• Breaking News

    Thursday, February 10, 2022

    Startups Solo founder with no prior experience - what goes on your "team" slide?

    Startups Solo founder with no prior experience - what goes on your "team" slide?


    Solo founder with no prior experience - what goes on your "team" slide?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2022 05:20 PM PST

    I have very limited technical skills not too bad with low-code/no-code tools, but that's about it!

    Due to a stroke of luck, I don't need to learn how to code for my MVP - so I'm able to buy myself some time, yay.

    I'm going to look for a technical CTO, but in the interim, what do I do?!

    Any examples of pitch decks with solo founder with no tech experience slides would be much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/flagprojector
    [link] [comments]

    When and how is sales tax considered in early stage startup?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 05:54 AM PST

    Hi all, we are about to launch a B2C startup. We offer digital services, among other things. My business partner is really deadset on handling sales tax off the bat, and we are using stripe, but this integration is incredibly confusing.

    Should we even worry about this right now?

    Do SaaS type online applications need to collect sales tax?

    submitted by /u/TaGeuelePutain
    [link] [comments]

    Best free tools on MS Teams?.. esp collaboration / communication / project management

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 05:14 AM PST

    On the off chance that someone found themselves in the same situation:

    Everyone has Teams. We wouldn't necessarily want to spend more on other stuff, and it's just difficult to get approval for any new system. I did some research, and there seem to be no articles about really free tools that are Teams-based. It's always something that's external and freemium.

    They seem to have a large app ecosystem, but it's completely unclear which ones are good and which ones are free. By free, I mean - "free for all intents and purposes for a small company", I would consider HubSpot CRM to be free in that sense.

    PM:

    Trello was tried before and wasn't liked or used by people. We need something with an interactive Gantt chart view, but I can't find anything. Tasks is available, but no timeline view...

    Internal communication:

    Communities and Forms seem to be the way, though for some reason Communities isn't able to connect (checking with MS support now). Are there other good ways to present internal communications? (aside from using simply channels, I'm looking more for an intranet experience)

    Collaboration:

    The free MS Whiteboard seems to be OK, but are there other good tools to think of?

    Thanks in advance for any tips.

    submitted by /u/xMisterVx
    [link] [comments]

    Question about Dilution of post-money SAFE holders during first priced round

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 03:01 AM PST

    Suppose I signed a post-money YC SAFE + pro rata rights with an investor for $1 million at a $10 million cap. Then I do a financing round for $5 million at a $50 million cap. I would assume that the investor with the SAFE would be diluted to 9% since the new investor would be taking 10%. If I owned all other shares, I would have 81% (minus my pool), and the new investor would have 10%. Then the investor who had the SAFE would be able to invest an additional $550k to make his 10% whole.

    But when I look at the Carta calculator, I find the opposite; with a post-money note, percentage conversion, and the terms above, the new investor is diluted, and the SAFE holder is not. What is going on here? What am I missing?

    submitted by /u/Chess_Slave
    [link] [comments]

    Five things I learned last year marketing startups

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 06:19 AM PST

    Last year, I learned a lot by consulting startups on their marketing strategy and co-founding my own business.

    Here are five useful things I learned for marketing startups:

    1. Have a healthy mix of fundamental and experimental tactics

    For most businesses, PPC and SEO are core fundamental tactics that can't be ignored. At the same time, it's important to experiment with creative ways to grow, like referrals, communities, and partnerships.

    2. Balance scrappiness with efficiency

    While the nature of startups is to do everything yourself, non-mission-critical tasks like web design, running ads, and copywriting are often better outsourced to experts.

    3. Speak to your target market as often as possible

    Find where these people are and engage them often. This might be on Reddit, Facebook, a physical location, your mailing list, or someplace else. It's tough to make your message resonate if you don't know whom you're talking to.

    4. Don't cheap out on talent

    Hiring someone underqualified will lead to disappointing results. Aggressively negotiating low rates will result in people quickly leaving for better offers. Amazing talent will teach you many things, and they can operate successfully with little guidance.

    5. Scale with a narrow focus

    Startups raise money based on massive potential. It takes time to get there, and the best way is to start within a small market segment (i.e., lawyers vs. professional services) and branch out.

    I hope this helps! What are some useful things you learned last year, marketing or otherwise?

    submitted by /u/nifty-tl
    [link] [comments]

    Unvested options in the case of an acquisition?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 05:40 AM PST

    What's the most common thing you see?

    I'd like to push for a clause in my contract that all options vest upon an acquisition but I'm not sure if that's a common ask.

    Company just raised a seed round. Grant is 2% with typical vesting schedule but wouldn't be surprised if they were acquired prior to the 4th year

    submitted by /u/DontBeARentCucc
    [link] [comments]

    Affiliates and referrals structure for my new software business

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 05:10 AM PST

    I have created software that helps people with TikTok (Can't disclose too much until launch). A huge part of our growth is going to come from affiliates and referrals. The issue is our prices at launch will be $9.99 and $14.99.

    Even if I gave 50% of the original purchase away it would not be that much money? Any advice on how to structure this or what you have seen work in the past?

    submitted by /u/Healthyhappylyfe
    [link] [comments]

    Launching a book, should I have launch event before or after ?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 04:32 AM PST

    I'm launching a book in a couple of months and I want to know if the best option would be to have the launch event before the book release or after?

    I was thinking that if I have the launch event before releasing the book, not many people might know about it?

    Or if I release it for a little while and then have a launch event, it might not be as exciting?

    What do you guys think? I have the book ready to be printed

    submitted by /u/justlikefriedrice
    [link] [comments]

    What to do in such a situation? I'm in a stalemate (It seems to me)

    Posted: 09 Feb 2022 05:59 PM PST

    Hello everyone, I need some good advice on what to do. It seems to me that I am falling into or have already fallen into a stalemate and without advice anywhere.

    We have a project, a plan, and our team developed the MVP. We very diligently sorted out (all of course at our expense) a lot of preliminary attempts and our drone has evolved from standard dimensions to the current 9 square meters with the possibility of being on board reconnaissance drones and strong autonomy + the ability to quickly change equipment to suit the needs of customers (for example, agro schemes and so on).

    we came to the conclusion that this development in the MVP is no longer affordable for us, since there are quite expensive (By our standards) parts, at least their development + team (Only the founding one works almost 24/7 at its own expense) , the rest of the participants spend exactly as much energy as we can cover from our own pocket (Well, it's like they feed their families).

    The question is, what is the right way to do this? Is it really possible to talk about investing at this stage? Constant refusals greatly shake faith in the project, it came to a conflict of interest and betrayal (well, I call it that for personal reasons) of one of the co-founders (fortunately, it didn't turn out critically, he left peacefully and without a share in the company). And the amount needed, well, in general, it is not large. Up to $150,000 for a maximum of half a year of development (You can try to squeeze in a smaller amount if you wish). But I don't even know where to go anymore.

    There is no need to write about the FFF rule, it does not work in Ukraine and the CIS countries, local investors do not work either, for $ 10,000 they generally want almost 80% with development rights. Everything is greatly aggravated by the fact that we are citizens of Ukraine, although we are incorporated in the United States.

    Hi-tech industry, robotics drones. I would be grateful for advice.

    P.S. I hope the topic is not taken down.

    submitted by /u/Mr-Harr1son
    [link] [comments]

    Contact info list worth buying?

    Posted: 09 Feb 2022 10:53 AM PST

    I have a B2B SaaS in the real estate niche and am looking for ways to get customers. So far I have been using LinkedIn and connecting with people, so far no luck with sales. I have heard of contact info lists and am considering buying one to test out. They all seem to be in the $1-3 per contact range with many with minimum limits of 500. Are these lists worth it or should I keep trying LinkedIn? I should note I really badly suck at sales and cold email/calling/LinkedIn connect messages.

    submitted by /u/jk_can_132
    [link] [comments]

    LoveEsq's /r/Startups Legal Office Hours 3:30 ET; 2:30 CT, 12:30 PT.

    Posted: 09 Feb 2022 07:17 AM PST

    Can't make the normal Legal Office Hours time for /r/Startups, We are shifting the time this week to help the "fashionably" late startup professionals.

    Have a question about how to execute on the legal aspects of your startup? Think legal is all about magic words? Or just had a question you were afraid to ask? Unvarnished and neutral legal information can be found at LoveEsq's Legal Office Hours. ( You can also get there indirectly through the /r/startups discord server found at https://discord.gg/9qsrDuEeZS ).

    For those who can't attend you may want to look at the current resources. No attorney client relationship is formed by this event or the resources. Nothing discussed is confidential or privileged. This event is not recorded by this forum.

    submitted by /u/LoveEsq
    [link] [comments]

    Question about my options

    Posted: 09 Feb 2022 09:41 AM PST

    My options were granted at 10$ and according to them that's the FMV of the common shares.

    They are telling me the last funding round investors paid 15$ a share but those are for preferred shares.

    So I'm I making 5$ a share as profit? Or are my shares breaking even?

    submitted by /u/justAcpawith
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment