• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 2, 2021

    Startups Can someone explain how Tim Ellis started Relativity Space (3D printed rockets) with seemingly nothing but the idea for it?

    Startups Can someone explain how Tim Ellis started Relativity Space (3D printed rockets) with seemingly nothing but the idea for it?


    Can someone explain how Tim Ellis started Relativity Space (3D printed rockets) with seemingly nothing but the idea for it?

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 12:32 PM PDT

    From what I can gather from Wikipedia and some very quick googling, he worked at Blue Origin for a while doing 3D printing work and then somehow got $500k from Mark Cuban after a cold email and joined Y Combinator shortly after.

    How on earth do you get funding for such a crazy, long shot idea with nothing but a few years of experience in industry? That's mind boggling to me. I feel like I must be missing something.

    submitted by /u/sts816
    [link] [comments]

    Interesting competition for young innovators and startups from Europe - BASF Innovation Hub 2021

    Posted: 02 Sep 2021 02:15 AM PDT

    Hi /r/startups,

    I am not sure if this is the right place for this, but I think that it might help some startups working on Cleantech solutions. These are the details of the competition:

    BASF Innovation Hub 2021 – competition that supports young innovators and start-ups. This year it connects 11 countries of Central and South Europe (Austria, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Romania, Greece) through series of Local and Grand Finale events.

    BASF Innovation Hub 2021 focuses on ideas that contribute to clean technologies and innovations that aim to improve environmental sustainability, covering one of the following topics:

    • Clean energy
    • Farm to fork
    • Circular economy

    The competition also offers a chance to secure initial monetary funding, as one of the identified channels to support further development. You get to decide how to spend it, even if the solution will not be further promoted by the company.

    Interested innovators can find more information about this year's competition and its phases, as well as send their application on the following website: join-innovationhub.com.

    Tl;dr if you are a Cleantech startup, apply to get better exposure.

    submitted by /u/forsakendemon2014
    [link] [comments]

    Question for technical co-founders

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 03:10 PM PDT

    How do you vet startups seeking technical co-founders? What's your pet peeve and what types of information would you like during out-reach?

    I'm a non-technical founder and I love talking to users/customers to understand their problems. I'm working on a SaaS product in the people analytics space. I've been validating the problem and the product idea, and am ready to create a non-functional prototype for the next step of the customer journey.

    Are you interested in joining a startup at this stage? What would you want to know? I haven't had success finding a technical person to work on the idea together. Would love to know what I should or should not be doing.

    submitted by /u/Into_Wonderland
    [link] [comments]

    Achieving fast career growth

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 03:55 PM PDT

    Im early on in my career (25) but have experience in design, some basic coding, basic marketing, and am currently in a CS team where I am involved in pre-sales, billing, onboarding and adoption.

    I love having a broad set of skills, and think it will help me in the future in more senior positions. I can see myself being C-suite of a company, but I dont have an idea myself.

    Whats the best way to get there? Should I look out for devs with ideas? Try and join an early start up as a general employee and work up?

    As I am currently applying for jobs, I'm torn between going for the brand new start ups where i could progress quickly and learn from experience, or a large company where i would learn how to do the job from peers and managers and progress potentially slower but i would be learning the 'right way' I guess.

    Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated!

    submitted by /u/salllena
    [link] [comments]

    Ensuring Company Ownership Of Contracted IP?

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 06:36 PM PDT

    Background: I'm getting an app project off the ground and am looking to hire someone to help create more professional looking mocks from what I've already made in Sketch. My hope is to use some of the re-designs from the contractor in the app MVP itself (logo, icons, color schema, other UI pieces) as well as investor presentations. I have not yet registered a company.

    My Question: I want to ensure that we own all rights to anything produced to be safe. Does anyone have specific resources I can look into for navigating this area specifically? Should I have a registered C Corp first and then look up example contracts...?

    Thank you :)

    submitted by /u/roostafa
    [link] [comments]

    How do I decide whether do merge or separate hardware and software into separate companies?

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 03:35 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I'm trying to work out if I should merge or separate the hardware and software modules of my business. I've started with a hardware device that provides a data source that is an innovation to my particular industry (Module 1). I have bootstrapped this to date but at some point will need funding to scale to take the prototype to commercial device.

    Module 2 is software based. It takes in data from many sources and the Module 1 hardware data is just one source. This software I can also bootstrap and it will be able to fund itself once we get a few customers onboard.

    Should I separate these into two different companies? My reasoning is that Module 2 may well bring in way more income than Module 1. If I group them together and get investment, then I may well be giving away shares in Module 2 when I really didn't need to for a price that is way less than they may ultimately be worth. I will definitely need funding for Module 1, there's no way around that unfortunately.

    In addition, I want to maintain as much ownership as possible if/when the companies eventually merge because I want to ensure the ultimate vision is recognized.

    submitted by /u/Graphene8911
    [link] [comments]

    Need course suggestions and help - student

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 06:01 AM PDT

    I am a student and I would like to startup a company. But I am paralyzed with just ideas, idk how to further process them and bring it to a solid business plan and get fundings. Are there any courses which would really help to process an idea? What's your process of processing an idea to bring it to reality? Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/dizzytorpedo
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment