• Breaking News

    Friday, February 11, 2022

    I finally have enough money saved to pay off my student loan balance in full!! Student Loans

    I finally have enough money saved to pay off my student loan balance in full!! Student Loans


    I finally have enough money saved to pay off my student loan balance in full!!

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 11:39 PM PST

    I am so soooooooo relieved. Come May, I will have paid back the $50,000 I borrowed for my education. I am going to wait until the payment resumes and then send the final payout of $30k to these people. Freedom is so close that I can taste it!

    Thanks for all of the advice from everyone on the sub. I have been a member for several years and I have greatly benefited from the advice, comradery, news and resource sharing. DO NOT GIVE UP. YOU GOT THIS!

    submitted by /u/NotTheTokenBlackGirl
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone successfully had their federal student loan payments refunded through the CARES act?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 12:53 PM PST

    I'm in a financial emergency and I had read that any student loan payments made during the forbearance period are eligible for a refund through the CARES act. I have about $9,000 I'm trying to get back but Nelnet is telling me that they have "never heard of this." I have read other Reddit posts and multiple articles stating those payments are eligible for refund/remission.

    Has anyone successfully gotten their payments returned to them? Is there a keyword that I should be using when talking to the Nelnet representative?

    submitted by /u/hmphys
    [link] [comments]

    Will the end of federal forbearance have any control on inflation?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 07:01 AM PST

    I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Assuming federal repayment kicks back up this summer, will it have any affect on inflation?

    submitted by /u/macaroonzoom
    [link] [comments]

    unsubsidized loan interest?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 05:30 PM PST

    This might be a dumb question but I couldn't find a straight forward answer.

    I'm currently in grad school (graduating May 2023) and borrowing 30k total of unsubsidized loans (not parent plus).

    From my research unsubsidized loans accrue interest while in school - but I haven't paid anything yet. When I look at my account my balance is strictly what I borrowed. Is this because of forbearance?

    And I am planning to take 1 class next semester (which would make me not qualify for half time status) and then take two classes again in Fall - would this kick me to deferred period and then be "back in school" in fall?

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/ExpensiveLocal
    [link] [comments]

    Starting fully-funded PhD in the fall, $32K in student loans

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 06:48 PM PST

    Hi everyone! I graduate from undergrad this May, and I'm starting a STEM PhD in the fall. My funding package for the next 5 years includes a full tuition and fee scholarship, as well as a yearly $35K PhD stipend that increases over the next 5 years. Because of this, I plan on paying off my student loans during my doctoral studies. I have a little over $32K in student loans that consists of the following:

    4 unsubsidized loans

    • 3 loans at $5.5K
    • 1 loan at $1.4K

    3 subsidized loans

    • 2 loans at $2000
    • 1 loan at $1300

    3 private loans:

    • 1 loan at $4.4K with 8% interest
    • 1 loan at $2.8K with 9.375% interest
    • 1 loan $1.8K with 8.34% interest

    The question is do you think this is feasible? I've calculated out my living expenses during my graduate studies which includes paying for rent, groceries, car stuff (gas and maintenance), depositing to a savings account, and contributing to my Roth IRA. It looks like I'll be able to pay around a total of $1000 a month on my student loans (paying $100 for each loan a month), which will even leave me with $200-$300 left over for entertainment/going out with friends. It also looks like I'll be done paying off my loans after 5 years or the end of my PhD. Does this sound accurate to anyone? Is there a faster way to pay this off, such as prioritizing some over the others? I'm 21, so I could be wrong, but I want to make sure I'm on the right track. Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

    Edit: a sentence

    submitted by /u/deliriouswaves
    [link] [comments]

    I'm not sure if I qualify for FAFSA due to my parents taxes.

    Posted: 11 Feb 2022 12:09 AM PST

    Im a first year in college and don't qualify as an independent student. When applying for FAFSA I needed my parents taxes ofc. However my parents have an issue on their taxes that has not been amended yet. They are married and for years they have filed as HoH on taxes, however this conflicting information can't be put on FAFSA.

    Can I qualify for a federal student loan instead without my parents taxes?

    If my parents go through the process of amending their taxes, how far back would we need to pay overrpayed taxes. Or could they just file this year correctly without a flag being raised in the IRS causing an audit.

    Is there any way I can still qualify for FAFSA with or without their taxes?

    Should I file FAFSA with all the accurate information, or would this cause the IRS to flag and cause an audit?

    Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Apologies if this has been asked before, if it has could someone please link in the comments.

    submitted by /u/WILLUM_6
    [link] [comments]

    School charging me interest on outstanding balance??

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 11:29 PM PST

    So after covid, schools opened back up. I'd been working some jobs, some I liked and some I didn't. Decided I needed a degree and went back to school, also wasn't a huge fan of most of the schools in my area so I went out of state (it's expressive). I got grants and loans to help me pay but they don't cover the cost (government should let you take out more cause private loans are dumb af) but looking through the statement they charge me a medical fee (I have insurance through the school but paid flat rate, on the spot) and they're charging me interest on my outstanding school balance. Can they do that? And what other ways can I get money to continue school. Also they won't let me enroll in next term unless I pay over 3k

    submitted by /u/Braumson
    [link] [comments]

    Nelnet

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 10:23 PM PST

    . They have my 25k loan repayment on the standard 10 year plan estimate at 406 monthly lol In order for that to be remotely correct it would have to be Atleast a 6 year repayment plan and I don't even think that's a thing lol my highest interest rate is 4.6 not 15% lol I know it's just an estimate and I'm assuming it's a mistake so I'll have to contact them tmrw . Anyone ever have this , should I just call and ask ?

    submitted by /u/Upset-Draw-1721
    [link] [comments]

    *Help* Danish SU debt

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 03:28 PM PST

    Hello, my name is George and I'm looking for advice, particularly advice from individuals that left with SU debt at least 2 years ago. I am asking because I'm on the edge of making an important decision in my life, specifically how I finally solve this problem in the best possible way for my situation.

    I came to Denmark to study in 2015, naive and full of hope and dreams, I thought I made the right decision for myself to secure my future and to help my family. Me being the only child in an amazing and loving family that was struck by bad luck. From 2017 until 2019 I have been receiving SU and SU Loan to sustain myself, have time to study help my parents back home with their financial and medical problems.

    On 4th of July 2019 I have been kicked out of my University after failing my Spanish exam 3 times without being granted a 4th attempt. Shortly after I found a full time job in order to keep sustaining myself and my family ( parents, grandparents) back home. On 17 January 2020 I receive a letter from the SU debt department that I have to pay a sum of 72.000kr est, debt that was added up from all the hours I haven't made per month, the 43 hours rule to be specific. Since then I fell in depression and went to ask for advice from a lawyer in Aarhus from where I left even more depressed.

    Afterwards I found an article that a girl with a similar case, solved her problem at a lawyer in Copenhagen, so I found hope and I hopped on the train the next day. I spoke and was advised to gather all my payslips and make a letter of complaint, said and done. Two months later I receive a letter that the sum is actually 58.000, my response was even more payslips from vikars that closed their office, their answer was finally 28.314kr of real debt I have to pay back. Haven't I made this complaint I would have paid like an idiot something i didn't own.

    So I accepted this result and started to pay off this amount + my SU Loan, 34.473kr. Since that moment I worked and paid what they asked per month, paid my rent, my taxes and help my family back home every month. More and more I fell into depression and felt alone and helpless.

    Now I'm 25 and I'm trying to fix all my problems and those around me, I'm out of energy, I'm lost. I asked for help from my doctor, to help me and try to understand what I'm going through and told me " I don't know how can I help you?". So I gave up, completely, I consider their financial, educațional and medical system a complete and false utopia... Maybe it favors more their kind, who knows..

    Now I need a real opinion and advice from someone who left a country with debt. I plan to send a letter to the SU debt department which states that I cannot continue like this, I'm young and alone, I'm medically depressed and I'm tired, i need to leave and i need to be close to my family.

    My question is, If they don't approve my letter of forgiveness, will 7k euros debt follow me to my home country or other corners of the planet? Will I be seen as a bug in this society for not paying a debt that was estimated wrongly all along? Is there anyone that left with student debt from an EU country like this?

    submitted by /u/Briuslii
    [link] [comments]

    What are the drawbacks of IDR (REPAYE)?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 09:26 AM PST

    I returned to grad school just before the pandemic kicked off (fun stuff), and accrued 109k (between 4-7% interest) in student loans. I made 51k in 2021, but I'm slated to make 95k in 2022.

    My original payment is $1209/month, but REPAYE brings it down to $287 (based on 2021 tax return). Is there any reason to not switch to REPAYE and continue paying $1209 or more a month, with the excess going towards the highest rate loans? It seems too good to be true.

    Further info if need: Unmarried and my oldest loans actually go back to 2009 from undergraduate.

    submitted by /u/vulpiter
    [link] [comments]

    Navient didn't get my application for recertification of my Income Based Repayment plan.

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 01:07 PM PST

    About 2 weeks ago I applied for my recertification of my Income Based Repayment plan in the studentaid.gov/ I received a email that Navient got the application. I just called Navient they didn't receive the application. Now I need to applied again. Forewarned always check your application. I so mad now.

    submitted by /u/MageArtist89
    [link] [comments]

    Student Loan Servicer Changed - Didn't apply my pending payment

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 11:05 AM PST

    So I had MyFedLoan. I had a payment set up with them, as they were transitioning my loan to a new servicer.

    They took my money, but it never went towards my loan (now at the new servicer). Looks like they basically pocketed the money.

    I was on hold w/ them ~1.5 hours yesterday.... "Only 4 minutes left until your assisted", this continued for about a hour, before I hung up, and requested they just call me, when they had a agent free. Eventually a couple hours go by, the automated system calls me back, and they say, if you still need help, just call back.

    So I am on hold again today... hopefully don't have same experience, but it has already been ~ 45 min. Anyone have suggestions? I wonder if they just closed up shop, and aren't taking anymore calls.

    submitted by /u/calicobrak
    [link] [comments]

    Can you do PAYE and PSLF?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 09:29 AM PST

    I work for a non-profit currently. Am I able to get PAYE for reduced payments for the 120 payments I need for the PSLF?

    submitted by /u/Attempt_to_human
    [link] [comments]

    Can I pay off some of my loans as an undergrad?

    Posted: 10 Feb 2022 06:42 AM PST

    Sorry if this is a dumb question. Luckily, I won't graduate with a TON of debt, but it is still thousands of dollars that I agreed to when I was barely an adult 🙄. All of my loans are federal. I saved up a decent amount of money by working through college and I'm about to graduate in May. I definitely don't have the full amount of my loans, but I have enough where I could pay off a decent chunk of it right now, (5k) while it isn't gaining interest yet. Am I allowed to do this? Or will I have to start a repayment plan? which I don't want to do until I'm graduated obviously and have a steady income. Appreciate any advice.

    submitted by /u/Acrobatic-Pizza9798
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment