• Breaking News

    Saturday, November 24, 2018

    Accounting this aint it chief

    Accounting this aint it chief


    this aint it chief

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 06:18 PM PST

    In light of recent events

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 08:37 PM PST

    Got a laugh out of this today

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 06:00 PM PST

    [CPA] I think I just passed REG on my second try, which means i probably failed. AMA!

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 12:17 PM PST

    Come on AICPA, help a brotha out.

    submitted by /u/thisguyfucks45
    [link] [comments]

    Deciding to not drink B4 Kool-Aid

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 01:14 PM PST

    I'm still a student, but I was terribly adamant on climbing the B4 ladder and making partner. Then I got a government internship that will almost certainly turn into a full time offer and it made me question everything.

    I realized that this job would give me a ton of time and security to start my own company (think creative media) and even my own botique tax firm, either of which have the opportunity to generate more money than a B4 Partnership further down the road. And if it doesn't pay as well, that's fine too. I'd rather work my ass off doing something I truly enjoy and have a stake in throughout the entire journey, rather than bust my butt for the mere chance of ownership.

    submitted by /u/Papa_Juanz
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking about B4 exit for regional

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 09:46 AM PST

    I spent the first couple years of my career cranking out tax returns at regional firms and have been in a tax consulting role at a B4 the last few years. A partner I used to work with took me out for drinks and explained that his new firm has a lot of partners retiring soon and they have opportunities to move up quickly. I'm probably another 8-10 years out from making partner at my current firm so I'm really considering switching to the regional. I'm currently around $130k and feel I'd have to take a pay cut to make the move but I find the idea of making partner in a few years at a regional thrilling as I view that job as more entrepreneurial and I wouldn't have a ceiling in my earnings. Has anyone ever made the move from B4 to regional? Is anyone reading this higher up at a regional and can provide some insight?

    submitted by /u/wild-ricer
    [link] [comments]

    Like accounting. Exit big 4 as senior or as manager?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 04:26 PM PST

    Hi guys,

    Posting from Ireland here. Currently a staff 2 in big 4 audit, top rates performer and kinda cruising through it. I do enjoy audit to a certain degree , but what I like the most is working with excel , making neat formulas to make things more streamlined and efficient- I like repetitive prescriptive tasks where I incrementally learn more and get efficient each time-some people hate routine but I really like it as I really prefer to know something inside out than from a high level.

    With that said , I don't want to shoot myself in the foot . Most managers in my firm seem to leave to get controller type roles , which is my goal eventually . However , if I leave straight away after becoming senior and head into industry , would this be a bad career move ? As I honestly think I would like to head into industry and really work on what j actually enjoy about accounting and get to controller that way.

    Is this a good career move and has anyone else done something similar ? Thanks!

    submitted by /u/tgpop
    [link] [comments]

    Technical difficulties and the cpa exam

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 11:08 AM PST

    I just left reg with 2 hours left because I couldn't access the authoritative literature in the final two testlets of sims. How does Nasba handle the formal complaint after I submit it? I took a stab at completing the sims. Do they grade what I completed and curve it or am I SOL?

    submitted by /u/domacerbo
    [link] [comments]

    If you work in Europe how many hours are you working, who do you work with and what is your median annual salary?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 10:05 AM PST

    Just wondering how people are doing with their career.

    submitted by /u/Aquilaxo
    [link] [comments]

    CMV: Grinding Big4 Audit is not worth it

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 09:18 AM PST

    Considering the entry level salaries, working hours, turnover rates, opportunities after audit, and even cost-benefit of being a manager, going straight to industry after Uni seems better (taking the "grass is greener on the other side of the fence" effect into consideration).

    Personal context:

    • EU
    • currently 5th year in Big 4 environment (Audit)
    • rated 2 throughout my career (peasant I know)
    submitted by /u/Dalmatian_In_Exile
    [link] [comments]

    To accountants of all types and firms. What kind of clothing attire do you all wear on a day to day basis?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 06:59 PM PST

    Looking for advice on reneging an offer

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 11:59 AM PST

    I accepted an offer from a big 4 firm for 48K. I really didn't love my time there this summer, and have been looking for other opportunities. This past week I received an offer from a tech company in SF for a non-accounting role for triple the salary.

    Does anyone have any advice as to the best way to let my B4 firm know? And has anyone done this before? Is the HR department likely to contact my school and complain?

    submitted by /u/Renegingadvice
    [link] [comments]

    IRS question. Please Help!

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 07:41 PM PST

    Long story short, I worked at a restaurant for a few years and was getting paid cash. The owner owes me 6k and doesn't want to pay me. What happens if I call the IRS? How much trouble would i be in vs the business owner? Thank you for your help!!

    submitted by /u/JamiKhalid
    [link] [comments]

    When does your pay generally cap out in industry, if you're not in an executive position?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 07:29 PM PST

    If you're in a high COL (LA, NY, SF) manager equivalent in industry, when do you generally cap out? I'm guessing at the $250k mark sub CFO/Controller/CAO/Treasurer/VP level.

    Please confirm or shit on my guess.

    submitted by /u/Abacus_Beans
    [link] [comments]

    [CAN] CPABC honour roll notification

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 02:23 PM PST

    anyone hear anything from CPABC re: the CFE yet?

    seems like CPABC forgot about me

    submitted by /u/honour_roll_cpa
    [link] [comments]

    Is Accounting for Me?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 04:51 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I am a high school student who has close to no idea of what they want to do for their future college major/career. I've been told accounting is the way to go if you just want to have a stable job and decent pay, but after reading this sub for a while, it seems like a lot of accountants are overworked and depressed.

    I've always dreamed of having a family and it seems like most people here have crazy hours and have the extra burden of having to take graduate courses to get a CPA, to later on take an accounting position that is on par with a teacher's salary.

    Can any of you shed light on this? Is this career field worth it? Do you wish you had gone into another career or major in college? Is it so much to wish for a career field that has a regular 40 hour or less week, in a job that pays decently? It's really between accounting and management information systems for me, and I know I have the next two years to decide, but I would just like your honest opinions now. Any comparisons between accounting and other business majors are welcomed, and if it helps, I hopefully would like to live in Central or North Texas after university.

    Thank you everyone!

    submitted by /u/gingerfluff
    [link] [comments]

    Leaving B4 in December?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 10:42 PM PST

    So I'm currently a second year associate working at a B4 in a large market, and just don't think the position aligns with what I want. Honestly I've been hating my life because of work for a while now.

    A position at a national firm in a smaller market I'd prefer to live (closer to family and friends, and I'm not huge on the big city) where a friend works opened up and I jumped on it, as the position aligned with my personal goals much better than my current firm, and pays evenly to where I'm at now.

    I have an offer with this new firm, but I've asked them to push my start date to January, as I'm currently on a busy season client for the next couple of weeks, and don't want to leave my team out to dry. I wanted to see your thoughts on putting in two weeks' notice in the beginning of December. Is this too late, and am I burning bridges for the future? I know it's late in the season, but it's really the only chance I have before busy season starts, and there's no way I survive another 3 months at this current spot.

    Thanks y'all!

    submitted by /u/throwmy_careeraway
    [link] [comments]

    Is working for a small/tiny firm bad if you don't want to specialize in tax?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 10:43 AM PST

    Is working for a firm of say 30 or less a bad idea if you don't want to be doing tax? I don't mind the actual tax work, I just don't want to be stuck in tax accountant roles down the line. I'm trying to get into a larger firm on the audit side but I don't know if it's gonna happen so I've been browsing smaller firms. But I assume the smaller local firms are mainly tax based, right? So would working for one be a bad idea if you don't want to be doing tax in the long run?

    submitted by /u/Accounting556
    [link] [comments]

    GT interview process recruiting help

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 10:34 PM PST

    Applied through handshake for a winter auditing internship as well as audit associate position for fall 2019 as I have 2 years compliance auditing experience I thought maybe I could land associate and not have to go through the internship.

    I got selected for on campus interviews with Grant Thornton. Went through the process, had an on campus interview and a Skype interview with one of the partners in New York. About 2 weeks after my virtual interview I got a call from HR saying I got the position and that they had me written down for the associate position so HR congratulated me and the whole 9, said they'd get back to me with details in a day or two.

    Long story short HR called me back and completely denied the fact that they offered me the associate position and now I'm interning starting this winter (I'll take what I can get). I'm pretty confused. Not sure whether is was a mistake on their part or since I offered to do both the internship and the associate position they took the associate position off the table for now.

    Have any of you here ever dealt with something like this? Any input helps. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/gangstuh_greg
    [link] [comments]

    Tips on becoming a better writer?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 04:15 PM PST

    I'm a weak writer but I want to be better. Does anyone have tips or book recommendations on how to improve?

    submitted by /u/MangoMondays
    [link] [comments]

    is it a good idea to major in accounting in canada or is the market saturated?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 04:00 PM PST

    what if i graduate with mediocre grades and wasn't able to find a summer job as a bookkeeper?

    submitted by /u/EarlyWynter
    [link] [comments]

    EY rotation in Amsterdam

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 09:37 AM PST

    Hello,

    I'm considering an 18 months rotation in the Netherlands with EY and was wondering if anyone here has had experience in such a rotation. If yes, could you tell me about your experience on the below?

    1- Client/team atmosphere

    2- Language barriers -

    3- Lifestyle - comp vs rent prices etc

    The more details, the better. Thank you!!

    submitted by /u/Petitsoleil9
    [link] [comments]

    Double Major in MIS worth it?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2018 05:19 PM PST

    Am I better of sticking to straight accounting or getting a double major in MIS. I know it opens the door for IT auditing but what are the other benefits and are they worth getting another whole entire degree?

    submitted by /u/amadofuentes
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment