• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 28, 2019

    Accounting Me barely reaching the 60 chargeable hours goal

    Accounting Me barely reaching the 60 chargeable hours goal


    Me barely reaching the 60 chargeable hours goal

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 07:33 AM PDT

    Almost graduating in accounting, such a positive outlook

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 02:34 PM PDT

    When you’ve been at your internship for 3 months and there’s still no black tar heroin

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 07:37 PM PDT

    Goodbye Accounting

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 08:33 PM PDT

    I guess I studied Accounting in college only because I didn't know what else to study. It was a safe major and the jobs were plentiful. However, I never really enjoyed it. I didn't network at all for an internship in school, so when I graduated I chose the first job that fell in my lap. I was an invoicing clerk at a very large company, which was basically a glorified data entry job. The money was good at the time so I just accepted it and did my job everyday. I did that for 4 years before I realized that my job was meaningless, and that I had no discernible skills besides working with invoices and double checking whether they were correct. I had a nervous breakdown and cursed my old self for choosing a major that I had no passion in.

    So I quit my job. I was staying with my folks so I had some savings to live off of, and I spent the past year studying things I was interested in, such as data. I took a SQL course on Udemy and loved it. I learned about relational databases, and practiced drawing E-R diagrams because it was fun. I was good with Excel, but I didn't know VBA, so I taught myself that as well. I also practiced using Tableau which I found to be pretty damn cool.

    It's been a long road, and I have experienced many rejections which have made me doubt myself. I would be on the verge of tears whenever I was laying in bed and had to think about my future.

    But tonight, I feel that it was all worth it. After countless interviews, I was offered a position as a Jr. Data Analyst. It's heavy on Excel, SQL, and possibly coding. The interviewer just seemed really impressed by my willingness to learn, and I also answered all of the technical questions correctly. I just can't believe that I'm in this position right now... and I'm so grateful for it.

    submitted by /u/tomphz
    [link] [comments]

    When 1 question evolves into a 20 question game

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 04:24 PM PDT

    Reddit geniuses shocked that financial statements include disclaimer stating compilations aren’t audited.

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 08:15 PM PDT

    Someone needs to tighten up procurement and AP controls...

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 08:29 PM PDT

    No Extension for This Deadline

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 02:06 PM PDT

    A response to a recent post...

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 07:55 PM PDT

    Meme

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 08:23 AM PDT

    /r/Politics Weighs in on Compilation Reports

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 04:52 PM PDT

    Just feeling down

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 06:49 PM PDT

    I'm brand new (three months in) to my first accounting job, I'm at a small regional (100 employees at six locations) firm doing audit. I was recently assigned a review of a construction company, my first review of a client with a job schedule. The partner was in a huge rush to get it out the door and one morning a few days ago said "print me four copies so I can take them to the client." I said they hadn't been reviewed yet by my manager and he said "it's ok, it's just a draft."

    Yesterday the CFO sent them back with many revisions needed and the partner spent two hours in my office with me this morning fixing the job schedule, which I had made some pretty big errors on. He didn't yell, but he was obviously furious and kept asking me why I had done this or that. Honestly I'm just trying to keep my head above water at this point and if I ask for help my manager tells me to go look at this or that so I'm left just reverse engineering other people's work most of the time. Then my work gets shoved out the door without even a cursory review. Of course it's wrong, I have no clue what I'm doing most of the time!

    It just feels really bad that I'm kind of floundering around and then get thrown to the wolves like that.

    I hope everyone else's day was better.

    submitted by /u/iamwhoiamnow
    [link] [comments]

    Audit vs. Tax Exit Opportunities

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 05:57 PM PDT

    I'm currently an accounting student trying to decide between audit and tax (wow so original). I've interned in an accounting department and found I wasn't as interested in corporate accounting, and I found my forensic accounting internship very interesting. I've been leaning towards tax for my last internship/potential first job, but am unsure about the types of exit opportunities available. I feel like audit tends to be normal corporate accounting exit opps, but don't really know what people do with tax if they leave public.

    submitted by /u/natyak9
    [link] [comments]

    I have a mental disability

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 06:53 PM PDT

    whatup lads,

    let me be completely transparent here, im fuckin retarded. I am a recent graduate, whos been working at a small public accounting firm, and its my first busy season. I suck at EVERYTHING. I really feel like I retained 0 information from my time at university. The intern knows more about preparing personal taxes than me. I make small mistakes consistently and every time I notice one I die a little on the inside. I want to do well and understand why im doing what im doing but by the time I get home I have the option to go on reddit for an hour or try and learn more about tax. Im a piece of shit so obviously I choose reddit.

    Im probably going to get fired soon, I wish I payed attention in university, I dont even know if I had a point with this post. /endrant

    submitted by /u/throwawaymylife__
    [link] [comments]

    How do you know if you are being pushed out of a public accounting firm?

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 05:56 PM PDT

    I feel like I'm being pushed out of the mid-size accounting firm where I work. I've been staff accountant for almost 4 years and have seen people who started after me get promoted before me. I think this is mostly due to promotions being very political. When I've asked for feedback on how to improve and how I can get promoted I get vague answers and don't see a clear path forward. On top of that, I was recently put into another department. Management made it seem like it was my choice and I felt they presented it to me that if I took the job, I was going to get a promotion. My current boss has been quite difficult to work with. He's the most disorganized person I've had to work with to be so experienced. And besides the partner, he and I are the only people in the department. I later found out from a friend of mine that the department I'm in now is where the firm puts people they don't want to deal with anymore. He did stipulate that this statement was related to a different project within the same department. I'm looking for a job anyway because I don't like my boss, but I'm just wondering how being pushed out looks like and how long it normally lasts?

    TL;DR, I think my firm is pushing me out, but not sure what it looks like. If you've been pushed out, please share your story with me.

    submitted by /u/labelle15
    [link] [comments]

    the ledger of ancient Egypt ����

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 08:55 AM PDT

    Public Accounting

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 02:48 PM PDT

    Feel like I'm miserable in audit. I think all of the task I have done can be done by someone with ZERO accounting experience. Is this normal in audit for the first couple of years? Even the work the senior does on the job feels like it can be done by someone with very little knowledge of accounting. I've been asking to switch to tax but they just keep saying they will and never do.

    submitted by /u/TheYoungDraco
    [link] [comments]

    Question on CPA with dementia

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 07:24 PM PDT

    Not sure if this is the right community to ask, feel free to correct me if I shouldn't post here!

    TL;DR: is my CPA father liable for tax return errors made due to dementia? Can he lose his license, or worse be sued?

    My father is a self-employed CPA, has done great work for 30+ years but unfortunately is at the beginning of dementia and it's starting to affect his work. Family is starting to organize assistance for him, getting ready to file for disability this year, etc. but in the meantime he is still practicing. We will do what is necessary to help but HE wants to work. He admitted at least one of his clients has fired him, after the IRS contacted them with owed balances due to tax return errors.

    I have spent some time online trying to figure this out but all I see is he can lose his license if he knowingly files a return wrong or doesn't file returns at all. Obviously ethically he should stop working now, or have someone check his work, because his clients are entitled to error-free returns, but I can't force him to do this... I'm worried in the few months it may take us and his doctors to convince him he's got to stop that he could make a huge error and be held legally/financially liable for this.

    submitted by /u/QuestionyQuestiony
    [link] [comments]

    Quitting B4 - Cashing Out PTO

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 09:15 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm turning in my 2 week notice for the Big 4 firm I work for. For those who have gone through the offboarding process, do you get paid out ALL PTO accrued, including rollover days? When do you actually receive the deposit? Is it with your last payslip or a separate check?

    submitted by /u/starbs2581
    [link] [comments]

    What the hell even is a tax loophole

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 02:18 PM PDT

    Im still a student majoring in account and have 3 semesters left of undergrad but I really cant stand hearing how companies like amazon use "tax loopholes" to take advantage of the system.

    I have an open mind, so if anyone can explain to me what exactly a tax loophole is im all ears. But I just thought for the most part there were adjustments to income/deductions from agi/credits. Is using the word tax loophole just another word for saying a company or person basically takes advantage of the tax system in the best/legal way??

    submitted by /u/Popcornsr
    [link] [comments]

    I got on PIP Today

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 04:25 PM PDT

    They basically said my attendance is excessive during busy season. I missed a day last week because my blood sugar was too low. I'm a diabetic. I also missed a day this week for the same thing. I admit I haven't been eating regularly cuz I'm stressed and working my ass off. They said my performance is excellent but my attendance. So basically I've been put on PIP cuz I'm a diabetic. I asked for reasonable accommodation for flexible schedule or work at home due to my diabetes if a sugar low strikes they said they can't make that accommodation because the needs of the partner requires me to be physically present to do my job. I work in tax. I've had it with public accounting. I should put my MIS degree to use and become a data analyst.

    submitted by /u/Pigglewiggy
    [link] [comments]

    What is your job like as an external auditor?

    Posted: 28 Mar 2019 07:21 PM PDT

    Applying for a job in a public firm with a focus on governments and NFPs. Been in a small CPA firm for a couple years with most of my work being in tax and bookkeeping.

    How much lube should I stock up on?

    submitted by /u/mynameismatt1010
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment