• Breaking News

    Wednesday, November 28, 2018

    Personal Finance I always heard that you can save money switching insurance companies every few years, but never actually shopped around until now. Found $1,715 in annual savings!

    Personal Finance I always heard that you can save money switching insurance companies every few years, but never actually shopped around until now. Found $1,715 in annual savings!


    I always heard that you can save money switching insurance companies every few years, but never actually shopped around until now. Found $1,715 in annual savings!

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:03 AM PST

    I stayed with the same insurance company for auto since 2007. I added my wife to the policy when we got married in 2013, and then added a policy for our home in 2014. I noticed that the premiums were always trending up, as though there was no benefit for being a loyal customer. I finally put in the effort to shop around and found better deals for THE EXACT SAME or BETTER COVERAGE.

    Table Current Insurance Competitor A Competitor B Competitor C
    Annual Car $4,100 $3,526 $2,548 $3,404
    Annual Home $1,362 $1,033 $1,199 $792
    Total Annual Cost $5,462 $4,559 $3,747 $4,196
    Annual Amount Saved $0 $903 $1,715 $1,266

    I'm not sure if it's against the rules to post the names of the companies or not so I left them out. After finding the potential for savings I posted to local social media asking "Anyone have any good or bad experience with claims from Company B?" and am waiting for some feedback before I move my policies over. That said, I'm sad I didn't look into this sooner, and look forward to getting into this habit every 3-5 years.

    submitted by /u/taxable_efficiency
    [link] [comments]

    I turned my debts into monsters so that I can kill them more easily

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 03:23 PM PST

    Like many Americans, I've been feeling a constant sense of dread about my student loans. They've always felt like a formless dark shadow hanging over me and it used to scare me out of checking my balances or interest, or even budgeting, since it all seemed so futile.

    This and being a broke brand new teacher in NYC led to me using overuse my credit. I somehow got my credit card under control (after it had hit just over $9,000) and then moved to Connecticut where my expenses are much lower. I ended up taking a pay cut since teachers in CT make less than in NYC but it still ended up being a net positive gain on my finances. Since finding more stability I have been resolving to save as much as I can while paying off larger amounts of my leftover student loans and a Best Buy credit account.

    I've always giving something abstract a name or a visual helps give me power over it, so I decided to represent my debts exactly as I thought of them: monsters hanging over me. Instead of despairing, however, I wanted to think of them like video game bosses. Sure, they have a ton of HP, but like anyone who's played an RPG, you can beat even the toughest bosses by chipping away at their health over time.

    So in my home office, I drew a visual representation of these 3 baddies along with their health bars, and percentages of their "health" left.

    They are, in order of least scary to most: Beast Buy (Best Buy credit account), Perkins the Scourge (Perkins student loans), and Ramses the Endless Punisher (the rest of my non-Perkins loans from Fordham University).

    As soon as I stepped back and saw the damage I'd already dealt each, they all felt beatable. With each payment I make, I plan on adjusting the amounts and health bars accordingly. I plan on defeating Beast Buy before the year is done, leaving me with only two more kaiju to worry about.

    It may be scary to face the reality of your debts, especially if you just started the fight, but if you're a visual learner and a geek like me, this might be a good way to build some motivation to kill these things. This is also a good way to make something as nebulous as debt into something you can imagine dealing damage to.

    Pics here: https://imgur.com/a/XQQkIG1

    TLDR: Debts are scary. I turned them into monsters with corresponding health bars. Now they're less scary.

    submitted by /u/DonFrijote
    [link] [comments]

    Someone has created a Square account using my name and business address, and is fraudulently charging credit cards using that account. Help please?!

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:05 PM PST

    X-posted on r/scams, because I'm not what sub is the best place for this post, so please bear with me/direct me to other subs. TL;DR at the bottom.

    Today I received a phone call from a woman regarding an unknown charge to her chipped credit card. She told me her bank said it came from me, as my business name and business address were listed along with the charge, and she found me by googling my business name. I went through my business records, but had no charges for the date or the amount she was charged. Upon speaking a bit more with the woman over the phone, it appeared that the strange charge came from Square.

    I use Square for my business, but the business name attached to her charge is different than the way my business charges appear. (i.e., my business charges appear along the lines of "SQ *RachelMarylProducts," and her charge said "SQ*Rachel'sProductsCityState."

    I contacted Square, but got the standard "we searched for this online and found no record of it, but she can look up the receipt on this link, good luck," response. The receipt lookup yielded no results, and now the Square's help line is closed for the day.

    Thankfully, the woman was very understanding, and was able to get her bank to re-issue her money. For my part, I fully plan to escalate things with Square tomorrow. The Square representative I spoke with this evening didn't seem too interested in hearing that my information was compromised/they were third party to credit card fraud -- I got some pretty standard responses. I'm fully prepared to spend as much time on the phone, escalating the issue, until this is resolved. I am busy enough as it is without needing banks and credit card companies coming after me because someone has fraudulently used my name to run their credit card fraud scams.

    Outside of Square, I am removing my business address off the internet as possible, and will be opening a PO box instead of listing my company's physical address. This sucks, because the internet is literally the only way people find my business, but thankfully I'm service-based and not a retail location. I also am going to put a freeze on my credit (I ran my annual free credit reports while on hold with Square this evening, and there are no accounts open that I don't know about).

    What should I do to get Square's attention? What else do I need to do at this point? Is this identity theft, even though my credit reports came back clean?

    TL;DR: A woman called me about a charge on her credit card that her bank says came from my business square account, but it didn't. The charge is fraudulent. The woman was able to get her bank to return her money, but I'm for my identity and my business. I couldn't get the representative at Square to do anything aside from the standard "we care about your business, here's a link to look up the receipt with that woman." What do I do next? How do I escalate? How do I protect myself and my business?

    submitted by /u/rachelmaryl
    [link] [comments]

    $400,000 in debt. Completely my fault. No way out that I can see. (CAN)

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:39 AM PST

    Firstly, I understand I am a POS and that I deserve all the hate that this thread may get. From a young age, I've always been good with money. I'm a saver and I always managed to max my RRSPs, TFSAs and I almost never spent money on myself. I live cheaply, and value frugality.

    All that began to unravel in January 2007 I opened up my investment account in order to purchase mining penny stocks that were recommended to me by a former employer, who partially owned the company. Being young and naïve about investing I bought a whole bunch of shares. After around a year I had lost over $10,000. I decided to make this money back by investing much more into the broad market. This was at the beginning of the 2008 market crash. When losses went well over $50,000 I became more aggressive and invested into more and more risky investment vehicles including stock options and foreign companies which had seen big share price drops. Each and every one ended up delisted from the exchanges and saw losses of basically 100%. As losses climbed over $100,000 I decided to get into actual gambling, sports betting specifically – something where the house didn't necessarily have as much of an edge. I almost made it out of debt multiple times, but I inevitably sank lower in the end. One time I took $10 and turned it into $12,000. Another time I took $100 and turned it into $150,000 and yet another time I took $5K and turned it into $165K. However, this was when I was already down 3 times as much so it didn't get me out of the hole which is all I wanted. After 8 years of trying using that method I am now almost $400,000 in debt. $250,000 is owed to family and the rest is my personal line of credit and credit cards. Sitting here now, I literally have $6 CAD to my name.

    The banks have been calling me almost every day for almost 2 months, but they said they are now going to move it to collections or press legal charges.

    I have no assets, no formal education, no connections, and my business is permanently ruined. I've been trying to get a job for 3 months, but it turns out that despite me at one point making 6-figures as a [redacted], I'm not very desirable on the job market. Heck, I don't even have the money for my end-of-month haircut. Interest payments alone are around $2,500/month and then I have rent ($750/month) that I need to start paying back.

    I've been dealing with severe depression for almost a decade now and I feel the last of my hope has left me. I have no desire to live, but I just can't leave this earth until I pay the people back that I owe money to. I never intended to cheat or take advantage of anyone and if I could I'd work for 20 years to pay this all back, but it seems my time has run out. I don't know what's next, and I'm tired. Thanks for reading. I'm not sure I'll be able to reply to the messages, but I needed to throw this out there.

    Edit: Thank-you for your positive replies. I appreciate your thoughts and will read them. I do want to add that I have a loving family that have forgiven me and are OK with me paying them back over a long period. They still require the interest that is due every month which keeps increasing due to BOC rate hikes and me not being able to pay down the principal. Of course bankruptcy doesn't do anything for the $250K and I don't know if it does anything for the $150K incurred while gambling.

    submitted by /u/NoAuthor2
    [link] [comments]

    AT&T ran my credit not only without my permission, but after I explicitly stated I did not want a hard hit

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 07:10 AM PST

    I called in to ask what internet speeds were available in my area. He tried to sell me on cable, which I declined. He asked for my social and my date of birth. I asked him why he needed this and he explained it was to make sure I didn't have any past due balances with AT&T. I then double checked and asked him if it would hit my credit and he chuckled and said "no no sir nothing like that".

    Fast forward an hour, I have an email stating my installation for phone, cable, and internet is scheduled(???) and then a few minutes later an email from credit karma saying I had a hard inquiry.

    Called in and spoke to 3 different departments, finally to a woman to tell me she couldn't remove it because calling in to inquire about service was all the consent they needed.

    This clearly doesn't seem legal, and wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences and what I should do next.

    TL;DR - spoke to ATT, they asked for social, I made sure it wouldn't hit my credit, I was told it wouldn't, and then it did. What next?

    EDIT 4: Filed a complaint with my attorney general.

    EDIT 3: Filed a complaint with the CFPB. All the support and advice here has been a true blessing and I thank each and every one of you for taking the time to comment with good advice and/or possible solutions.

    EDIT 2: I called back in, and actually had a great conversation with someone who was super understanding and willing to help. She got me to the fraud department. I spoke with Dorothy. She told me that it did not matter that I asked my credit not to be ran. That when someone calls in to inquire about service, they are consenting to a credit check. Doesn't matter if I didn't give my social, they would have used my DOB or DL #. She told me that I could not speak to a supervisor as this was standard practice, and she wouldn't escalate it. She also said some calls are recorded and some weren't, and she did not help me in finding the call from my first conversation. I then asked her for a copy of this call and her response was "I don't know if it's being recorded so I can't help you". She had nothing to say about the rep lying to me, and she said their credit disclaimer statement didn't sound anything like a credit disclaimer statement and I probably didn't even know it was read to me. Unbelievable. This is their FRAUD department. Jesus Christ.

    EDIT: I see a lot of folks saying "what's the big deal, couple points will fall off in no time". I just got an email from credit karma that a hard inquiry from 2 years ago just fell off my report, and that left me with one hard hit which was back in January. I've been working very hard on rebuilding my credit, checking quite frequently and really boosting my score. One or two points may not be a big deal to some but after working so hard to improve my score, having it lowered without my authorization or consent is devastating.

    submitted by /u/oldmanwrigley
    [link] [comments]

    My (26) girlfriend (25) (and mother of my child) is turning 26 shortly. Whats the best option for healthcare?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:55 PM PST

    Hello everyone. In a few months, my girlfriend of 5 years will be turning 26 and will be dropped off her parents healthcare. I know that if we get married that I can add her to my health insurance. We don't necessarily want to get married for the SOLE purpose of her getting health insurance.

    I'm making this post to get some ideas of our options going forward. I will end up talking to my works health insurance person, but I'd also like to get information before that so I at least go in with some knowledge of what my options are :)

    I've read about applying for domestic partner benefits, having her apply for ACA coverage, or even taking out a private insurance that I'll pay.

    • We live in Ohio.
    • We live together, house with a mortgage.
    • My healthcare is through my work and is Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield.
    • She is a stay at home mom to my child.
    • Income: Her, $0. Me: 50-60k depending on bonuses.
    • We do plan to marry! But this is not in the immediate future. If this is the best option, it won't be a problem for us.
    submitted by /u/healthcarequestion26
    [link] [comments]

    1300 Under-performing Hedge Funds Expected to Close Down in 2018

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 05:56 AM PST

    https://www.barrons.com/articles/whats-making-hedge-funds-weep-1543410000?mod=hp_DAY_6

    My colleague posted this article and it is very interesting to many investors, especially those who choose to index. It is behind a paywall unfortunately, but here's the gist (thanks, coworker) of what it says:

    "In the first three quarters of 2018 alone, there have been nearly 1,000 hedge fund closures, on pace for more than 1,300 closures for the full year. That's about 19% of the nearly 7,000 funds tracked by hedge fund data provider BarclayHedge."

    "The Hedge Fund Research Equity Hedge index is down about 3% year to date. That trails the broad stock market. Indeed, hedge funds, based on the index, haven't outperformed the S&P 500 in any given year since 2009."

    Personally, I hope this trend doesn't push younger people away from the market, but rather into DIY-finance and self-controlled investing practices. Maybe if the fallacy of "finance and investing is too hard for the average person" dies with this next generation, we can start to prioritize teaching basic financial principles in our classrooms. Dare to dream!

    submitted by /u/thawowtso
    [link] [comments]

    T-Mobile offering new checking account with 4% APY on first $3000 and 1% APY on rest - what’s the catch?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 02:25 PM PST

    Link here: https://www.t-mobilemoney.com/en/home.html

    Just came across this - doesn't seem to be officially announced yet, and website is still buggy. From what I've read, seems to be 4% APY on first $3000 if you're a T-Mobile post-paid customer and you direct deposit $200 a month. 1% on everything over.

    Why is T-Mobile offering a service like this? What's the catch? Any red flags?

    submitted by /u/ynnusyzz
    [link] [comments]

    150k inheritance - owe 40k student loans and plan to attend grad school next year.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 04:23 AM PST

    Hey all,

    I'll try to keep this short. A family member recently passed and left me with around $150,000. Currently I am a 23 year old Peace Corps Volunteer making about peanuts with little in savings. After I finish my service this spring I plan to attend graduate school. However, I still owe about $40,000 in student loans.

    My question is should I use this new money to pay off my student loans in full? Does this effect financial aid from schools? I am confident I will get a decent scholarship based on merit but am not completely sure what the amount will be. The schools I am looking at have a sticker price of anywhere between $50,000 to $150,000 for the two years (without any scholarships).

    I have three lenders and am planning to pay off the $12,000 at 6% but am not sure about the remaining $28,000 at 3-4%. I'm leaning towards just clearing the entire amount but am not sure this is the best option. I appreciate your input.

    submitted by /u/CoolerKingMcQueen
    [link] [comments]

    I'm a salaried employee and am considering a separate 1099 gig

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 06:17 PM PST

    As the title states, I have a day job where I'm a salaried employee however am considering taking on some side employment on an extremely part time basis. It'd be on a 1099 basis and my income would be $2000 per month at absolute most. In all reality, I'll wind up doing this for a couple months so total income would be no more than $5000.

    Is there anything I need to know specifically with respect to the implications of having 1099 income in addition to normal W2?

    I've never done any freelance work before, so any/all general advice/tips are very much welcome. I've done some homework of course, but would appreciate hearing the perspectives of those who may have been in similar situations.

    submitted by /u/RyneBryant
    [link] [comments]

    Wife and I have about $36,000 in savings between the both of us. Would adding all the savings into Marcus for the 2.05% APY be a good move?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 08:19 AM PST

    Just want to assess the risks. I just have the feeling like I'm losing out on a great interest rate if we don't put all of our savings into a high-yield online only account.

    Any input would be appreciated. Am I missing something that would make it a stupid move?

    submitted by /u/Sizzmo
    [link] [comments]

    Big bump in income from 56k to 80k. How do I maximize it?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 08:10 PM PST

    Hi guys!

    I'm 28 years old and I recently switched fields and will be making roughly 30% more. Specifically, I am going from $56,000 to $80,000. There is a $5,000 sign on bonus, and potential for bonuses and raises at the end of each year. They also have stock options and a bunch of other fringe benefits. I live in southern California with my SO, and we have no children. I'm trying to figure out what to do with the extra money – my potential plan is at the bottom. I am very frugal to begin with, use Mint to budget, and am very well aware of lifestyle creep, so that should not be an issue.

    Here's a rough breakdown of my budget per month (FYI: this is MY half of expenses with my SO as well as my own personal expenses):

    • Rent: $700

    • Utilities: $15

    • Internet: $25

    • Groceries: $175

    • Dining out: $100

    • Spotify/Netflix/etc.: $20

    • Student Loan: $400 (min payment is $300)

    • Car Loan: $360

    • Car Insurance: $100

    • Gas: $60

    • Clothing: $200 (not usually the case, but it was this year! Needed a wardrobe overhaul)

    • Pet Insurance: $55 (parents have dog, I just pay for the insurance)

    • Other: $300 (Gifts, cosmetics/skincare, medical copays, other entertainment, etc.)

    Total: $2,510

    Depending on the month, this can go up to $3,000 (maintenance or emergencies or whatnot)

    Debt Remaining:

    • Student Loan: $8,900 @ 3-4%

    • Car Loan: $2,600 @ 0%

    Retirement/Savings:

    • Emergency Fund: $16,000

    • 401k: $17,000 – Right now this is at a 100% up to 8% match, but with the new company, will be a 50% match up to 3% (so 6% for me). I'm also not vested with my current company, so that sucks (just transitioned in July).

    • Roth IRA: $1,100

    • Vanguard Fund Admiral Shares: $14,900 Just a note: I'm slowly moving the Admiral shares over to the Roth IRA and buying VFIAX (per a CPA suggestion, but that was before the job change).

    My plan is to throw the bonus/some of my paycheck at my student loans until they are all gone, increase my 401k contribution, then start to contribute to my Roth, but beyond that, I have no clue. Any suggestions, or even other ways to improve? Am I on the right track? All are welcome!

    submitted by /u/whatisit_throwaway
    [link] [comments]

    Poormans Budgeting spreadsheet

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 04:56 AM PST

    I just wanted to take a moment to thank PF. I started the Poormans Budgeting spreadsheet that you can find in the tools section. What a game changer. I reccomend everyone lurking start it December 1st. It really gives you a birds eye view of where money is going. This is the first month I actually didn't have to pull from savings to pay bills. It gives you a budget by day and automatically adds or subtracts where you will be come the end of the month. Give it a shot. Here's a link if you have trouble finding the spreadsheet. https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2tymvf/poormans_budgeting_spreadsheet

    submitted by /u/diditvd
    [link] [comments]

    How do I "vet" a CPA? I got a referral from a friend, so I've heard second hand that the CPA is good, but is there anything I need to do in order to be responsible?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 05:57 PM PST

    I feel like this might be a silly question, but a friend referred their CPA to me, and I'm unable to meet them face to face but will be having a short consult / talk through my tax situation with them on the phone.

    I'm feeling 99.99% confident given it is my friend who gave the referral, but that said I don't know if there is anything I'd be STUPID not to at least look into. I'm going to be talking to this person and in theory giving over a lot of personal financial information, and likely soon enough be providing documents with SOC numbers, etc.

    I just want to know if there is anything I should do just to be safe / careful.

    Thank you!

    edit: I worried that I spelled "vet" wrong, and it should be something fancy like "vette" or "vett", but according to wikipedia at least...

    To vet was originally a horse-racing term, referring to the requirement that a horse be checked for health and soundness by a veterinarian before being allowed to race. Thus, it has taken the general meaning "to check".[2]

    submitted by /u/kevysaysbenice
    [link] [comments]

    Combining Car Insurance with Significant Other

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:18 PM PST

    Is it possible to bundle car insurance together with my significant other if we are not married? We want to make sure it is possible so that we can drive each other's cars without risk and also lowering our premium.

    submitted by /u/eksil
    [link] [comments]

    Wife and I live comfortably, and are very intelligent people, but we're both very inexperienced when it comes to finances, savings, investing, etc. We just received a large sum of money. Where do we start?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 06:55 PM PST

    I'm not sure how much background is required here, how many numbers are required to give enough context to get help or if this too broad of a question or topic to bring into discussion. All I really know is that we recently were just given a large sum of money from my wife's grandparents in the form of two checks. The money was originally supposed to be some sort of account that was based in stocks and would grow annually, which we would take ownership of as a wedding gift. However, we had lost the papers to make that transfer and her grandparents live quite far away, so seeing them is a rare occasion, so the last time we visited them we simply asked for the money as checks rather than take the account.

    Now that we have them, however, the grandmother is saying she doesn't understand our rationale for taking the money as checks and not simply leaving them in the account to keep growing, and that people of our class/status (middle class) need to manage our money wisely in investing accounts rather than let it languish in banks in order to get anywhere in the world or something similar to that. For the record, this was simply the easier way to take ownership of the money because we don't see them very often and we wanted this transfer of funds to happen sooner rather than later (just in case something should happen and we then can't get the funds at all or get wrapped up in anything that requires legal intervention to get what's owed to us). We had considered depositing these checks into our shared savings account and keeping it for emergencies, a down-payment on a house, buying a car, or some other similar life-changing event that would require such a large sum, but now these recent remarks have us realizing we really don't know what we're doing with our money.

    We're both very intelligent people, both college-educated (I personally hold a BS in Computer Science), and any kind of math up until Calculus is easy for me to understand and process, but the whole world of finance can seem extremely confusing and filled with more buzz words and confusing terminology than actual numbers. So I guess ultimately my question is... what do?

    submitted by /u/mathiasschnell
    [link] [comments]

    Can't find Employment. Savings are gone. Options?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 06:23 PM PST

    Took keep this short and sweet:

    I have been looking for employment for months (literally anything that pays) and working odd, one-off jobs to keep my nostrils above water. I checked out an unemployment website, but it looks like I won't qualify for any kind of assistance being that I left my last "real" job back in May, of my own volition. Additionally, I have applied for food stamps so I can at least feed myself.

    I have a 2017 tax return to file, but it will take weeks to see any of it.

    My questions are:

    Do I have any other options for short term assistance?

    and...

    Is H&R Block generally faster in terms of getting their customers' prior year returns back, or am I stuck with waiting the alleged 6 weeks?

    Any advice is greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/DerelictMyOwnBalls
    [link] [comments]

    I changed jobs to better my mental health and now I’m financially stressed to death. $6 pay cut.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 10:50 AM PST

    When I worked at Company A I was okay with paying all my bills and actually started to decrease my debt. Now that I work for Company B I can hardly afford $20 for groceries.

    I have 3 credit cards: $9,025.05 APR 24.98% $7,579.80 APR 21.99% $3,035.73 APR 26.49%

    Student Loans: $10,514.46

    Personal Loans: $1,700 $500

    Car: $17,000 $480/month

    Rent: $665

    Bills: Water $45 Electric $50 Auto Ins. $145

    I bring home about $1,800 a month. Everything is on time with payments except my credit cards and student loans are two months behind. I have ZERO savings and currently -$140 in my bank account. I let my stupid early 20s rack up credit card debt and did not manage my money at all. I haven't bought groceries in a month because I honestly can't afford it and I've been eating whatever is in the pantry. My credit score has tanked since my late payments and now are in the 500s. I don't know what to do and I really can't live like this much longer.

    My questions are where do I start? What about debt relief? I've heard the good and the bad. I really don't want to go bankrupt. How do people do it themselves that have gotten out of debt?

    Please help.

    Sorry for formatting I'm on mobile.

    submitted by /u/ajs9119
    [link] [comments]

    Uhaul overcharging a month later?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 06:19 PM PST

    Hi all,

    Money has been tight for my family lately, and tonight really put the nail in the coffin.

    I went to check our checking account and saw that uhaul charged me over 100 dollars, only leaving my family 17 dollars for the next two weeks . I called in and they said I kept the Uhaul for over 19 days, when I only had it for maybe 8 hours.

    I filed a complaint but I was told I would hear something in a week or so. I do not know where to go from here. We need the money back as soon as possible, especially considering the charges are incorrect.

    Do any of you have experience with this? Any tips or advice is much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/lovelynlace
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to establish credit; is Discover card legit or scam?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 05:45 PM PST

    hey guys, so quick question: is this secured discover credit card legit or fake? literally, every other secured credit card has a fee or no cashback but this one is quite literally the ONLY one that seems too good to be true. No annual fee, 24.99% standard variable purchase APR (although I don't understand this but it seems like this only applies to debts and I dont plan to get into any debts).

    I'm young and starting my credit fresh so I can't do unsecured credit card as I literally have no history so secured ones is all I can do so just wanted to see how people start to build credit. Is there a card better than this? what is the best way to make credit? also, is there a limit to make many CC i can get? Can I apply for CC outside my bank? I have bank account in Chase so Can I even apply for Discover Cards?? also, does applying for CC tarnish my credit scores?

    submitted by /u/OnlyRegister
    [link] [comments]

    My mom is getting foreclosed on.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:07 AM PST

    My parents have always been broke, but when my dad passed away from brain cancer, that's when my mom really started spiraling down to financial ruin. her one bedroom apartment is getting foreclosed on. She keeps insisting that she has 10K coming in at some point, but she's been saying that for literally years now, and I don't think she'll get that money, Even if she does, it'll only extend, not solve her problem. What are the options here? It seems to me like it's easier to offer to let her move in with my wife and me than to pay her rent from now on.

    submitted by /u/laughpuppy23
    [link] [comments]

    Small business owner, first year. Cant hold onto money.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 05:39 PM PST

    Hi all, and thanks in advance.

    I started up a small trades based business at the start of the year. I was worried that I would be personally bankrolling it to cover expenses for 2+ years before turning profit, but the opposite has happened.

    I'm not making enough to survive on and I still have 2 jobs on the side to cover bills, but I am in positive cashflow which is amazing but it has led to a problem I never saw coming:

    I keep spending all the bloody money I've been earning. It is on stuff I can use for the business, but I'll buy a $500 drill instead of the $200 one that's just as good for what I need it for.

    I have built up a cash float of several thousand to cover job expenses and unforeseen issues. As soon as I get more than that in my business account or I know I have a decent sum coming in from a job ive done, I'll go and excessively spend the excess funds until I'm back at, or below the base line cash amount.

    I've never been well off. I was living pay day to pay day until about 18 months ago. And this money is burning holes in my pockets.

    How do I stop this behavior so I can save for later purchases like work vehicles and large equipment?

    submitted by /u/Bintruck
    [link] [comments]

    Receiving several thousand dollars from bonds/insurance policy from grandmother

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 05:36 PM PST

    Hello, I am receiving several thousand dollars from my grandmother from bonds/insurance policy in my name.

    I'm just wondering what my best bet is for saving for the future/investing. It's not a sizable amount (Above 10000) but is between 3500-5000 dollars USD.

    I was planning on just depositing into a savings account I have, I have no expenses or debt and am a 19 years old college student.

    I know some people invest into Mutual funds or things with higher returns than savings accounts, however I'm not sure if it's worth putting into due to fees from operating those accounts.

    submitted by /u/Damnlagscape
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment