• Breaking News

    Friday, September 10, 2021

    Fired After 3 Weeks Sales and Selling

    Fired After 3 Weeks Sales and Selling


    Fired After 3 Weeks

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 07:37 AM PDT

    Hey everyone I'm new to the SDR field and just got canned after my third week. I'm definitely disappointed in myself for letting this happen and not sure where to go from here.

    Any advice on how I can land another SDR role? Should I even mention this on a resume?

    This isn't a good look but wouldn't having some experience be better than no experience at all?

    submitted by /u/NotKoreanSpy
    [link] [comments]

    One on one with boss in a few hours about missed assignments. Not sure if I should lie or come clean

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 05:41 AM PDT

    Hi there.

    For a variety of reasons (mental/physical health, lack of stimulation on the job/existential laziness) I have been semi delinquent at my work-from-home sales job for the last few months.

    It's inside sales, so I get a Request for Proposal, have to schedule a meeting with an engineer and planner (atleast) 2 weeks before the due date if I want to get pricing back in time to submit the proposal.

    I've had about 10 pile up in the past month or so where I have not gotten the pricing in in time by setting up the meetings, and therefore not submitted a bid, now the shit is hitting the fan.

    There is a guy who keeps track of a spreadsheet of submissions who snitched to my boss about me not turning in 10 over the past few months.

    My boss has a temper and will absolutely freak out on me during a mandatory 1:1 meeting I have with him in a few hours about it.

    I've only been at the company a year and don't have a crazy long-standing rapport with him.

    I'm split between approaching the conversation in 1 of two ways.

    1.) Lie: it will be a bad lie, but I will say that the spreadsheet I was using for tracking due dates was maligned by filtering columns incorrectly. And also try to fudge some documents to make it look like I did actually turn in some of the ones that it appears I did not.

    We've already had a few instances of him speaking with me about not doing my work properly/on time so this could come across as trying to throw a bandaid at a larger issue, or me being a constant excuse maker, but will save face for both of us compared to the alternative.

    2.) just tell the truth and have an honest discussion about me maybe just not being super engaged with this job, and that maybe I'm not a good fit. I feel constant anxiety abouthaving the deadlines creeping up and me having non-proper organizational skills/stimulation at the job to be able to do it. This will more likely result in a firing, but maybe these feelings are a sign by god. I can start my own business and not have to constantly feel tethered to my work laptop and get nervous/anxious every time an email comes in.

    I have no kids or outstanding deBt so I don't desperately need the job, and it is weighing on me. But it is relatively well paying, no toxic coworkers, completely WFH, and if I did all the work required of me still only requires about 2-3 hours of work a day max.

    I'm embarrassed that I have not done all the work that I should, but alas I cannot change the past and can only control what's ahead of me now.

    TL:DR asking for advice on how to approach a 1:1. It's in 2 hours, and I'm a little intimidated by my boss. Not sure if I should lie about missed work and try to get one more chance, or to come clean about it and likely get fired.

    Deep down I almost want the latter to happen because it will be freeing, but I have also known to have a self-sabotaging mechanism in the past so maybe that is acting up again.

    Thanks for reading and any advice is really really appreciated. Thanks.

    Edit: I think the heart of the issue is ADHD: when I don't take my meds I get lazy, when I do I'm an absolute rockstar. The meds have side effects and I've abused them in the past so I have been off them for about 8-9 months now but clearly that isn't working for my career.

    Edit 2:

    not sure if divine intervention or what, but my worklaptop completely died/having tech issues and we postponed the meeting.

    I did text him and he pressed for an explanation on the missing work. So I mentioned that I may be missing some of the work due to a tracking spreadsheet error, but I am debating calling his cell and just having the honest conversation.

    He wanted me to walk through the itemized list of 10 assignments and explain exactly what went wrong with each.

    Even though I don't have my laptop available to do that, I do want to a emi clear the air. I want to mention that I did miss some of the work on my own error and that i have ADHD and I have not been taking my meds but I just began taking them and will do better in the future. But I'm having trouble scripting exactly how to bring that up in a way that feels relevant and not awkward.

    Any advice wording/scripting that call?

    submitted by /u/Pimpjuice2
    [link] [comments]

    Sales people, what is one piece of advice you would give to your self that would have helped you sell more earlier on?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 08:07 PM PDT

    Basically, the title question

    submitted by /u/Tsuibug
    [link] [comments]

    Only during work from home

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 09:23 AM PDT

    It's 12:20pm, and I haven't put pants on today. Still in a plain white t-shirt, underwear, and wearing a hat.

    I just got off the phone with a CIO at a F500 1b+ company and set a meeting for them.

    Pretty crazy world we live in. I can't help but wonder if he's the same? Is he sitting at home in his underwear petting his dog?

    Or is he in some top floor suite overlooking a metropolitan city?

    Pretty insane, created an opportunity that will be in the millions once a quote comes in, all from this.....just some reflection for you post bong rip on my lunch break

    submitted by /u/No_Variety_4997
    [link] [comments]

    Think I'm quitting my first sales job in the first week

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 07:04 AM PDT

    about a week ago a close friend of mine reached out about interviewing with her moms company about a sales position. I was excited because I'm young, want to work in sales, and this was my first opportunity. I was under the impression I'd be selling a service for her moms already successful company. Well during the interview I find out she's starting a new company and I'd be the sole salesperson. The product is absolutely awful (I'd compare it to selling crystals that are going to cure covid). On top of this I'm currently a web developer and they're making me redo their whole website before I start sales (which would normally be a $3-$4k project alone and I'm not getting payed anything extra.)

    She's currently paying me $36k a year plus 10% commission on a product thats $90 and impossible to sell.

    submitted by /u/Jidi328
    [link] [comments]

    What food do you recommend for a rep out on the road?

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 06:29 AM PDT

    I find myself buying too much take out because its easy to go through the drive through but i waste so much money. sandwiches can be so plain and if you anything exciting on it goes soggy. just curious to know what you guys do?

    submitted by /u/JimmyD145
    [link] [comments]

    Been slumping, manager said VP says I’m ready. Take promo ASAP or wait for sdr bonuses

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 10:35 AM PDT

    Been slumping a bit. But my manager and I are cool and the VP said I'm ready to move to mid market after a forecast call where I knew my deals better than the AE.

    I have a couple whales out there that should close and I'd get commission and hit a ton of kickers. One deal would get me all the kickers and beat me 20k on that deal alone. Maybe another 5k on others that should come in.

    I want to move up and my manager said they are talking to finance about changing the pay out rules.

    I had a kind of rough financial year and this would get me into a really good place financially for the first time ever.

    My initial goal was to have this close, get the kickers then more up. But looks like I'll move up before.

    I'm not sure what they'll offer me base wise but I feel like moving up will leave a ton of money on the table I could use.

    Take promo ASAP or wait. Others will be going for the open slot as well. Not a lock but basically a lock

    submitted by /u/redthug34
    [link] [comments]

    Experienced appointment setter here and an aspiring SDR (has 3 months contractual SDR experience) looking for SDR remote work

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 09:59 AM PDT

    I'm looking for a SDR role that would welcome a newbie in the industry and a remote worker from the Philippines.

    I know this isn't the ideal place to look for a job but I just thought I'd try it here as I'm really hoping to be directly employed by an overseas company without the need to apply to a BPO/agency. Not only do they take a big cut off of our pay, they're also not a big fan of giving commissions to their agents despite hitting goals.

    I have 3 years experience in sales (half of it was doing appointment setting for Google) and was recently a Sales Development Representative for a Finnish company for 3 months (contractual and for some unfortunate personal reason, it wasn't extended).

    I would very much like to explore the industry more and learn all facets of the role to be an effective SDR so if you or your company is looking and open to hire a remote worker from the PH, I would really love to have a quick chat with you. I'm a fast learner and veeeery resourceful and you can basically just tell me what to research/learn more and I'll come back at you kinda-expert about it so take a chance on me! Hehe. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/dan_inthebox
    [link] [comments]

    SDR to AE Interview Advice

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 04:33 AM PDT

    Current SDR finally getting to interview for AE positions. This is a big jump — I have no closing experience. What questions should I anticipate answering? Any general advice? First couple interviews are today.

    Thanks r/sales!

    submitted by /u/okaybutfirstcoffee
    [link] [comments]

    Just give me a price tag!

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 11:43 AM PDT

    I'm in a new role (kind of a sales job, did communications before, and I thought I would never say that, because I never believed I'm a „sales guy", but I really enjoy the work :)) and currently speak to a lot of service providers because we are setting up a new business and I encounter meetings where the other sales guy just won't give me the f**** price. They say let's talk about the next time, this and that, our product is so great. And I have to say I genuinely mistrust those guys. If your product is so great, just tell me at least the price range of the service and then I can see if it's even worth to keep on talking because we are on a budget. This is such a waste of time, for the other sales guy.

    For my short experience this seems to be the WORST sales strategy ever.

    Just wanted to leave this here as small rant and my first experience I'm making in the whole sales area.

    Ps. Great sub, I already learned a lot here for my new role!

    submitted by /u/hiiirsch
    [link] [comments]

    Am I Missing Something? Medical Device Sales vs Commercial Equipment Sales

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 06:51 AM PDT

    I have two sales job offers. One is in cardiac rhythm management and the other is in commercial/industrial equipment sales. I feel that the medical device company is a better opportunity for career growth, etc. Am I wrong or missing something?

    TIA

    submitted by /u/BarberTough9574
    [link] [comments]

    Is it a good way to break into SaaS sales at a startup?

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 05:34 AM PDT

    I am currently fininishing up my senior year of college, and have a connection that can hook me up with an a SDR role at a company that has around 15 employees. He said base will be around 55k with OTE around 70-75k. Is this something I should look into? It's my #1 option right now out of college.

    submitted by /u/thatsalesguyy
    [link] [comments]

    Finding Insurance Agents

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 09:19 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I sell cold call data to insurance agents/agencies. I've had quite a bit of success with my existing base (yay) but I need to find these little guys and I've already hit my limit for linkedin connections. Any suggestions?

    Looking into the many database companies like prospect toolkit/zoom info etc but trying to not spend an arm and a leg. Yes I know you get what you pay for.

    submitted by /u/Monsantoshill619
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a podcast/website dedicated to Enterprise Prospecting?

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 08:49 AM PDT

    I was recently hired on the enterprise business development team at a SaaS company, and I have been doing relatively well for myself. I gained a lot of attention by the company in the short time I've been here by booking a few meetings with CIOs and CDOs. Part of me wants to think it was just the right timing as well as the high level of personalization I've put into it my outreach. I've been doing a lot of research like listening to 30 Minutes to President's Club and although the podcast has some super insightful content, I feel like most it is tailored for selling to other sales leaders.

    Is there any type of resource to consume regarding selling to Enterprise orgs C-suite/VP/Directors?

    submitted by /u/4runninsd
    [link] [comments]

    How Often Do You Talk To DMs?

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 08:38 AM PDT

    I've started a new SDR role in saas and it's my 2nd month in. Thanks to this subreddit I've been crushing it and ive been above my quota figures. I have no problem setting meetings once I get in front of a DM. The only issue is due to my industry the DMs are very hard to reach and many times are barely even in their office. This leads me to making many calls trying to find those DMs. It's hours and hours of grinding just to talk to 1-2 DMs not because I can't get passed the GK but because they're always in meetings or busy. I'm starting to wonder if there are other SDR jobs that are easier to get in front of DMs.

    How often do you guys talk to DMs? If you're good at setting meetings do you ever put 4-6 hour days because you talk to DMs often and have no issue setting meetings?

    submitted by /u/justanother-eboy
    [link] [comments]

    Due Diligence

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 08:32 AM PDT

    Hello, I am in the process of interviewing for another company within my industry. After the offer, they will do due diligence to make sure there aren't any non-competes. What else does due diligence entail? I tried looking at google and there wasn't much on there other than from sales to the business they are selling to. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/big_wings
    [link] [comments]

    Pants or No Pants?

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 01:53 PM PDT

    Let's be honest, how many of you shameless salespeople are doing zoom sales calls without your pants on?

    What's the consensus here.

    Pantaloons or no pantaloons?

    submitted by /u/Human_Dingus
    [link] [comments]

    AIO E-mail finder, campaign sender, CRM?

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 07:46 AM PDT

    Good morning /r/sales I know there are a ton of threads on sales solutions people recommend but I wanetd to add to it.

    As a solopreneur I need a cost efficient solution that can streamline some processes. I found Apollo.io and I really like it for

    -Finding Emails (it seems to be fairly accurate)

    -Sending drip campaigns and Tracking open rates

    -Plus I can add notes and it attaches itself to my LinkedIn Navigator

    I would like to compare what I have with other products.

    Does anyone use anything similar that they love?

    Thanks for the help and I love lurking in the sub

    submitted by /u/TraumaGuy40
    [link] [comments]

    Struggling with mental health

    Posted: 09 Sep 2021 09:48 PM PDT

    Been in the sales role for nearly 6 years. Moved country twice for the role, 30 M married and a pawrent (lol) in alcohol sales. I've been struggling lately with where I'm at. I studied design and marketing in university and kind of fell into this role. It's had its high and lows and sales are decent right now but I just can't help but think I'm done with dealing with rude buyers. Don't get me wrong there are some fantastic and helpful people in this business but I get up in the morning, more times than not, and dread the day. I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling this. I half think it's a rut but also half think it's me thinking that I can't do it anymore. My goal is to go back into marketing eventually but I just don't see a roadmap there. Any advice from fellow sales people?

    I'm sorry for unloading to you all I just don't know where else to go.

    submitted by /u/crowlz90
    [link] [comments]

    Resume - Any Resources?

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 06:31 AM PDT

    GM r/sales . I am in the process of applying to a new position while currently employed. I scoured r/sales for any resources on resume building or updating and i could not find any. I am a firm believer in never using google for resume advice or formats. i figured i'd ask the largest community of closers for their recommendations. i am not looking for anyone to rate my resume i am just looking for helpful tips and good ideas. Thank you in advance!

    submitted by /u/xconsolecowboy
    [link] [comments]

    Outbound via Facebook (B2B)

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 06:01 AM PDT

    I have decent success running b2b outbound sales via my personal Facebook profile. Recently hired a VA to take care of all the repeating stuff - aka finding companies and building report with them.

    We are frequently getting a lot of issues where Facebook doesn't let us send - for obvious reasons, since it's not actually meant to be used in that fashion.

    For those of you running any kind of social media agency, how are you doing your outbound sales? I like to have this channel to complement the advertising I'm running.

    Stats
    Sending max 20 messages per 24 hours
    Close rate around 3%

    All input appreciated

    submitted by /u/Supermaister
    [link] [comments]

    Prospective engineering graduate from South Africa looking to start a career in sales

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 04:32 AM PDT

    Hi guys!

    I will be graduating with a degree in engineering at the end of the year. Through the course of my studies, however, I've come to realize that my field doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

    I've become increasingly interested in digital nomadism and would love to work remotely once I've completed my studies. Despite the fierce competition, it seems as though SDR and BDR positions are the only ones I have a (diminutive) shot at landing with no prior experience.

    I'm considering completing a sales bootcamp and becoming acquainted with the most commonly utilized CRM software. Will that increase my chances to obtain a job within a reasonable time frame (say 2-3 months)?

    Any suggestions, advice, and/or criticisms are welcome.

    submitted by /u/LalSmit
    [link] [comments]

    Recently got a job at Cutco but don't know a lot of people

    Posted: 10 Sep 2021 05:34 AM PDT

    I recently got a job selling Cutco and I'm currently at training but I can't help but stress about how I don't know anyone. My parents are immigrants here in the States so they obviously won't buy the product and my parents have friends from their own country so they obviously won't buy the product. They'd rather use their blunt knives from Walmart than pay that much for knives. Also, growing up, I didn't really make much connections with people or have a job because of personal issues I faced and I'm not big on social media because I'm not really into all that so I obviously don't know how I can get recommendations and sell the product to ppl since I don't know anyone at all. Do u guys know what u can do? I think this job is a good opportunity for me since I'm a student at uni but I don't know how to work with it. Should I just quit or can u guys give me recommendations or advice?

    submitted by /u/PuzzleheadedMail
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment