• Breaking News

    Sunday, November 25, 2018

    Morgan Stanley TV commercial from the 1990's...lol Investing

    Morgan Stanley TV commercial from the 1990's...lol Investing


    Morgan Stanley TV commercial from the 1990's...lol

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 08:36 PM PST

    One of the funniest commercials that made the late 1990's a meme:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2cvDi8wwTA

    submitted by /u/roygbivy
    [link] [comments]

    How did T Bills do 20%?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 10:28 AM PST

    I don't get it. The interest rate is 1.5%, yet this Bloomberg article says:

    U.S. Treasury bills lived up to their reputation as the safest, most even-keeled asset of all, earning risk-adjusted returns of almost 20 percent --

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-23/hunger-games-market-has-just-one-champion-as-2018-limps-to-end

    What am I missing? And more importantly, how do I make that?

    submitted by /u/chopnoamsky
    [link] [comments]

    Which international stock market appears to offer the most upside potential?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 12:24 AM PST

    [Serious] Smart investors of r/investing - What are your reasons for thinking there will/will not be an upcoming recession or significant downturn in 2019?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 09:06 AM PST

    Lots of smart people around here, it would be nice to get a varying perspective of what people think is ahead. Obviously nobody can tell the future, but what are the signs you see of bad or good to come?

    submitted by /u/EddieTheEcho
    [link] [comments]

    A chrome extension to share company announcements in your coworkers' Chrome New Tab

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 04:06 AM PST

    Reddit, a couple weeks ago my co-founder and I had some fun developing Sametab.com. It's a chrome extension that lets organizations send company announcements in all their coworkers' new tab.

    No useless overhead in having your employees using a new product. No company-wide announcements in emails that got buried with no replies.

    This was inspired by a tweet from Alex McCaw: https://twitter.com/maccaw/status/1050505304381644802

    If this sounds a little odd, here's how it works:

    1. Install the Chrome extension, open a new tab and you'll see sample content. Hit the signup button and create a new account.

    1. Now that you have an account, configure your company's page and invite your coworkers (they have to signup with their work email).

    2. You're ready to create and publish announcements from the admin area. Everyone in your company will see them when opening a new tab.

    Looking forward to hearing your feedback and if you want to help us spread the voice, here's a handy retweet: https://twitter.com/leonardofed/status/1056667649474772993

    submitted by /u/caligolae
    [link] [comments]

    Daily advice thread. All questions about your personal situation should be asked here

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 04:04 AM PST

    If your question is "I have $10,000, what do I do?" or anything similar. There is no single answer to this question, but we will also need A LOT MORE information if we are to give some sort of answer

    • How old are you?
    • Are you employed/making income? How much?
    • What are your objectives with this money? (buy a house? Retirement savings?)
    • What is your risk tolerance? (Do you mind risking it at blackjack or do you need to know its 100% safe?)
    • What are you current holdings? (Do you already have exposure to specific funds and sectors?)
    • Any other assets? House paid off? Cars? Expensive girlfriend? (not really an asset)
    • What is your time horizon? Do you need this money next month? Next 20yrs?
    • Any big debts?
    • Any other relevant financial information will be useful to give you a proper answer.

    Be aware that these answers are just opinions of Redditors and should be used as a starting point for your research. You should strongly consider seeing a registered financial rep before making any financial decisions!

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Should I worry about Bitcoin?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 06:17 PM PST

    Or any other for of cryptocurrency? I'm just having a hard time grasping what impact this technology is having on the economy as a whole. People toss around buzzwords and there is a lot of hype.

    Last year's crypto crash -at least to me- did not seem to make any impact on other markets. This tells me that participation in cryptocurrency is still relatively low.

    The technology itself also is a mystery to me. Apparently it's the next big thing.

    submitted by /u/alpacas_anonymous
    [link] [comments]

    What would be the potential risks when buying into MSFT?

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 02:25 AM PST

    They seem to be pretty low-risk and diversified but I think I need some fresh eyes to look at this

    submitted by /u/EmployerOfTheMonth
    [link] [comments]

    MarketWatch

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 10:27 PM PST

    Soon to play a Market-Watch game against a class, I want to go into investing but have never poked my head around in it much. Any good ways to make sure I pull out the win but also good advice for investing in real business? The starting value is 30,000$ just looking for companies and pointers in order to up my game. :)

    submitted by /u/RLeckie
    [link] [comments]

    Average down or stop loss.. what's your pick?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 02:10 PM PST

    I'm still debating on what strategy to use. Any insight would be helpful considering I'm torn between the 2. If I use stop loss I'll buy back at a later time when the stock is even lower, but at the same time averaging down lowers the average amount you pay.. hmm.. thoughts or other strategies?

    submitted by /u/relaxedallday
    [link] [comments]

    Beginner trader? I'll help

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 01:19 AM PST

    No this is not a scam and I dont want your money. I just feel like people don't know where to begin a lot of the time. I can answer any questions you might have and I can set you up with a stock account. I'll show you some of the ins and outs as well. Feel free to message me :)

    submitted by /u/relaxedallday
    [link] [comments]

    How much has the S&P500 benefited from globalism?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 09:23 AM PST

    I was thinking about the S&P500 the other day and I realised it doesn't necessary go up with the US economy. The S&P500 only goes up if the market cap of the 500 largest companies goes up. Theoretically if there was an economic shift towards small and medium size businesses the S&P500 could drop while the economy of the US overall could increase.

    That got me thinking, in recent years digital communication technology has allowed companies to grow far beyond towns and cities, but to national and international levels. Because of economies of scale these companies have huge advantages over smaller local businesses so often they'll have their margins squeezed or they'll simply be put out of business.

    Does anyone do how much has this shift towards large international companies benefited the S&P500 over the last 20 or so years? Do you think this trend will continue or slow? I'm wondering if perhaps the average 7~% return per year will become less likely going forward as these global companies run out of markets to expand into?

    submitted by /u/kriptonicx
    [link] [comments]

    Alternative investment options

    Posted: 25 Nov 2018 12:40 AM PST

    Given the shaky and volatile stock markets this year and may be next year ( not a prediction) what are the alternative investment options which provide modest returns. I have a 200k in my 401k which I am planning to leave as is in a mutual fund which tracks s&p 500 and I plan to contribute full 19k next year. The question here is is to reduce or change my personal investment about 100k in fidelity to a alternative investment which can yields a consistent return of 4% or more if possible?

    Looking for advise or directions....

    submitted by /u/awesome_being
    [link] [comments]

    Regular S&P 500 or the growth version?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 06:33 AM PST

    Basically SPY vs SPYG, VOO vs VOOG, IVV vs IVW

    What are the pros and cons? Thanks in advance!

    submitted by /u/liao24
    [link] [comments]

    Where to begin?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 05:41 PM PST

    Here is some background, I hold two bachelors in math and chemistry, and am currently applying for a PhD in Mathematics, I only include this to show that I am good with numbers and anything quantitative rather than qualitative. Given my background, what would be the best kind of investing to look into if I want to do it independently? I'm just a student, so I'm looking to invest around $1000 (all my savings actually haha). What would be a reasonable return I can expect? I've been reading a lot about forex, but a lot of it looks like people trying to sell you things rather than being an profitable and viable trading method.

    submitted by /u/TheJuice111
    [link] [comments]

    How would you invest an extra $1k a month?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 11:34 PM PST

    Im 40, wife is 37 and we have our 1 child (10 months old)

    Im self employed. I net around $150k pre tax and she nets around $35k after taxes.

    Goal is to make money to pay off our house faster and build for retirement.

    Wife maxes out her 401k at work. I have to do my own investing or the rest of our investing.

    Not opposed to risk but would would like maybe 40% be risk 60% be safer investments.

    I dont have a lot invested currently as most of our savings went to the down payment of our of current house which we will be in for at least 18 years (until our daughter graduates.) And to paying off our student loans. I own about $5k in stocks that I bought a year ago.

    Mortgage is our only debt. Cars are paid off. Credit cards are paid in full monthly.

    Ideally would like to retire in 20 years when I am 60. Dream scenario is we would also have enough money to buy a cabin in the northwoods a couple of hours from our house. I have also thought about buying a property like this to airbnb as some extra income and to help with the mortgage and taxes on the property.

    I am meeting with a financial adviser next week that came recommended from my CPA and is her FA.

    I am also hoping some of the investment can be used as a first page deduction and hopefully drop us down a tax bracket.

    I used $1k a month as a starter. I can invest more than that but it seems like a good start.

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/Birdknowsbest21
    [link] [comments]

    STASH DEBIT?!?!

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 11:21 PM PST

    Okay, I'm trying to understand the appeal to the Stash Debit Card. I've looked into it and the benefits don't seem to be that rewarding. People have posted pictures of their newly received card, seemingly to brag that they were higher up on the list to receive it. I get it, it's an exclusivity thing. You're one of the first to have this "pretty" metal card. Kind of cool I suppose. It also weighs "ALOT"! People are posting pictures and telling stories about how much this weighs and how they have to show it off, but that has no actual financial advantage. Again, it's cool, but what are the actual benefits?

    The whole point of Stash was to invest money for future profits. Personally, I'm on at least 5 year investments with no withdraws. I assumed other people would be on the same plan to build their investments over time and not to spend them during a correction. I know some people are responsible investors, but using this card to get money back at a fast food place does not seem worth it. Just use a credit card with cash back, no? The money you're spending originally is coming from your savings so...

    Yes, Stash will invest up to 5% on certain purchases, but it's coming from your Stash account (The money you're supposed to be investing, growing and saving). From the site - "5% cash back on first $500 spent before February 28, 2019" What is it after February 28th? Why would you want to spend your long term investment?! This card seems to be just a way for Stash to get more money from fees and user's portfolios to be spent. And you know most people will be losing money if they use their card during a correction, bear market or if they invested at an ATH, which many people did.

    Now for some insights: If you want to deposit cash, not from the app, there is a $4.95 fee It takes 2-4 business days for transfers to be completed You cannot use Stash Debit outside of the US. There is a $2.50 withdraw fee from non-Stash ATMS and $.50 balance inquiry fee.

    Maximum withdraw from Stash ATM or tellers is $500 and the daily spend limit is $10,000. This won't be an issue since most people here have less than that in their account. But again, spending this money is money you personally invested in order to make more money. Will people actually think to not take out money during a bear market/correction/recession? Doubt it. At this point you're losing money by spending while your ROI is down.

    Then there's capital gains/losses. Do most Founders understand how this works? Are you prepared to do all the time to get the results right for your taxes? Or at least hire someone that will. I'd never had a capital gains tax issue on my taxes until recently and it was actually very easy to misinterpret (Been doing my own taxes since I had my first job). Again, and not to sound negative, but are most people on here familiar with how Stash will affect taxes? I wasn't at all and I'm still learning.

    Most people just panic when the portfolio is down a few percent and wonder if they should sell and "Cut their losses." But really? these are the people that were most excited about this Stash Debit card. Honestly just see this causing more problems from people that don't use it responsibly.

    Lastly, I don't mean this negatively. I'm honestly just trying to understand the appeal and benefits. I just sent $5 to get a reserve spot for Stash banking. Yes, I know I won't get the metal card, but I'll have the card for when and if I ever decide to use it.

    submitted by /u/icookbeets
    [link] [comments]

    Stockpile vs. Ally

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 01:12 PM PST

    Has anyone had experience using both Ally.com and Stockpile.com? I'm currently using Ally to house my primary brokerage account (outside of my retirement accounts). The site charges $4.95 per trade (buy OR sell), allows me to DRIP on individual stocks, and has a pretty user friendly UI for reviewing past performance and information about currently trading stocks. From what I can tell, Stockpile only charges $.99 per trade, but I am skeptical as to why they charge nearly 5 times less for what sounds like the same service. I would appreciate any insight or feedback others out there have about these two offerings - especially if someone has used both.

    submitted by /u/Bladen001
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I buy silver at market value?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 10:40 PM PST

    Hello folks. Long story short, I want to buy .999 silver, preferably as American Eagle 1 ounce coins. For as close to Market or even under if possible. Silver is at a huge low at around 14/ oz. I expect this to inflate in the next 5-10 years. Online minting companies are at 17-18 with shipping not even included. Politely offensive prices.

    submitted by /u/ArianaGrandesCum
    [link] [comments]

    Any thoughts on the Vanguard Energy ETF (VDE)?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 06:50 AM PST

    With the recent pullback in oil prices, any thoughts on the longer term (5-10 years) outlook on ETFs like $VDE? It is almost completely weighted in the ONG sector. 65% holdings are in industry heavyweights like Exxon, Chevron etc.

    submitted by /u/rvathrwaway
    [link] [comments]

    Stock trading vs forex trading

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 05:27 PM PST

    I call all investors to explain which market is more promising for retail traders.

    I come from a forex background but like to keep an open mind.

    Stock prices seem less dependent on technical analysis, and more to do with speculation but that's just my opinion.

    submitted by /u/Rkingpin
    [link] [comments]

    Interactive Brokers Forex Conversion

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 02:39 PM PST

    Sorry this is a really noob question, but how do I use IB to convert USD to EUR and vice versa? I see there's a EUR.USD Idealpro instrument. If I buy that I'm paying USD and ending up with a balance of EUR right? If I sell that what's happening since I have no EUR? Do I end up using margin and with a short position in EUR? If I did have EUR, would it use that instead?

    Finally what determines which is the "primary currency" of a pair? For example, converting CAD/USD, I need to search for USD, but converting JPY/CAD, I need to search CAD. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/jvi
    [link] [comments]

    DCF Model question

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 04:44 PM PST

    Hey everyone, I'm writing a VBA project in excel that automates a DCF valuation and spits out a 5-year target share price. I know that there's probably tons of free tools that do the same thing online, but I wanted to learn visual basic so I figured doing it myself would be a good idea. It's in basic stages right now, but I wanted to seek out some advice for the layout of the project. In terms of the FCF calculation, I currently have a pretty basic setup that ignores depreciation in all of the forecasted years (1-5). I know that the math of an FCF calls for subtraction of depreciation pre-tax, and then the addition of that number post-tax, but I am worried about the integrity of the model with an added layer of assumptions. If I include the depreciation in the forecasted years, I would create a calculator that figures the average annual depreciation expense as a % of current assets and then apply that figure to each forecasted year's assets number. Is this wonky math/too many assumptions to be including in a DCF model, or would this strengthen the model?

    submitted by /u/SamTheDeadHead
    [link] [comments]

    Diversifying an investment in a volatile market

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 06:35 PM PST

    If you had $1 million to invest right now, how would you invest it? (exclude socioeconomic investments like paying off student loans). Interested to here what kinds of stocks in what sectors would have potential upside with minimal risk. New information is being released to the public every day and it seems to have a large impact on the stock market. Let me know your thoughts,,,

    submitted by /u/mkagan23
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment