• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 2, 2021

    Screw You: Stupid Listing Agents Real Estate

    Screw You: Stupid Listing Agents Real Estate


    Screw You: Stupid Listing Agents

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 01:29 PM PDT

    I am fu*king tired of clicking on listing after listing that claims to have features that the home does not have. I know you want more views, and you want to sell a property, but you are literally making it harder for people to find what they are looking for. The majority of homes that I search for are clearly mislabeled.

    To the stupid selfish realtors that list the wrong features, I hope you get a flat tire every month for the rest of your life. Oh, and I hope you get a client that wants a specific feature and you have to suffer like the rest of us.

    </end\_rant>

    submitted by /u/SaltCaptainSailor
    [link] [comments]

    Tenant unhappy with home after signing lease and possibly wants out - what to do?

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 11:30 AM PDT

    Tenant signed a lease for a year starting today yesterday. When they got to the property today, they complained it wasn't in the condition they expected. (It really isn't bad, I asked my cleaners, junk removal, etc all what complaints they had and even the cleaners had 0)

    He's just nit picking over little things. Like ugly curtains and cobwebs in an unfinished basement in a corner. Legit like a tooth pick or two in the basement floor (unfinished mind you, used for storage). There is a work bench that is pretty cool that he wants removed. Stupid request. Hell even metal shelves he wants removed. They're literally there for more storage and to stack things.

    Yeah it's not 'perfect' but its totally acceptable given the property. All the true living rooms are brand new - literally. Carpet flooring paint etc.

    Now it does concern me moving forward. I don't want a tenant who's going to complain about little things like this. But I want to be a good landlord.

    BUT he already signed a yearly lease and I don't want to be out this months rent. I also don't want to be taken advantage of my a tenant who thinks they can demand any and everything.

    I don't know what to do.

    I figure I will send a cleaner out for a final clean and fix some of the things that make sense, but I see no reason to remove some of the shelves and curtains.

    Hmmm thoughts?

    submitted by /u/soyerom
    [link] [comments]

    My experience with cash offers for home from Opendoor, Redfin, and Zillow

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 04:33 PM PDT

    I am northeast of Sacramento, Ca, almost in the foothills but in a fire-safe(r) area, at least according to home insurance calculus. Got cash offers from the three i-buyers. Opendoor was way easiest to talk to and work with. $512K initial offer, home evaluation on the phone camera, final offer $531K, 4.8 percent their commission, 6 or 7K in repairs, my bottom line at $497K. Terms are extremely flexible. One can cancel contract up to 24 hours before close. Unfortunately, they don't offer buying assistance in SF Bay Area where I am looking to buy. Redfin offered $507K (very early, since then there were three sales in immediate neighborhood that raised the comps). Sent as many as 3! teams (all scheduled on the same day and time window): home inspection (was a real home inspection, two guys went into the crawl space and in the attic); pest inspection, and a 3D shot of entire home. Final offer same $507 minus their 5 percent, almost same repair estimate, 1 percent closing costs, and my net cash at $478K or so. Finally, Zillow came with a crazy initial offer of $611K (I somehow forgot to accept it online), scheduled inspection 2 or 3 weeks out, and within about 4 days after the inspection came with a final offer of $524K (talk about the drop in the offer price) but 1 percent commission, 2K repairs and about $1.5K closing cost to a net proceeds of $512K. Their inspection is called "evaluation". Someone actually comes in, but they were not at all as thorough as Redfin. At the same time, talking to Zillow feels like high pressure, nothing like the easy going Opendoor. My agent estimates up to $550 K in the open market. However, the market has been cooling. With a traditional sale and 6 percent commission, not sure how much closing costs, it could come close to Zillow's bottom line, and the sale price and the time on the market/closing time are of course uncertain. I am still not decided yet. I-buyer allows to have more control of the closing date (up to 90 days) - that is of value to me. At the same time, I am a little uneasy about facing Zillow all on my own. Wanted to share the experience.

    submitted by /u/AK987AK
    [link] [comments]

    US- I just passed my NMLS Licensing Exam on the first go.

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 06:49 PM PDT

    Huge relief. I broke down seeing the 81 on the test. I worked really hard for this, I guess you can teach an old dog new tricks.

    submitted by /u/britisbusy
    [link] [comments]

    What things should I consider before buying a 100 year old house?

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 06:24 PM PDT

    I found a house that has everything I'm looking for. It's also in a great location and within my budget. The only thing that makes me pause a little is that it's over 100 years old.

    I just want to make sure I'm taking everything into consideration and not making a mistake before I (possibly) make an offer on it. What things would you consider important things to know/question on a house this old? Does anyone live in a house this old? Have you had any big issues? Should I just find something newer?

    submitted by /u/heart_of_gold2
    [link] [comments]

    Just closed on a house this morning, found out there is an easement against it

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 01:33 PM PDT

    So we just closed on this house, as is. We chose to get a house over an apartment right now to have a yard we could fence off for our dog.

    The previous owners were using the small backyard to park in, and it was entirely gravel. We planned to turn it into a lawn and seed it for grass, fence it off, and just park in the long driveway.

    We found out today that there is a permanent easement allowing our next door neighbor (whose entire property is overgrown and filled with junk) unblocked access to use our driveway to be able to park in a small cleared off spot next to their house. This would mean we would not be able to park in the driveway, fence off the back yard, or, since we will have to park back there, have a yard at all. Is there anything that can be done?

    submitted by /u/Yestattooshurt
    [link] [comments]

    Vent because the market is turning me into a mad person. I am a buyer and I ran across a home listed at 1960 sqft, 4 bedrooms but the county public data shows 1560 sqft and 3 bedrooms. I feel like the sellers are trying to cheat.

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 11:15 PM PDT

    I don't know how this all works but doesn't the seller have to list accurate information? When I looked at the listing, the public data is right on there and it clearly shows something different. I got curious and went to check the county's website and it showed the same info. I also didn't see a permit to add another bedroom so how are they able to list a space in the garage as a bedroom and also a garage? It doesn't have a closet either.

    Please educate me on how sqft and number of bedrooms can be listed differently from the county records. 🙏

    submitted by /u/tynibug
    [link] [comments]

    Question regarding appraisal.

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 10:34 PM PDT

    Thank you in advance for any information that you anyone is able to provide.

    I am beginning to believe that our real estate agent led us up a dead end road.

    We are confused and hoping to either know if this is a dead end opportunity or if this house is still a viable opportunity.

    The home we are in contract for recently was appraised. It is of slab construction. The appraiser noted that if the exterior grade is not fixed than the house entire house (to my understanding) classifies as a basement with no livable area. He stated that under the condition of the exterior grade being fixed that the mortgage value would be $216k, as long as the work (in his estimation is $15k) is done by a licensed contractor or engineer.

    Our real estate agent said we are pretty much at the mercy of the sellers at this point. If they choose to make the necessary changes and meet the new price than we can proceed. But in her opinion they will more than likely walk.

    I will include appraisal photos in the comments. Should we stop holding out hope? Is there still hope? Is there another possible Avenue to closing this house which closing date is supposed to be September 3rd.

    Honestly thank you for any information that can be provided.

    submitted by /u/SilentDiplomacy
    [link] [comments]

    Construction Spending Rises - News

    Posted: 02 Sep 2021 04:22 AM PDT

    First time landlord - to update or not?

    Posted: 02 Sep 2021 04:10 AM PDT

    I am in the process of preparing my 3 bedroom townhome to go on the rental market, and have had conflicting advice on potential upgrades prior to renting.

    The 3 bedrooms, main hallway and closets all have 14 year old carpet (fair condition). If I replace it (3.5k), I have been advised I could charge an additional $100/mo.

    The kitchen appliances are all white and also original. If I replaced with basic stainless steel($3k), I also have been advised I can charge an additional $100/mo.

    Are either of those worth it?

    submitted by /u/NewQ60Guy
    [link] [comments]

    Labour Shortages threaten Housing Supply: The Economist

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 07:14 PM PDT

    No loan commitment yet

    Posted: 02 Sep 2021 03:50 AM PDT

    Hi there…we're selling FSBO. Buyers do have an agent and their commitment was due to us yesterday, 9/1. Well, we still don't have it. Appraisal didn't occur until 8/27 and buyers have an FHA/USDA loan. Their Agent hasn't gotten back to me with an update yet either. Our closing is set for 9/17. I know things are delayed everywhere, but I'm uncomfortable because we are moving out of state next week. Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

    submitted by /u/piscessoul1980
    [link] [comments]

    Potential Renting Scam

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 11:14 PM PDT

    Hi guys, hope someone can give me some insight. I'm currently looking for an apartment with my roommate. Unfortunately, with my school's housing crisis, lately there has been an unprecedented amount of scams surfacing trying to gyp people of their money. My current situation is this: we have a potential unit to rent that we found on Craigslist. I called the lady at first asking if we could have a co-signer, but she told me she had to talk it over with her husband. She seemed like a kind lady that was understanding of our situation. Next day she texted me saying it was okay, and to send over our emails for the application. We got the application for it and at the bottom it says we must pay $150 cash and that if we are accepted it gets applied to first month's rent. If we don't get it, it gets refunded (one thing to note is that it is not a property management, but rather just a couple). That makes me suspicious since it's such a large amount of money for 2 applicants, and because it's cash. I ended up texting her and asking her why it was so high, and she said it was to have only serious applicants apply. I also asked if venmo, zelle, etc were acceptable and she said it was. Tomorrow we tour the unit, and obviously held off on paying and turning in the apps (especially bc it has our SSNs). So if we see the unit and everything looks good, how high is it that we're buying into a scam? Please let me know your opinions, and maybe how to further verify authenticity. Thanks so much.

    TLDR: Application fee for rental unit is $150 cash for 2 apps, how likely is it that it's a scam even if we tour it?

    submitted by /u/inundatedriver
    [link] [comments]

    Zillow offers a review -

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 04:28 AM PDT

    We purchased a home and shortly there after began talking with our realtor about listing ours. The market was super hot with lots of bidding wars and home selling like hot cakes. He said based on comps we would start at 330k. I was getting emails and texts from open door and Zillow so I entertained their offers. Open door offered 359 K .They came out and viewed the outside of the home while the inside was done with a video walk through. Offer came back very quickly! 362k with 5% fee and 5K in repairs.
    Zillow offered 404k. They took longer to schedule a in home walk through. But someone came out and spent about 2 hours taking photos inside and out. Then the wait began ….. I spoke to our realtor and he felt it was a good deal. Even though the market was hot he of course can't guarantee what we would get and some homes were not selling like hot cakes. New carpet and repairs and landscaping was going to set us back more then 5k…PLUS the idea of loading up 3 cats and 1 dog with 3 working adults in the home with 3 different work schedules for the weekend to show the house and then LOADING up each time someone wanted access to the home (inspections ) every time someone wanted to see the home seemed grim.

    In the interim I signed with OD so we had at least a solid. OD allows you to cancel up to 24 hours before closing so I held up hope Zillow would come through . Zillow was PAINFULLY SLOW. Days went by. Weeks went by. We were getting closer to our Open door contract closing. I called. I emailed. I texted. Sometimes I got a hold of someone. Mostly I didn't. Lots of idk what is going on with Zillow's end . Finally I get a call- the hold Up was a previous foundation repair. They needed to get an independent company out to verify that the foundation was stable. Hallelujah! That was able to be scheduled the day after the phone call which worked out perfectly for my schedule. Foundation repair was solid , and Five days after that we had our final offer 404k with 1% listing fee and 2500 in repairs. . I canceled my contract open door immediately and signed with Zillow. Emails and communication from Zillow was prompt after that. The only small snafu was yesterday the day that we closed they were missing three documents that I had to resend them. My funds hit last night and my old mortgage will be paid off this morning :-) I did have it professionally cleaned and yard done ( 340$ but would have done that anyways as we were moving and had no energy to clean )

    Realtor 330k 6% fee plus repairs 6-8k plus thr bullshit of dealing with buyers and leaving the house for views .no guarantees that we would Get over offer or how long it would sit on market
    Open door 362k with 5% fee and 5k in repairs - close when we want

    Zillow 404k 1% with 2500 in repairs. Close when we want .

    I estimated we would have needed to sell our home with the realtor for about 430 to get the same cash that we did with Zillow. But with Zillow the stress was minimal- no showing no bartering no repairs just move out and clean.

    It's seemed too good to be true but the bank account shows it really happened. Good luck ! Edited to add we are in the north Fort Worth area

    submitted by /u/1worthlesswife
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a house and didn’t notice that it needs improvements.

    Posted: 02 Sep 2021 02:03 AM PDT

    Hello everybody! We've recently purchased a new house, and I cannot say that we are pretty happy with our choice after living here for the first month. We are first-time home buyers, and I think that we've made a mistake with purchasing this place. I guess we just weren't careful enough when we looked at this place. Because in the beginning, we thought that this house is perfect and the price is affordable. We are like idiots who believed that this is a sign. We just didn't know that a low price in a lovely neighborhood is a bad sign.

    Obviously, we hired a home inspector to check out the place if it has fungus, mildew, or any insects. Everything seemed fine. We didn't have any problems like that. Besides, the house itself was clean, and previous owners replaced old carpets. We didn't notice any weird odor or anything like that. So, we thought that we are lucky enough to get this place, and after checking some other houses, we've decided that this one is the best. The neighborhood seemed friendly. The rooms are spacious enough, and a lovely garden in the backyard. Seems perfect for a young couple who has just started their family.

    We quickly brought all our belongings there, and some furniture from the place we've rented before. On our first night, we decided to put on an air conditioner because the night was hot. But some weird odor was coming out from it. Obviously, we didn't notice it before, since we didn't testes any appliances. I don't think this odor is okay, and I thought that maybe something died inside there. Do you know if this can be fixed? Or is it better to get a new one? I found a lot of positive reviews about a company for a/c installation. But I'm not sure if the people there can fix it first. Besides, we are really tight on a budget, since we also need to replace the fridge, dishwasher and washing machine. All appliances leak and I'm unsure if we can apply for another credit since all our savings went for the house deposit. Besides, the house needs some improvements.

    Maybe there are some ways to fix everything myself?

    submitted by /u/privilyorder
    [link] [comments]

    How do you get past over-analyzing and know when you’ve found the right house?

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 04:09 PM PDT

    I'm the type of person who only likes to buy clothes if I can return them within 30 days if I change my mind. The thought of spending $600,000-$800,000 on a house that could have a whole host of issues and that I can't just return as long as I have the receipt is paralyzing me.

    We've been looking at houses for a year, and I can't commit to any of them. I find something about each and every one that I don't like or worry will cause major problems for our family (needs too much work - don't want to be living through renovations for a year, too many stairs - might be dangerous, too close to a busy street, in a city with too high property taxes, in a flood zone so home insurance will be too high, in an neighborhood with an HOA - what if they turn out to be really difficult and obnoxious, etc.). What if our finances change in a year and the mortgage payment becomes a huge burden?

    When your budget is $600,000-$800,000 you simply can't afford to be this picky because you end up ruling out all of the houses. But here I am - I can't seem to commit to spending that kind of money if the house isn't perfect. In this market, there is no such thing as a "perfect" $600,000 house.

    We want to buy, stop renting, and start building equity in real estate.

    How do you get past this over-analysis and know when you've found the "right" house for your family? How do you get over the fear that you'll make an offer, go under contract, and then have buyer's remorse?

    submitted by /u/seacaptain200
    [link] [comments]

    Mailboxes for small mixed-use building

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 09:55 PM PDT

    I'm close to wrapping up renovations on a small mixed-use property I purchased last year and have had no luck getting answers from USPS about the best way to set up mailboxes, so I figured I'd ask here. The property has two apartments on the top floor and a commercial space on the bottom floor that I've leased to a local marketing agency to use as their office.

    I had thought the best solution would be to put a three-compartment, stand alone mailbox near the curb, but apparently the city codes don't allow that. So as far as I can tell, I have a few options. I'll list them in order of what I see as most realistic to least realistic, but I welcome other ideas.

    • Two-compartment mailbox mounted inside for apartment tenants; office tenant receives mail separately. The main downside I could see is that the postal worker would need two sets of keys and this could lead to some confusion.
    • Three-compartment mailbox mounted inside. This would have to go just inside the front door leading to the upstairs apartments because the residential tenants won't have access to the office. Only downside here is the office tenant would need access to the stairwell leading to the apartments.
    • Three separate single-family-house-style mailboxes mounted outside. Doesn't seem very aesthetically pleasing.
    • Three-compartment mailbox mounted outside. This doesn't seem like a great solution because all the three compartment mailboxes I've seen are the kind you see in apartment buildings and are placed inside the wall. Drilling through an exterior wall to place mailboxes doesn't seem like a realistic solution.

    I know the best way to get answers would be to speak to USPS directly but I've tried for weeks to speak to someone who can help and have not been able to get ahold of the right people. So any advice is much appreciated.

    submitted by /u/rpalaces
    [link] [comments]

    Can you reduce down payment while in contract?

    Posted: 02 Sep 2021 01:37 AM PDT

    Im offering 20% down because sellers may question my financing if I go less, particularly as I plan on offering over asking and waiving appraisal. Ideally id prefer 10% down but nbd.

    However, if theres a large gap in appraisal that I have to cover, i would then very much want to lower downpayment. I assume this is OK as I read the ability to do this is exactly why appraisal waiver offers are stronger with higher down payments, but not entirely sure

    submitted by /u/TylersDailyThoughts
    [link] [comments]

    First-time homebuyer seller credits question

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 07:09 PM PDT

    Hello,

    I am under contract on my first home. I am financing the purchase using a loan with very low closing costs. After the inspection period, the water home's water heater gave out and the seller offered $1500 seller credits.

    I believe my prepaids and other closing costs may amount to around $2000, but I also have an earnest deposit of $4000.

    Could someone explain how this works? Do seller credits get applied to closing costs before my EMD? Assuming the loan documentation is correct and the prepaids and other costs amount to a little over $2000, I should expect to get a check at closing for:

    $4000 - $2000 + $1500 = $3500?

    submitted by /u/heuve
    [link] [comments]

    Buying My first house

    Posted: 02 Sep 2021 12:37 AM PDT

    Me and my wife want to buy our first house. Our budget is tight, max 450K in and around Seattle area. However, we have been monitoring the market on Zellow and the trend is clear: prices are coming down, right now I see 10-30K reduction in price and listings remaining longer on Zellow. Should we start getting more serious and give out offers or do we have to wait. Generally my research indicated that market is cooling down however, we may not see drastic reduction in the market, or crash anytime soon. What you think? Also my rent is very reasonable even though my place is smaller than what I like it to be so I can wait couple of years if I have to.

    submitted by /u/Large_Surround8768
    [link] [comments]

    Ongoing issues with purchasing property

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 11:00 AM PDT

    I'm looking to buy a property mostly for the land, but there is a mobile home on the lot, with a tenent. The owner has stated he is not willing to ANY of the repairs found on the inspection. I am ready to possibly pull out of the deal because I am pretty sure some of the items listed are code violations and I don't want to be the sucker that takes the issues on and become responsible for his mess.

    Here is a list of some of the items, if any of you have experience with the defects and if it is a major red flag, I would greatly appricate it.

    -Foundation Piers were leaning or not level

    -Stairs were missing on 2nd exit

    -Missing planks on stairs, actually my foot went through one of the pieces of rotted wood on the day of inspection

    -Missing rails on stairs

    -Subfloor insulation damaged

    -Vapor Barrier / retarder not secured and or damaged

    -Outlets all improper polarity

    -No GFCI outlets around wet areas & kitchen

    -AC broke during inspection

    -No heating system (property is in the south)

    -Air leaks detected at connections

    -Roof end of life, loose materials, damaged

    -No smoke detectors

    -Toilets not secured to the floor

    Any feedback would be greatly appricated!

    submitted by /u/cheesefan2020
    [link] [comments]

    House for sale, hit by Cat 4 Hurricane Ida

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 08:20 PM PDT

    I'm emotional, please bear with me if I rant….

    I have a home for sale currently and I've dealt with 2 prior contracts that fell through. I was feeling as though my house would never sell.

    But a buyer came around and as of 2 weeks ago, had a closing date of the beginning of October. I was ecstatic! Couldn't wait for closing.

    And just 3 days ago on Sunday, the home was hit by a category 4 hurricane.

    There is minor roof damage. The roof is still there, thankfully, most were not so lucky, but about 10% of shingles are missing and there are leaks in 2 bedrooms likely from tears in the tar paper. So water damage as well.
    Very light water damage marks on a couple spots on the ceiling.

    For a devastating cat 4 storm with 150 mph winds, this is the only damage. I am so thankful.

    But my agent reached out and asked if I checked the home for damage and told her the damage found. She said, honestly she doesn't think the sale may proceed.

    I'm heartbroken and just defeated in so many ways.

    How does this work when the sellable home is hit by a natural disaster?

    submitted by /u/rouxinajar
    [link] [comments]

    Rent Inflation is about to surge

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 05:55 PM PDT

    Rent and owners' equivalent rent (OER)—the amount of rent equivalent to the cost of ownership—are among the most important components of the Consumer Price Index (CPI) and the personal consumption expenditures (PCE) price index.

    Since the COVID-19 pandemic began in February 2020, the inflation rates of rent and OER have declined sharply to around 2 percent in recent months, compared with 3.7 and 3.3 percent, respectively, before the pandemic. However, we expect rent inflation and OER inflation to accelerate in the years to come.

    link to research

    submitted by /u/Bluegal7
    [link] [comments]

    [Tenant-AL] poor apt condition and realty isn't doing fixing for 3weeks

    Posted: 01 Sep 2021 05:42 PM PDT

    Has been three weeks since I moved in but apt in poor condition. Missing items, bad carpet, peeled/dirty walls, and broken appliances, mold growing inside vent cover, etc... they are not fixing anything bc they have so many work orders rn to prioritize.

    Also, i feel like they are getting annoyed and trying to disadvantage me for pushing them to work on my unit. I sumbitted a work order to replace all of vent covers today because I found the back of the vents were covered in mold today. They come back to me with this. "please do not submit maintenance requests for items that are already submitted. it messes up the system so know service may be delayed" and then they canceled the work order.

    I wrote having rusted vent covers on the move-in inspection form but not molds, which is the situation I'm supposed to report immediately when noticed in my knowledge.
    So today I submitted work order for the molds, and they are not the same work orders.

    Are they kinda threatening me to have my work orders done late for my unit or are they just saying they are having delays in the work orders? I have bad feelings about them. I might be just overthinking?

    They have been saying they have so many maintenance requests rn because this is college town and everyone moves in on same day.

    What should I do in this situation? I know there is someone suing this realty company for not fixing anything for so long, but I'm a college student so I have no time, money, and energy to do that. I just want to use all the things I should be using with my rent payments.

    submitted by /u/whutareusure
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment