• Breaking News

    Wednesday, November 28, 2018

    Accounting When a HOTCPA is out of your league and you settle for the next best thing.

    Accounting When a HOTCPA is out of your league and you settle for the next best thing.


    When a HOTCPA is out of your league and you settle for the next best thing.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 01:30 PM PST

    /r/Accounting bingo

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 03:13 AM PST

    CPA exam tommorrow

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:51 PM PST

    Got my exam on Friday , any advice?

    submitted by /u/mrrobotandfsociety
    [link] [comments]

    Too many new clients!!!! How to deal with it?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 05:30 PM PST

    Everyday it seems like the Partners are talking about a new huge audit client we just landed and there just isn't enough staff/seniors/managers to service all these clients. I know its not necessarily my problem but I can't help but get stressed out knowing that means more work is going to be placed on my already full busy season schedule. I work at a small regional size firm and am a Senior/Manager. Has anyone else dealt with something like this? How do I keep my sanity and avoid being taken advantage of with crazy workloads that result in less being accomplished due to being spread to thin?

    submitted by /u/blackmamba24
    [link] [comments]

    My office’s approach to fixing our drug addiction problem...

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 05:52 AM PST

    Why are there so many serious posts about getting an IRS job lately?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 07:34 PM PST

    Is this just a bunch of thirsty accountants hoping to get paid to look at premium snapchats all day? This sub went from b4,b4,b4 to irs overnight.

    submitted by /u/LowCalCheesecake
    [link] [comments]

    IRS Revenue Agent eligibility.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 11:55 AM PST

    Hello everyone,

    I took the IRS Revenue Agent assessment today and found it pretty tricky. A few hours after I took the assessment, I got an email saying that I was deemed ineligible for the position. Oh well.

    I wish the rest of you the best of luck with this role if you are interested in it!

    submitted by /u/beefcake_123
    [link] [comments]

    Will leaving B4 after 1 year stunt my salary progression?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 03:36 PM PST

    Auditing isn't bad, but it clearly isn't my passion. I definitely saw it as a stepping stone to a cushy job and a decent salary 2-3 years down the road. But I am really wanting to look for an accounting job that I won't despise and a company/office setting with people I enjoy. I will have my CPA before I make the move to industry (just waiting on the experience/hours part).

    Plus, I kind of want my own cube/desk, instead of traveling to a different client/job every 2-3 weeks.

    (Basically convince me to leave B4, please lol)

    submitted by /u/--Stuff--
    [link] [comments]

    Intern training week travel arrangements

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 05:59 PM PST

    Hey guys,

    I accepted a big 4 internship for Winter '19 and will be flying to training week in January. We recently got the information for scheduling our flights & it says we're supposed to pick the cheapest one. The cheapest flight on the website is from a seemingly unreliable airline & I would prefer to take a more reputable one (ex. Delta, United) to avoid issues. I know this is a somewhat silly question but will they care that I didn't choose the cheapest one if it is within the acceptable price range? (I don't want to do something stupid before I even start my internship).

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/cluelessintern007
    [link] [comments]

    Those who have gotten out of A/P, A/R, Collections, and clerical-type accounting jobs, how did you manage it?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 05:27 PM PST

    As you can probably guess, I am stuck in the mind-numbing role of an A/R Analyst paying around $37k. I graduated in May from one of the top accounting programs in the country (we're known as a Public Ivy similar to Michigan, UCLA, etc.) with a solid 3.7 GPA and am quite clearly being significantly underpaid and living paycheck to paycheck.

    Yes, I admit I made mistakes during college (choosing non-accounting related internships during University) that contributed heavily towards my current situation, but I'd like to focus instead on what I can do instead of what I should have done.

    I've read several posts claiming that A/R and A/P are quite inescapable but surely some of you have managed to move on to Staff Accountant and similar roles. If so, how, and what advice could you pass on to those in my position?

    For context, my company is small (20 or so employees) and our accounting department consists of four people. Obtaining CPA certification would not be possible here as my direct manager is not a CPA. My state's CPA board requires one year of work under direct supervision of a CPA. Thank you guys for any help!

    TLDR; Overqualified, underpaid, and stuck in A/R. How do I escape?

    submitted by /u/DanielSnipeCelly
    [link] [comments]

    Do you care if a staff comes in later than usual?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 09:39 AM PST

    currently having a senior who expects us to be punctual, despite knowing that we put in work when it needed. I'm not sure why some seniors do this, those that don't stress out on small stuff, I LOVE working with and often stayed late to get stuff done.

    submitted by /u/Hamanutra
    [link] [comments]

    Where can I verify I have my 150 credits or how close I am? Beyond just my transcript.

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 09:37 PM PST

    This might sound stupid.

    I think I'm like 8 credits short but I'm using the assumption that once I satisfy my states upper division and accounting credits I can take any class I want. Is there somewhere I can actually verify how much more I need?

    This would substantially impact how much time I would put into getting eligible, and the cost, too.

    submitted by /u/VariableBooleans
    [link] [comments]

    How do I handle this coworker?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 12:18 PM PST

    I'm 24, got into internal audit. The problem is, when I got hired, they officially gave me a "senior auditor" position, and I have a co-worker in his 40s always giving me shit or criticizing me or making sure my boss knows when I make a mistake. He's respected, I respect him, he definitely knows his shit and definitely knows more than me, he's just hard to work with.

    My coworkers have a regular "auditor" position". My boss has a "chief auditor" position and his boss has a "auditor manager position".

    In practice I do the same thing as my other co-workers with the "auditor" position, except I have a Big 4 background and I do additional financial audit stuff and I speak a fluent second language no one else in our team speaks except our manager, and I have soft skills like managing, training and supervising people. Those are the only skills I have that my other 2 co-workers with the lower rank don't have.

    This co-worker doesn't directly confront me, he's just overall passive aggressive with me, and I understand. I'd be annoyed if there was someone younger than me in my team with a higher salary and a better rank that knows less than me.

    No one points out I'm a senior auditor, not even myself, because I want to avoid any fights. The third auditor is the same age as me and he's friendly and doesn't give me shit. My boss is friendly and doesn't give me shit. I only get shit from this co-worker in his 40s.

    Just an example, he "reminds" me that I have to fill out a review form when I was the one that reminded him that all our team has to complete the form. Then he tells me to look for the form in the wrong place. When I print the wrong form he then tells "what are you doing bro, the form is right here" and shows me the link on his screen, while our boss was listening. Scenarios like this happen a lot.

    submitted by /u/labradf0rd
    [link] [comments]

    Big 4 expenses?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 02:27 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I have just a quick question about Big 4 expenses. For example, if you travel with your team to a different state to do an audit for a week, do you pay for everything (flight/gas, hotel, food) with your credit card, and then are reimbursed? Or, do you have some sort of company card?

    If you use your own card, is it possible to rack up a bunch of points/rewards?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Machew23
    [link] [comments]

    Custom Office Supplies

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 02:37 PM PST

    Hey Christmas is getting pretty close and I was wondering what to get some of my friends when I saw this cool staple remover on a coworker's desk.

    I was wondering if there were any interesting things you guys would find useful on a day to day basis, cause usually if a gift isn't money it gets used like twice and then in the garage it goes.

    Last year I got everyone some coasters because alot of us drink coffee and I dont like rings.

    submitted by /u/RedXertus
    [link] [comments]

    Good to know, Canadian CPAs are obsessed with (not?) being boring

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 01:06 PM PST

    Advisory: Why aren't more people doing it?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 03:02 PM PST

    I'm trying to understand advisory's role in public accounting, and why more people are not doing it. Relative to audit and tax, the pay and hours seem so much better. I realize "advisory" is an umbrella term for many different groups performing specific functions. However, the anecdotal accounts from this subreddit make it seem like a comparable paradise.

    So, my questions:

    • Is advisory more vulnerable to downmarket employment trends?

    • Is it relatively difficult to get an advisory role at the entry-level?

    • Am I missing something else?

    submitted by /u/florentinefish
    [link] [comments]

    QuickBooks Chat Messenger- How to use

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 10:07 PM PST

    QuickBooks messenger is a feature that helps with the communication between QuickBooks users in multi-user environments. With this function you can see who is logged in, chat with them, and perhaps other users also log out so that you can do important single user functions. If you want to know where this chatting icon finds so visit on QBProsolution and have any issue so call on toll-free 1800-469-4817.

    submitted by /u/Emmajhones1
    [link] [comments]

    Job interview with excel test

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 10:06 PM PST

    I have an interview with a large marketing firm that I want to get into and I might be over analyzing this but I wanted to see if I can get some opinions on the best way to approach this.

    "You'll be given a list of transactions and will be asked to put together an income statement, balance sheet, and statement of cash flow. The manager is looking to see not only if you can successfully and accurately complete the assignment, but how you articulate your thought process behind your approach."

    I'm pretty sure they are looking for advanced excel skills but I'm not sure how to include that into such basic financial reports.

    Any ideas?

    submitted by /u/Honey_Drizzle
    [link] [comments]

    Need some personalized career advice

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 09:42 PM PST

    Sorry, for a long post, but I think details here might be important.

    I am currently in my mid 40s having graduated from college in the mid 90s with a degree in mathematics. Lets just say life did not work out according to plan and I've been working the past 15 years doing financial analysis for a litigation consulting firm. (Prior to that, I have six years experience in computer technical support.) A big frustration with my employer in the past was that I was very good at data input and the company I work for had me pigeon holed in that specific duty while people with lesser qualification and poorer reviews were promoted over me. So, in frustration, I decided to go back to school and work on an accounting degree. Notably, at the time I started going back to school, I was making a shade over $30K and accounting internships were paying about $40K, so I was looking at getting a good pay raise right out of the gate.

    However, over the past three years, quite a lot has changed. My employer has given me a salary adjustment to compensate for the years I didn't get raises during the great recession. I've also received two promotions and am now in a position where I am doing more analytical work that is better suited towards my math degree than the menial input I had been stuck in for decade. The end result is that my minimum salary is now $52K, but between quarterly and discretionary bonuses, I'm set to clear $56K by the end of the year. I'm not entirely sure that I would want to do this, but if I were to put in the hours to get some SAS training or a CFA or CFE certification, its plausible I could set myself up for another promotion within a couple of years.

    I finished my accounting degree in March of this year, but due to some circumstances going on at work, I've been working 55+ hour weeks since April and have not had time to get back to accounting studies, although my hours will be going back down to 40-45 now that we have resolved our staffing problems. My family and I would like to move to a smaller city in a few years (i.e. someplace less than 1MM population, maybe closer to half that) and everyone keeps saying that getting a CPA is a "golden ticket" to having job security no matter where I go. On the other hand, its not clear what I kind of job I could find in a more rural area with this skills I have. So if I do want to "make the switch" into accounting, I need to start doing this now. However, what is making the situation uncertain for me is that, as noted above, my work situation now is nearly reversed from what it was even two years ago. I would now have to take a significant pay cut to transition into a entry level position at a CPA firm. (A small pay cut I wouldn't mind, but down from $56 to $40 is a big drop.) Additionally, most CPAs I have talked to transitioned out of accounting to go into finance but I'm trying to go the other way around. So unless I can find a firm who values the financial and forensic experience I already have, its beginning to feel like taking an accounting job might be a step backwards.

    For some additional context, I live in a southern suburb of the Portland, OR area. I have no desire at all to work for a big 4 firm. Aside from requiring over an hour commute to get into and out of downtown, I really do not wish play the fast pace rate race game that I've heard typically goes on in those companies. I'm getting to a point in my life where I value my work/life balance. In particular, I have a medical condition that can result ulcers if I encounter too much stress and I've actually had an illness once this year due to the extended hours I've worked over the past 8 months. (I can handle 50+ work weeks for about for two or three months at a time, so tax season would be OK, but what I've been doing lately is more than twice that.) Everything I've read indicates that a small/local CPA firm is more likely going to provide the kind of atmosphere I'm looking for.

    So questions....

    Is it really worth switching careers for me at this point?

    How are firms likely to view my "haitus" from my accounting studies since getting my degree? If I explain to them I was working crazy amounts of OT for seven months, will that be looked on positively, or at least satisfactorily?

    My job search skills really are not very good. I can get some help with the counseling office at the university, but it takes over a month to get an appointment with them, so its really hard to work with a counselor on a regular basis. Are there other resources out there for helping accountants find jobs? Given that I'm being a bit "picky" about what kind of firm I want to work for, how much am I hurting myself in my job search? (My GPA reported on my transcript is 3.96, if that matters.)

    Any other constructive advice would be welcome.

    submitted by /u/davypi
    [link] [comments]

    I want to learn businesses process like receivable,account payable,supply chain etcp

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 09:39 PM PST

    My background : finished cs degree and got the opportunity to work in Microsoft Gp ERP. Clients usually asks for customisation In existing windows like sop transaction window, pop etc

    I m working as a Microsoft Gp Technical consultant. I finds it is difficult for me to understand the business requirements of clients since I don't have knowledge related to business process. Now I have 3 years of experience.

    I m looking forward to stop working for two years and pursue higher studies related to accounting and business process in order to attain the relevant knowledge. Will it be helpful if I go for higher studies??? Or you guys have any other suggestions. Please help me out guys I have been thinking a lot about this.

    submitted by /u/appuhawk
    [link] [comments]

    Messed up

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 12:31 PM PST

    Recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIN and I responded to talk to them and his reply said he wanted to chat... I screenshotted the conversation with him and was going to send it to my girlfriend - however my dumbass sent it to my manager instead... how fucked am I?

    submitted by /u/FlyHiDipLo
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone here successfully gotten a job after 6 months to a year of not working?

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 09:13 PM PST

    Section 199A

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 03:15 PM PST

    Anyone have an article, website, YouTube video that they have found extremely helpful in fully understanding the new 199A deduction?

    I know there won't be anything perfect out there since we don't have complete guidance on things but I am looking for something close.

    submitted by /u/Razmada70
    [link] [comments]

    2nd Round Interview with Industry in Structures

    Posted: 28 Nov 2018 09:09 PM PST

    Hello all, I have a 2nd round interview with a structures company coming up next week, but I am not sure what to expect because I was already interviewed in the first round by a senior accountant and the controller. The 2nd interview has me being interviewed by an HR partner and a Manufacturing Director. Is this normal? I don't even know what questions I should expect, nor what questions I should ask.

    submitted by /u/longrodq
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment