• Breaking News

    Wednesday, January 31, 2018

    Accounting Life in public accounting

    Accounting Life in public accounting


    Life in public accounting

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 07:53 PM PST

    So this just happened...

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 08:37 AM PST

    Out on an audit and one of the client's balances were not reconciling. I was explaining this to the extremely attractive controller. As I'm quickly inputting some formulas into excel she says, woops you spelled that one wrong. And I'm like huh? Then she points and my sum function was =cum(B1:B200).

    Nervous laughs... woops indeed. Ok what was I doing again? fuck

    submitted by /u/letsboop
    [link] [comments]

    I was lying in bed after putting in two hours of work after leaving the office and the futility of this shit is starting to hit me

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 12:55 PM PST

    I picked this profession because it made the most sense considering my situation then .It still continues to make the most sense now . However today at the client site i met a man who looked about 50.The subject of family came up and he miserably told me that he didn't have one .

    I'm terrified of never meeting someone,never finding out what I actually want to do with myself and living an unremarkable life drowning in a sea of spreadsheets.

    I'm terrified of failure but equally terrified of success.

    That is all.

    Edit: You guys are awesome.I feel a lot better.

    submitted by /u/antiparadox
    [link] [comments]

    When the cute auditors come around....the male ones anyway ��

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 07:13 PM PST

    How do I become the Partner's Bottom B*tch?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 12:57 PM PST

    I want that high rating, how do I get there?

    Per Wikipedia - American term for a prostitute who sits atop the hierarchy of prostitutes working for a particular pimp. A bottom girl is usually the prostitute who has been with the pimp the longest and consistently makes the most money.[2] Being the bottom girl gives the prostitute status and power over the other women working for her pimp;[2] however, the bottom girl also bears many responsibilities. In U.S. v. Pipkins,[3] the Eleventh Circuit described the bottom girl's duties as "work[ing] the track in [her pimp's] stead, running interference for and collecting money from the pimp's other prostitutes, [and] look[ing] after the pimp's affairs if the pimp was out of town, incarcerated, or otherwise unavailable".[4] Similarly, the Training Manual of the Hawaiian Prostitution Intervention Program explains that the bottom girl's obligations may include handling finances, and training and recruiting other prostitutes.[2]

    How can I do the above, but more related to accounting?

    submitted by /u/SeriousIntern
    [link] [comments]

    Maple Leaf Gardens Ledger Entries - 1938

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 09:15 AM PST

    Goals for tax season #8

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 04:40 PM PST

    1) stop by the new staff cubicles a few times a week to check in, say hi, pass for human

    2) set realistic deadlines and fee estimates with clients

    3) get a better office (window AND door)

    4) return phone calls 28 Hours Later instead of 28 Days Later

    5) see my kids every single day

    What pipe dreams, I mean healthy work life boundaries , are y'all chasing this year?

    submitted by /u/MommaPi
    [link] [comments]

    [CAN] PwC Pathways -Audit & RAS

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 07:32 PM PST

    Going to be starting with PwC in their audit & RAS rotation program this October. Can anybody in RAS shed some light on what exactly I will be doing day to day?

    I'm thinking it's mostly IT controls...? Is the busy season same as audit?

    submitted by /u/Rfufu
    [link] [comments]

    Current Internship Experience

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 08:35 PM PST

    I've been a winter intern at a big 4 for the past few weeks. I knew coming in that it would be a stressful time, everyone would be busy, etc, but I feel like I am expecting too much too soon. No one really talks to me even during lunch. There are a handful that are nice and help me out, but I'm not sure if I am doing a good job. I do as I'm told, don't complain, but I'm still pretty reserved because I'm a natural introvert. I made a few mistakes, but I overcame them and kept a light mood. I take initiative when I need more work.

    My general concern is what the seniors and managers expect in an intern and how to achieve a full time offer.

    submitted by /u/Sknight15
    [link] [comments]

    Gotta love VITA season (nite the dates)

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 01:21 PM PST

    Whats up fellow accountants. Should i get my CPA licnese even though i will be attending grad school in 2 years majoring in risk management?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 07:32 PM PST

    Im getting my degree this May and plan to work as an accountant for just 1-2 years so i can have it as experience on my resume in the future. Is it worth getting my CPA even though i wont BE a CPA?

    submitted by /u/Gole_The_Shredder
    [link] [comments]

    What happens to big 4 associates who dont get promoted

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 12:57 PM PST

    I work in a group thats typically 3 seniors 6 associates. Of the 3 seniors 1 is up for manager and of the associates 4 are up for senior this year (3rd years), I doubt theres enough capacity to promote 4 associates cause then wed be 6 seniors 2 associates makes no sense

    What happens to the associates that dont get promoted, do they stay as associates and try again next year or does the firm let them go? Side note all associates are good candidates, have good snapshots and utilization so it's not like anyone is bad.

    submitted by /u/bigby1234
    [link] [comments]

    What's the most unconventional career switch you made out of big 4 audit?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 04:41 PM PST

    And how is your lifestyle now?

    submitted by /u/jellyaceacoustic
    [link] [comments]

    Job Offer at a University? [Advice]

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 06:05 PM PST

    Forgive me if this has been asked, but a search for "university" doesn't filter out many posts on this sub. I got a job offer to be a business analyst for a department at a university. I'd make about $1K less than my current job but have more vacation time and better retirement contributions, and shave about 20-30 minutes off my currently hour-long commute. I'd be approving AP vouchers, managing a few grant awards, and creating the budget for several different departments, and I really like the potential boss & coworkers I met. My dilemma is it's very low pay for the area, and my impression is there's little upward mobility in academia. There's a great tuition benefit after being there a year but I will probably end up moving in 1-2 years. The glassdoor reviews have me all freaked out and my main question is: is it worth the low pay & benefits to work at a well-known university and have the chance at learning something new (I learn close to zero in my current job)? Or are universities a dead-end of learning that I shouldn't even bother?

    For some background: I had a 3.7 GPA in Finance in college, graduated 3 years ago and am going back to get my accounting degree probably starting this summer. I currently work at a large insurance firm that is extremely boring and I spend 85% of my time doing absolutely nothing. The pay is good, but it's an hour commute each way and 8.5 hour day with average vacation time. I've been looking for months and no positions have come available for me to switch from budgeting department to controllers.

    submitted by /u/technoglitter
    [link] [comments]

    Getting an internship without a GPA....

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 08:10 PM PST

    I'm a transfer student and I technically don't have a GPA is this something that could hurt my chances of getting a summer internship?

    submitted by /u/Malika23
    [link] [comments]

    What's accounting really like?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 07:50 PM PST

    Hey all, new to the forum

    I'm currently in my third year of my bachelors in accountancy and I'm taking intermediate two and federal income taxation

    I couldn't help but notice how incredibly specific and in depth the material goes and how much needs to be memorized

    For those of you out in the real world with jobs and careers in accounting how is it compared to school?

    submitted by /u/ShenFrog
    [link] [comments]

    Low gpa in college

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 02:50 PM PST

    Anyone have a low accounting gpa and still passing the cpa

    submitted by /u/steveee313
    [link] [comments]

    Taking my LAST CPA EXAM (AUD) EVER*** this Saturday. Beyond Nervous.

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 07:41 PM PST

    I've spent so much time on this stupid exam. I'm done. I just want it to be over. I've passed BEC, FAR, and REG. I've become a social hermit and developed a drinking problem.

    AUD is this Saturday bright and early at 7:30 AM. I got a 83 on the first becker exam but a 72 on the second. I feel like I'm going to forget everything last minute, or the exam will test all the minute details that I didn't review. AUD is my worst subject too, there's no fucking math to make things make sense. I haven't spent nearly as much time on this section as others.

    If I fail this exam I will literally lose all willpower to exist

    submitted by /u/koodas
    [link] [comments]

    I just took BEC. AMA while I’m still sober.

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 12:26 PM PST

    I just took BEC. If I pass, I'm done and itll be 4/4.

    If I fail, I'll have to retake it and FAR within 6 months.

    Send me good vibes until 2/23 please.

    submitted by /u/canipass_cpa
    [link] [comments]

    Important

    Posted: 30 Jan 2018 10:29 PM PST

    When the intern doesn't listen when I tell them to use the lightning bolt tickmark

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 06:24 PM PST

    How much does everyone really work when it after dinner?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 03:57 PM PST

    See Above

    EDIT: Clarification, I mean after team dinners, but you're still on client site

    submitted by /u/SeriousIntern
    [link] [comments]

    Starting a YouTube channel based on my successful accounting business

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 09:40 PM PST

    Who's interested in learning how to start an accounting business or just get a couple clients on the side? Would you be interested in learning everything, from the tools needed to how to actually get your first client? What questions would you have?

    submitted by /u/MarinaKov
    [link] [comments]

    Audit procedure for cash question.

    Posted: 31 Jan 2018 09:15 PM PST

    So I'm auditing the cash section right now. Agreeing the bank recs to the GL. There are two bank accounts. Bank account A is the general account and account B is the disbursal account. So if the company knows that there will be some expenditures, account B will get credited from account A. So debit account A and credit account B basically. The ending balance on account A's bank rec agrees with the GL. Account B (the disbursal account) bank rec does not tie with the GL. It does not tie because their were three debits to cover on 1/2/18 and the bank rec includes the three advance payments from account A initiated on 12/29. So I guess my question is how do I document this? I can't pinpoint the debit from account A to cover account B.

    submitted by /u/ecommercenewb
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment