• Breaking News

    Tuesday, November 27, 2018

    Accounting [Serious] Team leaders, please remember that ultimately, employee morale is potentially the most important factor, and one of the easiest to work on

    Accounting [Serious] Team leaders, please remember that ultimately, employee morale is potentially the most important factor, and one of the easiest to work on


    [Serious] Team leaders, please remember that ultimately, employee morale is potentially the most important factor, and one of the easiest to work on

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 06:20 AM PST

    This is a bit of a half rant / half advice post. I became a team leader within the past year and it's been an eye opening experience. Most importantly, it shows how much of a difference my involvement in employee morale can make.

    Very simply, employee morale is just how happy your employees are when working under you. A strict and harsh team environment may create some quick short-term success, but anything more than a week or two and you will start to see a lot of diminishing returns.

    Simply said, people want to do a good job and know that they're doing a good job. Take the extra 10 seconds to send a thank you email. Take 2 minutes to send a personalized email showing your appreciation. When you send things back loaded with comments, privately chat with your employee for a few seconds, reassuring them that lots of comments doesn't mean they did a bad job.

    These things seriously make a massive difference. Not only do people work significantly harder for someone they like, they work longer for you too. Turnover rates decrease, efficiency increases.

    Even if you see someone slipping, someone who used to be a good performer begin to underperform. That's the biggest sign that this person is burnt out. And while it's impossible for you to fully control their mentality, improving take them out of the rut.

    Right now, I see a lot of team leaders passively address negative performers. They send comments back with an email saying "See attached." and that's all. They receive a finished product and don't say a word. They don't interact personally with the employee, they don't treat them like anything more than a pain in the ass. And every single discussion is completely serious and work-focused.

    That makes a underperformer do even worse. Not only did they already have low motivation, they now have even less, and it will just build up. That's when they start looking for exit opportunities. And perhaps, in your mind you're like "good riddance, he was a useless employee so I'm glad he's gone." But the tiniest bit of effort could have saved you 6 months of working with an underperformer, and perhaps he could have been a very powerful employee.

    Ultimately, work is work and no one really likes doing it. But if you make people feel like they're suffering alone, then they'll hate everything. In contrast, if you make people feel like they're part of a team and suffering together, it will make them better.

    Your mileage may vary... some people might become significantly better and end up being top performers. Others might get just a little better. The worst of the worst don't change at all. But the chances of your employee being a truly "worst of the worst" is extremely slim. A little bit of self-control, transparency, and morale support can make your team a lot more effective in the long run. It doesn't hurt at all to just do it.

    TLDR stop being assholes.

    submitted by /u/jeffodeffo
    [link] [comments]

    My professor asked us to make a song about accounting for 5% of our overall grade. I did not disappoint... (xpost /r/accountinghumor)

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 11:17 AM PST

    Have you ever sent out an email so good you go into your sent folder and read it again?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 07:20 PM PST

    Life Expectancy of CPAs in Texas

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 02:43 PM PST

    Life Expectancy of CPAs in Texas

    The Texas board report includes licensees whose deaths occurred between September 1, 2017 and August 31, 2018 and gives their DOB and DOD. I put them into excel and ran the statistics on them. The results were not encouraging. Just for reference, the average expectancy in the US is 78.7.

    https://i.redd.it/3fiyom359y021.png

    submitted by /u/Copy_Paste_Artist
    [link] [comments]

    31 [m4f] #orlando EY New manager training

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 08:43 PM PST

    Any thots looking to be disrespected by this newly empowered manager? Btw - I work in PI (faux management consulting).

    Physically - endowed white male with inferiority complex. Great at delegating, bad at 360 feedback.

    Edit: people are upvoting, but I'm super cereal.

    Edit 2: please PM with service line and industry (cbs gtfo)

    submitted by /u/avocadoznumber
    [link] [comments]

    What’s your favorite accounting joke/pun to say during your work day?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 05:54 PM PST

    Personally, when my boss tells me I messed up I love to say, "well I certainly didn't ACCOUNT for this" in a semi sarcastic tone. Usually I'll get a chuckle out of him or at least get him to blow air out of his nose, tends to lighten the mood of my failures. What are your favorite jokes/puns to say? Looking to broaden my accounting joke horizon and hear some hopefully better or more thought out jokes.

    submitted by /u/Percy_3
    [link] [comments]

    Big 4 Staff 1 Concerns - Need to hear your thoughts

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 08:13 PM PST

    Hello -

    I have read multiple posts on here and finally decided to write my own instead of trying to identify in other people's stories. I started in Big 4 six months ago, in a Top 10 metro area. I knew as I was accepting the offer, that audit is not an area I am truly interested in, but I could see a lot of benefits to starting in Big 4. I've never had anything recognizable in my resume (good internship experience, magna cum laude, and academic awards/scholarships - but no brand name), so I am happy to put a well-known firm name on my resume, and I am also not a US citizen, so not any firm is willing to consider hiring me. Basically Big 4 was my only option, if I wanted public accounting.

    I had a rougher start than expected. Things were going fine until a few weeks into the job, I started testing an account that took too long... I spent a total of 3 weeks on that procedure, with 2 of the first days updating a support tracker that someone before me had started... a waste of time that even my senior couldn't figure out yet insisted I do it. This testing procedure taught me to communicate more clearly where I am at and what issues I am facing, so I started drafting notes to myself in order to better communicate with my senior. I started waking up early not to study for the CPA exam, but to make sure I understand what I want to ask questions about and to seem prepared when my senior asked for updates. I was stressed out, to the point that one morning I went to the office before everyone only to start crying.

    I thought I would have a terrible review, but basically my review was that I need to improve on my time of delivery and take ownership of my work. One of the problems with the second area of improvement is that my senior is a micromanager, so it's quite difficult to take ownership in that situation.

    Then I had a short but very stressful busy season and I thought I was doing much better because some stress helps me stay organized. I had some rough moments during that busy season, including when my senior took over one of my tasks in order to expedite the process but two days later told me to finish it myself. My senior is the busiest member of the team, so I also learned to ask other seniors when I had questions. After busy season, my senior acknowledged that I had improved, but that I remain inefficient; he pointed out I have a good attitude and would stay as long as I need to get the work done.

    My second team is so much better - organized, clear expectations, I work with several seniors and no one is overworked. The team originally had me assigned for a month for a special project. We worked longer hours, but I was finishing my tasks on time and feeling pretty good. Then this team requested my time for a few more months, and my performance has been in decline since then. I am clearly over budget on one of my tasks, and when I started it, I thought I would finish under budget. The main reasons I am behind is that I got mixed opinions on what needs to be done, so that slowed me down, and I have had a lot of back and forth with the client. And most importantly, I lost my motivation. With studying for the CPA, I don't feel like spending time outside of the office to finish work. Some of these areas and balances are so insignificant it is difficult to worry about. And I found out that after I finish with this team, I will be back with the first team - so more stress, unnecessarily long hours, unclear instructions, poor communication. I may never be back to work with this second team, but I feel as if I had already messed things up... (we're talking being like 10 hours over, but failing to communicate it properly until I was asked).

    While I am not passionate about audit, I don't want to be seen as mediocre. Sometimes I feel like it is not something to worry about, but other times (like tonight), I worry what my performance is saying about my work ethic, my communication skills, what these people will say about me when I leave, whether I would have a hard time transitioning outside of Big 4 due to my performance currently. I have had situations when I thought I would lose my job and/or not get promoted. One of my managers on a previous accounting internship I did told me she can tell I am not happy and we should talk. It is just very surprising that I am not doing well, performance, motivation, energy wise etc. I am known as a very capable and driven person. When I was on the first engagement, it made sense to not like it since it is a very poorly rated engagement. But now I've been with this wonderful team and I am still struggling. It just took longer for those issues to surface. So what is this telling me? What should I do? Thank you!

    submitted by /u/InformalDetail
    [link] [comments]

    First year in audit

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 05:13 AM PST

    $500 Down the drain

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 03:19 AM PST

    Is FP&A worth it?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 07:02 PM PST

    How to get into TAS, FP&A, or other roles gets asked a lot on this sub, but rarely do I see people's thought process on why they want to do so and why it is a good decision for them.

    I know I like FP&A work better than corporate accounting work, from the perspective of the internship I had before a couple years in public. Looking at my career as a business though, is that the business I want to be in? Just a quick search on indeed or similar you can see there is well under 1/10 the amount of job postings for FP&A as there are for general accountants, and thus a scarcity of demand. Narrow that to a smaller market and even less. Narrow that into an industry specialization and even worse. Also, there are a large number of people that are looking to get that role and thus stiff competition. Pair that with people that will label you as an accountant for going the CPA route first instead of an MBA, as well as people that may come from IB or consulting to take the better opportunities, makes competition even more fierce.

    The question here is, is the juice really worth the squeeze?

    submitted by /u/Texas_Dog
    [link] [comments]

    Panic Attacks At Work

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 05:05 PM PST

    Okay so a little bit of background... I'm a Staff at a public accounting firm. I've been here for about a year and a half, and I suffer from intense and emotionally destabilizing panic attacks. They fluctuate throughout the year, but the anxiety is pretty consistent.

    I had a terrible episode while at work today. Figuring out my schedule and realizing just how much is on my plate for the upcoming year kinda through me for a loop, and I had to excuse myself because I felt like I was gonna cry.

    Am I cut out for this? The thought of quitting itself gives me anxiety. Where would I go? What would I do with my life? The exit opportunities for tax are so limited, especially with such limited experience.

    Would really appreciate any input...

    submitted by /u/TheOldChap
    [link] [comments]

    My salary is too low to live long term - how can I get more money?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 06:36 PM PST

    I'm a Senior Analyst at a big, publicly traded company (industry). I got this job a little over a year ago after getting my CPA (and working about 3 years as an analyst).

    I'm 30 years old, and I recently had a massive investment loss due to a recession, and lost my home; so I need to rebuild my retirement/down payment fund. Also, I live in a very high cost of living area (which is the only place where there are employers that are interested in hiring me). I've essentially been financially reset to having the same level of assets as somebody much less experience (who would be about 24 years old...).

    In my market, people typically make it to manager after 2-3 years as a Senior Analyst. Since I need more money, I've decided to start applying for manager roles - and I am at various stages in the recruitment process for some (but it's competitive and takes time). Also, there are other Senior Analyst roles at other companies paying 15k more than I make now, but I'm not bothering with those just yet (want to see how Manager turns out: and I can't be taking too much time off work to go to interviews).

    I tried talking to the director of my area (we're pretty close) to get a feel for what is required to get more money at my current job. It would involve doing more complex work assignments that are at a manager level. However, those complex work assignments typically go to my manager. Even if I did request and started getting the more complex assignments, there's no guarantee that I'd get a raise anytime soon (it would be a huge bureaucratic process involving people beyond my director, if he's even willing to initiate it). Furthermore, my company is pretty stingy; and from talking to HR, it seems like the request could very well be denied. I'm kind of hesitant about doing something that won't necessarily pay off short term.

    Is there any way I can get more money short term? Any other suggestions on how I can improve my financial situation with respect to work? My job doesn't permit me to do side hustles.

    submitted by /u/zindagi786
    [link] [comments]

    First year feeling extremely alone

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 08:42 PM PST

    I just started working in audit but I feel so out of place in my team. It's been a struggle the past two months since starting and I'm becoming depressed over it. I truly want to build a relationship with my team members but I don't know how. Please give me some tips.

    submitted by /u/iFeelLonelyx
    [link] [comments]

    What to expect without a CPA in the midwest? Where do I go from here?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 08:04 PM PST

    A handful of you helped me out last year when I asked if I should get my bachelor's degree after finishing my associate's. Well now it's a year later, and I have 4 accounting classes to take in the spring, and 3 generals for the summer, and then I have 124 credits and a bachelor's degree. I currently make $38,000/yr doing A/P, payroll, bank recs, monthly financials, quarterly/yearly payroll reports, etc. for 25ish clients. My department is my supervisor, myself, and a new person I have been responsible for training. I personally think I'm underpaid, but I don't have anything or anyone to compare it to. It's my first job in accounting, but I've been there a year and half and feel like I have a grasp on things. I have a few questions:

    -What kind of jobs am I looking at without a CPA in the midwest? Right now I am in an organizational tax class and it's the only class that hasn't been a no-brainer for me. The IRS is so overwhelming. That's putting me off of the CPA, or it will become an after-kids project for career advancement later. I don't really have a desire for prestige and I'm more focused on making a little more money to buy a house, travel, and start a family.

    -What's a starting salary I should expect when leaving my current company? This is a broad question, but I am just hoping for a range. The numbers I find online are super broad.

    -What is your experience with the expertise of yourself as a leader, or your supervisors? This is sort of a loaded question, but sometimes I just get really frustrated at the lack of knowledge of my supervisor and my company in general. I want to surround myself with expertise and knowledge so I can absorb that. I feel like a lot of things in my position slip through the cracks and no one up to now has noticed it but me. I also feel too "new" to do anything about it, as the changes I think should be made would be super time consuming and I'm always scared that I'm misunderstanding things or making a big deal out of nothing. Several times we find out the way we are doing different things (how my supervisor taught me, how she was taught, how the person before her was taught, etc) is all wrong or my supervisor pulls a "not my circus, not my monkey" type of thing with a few clients that really aren't doing things right (I'm a rule follower, so this freaks me out). It might just be me nitpicking and looking for a reason to leave. I love my coworkers and my job, but it just feels too informal and entry-level to me. I feel like someday my department is just going to go up in flames because of our inexpertise. To be clear, I don't think anything super illegal is going on or anything, but I do feel like we aren't nearly as knowledge as we should be, especially with payroll laws. My supervisor running the show doesn't have a bachelor's and has been in accounting for maybe 7 years, this being the only place she has ever worked in this field. I feel like the wide range of tasks we do for a wide range of clients requires more experience than what we all have. Are there places I should avoid applying? I'm in a small business right now and feel like this isn't my jam. What should I aim for without a CPA? I'm craving a job that has a tiny bit less independence, more collaboration and taking turns to minimize mistakes going unnoticed, more expertise, and with less encompassing job tasks. I want to be an expert in something, not adequate in a lot of things.

    submitted by /u/weatheredsweater
    [link] [comments]

    mid C-average student having trouble, is my future in accounting screwed?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 07:56 PM PST

    i have terrible grades, all online classes so i am teaching myself everything. grades are only getting worse as classes progress and get harder. keep failing tests (only 30% of grade) but passing homework. i don't understand the material past "basic accounting" and the "teachers" won't help. currently in intermediate 1 and tax 1, and have only accounting classes scheduled for the next year.5 and im done.

    10 years since earning 3 useless associates degrees, is my hope of finally having a career doomed?

    submitted by /u/imma_trashcan
    [link] [comments]

    Could anyone review my resume'?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 05:05 PM PST

    I've been having issues finding a new job and I'm not making a lot of money in New york. I believe my biggest problem is working in a family office doing bookkeeping services and I fear that I've been pidgeonholed.

    I'd appreciate it if people here could critique my resume' and give me some advice and guidance?

    Here is the link to the PDF: https://docdro.id/caUhQsx

    submitted by /u/NYGMike
    [link] [comments]

    KPMG Deal Advisory vs. DeloitteM&A Transaction Services

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 01:10 PM PST

    Hi there- I'm a junior at UT Austin's master in accounting program with the goal of ultimately working in private equity. I'm considering lateraling into investment banking in between, but am still quite unsure of the feasibility of doing so.

    Any advice on which of these two jobs would set me up for a better chance in this career path? I plan on starting out in Chicago. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Smooth_Shift
    [link] [comments]

    College student looking to change into Accounting

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 12:32 PM PST

    Hey all, currently I am attending college in a 4-year degree for Network Administration. I got into this field because computers have always been a huge hobby of mine, but as I get more and more involved with net admin I'm realizing it's getting farther and farther away from the actual computers themselves. I thought that this was my only passion, but I find myself struggling to hit the library for study sessions. I guess the easiest way to describe it would be that I would rather own a PC repair or retail business than work in a corporate IT environment.

    As part of my program I was required to take a financial accounting course this semester, and surprisingly it's quickly turned into my favorite class and my highest grade. There's other factors like thinking about moving back home because I don't like my campus, but to get to the point I've basically been thinking about just taking my two-year associates in Computer Information Systems, and transferring to a different school and starting over again in Accounting.

    I'm mostly just trying to clear my head and maybe see if someone else had a similar school path. How late is too late to switch majors? I know it's stupid to switch majors just based on one class, which is why I've decided to stay in Net Admin til the end of the spring semester and take Managerial Accounting as well. I figure that if I like managerial accounting as much as I do financial I should just make the leap.

    Are there any resources I can research to get a better idea of what a full accounting program is like and what the day to day of an accountant might be?

    submitted by /u/_J3W3LS_
    [link] [comments]

    Thotaudit incentive? Is this legit?

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 04:13 PM PST

    My cats got ahold of my Statement of Cash Flow but this is how I’m going to rock my final. I go over it everyday while brushing my teeth.

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 10:02 PM PST

    ACC 502 Entire Courses of Grand Canyon University | Just Question Answer

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 09:56 PM PST

    Question regarding the 24-semester units of accounting subject for California CPA exam educational requirements

    Posted: 27 Nov 2018 06:02 PM PST

    Question regarding the 24-semester units of accounting subject for California CPA exam educational requirements

    Hi Everyone,

    https://i.redd.it/3ezzw29cbz021.png

    Graduating in the spring and was planning my CPA requirements; I looked at the CBA tip sheet and was wondering if courses like bookkeeping and excel for accounting fall under accounting subjects or business-related-subjects. Here are the courses I'm unsure about (they are in the accounting department):

    ACCTG 21 - Small Business Bookkeeping

    ACCTG 45 - Individual Financial Planning

    ACCTG 31A - Excel for Accounting

    Would these courses technically fall under accounting subjects?

    submitted by /u/xhumxsx
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment