• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 2, 2019

    How do I deal with “I’m just looking, thanks”? Sales and Selling

    How do I deal with “I’m just looking, thanks”? Sales and Selling


    How do I deal with “I’m just looking, thanks”?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 04:45 AM PST

    My job is selling headphones, speakers and generally music equipment at a store. Most of our customers get in and generally say "I'm just looking, thanks" when I'm asking if they need help. I found that once I manage to somehow develop a conversation with them, they tell me what they're looking for, we both find a product that suits their needs, and they eventually buy it. But usually I can't get past the "I'm just looking" phase, they go through the store puzzled and leave without even asking a question. I think it's because I'm their mind I'm trying to sell them something to they instinctively close out to me, so how do I help them open up and not seem intimidating like I'm trying to sell them something?

    submitted by /u/Queadr
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone drop prospecting gifts to clients to set appointments?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 06:43 AM PST

    My company (and the last one too) has a culture of dropping off seeding products / small gifts to warmed up clients that we have researched and are proven good candidates. It's a high dollar service sell (PEO) and to start a conversation with a competitive account or especially someone unfamiliar with what we offer it's hard. It's conceptual and you are asking clients to hand over control of their entire back office, their company, their baby...

    This week I scored 2 appointments with prospects that have flat out ignored me for 6 months and finally got some attention from a few others who told me who to call back and when to catch them in renewal phase.

    I went in for the executive asst with flowering live tulips and their logo on the pot saying we "wanted to grow with them" and the ladies really liked it ($3.49 and some cutting out of their logo- not expensive stuff). They seemed much more open to speak and I think they aren't used to sales people acknowledging their existence other than to pass on a card. I then handed off a bottle of "Educated Guess" (red wine, maybe $23) to pass along to the CEO/CFO and a peice of info on us with some fresh stats on their company's of growth saying something about compliance blah blah blah on a sticky note and told them I'd call in 2 days.... set the appointments 2 days later.

    Does anyone else have methods they use to shake up prospecting and get some attention?

    After reading the book Giftology I'm looking for advice in this area. I pushed myself way out of my comfort zone but the responses we so good and it was nice leaving a smile on faces instead of being told GTFO in the nicest of ways by a gatekeeper.

    submitted by /u/Dufusbroth
    [link] [comments]

    Negative Thermometer

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 08:58 PM PST

    Coming to the end of your conversation and it's naturally wrapping up and getting towards the close and the next steps.

    Prospect is at say a 7 on a 1-10. Interested. Can or has used your service and is responding well to questioning.

    Natural tendency for me would be to hit them with a "it feels like there's enough here that we should probably get together and review our discussion today, deep dive areas we've missed and then figure out some next steps, sound good?". It's a good close and almost always hit but I felt pressure.

    So instead I revisited an old Sandler method I learned many years ago. One aspect is taking the prospects temperature to see where they're at, and the second is to be less positive than they are (always be behind the prospect).

    So prospect is a 7. But if I say I think he's a 7 he might say he's more of a 5, ouch. So I go negative

    "John, it sounds to me like there's some interest here so on a scale of 1-10, I'd probably say you're a 3, there's some interest but probably not enough to think about a follow up at this point, right?"

    "No actually I'd say I'm more an 8"

    "An 8. I misread this then I guess. Help me out (dummy up) can you explain to me what it is that's got you at an 8?"

    "I liked X, Y and Z"

    "Ok. Let's pretend we agree another meeting and at the end you say you're a 10 and you want to do business, what would you have to have seen, heard and felt for that to happen"

    No pressure. It's been working great for me and the team recently.

    submitted by /u/MiracleDealer
    [link] [comments]

    INFP looking for advice and direction...

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 12:11 AM PST

    I have taken The Myers-Briggs personality test and I'm an INFP personality type. Enneagram shows me as a 2. I'm a helper, mediator, thinker and observer. I'm also very sensitive and good at predicting others behavior. I like to watch and predict, and I like to listen more than I like to talk.

    Despite the "suggested professions for INFP's" all saying that I'm not suited to sales, marketing, etc...I love sales. I'm 47, I've had many kinds of jobs from advertising copywriter to retail manager to psychology grad student...and I currently work full time as a freelance wedding and portrait photographer. A huge element of my job is prospecting & sales. I hate both, WHEN it comes to SELLING MYSELF. But selling for others? I love it.

    At the end of last year, I decided I wanted an office job, and I took a telemarketing job. Smiling and dialing on warm leads. I only lasted a few months (photo gigs ramped up and I left) but I really liked the job. In fact, I miss the predictability and routine of it. Photography is feast or famine. Mostly famine.

    My photo business is slow as hell at the moment and now I wish I had stayed in telemarketing. I hated it at first, but after closing two sales on week 3, I was like, "I LOVE $ALES!!!!"

    Two questions:

    Are introverted INFP's suited to sales, and if so, what kind?

    I have a hell of a time selling myself (especially pricing my services properly) but I can sell someone else's widgets or service and close, close, close. If I can't sell myself, why can I sell XYZ?

    PS: This subreddit rocks. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/donavanfreberg
    [link] [comments]

    Selling at B2B expos

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 11:50 AM PST

    So I need some advice. I'm in B2B sales and I'm curious on how to improve my customer interaction. I'm not socially awkward but my teeth aren't the best looking and it makes me quite self conscious. Outside of that I feel I get glossed over - how are you doing is met with good thanks and they walk to the next booth, etc. what's a good way to rope in some people and get them trying my product and engaging with us? It is a stellar product and my coworkers do much better than me At the expos. My strength is phone and social media sales but when I'm face to face I struggle.

    submitted by /u/thepicklefactory
    [link] [comments]

    Collaborations between partners and providers

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 11:34 AM PST

    Hey everyone. My sales career so far have been with providers and I've now moved into a role at a partner. The products I'll be covering have primarily two partners. One is my old company and one is a new company for me. I know a lot of people at my old company (naturally) and can leverage quite a few people inside the organisation to get things done. To give a mental image, my old company makes the LEGO bricks, we assemble them into what the customers want (ship, castle you name it).

    I already have meetings set up this Wednesday with managers (directors and VP's) of my old company to discuss strategy moving forward and which activities I want to do for us to built a joint pipeline.

    I was hoping to gain some resources on which activities and KPI's should be placed on partner/provider collaborations for new product introductions. Preferably with already proven success from tests.

    My thoughts are already to discuss: - Joint call out campaign with Sales Development on a specific subset of customers that I would define together with the provider. - Attend conference call or sales meeting of inside sales to position my product for them to push to customers (primarily new business is driven from inside)

    Any other ideas / articles / books / seminars would be a welcomed input.

    submitted by /u/metchen
    [link] [comments]

    Would this cold calling strategy work?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 11:29 AM PST

    I've been an account manager for years. Switched companies and now spend most of my week in new business development, on the streets cold calling b2b.

    I'm consistent with having a plan every day and execute it pretty well but after a few weeks I feel like I'm back in the same areas or I burn through my daily goal list by 11am.

    Company I work for is flexible with schedule and really only interested in results. I was thinking maybe if I drove for Uber/Lyft while cold calling I would generate more leads. Not necessarily soliciting passengers all day, but perhaps using it as a tool to drive into new areas or potentially having the passenger as a warm lead/intro to a DM.

    The bonus cash wouldn't be terrible, but not my main goal. Anyone ever do anything like this or have a suggestion to tweak my idea?

    Thanks,

    submitted by /u/syverso3
    [link] [comments]

    How many calls should I be aiming for a day?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 10:18 AM PST

    I'm a recently employed business development manager for a small cybersecurity firm. As of right now, we have no outside sales strategy - and so I've decided prospecting calls will be the best way to get everything started.

    I started last week using the "smart calling" system by Art Sobczek but now I'm spending too much time on researching companies and not enough time calling, and I wanted to know the best balance.

    So how many calls should I be aiming for per day to start growing my territory, and where should I be fitting in research time on the companies I want to call?

    submitted by /u/TheFuriousRaccoon
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone switch from Sales career to a Sales Ops/Business Analyst/etc role?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 10:10 AM PST

    I love this community guys, but I may be at my wits end working for start ups and constantly looking over my shoulder due to crazy aggressive expectations and lack of patience.

    I'm currently staring down the barrel or a 2 week PIP only 6 months into a brand new industry/career. Looks like I may not be long for the sales world (think end of March).

    Despite activity, funnel progression and the right metrics...sometimes you just get kicked in the teeth.

    So I've been thinking of trying to find another role in a legit company for Sales Ops or something like that. I'm a giant process guy and I've led some extremely successful teams. I love helping sales guys make sales - it just might be time for me to hang up my boots in the personal sales arena.

    Has anyone made the transition to something like that? Any ideas or words of advice?

    submitted by /u/lent12
    [link] [comments]

    Have any of you in SaaS sales considered starting and selling a SaaS solution to solve a problem in your industry as a side hustle?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 10:09 AM PST

    Would love to hear how it went!

    submitted by /u/careerthrowaway10
    [link] [comments]

    Should I visit in person?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 09:56 AM PST

    I had an interview this past Wednesday for a sales job, and it went very well. He said he'd let me know yesterday if I had it. I called him Friday afternoon, and he still had one more interview to do and he'd call me after. It's now the next day and I don't know if I should call him again, go and visit the office, or wait to hear from him.

    Looking for some advice.

    submitted by /u/PunctualDots
    [link] [comments]

    My company is witholding spiffs

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 09:20 AM PST

    I work full commission sales at a major appliance electronics and Furnitute store. It has come to my attention that their are spiffs that are supposed to be payed directly to the sales consultants on cwrtain merchandise like tvs and fridges. The company I work for is called Conns Home Appliances and they are withholding spiffs frpm samsung lg and whirlpool and keeping them. I work hard at mt job, I come in on my off days , I come in early 3 days out of the week to call leads and the highest paychwck i received after taxes is 1700 dollars foe two weeks of work and that was around christmas time. It hurts that their doing this. Our goal is 70,000 a month in sales and i sell on average 80 to 100,000 thousand in merchandise.

    Is what their doing legal? What do I do about if its not legal? Who do i call to and what arw my options? It frustrates me so much that I work so hard and they dont care at all.

    submitted by /u/airjones1
    [link] [comments]

    Need help from organized highly transactional AE's

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 09:08 AM PST

    I'm currently working a full cycle sales desk: Cold call and set for myself, while demoing and closing deals.

    The first couple months weren't too bad because I was terrible and therefore didn't have much to manage. Recently I've gotten the hang of it and now I need systems to streamline my account/opportunity management. We work out of salesforce and manage prospects that have been demoed as opportunities.

    I don't find this to be very efficient when managing 40-50 opps, making 80-100 calls and 1-2 hour long demos a day.

    Does anyone out there use tools like trello to manage them/having any advice on making this more effecieint for myself?

    submitted by /u/this_one_is_for_work
    [link] [comments]

    Those that work from home using VoIP: How much disturbances do you have on the sound quality of your calls?

    Posted: 02 Mar 2019 03:19 AM PST

    I tried working for two weeks at a job as an account manager (doing cold calls) and they allowed me to work from home using their VoIP software (well, a third party software which this company uses) called Crazy Call. I don't know for certain if the problem was caused by Crazy Call or not but my boss said that I'm the only one who's having problems with VoIP.

    The problem is that a large amount of people I call, can barely hear me, even if I call them back again, or if I call them on the land line instead, it doesn't matter, they still will just barely hear me until I call them from my own personal cell phone, then all is good suddenly.

    It's not always like this, some people I call with VoIP can hear me just fine.

    But it's a big enough amount of people I have these technical difficulties calling, that it just ruins my chances at being successful at this job. So, I just quit the job after trying for 2 weeks to fix VoIP.

    I've been coming back to trying to solve this problem every now and again, because I really would love working from home doing phone sales, but I don't know how to fix these technical problems.

    I actually tried to work in a local office because I couldn't work form home, but they were kind of having problems as well with their VoIP (not crazy call, don't remember the name of their software). My boss just told me to speak louder, so I spoke louder, then they tell me to speak even louder, and I speak even louder, and then they tell me to speak even louder again, then I was basically shouting in the microphone, people can most likely hear me from the floors above and below our office.. and I had to shout in the microphone all day, then I quit that job as well after a few more days. Funny thing is that I actually made a sale though during those days I was shouting in the microphone.

    submitted by /u/FrostyFun
    [link] [comments]

    How long do you feel you can generally talk over the phone uninterrupted without losing a hot leads attention? Alternatively, how long should your pitch be?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 11:50 PM PST

    I'm about to start marketing my web design and marketing consultation services again, and for the first time I wrote what I feel is a nice little script.. These are inbound, hot leads that are usually ready to close. But when I time myself, my "pitch" where I go over an example of my work and explain the advantages of working with me comes in at just under 4 minutes.

    Is this too long? The pitch will come after a few minutes of rapport, asking the client to share their goals and vision of their business with me, and then I'll ask if they'd like me to tell them a bit about what I do. I direct them to the best piece of work in my portfolio, and start talking.

    So, is 4 minutes too long? Should I break it up somehow? Right now its like two minutes of "strategies used with this xclient.com" and then one minute thirty seconds of "this is how/why those strategies set me apart and make me the best choice." I'm not sure how to break in between to get the client talking again, then take the reins back, or if that's even really necessary. Thanks

    submitted by /u/WakeExperience
    [link] [comments]

    How do you get into medical device sales / pharmaceutical sales? Is it worth it?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 03:33 PM PST

    I've been searching Reddit and r/sales for a while as i'm planning a career switch this summer and would love some advice.

    I'm currently 28 years old and have been teaching high school for the past 5 years. I have a bachelor of science and a masters degree (education). I like to believe I have great people skills, a keen attention to detail, and thick skin. I work multiple internal jobs at my school to make extra money, so hard work and extra long hours isn't a big deal to me. My wife works in the medical field and I'm always fascinated by her and her friends stories of the ER/OR. I've done research and medical device (ortho/spine) seems the most interesting to me. My biggest concern about this career switch, and getting into sales in general, is my lack of sales experience. And and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Lostwoody
    [link] [comments]

    Is it time to go?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 10:54 PM PST

    I'm an inside sales rep with 9 years experience. I was at my first and most recent sales job for 8 of those years.

    Went from warm inbound leads at a telecom company to being responsible for my own lead generation through closing for a marketing firm for manufacturers selling Direct to consumer on Amazon. (Not wholesale but D2C over the platform only, pretty narrow prospect base.)

    We charge a 1k+ base fee plus 5% gross amazon revenue unless sales are over 50k a month, then the % goes down. Most competitors don't charge gross rev %, just growth % or a flat rate.

    The company just set a new higher quota and cut commission in half relative to my initial offer.

    I was feeling frustrated before but now I'm working harder than ever and feel like I'm getting nowhere. My ideas about prospecting email automation are falling on deaf ears too.

    Should I stick it out to a year, leave now, or is the problem me and I need an attitude adjustment? AMA, I really just need guidance. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/JenReborn
    [link] [comments]

    What’s wrong with my email?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 01:01 PM PST

    https://imgur.com/gallery/2g8CJLD

    The subject line is About <company name>. (example: About Victory Insurance.)

    I send 100 emails and I get 4-5 replies at the very initial outreach, it adds another 5 on the next follow up, and at the third too. All negative.

    I target strictly insurance CEOs and presidents, and all the replies that I do get are negative (remove me from your list, not interested, etc)

    My goal in this campaign is to get them on a call.

    I used to be in the "it's a numbers game" clan, but fuck that, it's a problem because I'm burning through leads and it gets harder to find qualified leads every time I sit on my chair and start prospecting.

    Can anyone provide some honest critique?

    submitted by /u/nehardElhidine
    [link] [comments]

    SDR - How To Know Who To E-Mail and Who To Call?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 01:23 PM PST

    Hey all,

    I got tons of awesome feedback yesterday on my last post, so to start I wanted to say thank you for that.

    For my current position, we call large enterprises (IT department), and focus on decision makers. I have over 1.4k contacts.

    Right now I'm just calling going up the list, without a system. We weren't told much about emailing, but I hate just not contacting someone for days after one call.

    How do you segment a list like this? Focus on certain accounts per week?

    Also - I see a lot on cold emailing. How do you know who you should email, and who to call?

    submitted by /u/GoldFeeling
    [link] [comments]

    Computers / Laptops for Sales Reps

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 01:33 PM PST

    Hey all,

    Currently I have my reps working on chromebooks. This has always worked but we recently implemented Outreach. It seems that the chromebooks may not have enough processor power (at least the current ones).

    As you know - most sales reps work in a browser - email, linkedin, etc.

    Sales Reps also tend to be rough on computers.

    I am trying not to spend 1k on a surface or macbook for sales reps. What are you guys using - looking for people using things like outreach, etc.

    If you are unfamiliar, outreach has a built in phone dialer as well as tasks, etc.

    submitted by /u/jpo183
    [link] [comments]

    Do I have enough experience to move forward in sales?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 05:18 PM PST

    Currently attending college for general business administration. I also started working as a door to door sales rep for Trugreen lawn exactly 1 year ago March 12. We must hit various metrics such as 10 sales a week, payment capture, sales mix etc. I sucked at first but plucked on, ended up getting top 50 in my region on week. Also this year I was promoted to field sales supervisor. I hit my metrics 90% of the time (not this week though). You must hit 2,500 in net revenue to earn commissions. I hit most weeks last year but the most I received was 167$ on 5,467$ revenue. I was ok with it because it is my first sales job, but this year I know im good. I will make way more than I did last year in commission but I dont know if it is worth it. Do I have the experience to achieve a more successful salea job? Or should I keep my head down close my eyes and suck it up. Thanks for any replys - sorry for format. Wrote off my phone in between calls.

    submitted by /u/matthew578848317
    [link] [comments]

    Best approach to LinkedIn outreach

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 02:38 PM PST

    I work for an online technology training company and was wondering what is the best approach to reach out to technology leaders and heads of L&D in the companies that I have in my territory. I have LinkedIn Premium and found Inmails to get a very poor response, most of them are left pending. I have been getting a decent response from sending notes with my connection requests but none of them are too interested in what I am saying. Here is my message:

    "Hi XXX I hope you don't mind me messaging. I'm working with the tech training company XXX and was hoping to learn a bit more about how the tech staff at XXX are trained to see if we can help with their ongoing skills development. Would you be free to discuss this?"

    I think the fact that I am just adding them with this note comes across as annoying and spammy, our product is great and we would be up there as a market leader. I have made a list in Navigator of saved leads, should I connect with them all, wait a bit and then hit them with the message? Or should I connect with them, like their stuff for a bit and then reach out? I see huge value in LinkedIn and want to be able to leverage it properly.

    Thanks for any help with this!

    submitted by /u/StraightStar
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment