like a great deal, need some help figuring out if I can afford it

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 10:10 AM PST

    I'm looking to buy a house, and I saw one yesterday that seems like a great buy. It has the look and size I want, it's in a great location, and while it needs a few repairs, they're all cosmetic issues that I can live with if I have to (assuming nothing worse comes up in an inspection). The only catch is that the asking price is 440k and I was hoping to stay under 400k. I was pre-approved up to 600k, so getting the mortgage is no issue, but I don't want to stretch myself too thin.

    I've calculated that per month, the combined principal, interest, taxes, homeowner's insurance, and PMI will cost about $2850/month. I know there will be utilities on top of that and I need to budget for some repairs, but are there any other costs I should be considering that I'm not?

    submitted by /u/bulkthehulk
    [link] [comments]

    Recommended books & advice for new real estate salesperson?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 12:18 PM PST

    What's up guys, I'm a resident here in DFW Texas who just passed the exam and am officially a certified real estate salesperson. As I begin the search for a good broker sponsor, I'd like to simply ask for recommendations on books, podcasts, youtube channels, or anything that you recommend I take advantage of to help me launch & succeed.

    Any advice is also welcomed. What do you wish you could do differently? What do you wish you knew when you started out? What key advice do you have for anyone starting? Anything helps.

    Thanks guys.

    submitted by /u/Mitch-Pleeze
    [link] [comments]

    Advice needed - put in an offer today on first home...3 months left on rental lease

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 06:14 PM PST

    My realtor is saying if I am happy with the home insepction that he can get us in there by the end of the month. I can't tell my leasing office anything yet cause nothing is definite and we had no idea the timeline could potentially move so fast. Any advice on getting them to break the lease early or about paying a mortgage along with renting for a few months if they won't let us out of our lease?

    submitted by /u/karissam
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to know if my possible house had a murder or other crime in it?

    Posted: 05 Mar 2019 03:31 AM PST

    I mean how do you know??

    submitted by /u/eldetepro
    [link] [comments]

    Lower/higher APR vs. lower/higher fees?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 12:34 PM PST

    Hi there, so I was just browsing a home on the redfin app, and at the bottom it allows you look at the breakdown of the monthly costs, and also to get pre-qualified. You can scroll through various rates, which are ordered by the lowest percentage APR going first. The lowest one was 3.943% APR, with 1.9 pts, 3.75% rate, and the fees are $11,258. Another was 4.037% APR, 1.8 pts, 3.875% rate, and $9423 fees. In general, which one is a better deal? Sorry for being a noob, I tried Googling but not really sure what to search... Thanks!

    submitted by /u/himurakenshin87
    [link] [comments]

    Is it time to stop renting and buy? (CA)

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 11:16 PM PST

    First time buyer here. Really struggling with the decision to stop renting and buy. Been renting for a few years now and casually looking for a house. I currently have about 40k to put as a down and can afford about $420k. If I continue renting I can save about $2.5k a month. This drops to about $1k with a mortgage.

    My question is whether I should get in on this market or wait for better prices.

    I don't really have a reason to own a home right now. No kids, probably stay at my current job for another 2 or 3 years, then off to the next opportunity. My only motivation would be to start earning equity, but based off of current predictions of a slowing housing market I'm a bit concerned.

    Any thoughts would be appreciated!

    submitted by /u/jonubi09
    [link] [comments]

    Buyer/Buyer's Agent moved/relocated items in house prior to closing

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 03:44 PM PST

    Probably being petty here, but haven't been able to get a hold of my realtor today (been playing phone tag).

    I am selling a house, closing is later this week. No closing paperwork has been signed.

    My realtor didn't communicate with me that the buyer's were doing there walkthrough Sunday (yesterday). I was with the plumber at the house while he finished up a repair that was agreed to for the sale and removing personal items and effects from the house.

    The buyer begins doing her walkthrough (with her agent and her parents). I leave. Only comments made prior to me leaving home were I informed that there were items in the basement that may have value to them (extra flooring that matches whats currently in the house, leftover tile from bathroom remodel, paint that matches current colors, etc etc). If there is anything they want removed, let my agent know and we will go from there.

    I come back over to the home this morning and find that they have gone through pretty much all the house and moved items from the upstairs closets to the basement, and items from one end of the basement to the other. They were basically segregating items into 'keep and discard piles'. I don't see anything blatantly missing - but I didn't really keep track of what was left in the house and what wasn't.

    I'm really kind of shocked that the agent would allow her clients to interact with someone else's belongings prior to closing. Is there any recourse here - or just suck it up, close and move on?

    submitted by /u/throwawaymissouri1
    [link] [comments]

    Have $1M Cash To Invest. Need Some Opinions!

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 11:13 PM PST

    Hey guys! Hoping I can get some thoughts from the community on my situation.

    I've come into some money in E-Commerce recently and I'm considering how to invest it for the long term. My goal is to simultaneously build a real estate portfolio while also maintaining diversification with target date funds.

    Right now, finances are broken out as follows:

    $1M Cash (across business checking, brokerage)

    $700K stocks + bonds (mostly index funds spread across brokerage, SEP IRA, 401k)

    Right now I'm 28 self-employed and managing an online store that's bringing in $500k-$1mm in EBITDA. Tax returns for the last two years will say ~$600k and $1.1mm in net income for the last two years, if it makes a difference for mortgage purposes.

    With the cash I have on hand, and with the cash flow coming in, I'm not sure what the best financing option is for me if I'm to establish the foundation of a real estate portfolio (ie empire). My primary question is, do I pay cash for my first real estate purchase (primary residence) or do I take advantage of low interest rates? Also, how do I best take advantage of my long time horizon now?

    Admittedly, I'm not that well versed in real estate. My CPA friend has suggested I pay cash for the primary residence, take out a loan against the home, buy more property, rinse repeat. Rationale is that there's no tax benefit in NYC with the SALT cap to pay more than $24k in interest etc. I'm wondering if this is the correct route here.

    I understand NY is an insanely competitive market. But it feels like I can't really go wrong with paying cash. What do you guys think?

    Thanks in advance for opinions!

    submitted by /u/dropshipguy123
    [link] [comments]

    Handling multiple bids as seller

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 11:02 PM PST

    After having just been buyers and dealing with losing several bids in multiple offer situations, it looks like we're going to be fortunate enough to get multiple bids on the condo we're selling. I'm wondering how we should handle this.

    When we were buying, realtors would collect bids, then tell us, "We've received 3 bids that are competitive. Some have waived contingencies. Please present your best and final offer by 5pm today." and then we'd scratch our heads and try to game theorize our way into having the winning bid, but not accidentally bidding 20k over the next highest bidder. That sucked, and I'm not even sure it was the most efficient way to get the highest bid for the seller.

    If we have multiple competitive offers, I'm thinking of asking my realtor to reveal more information about the bids to everyone before asking for round 2. e.g., "We've had 3 competitive bids ranging from 650k to 665k, two of which waived all contingencies. Consideration of best and final offers will happen at 5pm".

    Thoughts? I'd have enjoyed knowing that information as a buyer. It's hard to know if releasing more information will benefit me as the seller, though...

    submitted by /u/whimbrel
    [link] [comments]

    Cashout refi on a SFH renatl

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 10:45 PM PST

    Hi folks,

    I am looking to do a cash out refi on one of my SFH rentals. I wanted to see which is the best kind of lender to go with. Is it best to go with one of the big banks, or a local bank of where that property is located? Based on your experience, which banks give the highest LTV with the best rates? From what I hear, 60-65% is the max most banks will lend with the most competitive rates. Again, this is my first time doing a cash out refi so any newbie info would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to ask any questions if I've left anything out or you need more details to help give me better advice.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/ihaveagooddog
    [link] [comments]

    Can I buy a home that is already set to be auctioned?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 10:44 PM PST

    Hi Everyone, I had a question about buying a home that is set to be auctioned at the end of the month. I live in California if that helps. If the owners agree is it possible to pay off their defaulted payments/liens/taxes to stop the auction, and then purchase their home? I already know what they owe and this would be done through a lawyer. I just don't know if it's too late for this approach since the auction date has been set or if this is a bad idea.

    Another option would be approaching the bank with an offer to see if they would sell instead of going to auction. Is this a possibility? I have the lender's name but can't find the contact information. Every number I find online is a wrong number or disconnected.

    I'm not looking for a steal, there is just not much for sale in that area so I'd be happy to pay what it's worth. I spoke to the owners when it was first in pre-foreclosure and they were trying to salvage it. I don't want to approach them again without a good plan. Any advice or pointers would be great!

    submitted by /u/sporkad
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a way to protect myself from a roommate not paying?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 10:23 PM PST

    So I am thinking about getting a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment and will likely be rooming with a stranger because I will be moving to a new city. My question is, is there a way to protect myself from my room mate randomly deciding not to pay his share of the rent? Is there a lease that exists that states I am only responsible for my portion of the rent, and if he refuses to pay, then the landlord has to deal with that?

    submitted by /u/newcreditcarduser
    [link] [comments]

    Potentially buying house (not on the market) from a family friend, a few questions?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 07:54 AM PST

    My boyfriend of 9 years and I are first time home buyers and recently began the search for a house in our area. We've looked/been shown a few listings, to no avail. They either need too much work, or are way too far out of our price range.

    Long story short, my boyfriend's elderly family friend (in his 70's) who lives by himself after his wife's passing a few years ago, had an accidental fall a few weeks ago at home and was found at the bottom of his basement stairs unconscious and very cold. He was hospitalized in a coma and not expected to wake up. Thankfully he did and has not sustained any long term damage.

    Because of this, he no longer feels comfortable living alone and plans to move in with his girlfriend at her home. He asked my boyfriend's father if any of his kids would be interested in buying the property, as in his words, their family is more family to him than his own children. My future FIL mentioned us, as all the other siblings already own homes, and we met up with him Saturday to walk through the house. He said besides gathering the deeply personal items, he would be leaving most of the contents inside the house for us. This includes appliances, but also means we have to clean everything out. There is a LOT of stuff in that house, as is common with that generation. He explained that because his daughter and him have some items to sort through, the earliest we'd be able to move in is June, which is perfect for us.

    We very much so want to buy this house, but I have a few questions before we call him to make an offer.

    1.) The house was appraised at 140k. Assessed at 102k by the county. We were initially pre-approved for 160k, but there's no way that amount is feasible for us. All things considered, we would not be willing to offer any more than 110-115k. The family friend/owner said that because he would love for one of us kids to have it, he'd be willing to work with us on the price.

    Considering that and the fact(s) that: we would be cleaning the house ourselves, neither of us will be hiring a realtor meaning he doesn't have to pay fees associated with listing the house, it needs some TLC but not any major work, would our max offer of 115k be reasonable?

    2.) Are there certain lenders who are better to deal with when you're trying to buy a house directly from the owner?

    3.) At what point should we obtain a lawyer if he does agree to our offer?

    submitted by /u/cdl56
    [link] [comments]

    Jointly owning property with a parent, owner occupied duplex, tax questions

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 11:39 AM PST

    Hi there,

    Here is the scenario: my spouse and I own outright a house that we converted into a duplex. My dad is a 1% owner and lives in one of the units while the other one is being rented out. Here are my questions:

    1) If my dad keeps the income from the rent, can he write off half of the real estate tax as owner and the other half is reported against the rental income?

    2) If my spouse and I claim the income, do we write off half the tax?

    3) Can who claims the rental income change year over year?

    3) If we don't claim anything, and let my dad do it - is it considered a second home for us? He obviously has a vested interest in the place and lives there, but I'm confused about how the ownership is being viewed from the IRS stand point...

    Thanks in advance for any help!

    submitted by /u/gsdane81
    [link] [comments]

    Mortgage for Rental Property

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 09:18 PM PST

    I am thinking about getting some property to rent out. I would not live in it. I was looking at Wells Fargo for Mortgaging Investment Properties and it looks like it comes with caveats https://www.wellsfargo.com/mortgage/buying-a-house/investment-property-loans/. One for example is 2 years property management experience.

    But what if I were to get a regular mortgage, live in it, then fully rent it out? I would probably get another property or rent somewhere cheap. Anyone have any experience with this?

    submitted by /u/hipchazbot
    [link] [comments]

    NYC - looking to buy a co-op - ceiling issues

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 08:08 PM PST

    I would like to make an offer on a co-op I like. However, the ceiling paint by the window is peeling and cracking. It looks like a leak. Another room had spackling done, but yellowing spots are now replacing the white spackle. The listing agent said it's probably from the heater below the ceiling, but I have a hard time believing it. I emailed the co-op board and they can't tell me who's responsibility it is to fix it. What can I do? This will be a first time home purchase.

    submitted by /u/degrom7
    [link] [comments]

    Are my parents getting scammed somehow?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 01:58 PM PST

    My parents own some land in the US, and were called out of the blue by a man claiming to be an ex-real estate agent. I don't think he has a current real estate license.

    He knows the assessor id number of the parcel and contact information, never said how he got it. His business card has no address, and he wouldn't let us keep a copy of purchase agreement. He said he has a buyer who is offering basically twice as much as the land is worth (considering estimated value on nearby lots). He never explained why they are willing to overpay so much other than the buyer will make money of the land by selling it to a group of foreigners who wish to own land in the U.S. to help with immigration in the future. He also didn't want us to talk to a lawyer, which was a red flag to me.

    So far they have written a check for $300 to an Insurance Co. for a Title Insurance and Preliminary Report.

    I am not an expert in how these types of land deals go down, does this sound kosher or...?

    submitted by /u/LakerFan2019
    [link] [comments]

    Purple Bricks

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 07:50 PM PST

    Hi all!

    I'm in Canada (Ontario) and am wondering about the realtor service Purple Bricks as I'm looking to sell my house.

    I know they only charge a flat fee instead of commission off of your sale, and they provide most things other realtors would. But what else is there about them?

    Do they provide appraisals? Inspections? What makes them different than any other realtor?

    submitted by /u/sarah_spelt_weird
    [link] [comments]

    What were the early indicators of the 2008 Housing Crisis in the US, and how relevant are international indicators today for a future crisis?

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 07:47 PM PST

    I've noticed a recent downturn in markets such as Canada and Australia, and I wonder if there's any relationship between these trends and where the US market could be heading. I don't know much about the 2008 financial crisis (beyond a lot of people getting loans that were not qualified for them), but I'm curious what the retrospective leading indicators were then, compared to indicators we're seeing today. Is there a relationship? Surely there is more than one set of issues that could bring down housing prices (e.g., a speculative crash in 2020 could be for reasons quite different than 2008).

    A few more data points: According to the St. Louis Fed, monthly housing supply peaking in October 2018 to levels not seen in 7 years. Interest rates at 10 year highs, and this is the first tax filing season with the $10k SALT cap. These external factors further increase the cost of homeownership. In aggregate, these data points don't paint a good look outlook for prices.

    submitted by /u/XyhCaSfttM
    [link] [comments]

    looking for haunted houses

    Posted: 04 Mar 2019 07:44 PM PST

    I don't believe in ghosts, and "haunted" homes sell for dirt cheap. I'm not looking to buy at the moment, but I would like to know how to even find these spooky houses.

    submitted by /u/jesallen02
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment