• Breaking News

    Tuesday, February 1, 2022

    Accounting I've backed myself into a corner with my audit supervisor and I can't think of a good way out.

    Accounting I've backed myself into a corner with my audit supervisor and I can't think of a good way out.


    I've backed myself into a corner with my audit supervisor and I can't think of a good way out.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 06:08 PM PST

    Every Day I have been moving my supervisor's desk 1 cm to the left. Now, his desk was situated firmly against his righthand wall with a very small gap. I started doing this two weeks ago so we're a full 12 cm(4.7 inches) away from the wall now. Or something, I dunno, I'm just eye balling this shit. Now here's the kicker. I took some bets on how long i can keep this up, and word got around. So, people keep stopping into his office to say hi for seemingly no reason and the guy fucking loves it. Every time I walk by his office someone is in there asking how his day is and how his kids/grandkids are doing. I've honestly never seen the guy happier.

    So here's where the real dilemma lies. Normally this guy stays until 8, maybe 9 during busy season, but with all of the distractions he's been staying later and later. I could try waking up earlier but if I miss a day, then I miss out on $480. I can't just do it while he's here, so my only really option is to out last this guy and stay just a little bit longer than he does. Last night he didn't leave until 10:15 and I just spoke to him like 20 minutes ago it sounds like he still has a lot of stuff to get done today before leaving.

    So, it's 9PM and I guess I'll just sit here until he is finished up whatever the fuck he's doing so i can go move his desk.

    submitted by /u/Barry-Hallsack69
    [link] [comments]

    PA

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 07:56 AM PST

    “Don’t schedule doctor’s appointments during busy season” is the most psychotic statement our profession has normalized

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 11:44 AM PST

    That 1-2 hours won't save anyones life but going to your doctors appointment quite literally could.

    submitted by /u/Tiredkobe
    [link] [comments]

    How’s your busy season going

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 05:37 PM PST

    I'm currently sitting in the dark watching Tik toks drinking a glass of whiskey after my 11 hour work day

    submitted by /u/Needcpa
    [link] [comments]

    I'm so proud of u

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 06:31 AM PST

    Isn’t it funny how...

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 02:35 PM PST

    I got a degree in accounting but here's how my time is spent in public so far:

    • 40% copying

    • 40% pasting

    • 5% receiving instructions on what to copy + paste

    • 5% fixing copy + paste errors

    • 6.9% contemplating my choices in life

    • 2.5% asking my senior if I can take a potty break

    • 0.6% recalc'ing Reddit posts like this one

    ———

    100% Rx

    submitted by /u/RiskyAccountant
    [link] [comments]

    I haven’t been able to eat lunch for a year at my industry job. I’ve literally never had down time, and there are 5-6 hours of calls a day with cameras on. I work 65 hours a week on average. Please tell me this is not normal because I’m starting to lose it.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 11:50 AM PST

    Long story short, started a new job in June in NYC. After my first week of getting access, it has been absolute hell.

    I'm looking for a new job, but need some external reaffirmation that I'm not insane in the meantime.

    This job sucks. It's the worst I've ever had. And it's industry.

    The thing is that everyone that's left seems fine with it and for some reason have been there for years. The cool people have all turned over, some leaving with no offer.

    I haven't been able to eat lunch since I started. Assignments are ad hoc and given at random intervals with 60 minute check ins.

    There are 9am stand ups and 5pm stand ups on your accomplishments daily.

    We'd had 5-6 hour camera on calls on the weekend multiple times.

    All calls are cameras on. No matter what.

    We have to return to the office 2-3x a week. One person at a time, per team. Yes, you have to commute in and then work by yourself with zoom calls. Camera has to be on with background off to verify that you went in.

    Coworkers are clicky. The older folks purposely didn't teach us things and then mock us during calls and try to trip us up.

    I'm asked to fix problems that no one has ever fixed before. Then drilled on why I didn't

    I wake up every morning feeling like a failure and a dumbass when I know it's not my fault. I've had success In All my previous roles.

    I'm given an impossible workload and am questioned daily why i haven't done it.

    I wake up everyday severely depressed. I'm close to just walking out.

    submitted by /u/OnFolksAndThem
    [link] [comments]

    IFRS 16, this guy gets it

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 08:28 AM PST

    CPA with 9 years experience in HCOL area. Is 200k total comp reasonable to ask for?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 06:46 AM PST

    Im a controller. Only person on finance. I'm responsible for audit, working with tax firm, financial reporting, payroll, policy and procedure, cap table mgmt.

    I'm currently getting 150k and feel underpaid. HR is telling me I'm not underpaid. Is it reasonable to start looking and ask for 200k+? I've been at current role for almost two years.

    Edit to add first paragraph

    submitted by /u/justAcpawith
    [link] [comments]

    This is my life now! *Cries in PA*

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 09:31 PM PST

    Debit Cash | Credit Life

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 07:53 PM PST

    For auditors, does your client never seem to care about the audit work and service?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 11:54 AM PST

    So I am at B4 and my client is private and my senior spotted an error and told the client but the client didn't care one bit and just told us to hurry up and finish.

    Then I had dinner with my uncle who is a major B4 client and said that nobody actually cares about the opinion of auditors that much since the client has vastly more expertise than the auditor in both industry reporting and standards.

    Not sure but it seems the overtime for audit is pointless since I feel that nobody actually cares about audit work and everyone is just set on rigging the audit test papers?

    submitted by /u/BF5lagsssss
    [link] [comments]

    Putting in my 2 weeks on Thursday. Any advice? (Big 4)

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 07:27 PM PST

    I don't think anyone sees it coming and I'm super nervous lol. I'm a S1 in tax, have another job lined up in industry for a 20% pay raise.

    Anyone want to share their experience with resigning? Any advice or tips are appreciated. I don't want to burn any bridges.

    submitted by /u/zone10gardener
    [link] [comments]

    Feeling Lost - Senior Accountant

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 03:54 PM PST

    Hi guys,

    I'm 26 years old and recently passed all four CPA examinations on the first try. I have B.S. in accounting (3.3 GPA) and have 6 years of accounting experience, mostly real estate accounting. Just this month I accepted a senior accountant job at a start up REIT. I feel very lost at times and I forgot small accounting concepts that I feel like I should know by now. There just always seems to be something I've missed or didn't think about. Even with all the education and experience I feel dumb as a doorknob most days. Does anyone else have this problem as an accountant or is it just me?

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Legitimate_Cold1482
    [link] [comments]

    Bad idea to leave Big 4 Assurance as an A2?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 05:21 PM PST

    I've been working at Big 4 for about 1.5 years now. My team is great with me, super patient and understanding and I love working with them. But I just keep thinking of quitting. I don't enjoy the work or find it interesting and that's demotivating for me. I was thinking of staying until the summer as one of my seniors was saying I was going to get promoted (by my performance I doubt it) but I don't even know if I want to be here that long. I definitely don't want to do another busy season, which is next fall, but I was just wondering if I would be doing myself a disservice by leaving so early. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

    submitted by /u/pokemong130
    [link] [comments]

    I'm venting

    Posted: 31 Jan 2022 05:25 PM PST

    What is the biggest clusterfuck you’ve ever had to clean up at work?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 10:09 PM PST

    If going for a job interview from Public Accounting to elsewhere, how could I phrase to the interviewer that Work life balance is extremely important to me and I would like to use that time to study for CPA, without it making me sound like I’m lazy and don’t want to work long hours?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 10:19 AM PST

    Don't tax me on my magic money gains please!

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 03:07 PM PST

    Free Time Tracking App for PA

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 09:30 PM PST

    As we embark onto busy season, does anyone have any suggestions for a great FREE Project time tracking app with a great UI? My sticky notes all over the place aren't working.

    submitted by /u/KarmicAccountability
    [link] [comments]

    The Mileage Expense Report: Update

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 12:58 PM PST

    Got a ton of messages asking for an update and didn't want to leave people hanging!

    So we finally squeezed some information out of people.

    Turns out the employee moved between accepting his offer letter and actually starting, and the address update didn't process in time.

    BUT. He then did that 1200 mile drive 100% on his own, didn't ask or tell anybody until after the fact. He just drove 1200 miles like it was nothing. So at least we know who made this decision now.

    So naturally, I went back to step 1 - wanting gas receipts and such; you know, documentation that this is a legitimate expense. But I've been overruled by my manager, who has decided to just pay it out without even asking for receipts and move on.

    Currently attempting to CYA, which is like pulling teeth - for some reason my boss is pushing back against writing a simple "yes please book this expense report". Which, of course, only serves to increase the importance of getting the CYA ¯\(ツ)

    Long story short: expense reports are still the stupidest part of accounting.

    Edit: CYA obtained. Time to move on to expense reports for alcohol lmao

    submitted by /u/TrevorIsTheGOAT
    [link] [comments]

    Are there any accountants learning how to code for their job? Just curious

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 10:19 PM PST

    Do I need a bigger monitor?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 12:52 PM PST

    Hey so I currently use the screen on my computer and a second monitor while I work. I sort of splurged on the second monitor thinking it would last me a long time but after only six months the monitor and the screen on my laptop are nearly full! I've already changed the icon size to small but there's still only a couple more slots for documents. So my question is, first, if a get a new monitor, does anyone have a recommendation for one that's big enough to last a couple years? And second will I have to keep switching back and forth between monitors to access the old documents?

    Any help/suggestions appreciated!

    submitted by /u/Notice_Natural
    [link] [comments]

    Deloitte Canada - How much is the fitness and WFH subsidy?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 09:24 PM PST

    Hello, I'm a first year tax associate. I was having cold sweats doing my first return. What suggestions can you provide?

    Posted: 01 Feb 2022 08:57 PM PST

    I was having cold sweats working on my first 1040. It required me to look at prior year's return, prior years work papers, current year's workpapers, to figure out what's needed, what's missing, and enter all the info to current year's return. I also was required to reconcile the balance sheet and do adjusting journal entries.

    It was budgeted for 2 hours, but I was such a mess, I spent 8. I was like a chicken losing its head and didn't have a process. It was way over my head. The entire time, my heart was racing, I was having cold sweats, and towards the end, my brain had a mental fog.

    It's been six hours since and I'm at home. Relaxed, gone for a walk and tried to figure out what I've done wrong but I can't seem to connect the dots. I still would feel overwhelmed tackling a similar file.

    I don't know what I should do.

    submitted by /u/Chemical_Rise7549
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment