• Breaking News

    Friday, March 1, 2019

    Accomplishments and Lesson Learned Friday! - (March 01, 2019) Entrepreneur

    Accomplishments and Lesson Learned Friday! - (March 01, 2019) Entrepreneur


    Accomplishments and Lesson Learned Friday! - (March 01, 2019)

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 05:16 AM PST

    Please use this thread to share any accomplishment you care to gloat about, and some lessons learned.

    This is a weekly thread to encourage new members to participate, and post their accomplishments, as well as give the veterans an opportunity to inspire the up-and-comers.

    Since this thread can fill up quickly, consider sorting the comments by "new" (instead of "best" or "top") to see the newest posts.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Running a very successful rage room?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 09:49 PM PST

    About 4 months I opened a "rage room" in my city Rochester, NY called Smash Therapy. A rage room is where people go to break things in a controlled environment for entertainment or stress relief.

    I'm only 22 and this all seems pretty crazy to me how much we have been blowing up. We recently had a week with 51 bookings in 4 days. Maybe it's just the initial hype of something new and exciting in the area. Who knows. But, the amount of business we get is actually insane for this sort of thing.

    Our website isn't the greatest. We don't even have an overheard sign yet. (In the process of getting one.) Personally, I had basically no experience running a business at all prior to this.

    There are some simple reasons I believe why my place seems to do much better than other rage rooms. The facility itself is quite nice. Multiple rage rooms (including a larger room that can accommodate up to 5), TVs, complimentary water and snacks in a family friendly area. Based on my previous research, lots of these kind of places are in warehouses or somewhere that seems unappealing. Usually around 500-800 sq feet with one rage room and a tiny lobby.

    Another reason I believe we're doing well is our prices, times and items we give out to break are leagues better than most other "rage rooms." I would challenge you to find somewhere that gives a better bang for your buck than we do.

    During my initial research, I found that lower rates drew in more customers which would make up for the shortage in price. My goal was to have each and every customer that booked a room have a blast for an honest price. It worked. You can seriously come here for $20 and have an amazing time.

    Rage rooms have been trending quite a bit in the last few years. One can be found in almost every major city across the US by now. The idea for most entrepreneurs is they get stuff for dirt cheap, and then charge WAY more for huge margins.

    This is true, being an owner/operator myself. The margins for us are 90-95%.

    Other expenses include:

    -Rent -utilities -insurance -marketing -waste disposal -internet/phone/TV -payroll -occasional gear/tool replacement

    It's not too much as you can see.

    I remember before I even opened, my father said "All I've seen and heard is stories of rage rooms closing and failing. Where's all the success stories?" Maybe I'll be one of the first, I thought.

    Things have been going so well. I've been absolutely working my ass off with this business. I can only hope this success continues and we grow even further.

    EDIT: Sorry for the confusing statement regarding margins above. The cost of goods for each room was what I was referring to. Not the overall profit after all other expenses.

    submitted by /u/dirtrider19
    [link] [comments]

    Is anybody graduating this spring and wants to start a business instead of going into the workforce?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 10:57 AM PST

    Looking to maybe get a group of hungry driven and ambitious individuals and start a business, startup, company, any venture really. Just want to do something big with a group of people and have fun with it?

    submitted by /u/funkylilrapname
    [link] [comments]

    What Is It Like To Be An Entrepreneur?

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 09:17 PM PST

    So one of my really close friend wrote this and I thought I would share this here.

    Let me know what you think?

    https://truso.co/story/what-its-like-to-be-an-entrepreneur

    submitted by /u/et-nad
    [link] [comments]

    Facebook Ad Marketing Question

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 01:44 PM PST

    Hey guys,

    I am planning a Facebook ad campaign for an event. I was wondering if anyone could offer light into what I could expect with this. I am putting on a Stand Up Comedy Show (Solid marketing and branding) in a pretty densely populated area. I ran a marketing campaign on Facebook already which only cost me 24 cents per page like. But I wanted to ask thoughts from anyone who has run a similar campaign, what could I expect for this-

    Comedy show, ticket prices would be $12-15 in a fairly nice theater. What would I end up paying per ticket sold as an guess? I want to determine if it is viable. Obviously, if I am paying Facebook $2.00 or something per ticket sold, that would be great. But if I am paying something like $8.00 in ads per ticket sold, I need a new plan. Can anyone shed some light onto what numbers I could expect from something like this?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/TrentJComedy
    [link] [comments]

    Passive income

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 01:36 PM PST

    Hey, I wanted to know how much effort it would take to rent out an office space. That and appt buildings. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Mysteriousman109
    [link] [comments]

    Entrepreneurship opportunity for visually impaired - Vending Machines

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 09:41 AM PST

    I was offered placement in a program through my state's Opportunities for the Disabled. I'm legally blind and as the title mentioned, its basically bidding on vending machine contracts in state owned facilities. College campuses and government buildings. I have a general idea of the operation of the business, but it's been described as "lucrative" because I could acquire multiple bids and build out from there.

    Im looking for advice from people familiar with this type of business. What are the down sides? Is it as lucrative as it sounds?

    I appreciate any help! Thanks.

    submitted by /u/I_see_butnotreally
    [link] [comments]

    How do I begin to increase the amount of customers I have at once?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 01:10 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I've been freelance developing websites/apps for about 2 years now with great results. I love it, my customers love me, etc. I'm now trying to build something a bit bigger out of it, I want to be an owner not an operator and I finally figured out how!

    Cue my problem, since I'd be making less per project, I now need a lot more projects. I'm no stranger to selling but I still do everything I did as a freelancer + a couple people that come to me from referrals, and it's not quite enough to build a company out of.

    What do I do now to hit the next level? Do I need to run ads? Social media? I literally have no idea. I'm a developer not a marketer, how do other small businesses attract their customers? I can do it fine as a small time freelancer but now I need more.

    submitted by /u/durantt0
    [link] [comments]

    Idea for new Video Platform using Blockchain and Cloud Computing

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 01:05 PM PST

    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdyPyiXS_jiQAlqd7W1wwcEGUPATe-OnPhj20yP4F7LuxOyVg/viewform

    Hi everyone, I am in an entrepreneur class at Lehigh university, and am trying to see if the customer for my alternate video platform exists.

    To keep things simple, my idea is that you use a blockchain (like Ethereum) to host video streaming in the cloud. I would reward the people hosting the streaming service with a Cryptocurrency, that they would then be able to cash for US dollars, or donate the currency to content creators. People watching videos on the platform could also be rewarded in the cryptocurrency for either watching ads or giving up some of their spare computing power while watching videos.

    Filling out this survey would help me a lot, thanks in advance!!

    submitted by /u/EchoForty
    [link] [comments]

    Target Market

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 12:22 PM PST

    Hey guys first time post

    I want to open up a bar/cocktail lounge with food etc.

    Im having a tough time trying to narrow my target market. What are some ideas/tips/suggestions you guys have had when it comes to the topic of target market. Below is what I have so far.

    Working professionals

    ages 25-40

    career oriented: bankers, lawyers, white-collar

    Competition: Browns, Earls, Cactus

    Income Level: 30,000-80,000

    Ethnicity: All major Demographics

    Lifestyle: Sports, Craft Beer, Good conversation, Young Family, Working from home

    submitted by /u/Krisuh
    [link] [comments]

    Basics of starting a small business

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 12:06 PM PST

    Hello everyone, I am a freshman in community college. A friend and I are interested in starting a window washing business for this Spring/Summer as each year we are hit with a huge wave of pollen and think it could be very profitable. Where do I start? I have a general idea of what I need material wise but have no prior experience in being an entrepreneur so go easy on me! :) Any advice and criticism is welcome.

    submitted by /u/DJRhetorik
    [link] [comments]

    What does it mean to value an employee?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 11:38 AM PST

    Donnie Smith, former CEO of Tyson, tells the story about trying to make the right decisions for the business, and among pages upon pages of spreadsheets and data, he looks up to the team to say, "Does anyone understand any of this?"

    Donnie's story isn't a unique one -- and this post isn't about data -- it's the fact that we often make things far more complicated than they are. The simple truth is this -- Valuing your team is really not that hard.

    When we talk about value, and what it means to value an employee, some insights to apply:

    1) Showing Value is Costly. You get what you pay for. A few weeks ago, a business owner approached me for help on hiring a great salesperson. Here's the catch -- he said he couldn't afford to pay the average base and would have to offer a much less. Finding (and keeping) great talent is mutually exclusive with the lowest pay. Take it from my local Ronald McDonald House Charities -- they reward double digit % bonuses (as a Non-Profit) to their staff, even to some part-time staff. In turn, they are one of the most recognized chapters in the U.S. Pay your people what they deserve -- otherwise you'll fool yourself into thinking a pat on the back is a fair replacement.

    2) Showing Value is Selfless. I love the story from Jim Collins' Good to Great where he talks about the difference between the Level 4 and Level 5 leaders. Both are arguably great leaders, but the epitome of the Level 5 leader is the willingness to share the credit and shoulder the blame. When great success and attention arrives in the form of accolades, awards, cover articles in popular journals, and the like, the Level 4 leader speaks in "I". The Level 5 leader speaks in "We". Don't celebrate your people privately. Do it openly, unwaveringly, and unashamedly. It won't cause people to question your ability. It'll cement your ability to lead people towards real results.

    3) Showing Value takes Work. There's tremendous ego in business, and the bottom line is that it's easier to put problems on employees than face them ourselves. Take Sonic Drive-In for example. This week, 3 stores' employees quit en masse, citing toxic culture and poor pay. When we look at the fast food industry, Sonic doesn't often rise to the top as the ultimate competitor or the dominant market share. Like Sonic, businesses are often plagued with dysfunction that keep them from competing in the marketplace. Facing those problems head on takes real, hard, painful work... Unfortunately, it's often easier to avoid or ignore these dysfunctions and force employees to pay the price in order to protect revenue. It takes work to do an ego-check (especially when it comes to listening to your employees). It takes work to fix a broken business model. All this to say, a good leader looks in the mirror first before out the window at the employees.

    What did Donnie do with all the spreadsheets, data, and the like that were totally nonsensical? He threw it all out, and the team began to focus on the simple truths that they knew worked for their business. Donnie also can boast (though he wouldn't, he's too humble for that) that he led five record-breaking revenue years in his seven years at Tyson. Sometimes, simple is what works.

    In business, we often say that even in a saturated market, the products that make it are the ones with the most value. Beyond all the fluff, these companies offer something real and meaningful. It's how Amazon rose from the ashes of the Dot-Com Crash.

    Are you looking for your A-team to grow and scale your business? It works the same way as your products.

    Build your team on pure, authentic value.

    submitted by /u/TheGoodAdviceCoach
    [link] [comments]

    Microsoft Excel is extremely complex — and has a shitton of hours put into developing it. On the other side, there are shittons of hours spent into making cars OS or the Palm OS. What about them?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 11:28 AM PST

    • How I think meaning in life is found
    • What's worth doing as a tech company
    • Why losing yourself in your work can become bliss.

    That's what this post's road is paved with (besides good intentions).

    But first, a story about a big similarity between Microsoft Excel, car operating systems older phones.

    I found something very fascinating when I restarted spending more and more time with Excel lately, which seemed obvious ever since I first used it: it's an extremely complex tool.

    A story with two sides

    Excel. This is the scenario where it could go well. A software that is so helpful and powerful that there are companies out there relying solely on it. There are people who use it for project management, even though within the Office suite, there's the dedicated Microsoft Project.

    People got as far as creating spreadsheets of their spreadsheets. I've found out that in some cases, the Japanese government specifically require regular work reports be made in Excel — much likely to be because of the ordered look.

    On the other hand, I've noticed "virtual places" like car operating systems. Or a better example for my point here would be the OS of some phones — long before newer companies had to be stress-free because of Android being the go-to free solution. This is the scenario where it could go "not so well".

    Palm OS could be a good example. Surely a place that was indeed complex but eventually died and didn't live up to its efforts. What about something like this?

    These places feel like empty deserts. Something that's so complex and wide but at the same time it can feel like a prison — that's a dramatic take but bear with me for a second. Why do they feel like "prisons"?

    1. They're not very "dynamic".

    For instance I've had a Windows phone some years ago. After being spoiled with the popularity of a platform like iOS or Android, this place felt empty as hell. The inky background accentuated the probably-unwanted emotional area of it: it felt grim and empty.

    A deserted place like their trying-to-catch-up app store combined with these dark elements gives me a weird feeling even now, when I'm trying to remember about that virtual place.

    Maybe my interpretation is just an exaggeration of their app store that was close to empty. Because of the iOS/Android dominance, there was low interest in having apps made specifically for this system.

    In cars operating systems (which for some reason I love exploring 'til I get to their last screens), they feel somehow the same as I noticed how much time needs to be put from the creators side to deliver something like that.

    Sure, today we have Android Auto which mirrors the situation with mobile phone companies (a go-to, easy solution that's free, just perfect if you're looking to cut down costs), but back in the day it was different.

    By the way, a quick idea: because of Android becoming the stress-free, go-to solution that I mentioned above, we can see smartphones on the market that cost £60-£100 new, with 6″ screens and iPhone-like notches. Crazy.

    2. Not all of them get a lot of usage

    And you, as a user, can tell. You can tell that it's not a very "populated" place.

    Back to cars, it adds more to this "marooned" feeling that once you interact with one of these isolated software systems, it gets even worse when you think in perspective. All other cars who have any kind of virtual dashboard had to create their own, bespoke system.

    All of them.

    This probably happens to cars dashboards between 2006 to 2015 (let's say after 2015 Android Auto becomes available as the minimum viable solution). But it goes back to 1995-2000 for companies like BMW or others with higher-class models.

    Sure, Volkswagen and Toyota sell a lot of cars these days and their interfaces get show time. But what about this 7 series BMW's screen from 1998? How much show time has it got? And by that I mean seconds of use by people.

    If we were to compare this BMW's dashboard all-time "seconds spent" with a Toyota's dashboard, how much lower would the first one be? 5% of Toyota's? 15%? I guess we'll never know.

    We like winners

    Objection: "Okay, but what about Tesla? They're not so big (at the moment, at least) and yet the way their huge screen dashboard looks is very loved and very useful. Does that prove your point?"

    I've had this counter-thought as I finished the earlier idea. I think the story is different from them because Tesla has the same position that Apple has got: a high-level brand. Because I know they're successful, somehow their "virtual grounds" don't feel so deserted.

    However, that's not everything. I'm getting now to my point of this whole written piece: I know (and can see) through what they've done that it's:

    1. Made for a very specific, very targeted group of people.
    2. Caters to all the needs of these people.
    3. Built with passion, hence the complexity of it.

    #3 means a lot of attention to details and somehow through this, the company avoids the deserted place — Tesla could've easily gone there, given they're a new company in the car industry.

    We like winners. But maybe they also win because they do these three things. Maybe it's a self-feeding circle, a self-feeding positive loop that is anyways the foundation of us, humans: once we win, we tend to win more.

    We like winners even when they lose

    Apple TV is arguably a loser as it's not the #1 dominant in its market. Roku and Chromecast are cheaper alternatives who both get a bigger share of the market than Apple's counterpart.

    However, since I know ATV is a part of their whole system, I'm less inclined to call it a deserted place. Sure, it could be called one objectively but I don't get the same marooned feeling.

    Why? Because of their brand value and because of winning in another place.

    Finally, here are my practical takeaways of this very long story

    Ok, cool, all these have been put forward to your eyes.

    What's the damn catch here? What does it have to with tech companies, CEOs and products?

    Here's what I think: You can decide to spend endless time into developing a little universe by yourself (yourself = your company) — like an operating system is. Like the Tesla dashboard is, the '98 BMW's screen is presenting or like Excel has shown.

    It can go two ways.

    One, "decide to spend time developing" means one simply deploys resources into building something because "it has to be".

    That Toyota's dashboard computer has to have a navigation menu, a Bluetooth function, settings and all the other screens. It's required.

    You can just buy someone else's time and they do it as part of their job. It's work that's "just about right".

    Two, "decide to spend time" means something grander. Something that's noble. You sit down and think of the highest goal and most dignified and extraordinary thing you're able of achieving (probably along with some people).

    You sit down and decide upon it. And then you do it because of this grand vision, not just because "it has to be done". It's Excel, a spreadsheet software app but it becomes more than that.

    The people that are busy working on it make it so complex that it becomes something bigger. They pay attention to a lot of details and give the user endless possibilities, to the point where Excel becomes the #2 most used desktop app for some people after a browser.

    Then you act upon it.

    And you happen to pursue it and act against setbacks because you know it's deep down inside your soul the highest thing you can think of — there's nothing grander you can think of at this moment. Not something achievable, at least.

    In this case, you go out there and create something worth using by a group of people. You spend all this time (which looks like work to the external world's people but to you it doesn't really feel like work), day by day and you create something that cannot not be loved by these people.

    Surely, eventually they will part with their money to at least support your cause.

    It's timing as well, indeed. The BMW dashboard I've linked in 1998 couldn't become something else than deserted, given how adopted smartphones and technology overall are today and not back then. But here's something even older that didn't become deserted (or maybe it did, but the work wasn't forgotten):

    Margaret Hamilton standing next to the navigation code she and her team wrote for Apollo 11 pictured. It wasn't a business product, it was a very bespoke solution and it shows one thing: people don't forget what others do when it's made with passion and in a complex manner.

    That clearly wasn't "just about right" work. It was the #2 I mentioned.

    Practical examples of such pieces

    I've started with Excel. That's a damn-well made piece of software. No wonder it's 32 years old.

    Webflow is one example like that in the world of designers. They catered to an extreme wound of designers — they couldn't see their websites alive.

    Others (Wix, Squarespace etc) have created middle-ground solutions. But they were not for designers. In fact, designers hate them. This pain-point was considered impossible to solve.

    That is, until Webflow came and did the impossible. I wish nothing but success to this company and I have no affiliation with them. I can't wait to see them smash even more targets as they've expanded recently into ecommerce.

    I think Instagram, at least initially, is an example of what I'm talking about. A go-to solution that indeed wasn't very complex but what accentuated by the network effect. However, it's pretty clear to me: made with passion for photography-oriented people.

    Waze took Maps and made more than that. Complex, made for some specific people and then what I wrote about the other days happened: their targeted work waterfalled into other audiences.

    Lord of the Rings — I know, not a business product per se. But holy god, what a mind can create is amazing. JRR Tolkien took it to another level when it comes to the complexity of creating a world. Creating at least 15 languages and a new mythological realm is something that clearly needs passion.

    The bottom line

    Excel created its own world. A realm. So did the other examples I gave at the end. Do it as well — but do it carefully.

    Do it for a group of people that's as targeted as possible, but still a viable group: much like the V in MVP, it has to be possible for this group to work for you.

    Do it with god-damn passion and lose yourself in it, if it gets to that. Worst case, you'll be recognised "only" 54 years later like Margaret Hamilton — she received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1962 (surely she received recognition until that moment anyways).

    Pick an audience, do this and it will hit extremely hard.

    Or do work just because you have to do it. But I won't say anything more about that.

    ____

    I prefer posting just the content of my posts but in this case I'd recommend having a look at the original post given the pictures that can help you imagine better what I'm talking about

    submitted by /u/chddaniel
    [link] [comments]

    Business journey (day 2)

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 10:59 AM PST

    It's seems like door to door sales all over, but this time for my own business. I posted about starting a cleaning company etc. This is what I've been doing so far and what my results have been.

    So I went to a local city that has a lot of smaller businesses. I went through almost all of them and out of 8 I was able to get 2 to send them a bid or quote. I also noticed that for smaller businesses they seem to do it themselves and prefer a deep clean. I also have been giving 10% off the first time clean.

    Yes it's nerve wrecking, but gotta do what you gotta do. But I manage to talk to a owner of a mortgage company just barely and I manage to get him interested in a bid despite them having a family that comes clean weekly (they charge $450 a week).

    I also was able to have one of the managers (of a different company) rethink their cleaning company and give us a try. I played around a bit figuring out about their cleaning company that they hired and told them a better price. They wanted a bid.

    First day I'm doing it since yesterday I was going over what services we offer and all of that. What questions do you guys have or any suggestions of what I could be doing better?

    So in total I was able to get 5 businesses interested. Let's see how it goes.

    submitted by /u/IAmAGodz
    [link] [comments]

    Shopify Dropshipping: How To Find A Credible Teacher (Life Lesson)

    Posted: 28 Feb 2019 04:06 PM PST

    Before I begin this post a bit of context:

    About a little over a year ago I made this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Entrepreneur/comments/76o76f/sold_over_500k_this_year_on_shopify_by/

    In this post I talk about how I made my first $500k revenue drop shipping on a couple of different stores.

    Since then I have had more success beyond that and another sales update can be found here.

    https://youtu.be/Lt0PfJWxPuw

    Many people hate gurus for good reason. Technically being one, I have seen the deception that a lot of people prey on for those that are struggling financially. It's disgusting. For awhile, and still to this day, in the shopify niche people would fake orders by drawing up draft orders, screenshots, etc.

    (This isn't just limited to shopify, these scammers are everywhere)

    So being someone who has made it through the fire and had repeat success, I want to provide my criteria for finding someone credible to teach you how to run / create a business. I've learned a lot from other gurus, but I found that consistently this criteria is incredibly important in getting the right help.

    So here are my following rules, feel free to add as you see fit for learning drop-shipping or anything self-help related.

    What I look for in teachers / gurus:

    • They aren't heavily financially invested in teaching. (Selling courses and actually practicing drop-shipping, flipping real estate, etc are two entirely different business models)

    • They don't flash cars/wealth and try to sell dreams. They are fairly modest.

    • They spend most of their time on their business rather than creating webinars, youtube videos, emails, and other methods of sales for their teaching products.

    • They have credible sales numbers, that show visitor count sales, tax info, etc.

    • They talk about the negatives of a business model instead of just trying to entice you into buying into whatever they are selling. This includes talking about charge backs, held money, etc.

    Let me know if you guys agree with this list as a reference sheet posted on my wall. It's easy to get carried away with thinking this next big idea or business model will make you rich, I hope this anchors some people back down.

    Thanks,

    Hunter

    submitted by /u/EcomCezare
    [link] [comments]

    What is the most challenging for you to be an entrepreneur?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 10:30 AM PST

    Accountant needed?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 10:12 AM PST

    Hello guys,

    I am being contracted by a company and expect to be paid monthly for my work.

    For tax purposes i am going to do this through my own company.

    Is an accountant needed in this case or is it not worth it in your opinion? I'm confused about this.

    submitted by /u/blakez19
    [link] [comments]

    How we got to 3rd place on ProductHunt in 1hour with 1 tweet

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 10:11 AM PST

    I woke up to a guy hunting my gamified travel app. Panic!

    Things were not going well only managing to get 50 upvotes and we were on the 11th place after 4 hours when...boom! Ryan Hoover, co-founder of PH, responded to a tweet our co-founder sent and upvoted our app. Upvotes started coming in like crazy and 1 hour later we got to 200 upvotes and 3rd place.

    Here's out current position with over 250 upvotes: https://www.producthunt.com/posts/questo-2

    Did you ever get an upvote/tweet response from Ryan Hoover on your ProductHunt launch? How did it influence the process?

    submitted by /u/maraloiu
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone know a material that is springy, clear and non-toxic.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 10:00 AM PST

    I am trying to create a product that is similar to a mouthguard, but I have no idea what material is springy, clear, and non-toxic. I tried to google it but I couldn't find anything.

    submitted by /u/anoobis95
    [link] [comments]

    Realistically, what steps does a lone person have to take before landing any sort of investments for a sizeable project?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 09:21 AM PST

    Let's say I am a person with "the best ever idea for a website". The website isn't your run of the mill one, and requires quite a bit of programming knowledge to get going. Essentially, it'd require a team of 5-10 people to get it up and running (along with its complementary mobile App of course).

    However, I am a lone person with no expertise in web design, and on my own cannot boot start my website. I have no friends who are web designers or programmers.

    Essentially, at the current time, I have no product, and without any investment I wouldn't be able to start my project.

    What are my outs?

    As I understand, the only thing I can do right now is:

    1) Get a well designed website up and running with the most basic functional ideas in place,
    2) Crowd fund it through kickstart/indiegogo (essentially to show there's a market/demand for it).
    3) And only then can I start looking for investors.
    4) From there on out I'd hire people to join my team
    5) Iron out the website's design and get the website to a functional state
    6) Launch it

    I'm not sure in what state the website should be in before beginning crowd-funding (can it just be frontend with no working backend?), and I'm not sure if there are other/better paths I could take instead of going for crowd-funding.

    Any insight would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/something_memory
    [link] [comments]

    Buying Backlinks

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 09:20 AM PST

    If one buys backlinks to a blog and within the blog writes articles which link to another domain/site what domain may get penalized? I would think only the blog would correct?

    submitted by /u/tootles24
    [link] [comments]

    Need some users to give me feedback on registration process for marketplace

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 08:53 AM PST

    Hi there,

    We are creating a marketplace and need some people to test our website.

    This will require you to sign up as a "seller" and you will need to go through some steps to verify your ID.

    ****Requirements****

    Need to be based in the US

    Need to have an active mobile phone number to receive verification code

    Ideally willing to record screen during registration process

    Big plus if you are interested in education and teaching

    ***********************************

    Please DM me for details.

    submitted by /u/gbentrepreneur
    [link] [comments]

    Paid content writer

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 08:17 AM PST

    Hi all. I was hoping to gather some advice and experiences from others who have been paid for content writing. Which strategies did you find effective or ineffective in identifying potential clients? How did you sell yourself when contacting potential clients? What sort of rates and terms were you able to negotiate? Thanks in advance.

    submitted by /u/islandcookies
    [link] [comments]

    Text messaging marketing

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 08:17 AM PST

    hi

    has anyone tried text messaging marketing ? which software and platform did you use and how was the response ?

    thanks

    submitted by /u/CreateITivity
    [link] [comments]

    So sales is easy?

    Posted: 01 Mar 2019 07:52 AM PST

    Sure it is - for anyone who is not in sales.

    Sales is easy when you know how and absolute hell when you don't. It is like being a master craftsman - you will have spent years mastering your trade and learning the intricate skills required to be one of the best and you will have confidence in what you do - the problem is that salespeople rarely command respect.

    I am constantly baffled why salespeople do not get the respect and admiration they deserve. I have been in sales for over twenty years and I still meet people in the commercial world who regard sales as being a job reserved for the loudmouth ego's. Persuading a business or individual to buy your product or service is hard at best and has possibly the lowest success rate of any trade. For every sale you make you may have been told "No" to the one hundred phone calls or emails you have made perviously.

    If you are an accountant, lawyer, banker, doctor or professor you will have gained some respect for the effort and time you will have invested to be a qualified professional or expert. You cannot be a sales expert.

    Without doctors people die. Without lawyers they feel wronged, without bankers they are putting their money at risk (maybe!) but without salespeople what is there? Who sells the drugs to save you? Who persuades you to buy things that results in businesses banking their takings? Who grows your business or the businesses of others that create the growth you need to be employed? Without salespeople most businesses will be nothing at all and yet the lifeblood of many businesses are given such little respect.
    Salespeople are needed and should be respected as professionals. You cannot get a degree of any value in sales, you cannot be qualified but an awful lot of salespeople have made their bosses an awful lot of money and yet these bosses will be much more likely to boast the merits of their business concepts and not the salespeople who delivered the paying customers.
    I have experienced this first hand with an old business partner. We built a business over many years that we successfully traded and sold. We were very well served by some excellent salespeople who have now moved on to pastures new but ultimately they created the value that allowed us to sell. My ex-Partner now, despite having never actually sold or even met a customer, regards himself as being the key to the success of the business and will happily tell all he can about his business successes without a mention of the people that delivered the sales.
    There is however a balance and I've seen all of the ups and downs. Salespeople are generally fairly arrogant, selfish, egotistical, greedy and are bad at accepting any criticism. They can be very difficult, stubborn and often lack understanding of the roles of others. I therefore do not put salespeople on a pedestal and am fully aware of their negative character traits but we all need salespeople in business - whether we are buying or selling, it's them who make the business world tick. Sure there are rogue salespeople who lie and twist the truth to get a sale, but there are rogue builders, accountants, mechanics, landlords - there are rogues in all walks of life.
    The art of sales cannot be simply summarised as having the ability to talk and be persuasive. The sheer thought and strategic planning that can go into winning an order or contract can be immense. A good salesperson will analyse every part of the contact with the client and will go over and over the detail trying to find, understand and solve any objections or concerns the client may have. They will need to understand where their product or service may be weaker than their competitors and what they need to do to counter that. They will need to understand the clients opinion of them and the business they represent. They will need to deal with the budget constraints of the client and may need to become very creative in finding ways that make their proposal affordable. This is a process that is often started in the car after an appointment and the salesperson will be going through every small comment and reaction from the client and trying to highlight anything significant. It is a hugely taxing process that takes years to master and will occupy much of the salespersons thoughts during the day.

    I have taken on junior salespeople and made them brilliant, I have employed great salespeople and made them even better and there is one consistent fact I am constantly reminded of - good salespeople need to work very, very hard. They are grafters and they are hungry, yes they mostly want lots of money, a flash car and good luck to them. Boost their ego's, tell them they are amazing and watch them puff out their chests and go sell for you. They want to be the best, they want their peers to be jealous of them and they want to earn fortunes - you want the sales and they want the money so give them every incentive they could dream of and watch your business grow.

    submitted by /u/SalesFrienduk
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment