• Breaking News

    Monday, March 25, 2019

    Daily advice thread. All questions about your personal situation should be asked here Investing

    Daily advice thread. All questions about your personal situation should be asked here Investing


    Daily advice thread. All questions about your personal situation should be asked here

    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 05:14 AM PDT

    If your question is "I have $10,000, what do I do?" or other "advice for my personal situation" questions. If you are going to ask how to invest you should include relevant information, such as the following:

    • How old are you?
    • Are you employed/making income? How much?
    • What are your objectives with this money? (buy a house? Retirement savings?)
    • What is your risk tolerance? (Do you mind risking it at blackjack or do you need to know its 100% safe?)
    • What are you current holdings? (Do you already have exposure to specific funds and sectors?)
    • Any other assets? House paid off? Cars? Expensive significant other?
    • What is your time horizon? Do you need this money next month? Next 20yrs?
    • Any big debts?
    • Any other relevant financial information will be useful to give you a proper answer.

    Be aware that these answers are just opinions of Redditors and should be used as a starting point for your research. You should strongly consider seeing a registered financial rep before making any financial decisions!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    As a human with a naturally low risk tolerance, I'm constantly surprised at how much of my investing strategy is about managing my emotions.

    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 01:05 PM PDT

    I started investing small sums of money in my mid-20's. We're talking a few thousand here, a few thousand there. I really enjoyed researching and picking who I thought the winners and losers would be, but the outcomes showed I was really just gambling and my "research" was about as in-depth as picking numbers off a roulette wheel.

    Once my investments got into the $10,000+ range, I was gambling with more money than I was comfortable with and started to move into ETFs like VTI. I really thought this would make my life easier, and the results have been much more predictable and stable. But damn, I still stress over timing in a completely illogical way. I'm now in my mid-30s and have quite a bit more invested over the years in relatively conservative ways with results I'm quite happy with... but I'm telling you, I still stress over every buy and these 1% or 2% daily swings. I know it doesn't matter. I know the math is in my favor. I still stress because that's who I am.

    I don't have a question. This is merely a cathartic post. I also want to say that I really enjoy the discussions here on /r/investing, even though I think you're all crazy for doing anything other than investing into a broad ETF.

    submitted by /u/elmuchoprez
    [link] [comments]

    3x etfs for grandma? NY help please

    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 06:03 PM PDT

    Just saw grandma's statement. She lost 90% of what she put in. My estimate is lost 1/4 million over the last 10 years. Portfolio had 3x leveraged etfs, weird minerals, and Disney? This portfolio looks whackadoo, looks risky and stupid to me, but I'm a novice at best. What can I do? What kind of attorney/ professional do I need and does anyone on Long Island or NYC have recommendations. The broker who was managing grandma's account died and I think nobody took over or that guy had gone senile/ generally not doing any management for years. Grandma is an incredibly risk averse person, would never have consented to 3x ETFs, let alone have any clue what they are. All help welcome. Please point me in the right direction. What other info do I need? Who do I bring this to?

    submitted by /u/limeyslimey
    [link] [comments]

    Bank stocks make up 40% of Warren Buffett's portfolio

    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 12:00 PM PDT

    More than 40% of Warren Buffett's portfolio consists of bank/lending stocks like WFC, BAC, etc. The exact breakdown is here.

    With many bank stocks falling recently, anyone buying on the dips? Several pay a nice dividend so a long term investment seems tempting here. I know interest rates are a concern and spreads are tight, but in this economy borrowing volume should still be good.

    submitted by /u/Welen
    [link] [comments]

    Why is JPM rapidly declining?

    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 07:26 AM PDT

    Just got a new job. Saving 85% of my Paycheck.

    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 10:43 PM PDT

    Are stocks too expensive right now? Should I put my cash aside in HYSA and wait on the sidelines?

    submitted by /u/tonythetigerisme
    [link] [comments]

    The Bogleheads’ Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio by Four Pillar Freedom

    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 07:23 AM PDT

    Sharing this interesting article I found with the community, it will really help those looking to set up a 2 or 3 fund portfolio.

    https://fourpillarfreedom.com/the-bogleheads-guide-to-the-three-fund-portfolio/

    submitted by /u/victorfigol
    [link] [comments]

    What should I look for before investing into an ETF?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 02:22 AM PDT

    Before investing into any ETF what are somethings I should look at or be aware of before investing? Should this include the management fee? Should I look at the sector it follows?

    submitted by /u/14lopez
    [link] [comments]

    Im gonna invest, what should I invest in?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 03:13 AM PDT

    Hello, i'm 15 and I live in sweden. Here we can invest our own money into stocks aslong as our parents allow us to do so. In a few months i'm gonna invest around 1k-1.5k dollars but I just don't know what to invest in. I have a discord friend that is 16 and he lives in US that started with 1k and he is now at 70k. He told me that tech is high risk high reward and that cannabis is a stable and easy profit stock. Problem is that cannabis is illegal here and I dont know what im supposed to look for in tech, any help is nice! And if you have any other suggestions to what to invest in that would be nice to!

    submitted by /u/superkolan
    [link] [comments]

    [Serious] I will be selling my house soon and need advice on where to park the money.

    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 09:13 PM PDT

    I will be selling my house in a few months and will be getting around $300,000 for it. I am fairly risk adverse when we are talking about a very significant portion of my net worth and don't want to lose any sleep over it. Right now I am thinking about just putting it in the Vanguard Federal Money Market Fund (VMFXX) and make ~2.30% on it. I don't want to buy bonds since long-term interest rates are basically the same as short-term rates right now and are most likely going to go up in the near future. I don't want to put it in an index stock fund since I might need it in a few years to buy another house. If I had 20 years to wait, then I would probably put it in stocks, but for now I am leaning towards just putting it in a safe money market fund or possibly a CD. What are your thoughts?

    submitted by /u/smoothie4564
    [link] [comments]

    Is the Former Enron CEO Mulling a Crypto Stint? Probably Not

    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 11:16 PM PDT

    Former Enron CEO, Jeffrey Skilling is reportedly in talks with several ex-colleagues to find his way back into the energy business. However, contrary to reports stating that Skilling is poised to enter the cryptocurrency industry, sources close to CNBC report that the high-profile business tycoon hasn't made taken a decision yet.

    https://blockchainreporter.net/2019/03/24/cryptocurrency-news-enron-ceo-jeffrey-skilling/

    submitted by /u/grittygatorr
    [link] [comments]

    Investing- It’s never too early to start and it’s never too late to stop!

    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 04:11 AM PDT

    It's a thread about sharing your story.

    When did you start saving and investing? And if you are at the other end, what drives you to save and invest even today?

    I will share one example - the sage of Omaha - started with 10k at age 19, and made 90% of his wealth after age 60

    meanreversion.org

    submitted by /u/JasCha321
    [link] [comments]

    What is the Motley Fool ''One Stock for the Coming Maruijuana Boom''?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 04:09 AM PDT

    See title, users who browse motley fool have probably already seen this advertisement which they use to get people to sign up for Stock Adviser. I started wondering what this one stock is. Does anyone know?

    submitted by /u/timobouwerz
    [link] [comments]

    Freetrade - how safe is my money?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 03:34 AM PDT

    Hi Guys,

    I've currently got 20k with freetrade in an ISA. I'm going to add another 20k when the new tax year begins. I'm hoping to keep doing this every year. I understand they are protected by the FSCS.

    If I keep less than £85k in cash with them and invest the rest in ETFs, am I safe?

    At the moment every month I buy £1-2k in Vanguard FTSE all world. Does Vanguard also have £85k of protection if they default? Obviously I have a lot more faith in Vanguard than Freetrade!

    submitted by /u/wigl301
    [link] [comments]

    What caused stock prices to be so low in december

    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 03:30 AM PDT

    title?

    submitted by /u/getalihfe
    [link] [comments]

    Golden Visa Investment scheme. Low risk or a good opportunity?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 03:14 AM PDT

    The Portuguese golden visa investment scheme is an interesting way of getting property, and a EU residency. Low risk is my opinion.

    submitted by /u/premier_doc
    [link] [comments]

    Investing in a house for my and my roommates

    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 07:16 AM PDT

    I live in a medium sized, growing city. I want to buy a house for me and my 4 roommates to live. They would be my Tennants, paying off nearly my whole monthly mortgage. I wouldn't struggle to fill their rooms if they need to leave. My job situation is comfortable but nothing amazing. I could find a new job within a month if I ever needed to.

    I want to get this house purely for the investment. As I think about it, the risk seems low but it seems like such a large move.

    Are there pros/cons I'm not thinking about? Can anyone share similar experiences?

    submitted by /u/icu_elevator
    [link] [comments]

    Who controls the pricing of the treasury yields?

    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 04:20 AM PDT

    This question come from wanting to know more how treasury bonds work.

    This week the yield curve went relatively flat. My question is really about how much the government has to say on the yields vs what the market does.

    submitted by /u/so_thats_what
    [link] [comments]

    'Flashing amber': stocks tumble as bond markets sound US recession warning

    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 12:53 AM PDT

    https://www.smh.com.au/business/markets/flashing-amber-stocks-tumble-as-bond-markets-sound-us-recession-warning-20190325-p517d0.html

    Article by Reuters, some key points:

    Australia's S&P/ASX 200 index fell 1.1 per cent on Monday to the lowest level in five weeks and wiped $20.2 billion off the value of the stock market. The financial and mining sectors contributed the most to the decline, while energy and information technology indices also suffered significant falls.

    US stocks futures fell and MSCI's broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan dropped 1.4 per cent to a one-week trough in a broad sell-off in equities in the region.

    Japan's Nikkei tumbled 3.2 per cent to the lowest in two weeks and South Korea's Kospi index declined 1.6 per cent.

    Australia's market opened at 6195 points and within 15 minutes plummeted to 6130 to catch up with Wall Street's negative sentiment. Chinese shares also declined with the blue-chip CSI 300 index down 0.8 per cent.

    submitted by /u/nyunaii
    [link] [comments]

    Bond ETF alternative for europe

    Posted: 25 Mar 2019 12:06 AM PDT

    Hello guys, is there something similar to SPDR Blmbg Barclays 1-3 Mth T-Bill ETF (BIL) for investor from europe? Can be US but doesnt have to be.

    submitted by /u/Carfo6
    [link] [comments]

    What’s a good bank with high CD Rates?

    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 10:25 AM PDT

    Need a bank with good cd rates. Any help would be appreciated

    submitted by /u/lukediebold321
    [link] [comments]

    What do you use for stocks portfolio tracker?

    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 07:17 AM PDT

    What do you guys use to track your stock portfolio and compare to indexes, add notes and your research. I tried many different tracking, for example Personal Capital. Issue there is that it thinks you always had the stock you just purchased and it counted 20% drop in the past however I did not have the stock back then. Sigfig is very close but still shows day change based on stock drop and not my price.

    I also want to do a research and add some notes to keep it in watchlist. Also price I would like to buy at or sell. Combine my accounts into one list of stocks with % allocation

    Or everyone uses excel? ( I currently use excel )

    submitted by /u/simplewhite1
    [link] [comments]

    $500 in a brokerage account. No idea where to start off.

    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 10:02 PM PDT

    r/personalfinace suggested I try out my post here so here it is:

    I wanted to try my hand at the stock market for fun and now have $500 in a Schwab account. Problem is I don't really know shit about investing and when I tried to start looking where I could learn it got pretty overwhelming quickly. Right now in the meantime I am just browsing some of motley fools free resources.

    Essentially what I am looking for are 2 things:

    1) Good articles to start me off on the very basics of the stock market and making educated decisions in it

    2) Good, reliable investment advice sites to help me make a decision on what my first stock should be

    submitted by /u/end_amd_abuse
    [link] [comments]

    Market advice

    Posted: 24 Mar 2019 09:57 PM PDT

    So this last year has been an odd one. I came out of the year with the same amount I went in. Every financial advisor says that the average is 10% but I have never seen a year so far that goes beyond 8-9%. I have two separate retirement accounts with different companies (one that was willed and one with my work). Currently have just around 100k invested at 28 years old. How long do I have to wait until I start seeing relatively normal 10% a year returns? Am I investing in the wrong funds? I will one day have a pension so this is all extra money but I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.

    Thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/boron32
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment