• Breaking News

    Friday, October 9, 2020

    Startups Fundraising Thursdays - A Forum to Ask About Fundraising, Investors, Accelerators, and Other Sources of Capital

    Startups Fundraising Thursdays - A Forum to Ask About Fundraising, Investors, Accelerators, and Other Sources of Capital


    Fundraising Thursdays - A Forum to Ask About Fundraising, Investors, Accelerators, and Other Sources of Capital

    Posted: 08 Oct 2020 06:05 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Fundraising Thursdays Thread.

    Ask about anything related to fundraising, investors, accelerators, grants, and other sources of capital.

    That includes how to find these sources, how to work with them, and how to negotiate with them.

    Don't be shy. The purpose of this is to learn and share ideas and methodologies with one another.

    Any question is a good question!

    If you are answering questions, remember to be kind and supportive. Many are just starting out and have no idea what they are doing. That's okay! We all knew nothing before we knew something.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    How can startup businesses gain followers on their social media pages?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2020 06:44 PM PDT

    Startup business life is really a huge struggle to conquer, especially when you are trying to gain followers on your respective social media pages. What advice can you give to them in order to gain followers and potential business clients? Would love to hear from all of you.

    submitted by /u/Team_Elephant123
    [link] [comments]

    Can I take money from users without having a company?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 01:56 AM PDT

    So I have a website where people have access to the education content for free ( for now 😅 ). What I want to achieve is to validate the idea and ask people to pay for access to premium content. As I don't have a company set up, I'm wondering how I could do it. To register on payment service like stripe I have to provide company details etc. I don't want to do that just yet, as I want to validate the idea. Any ideas of how I can proceed from here? I'm based in the UK.

    submitted by /u/clinchio
    [link] [comments]

    One time purchase price for a monthly SaaS?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 01:40 AM PDT

    A potential customer is adamant that they want to buy the SaaS once. They also said that they want to host it locally on their server.

    I explained that this is not advised because:

    • Won't get updates.
    • No support.
    • Not accessible on mobile.
    • Data can be lost if the server fails.

    The current price is $15 / user / month.

    They said they want 10 users i.e. $150/month if it's SaaS.

    What should I quote them for a one time purchase? Or should I stay away from customers like these?

    submitted by /u/8483
    [link] [comments]

    Is this fair?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2020 07:03 PM PDT

    About a year ago my boss and I decided to create a new startup. He has no tech experience or experience in the market that this product is for. He hired on a guy with some business experience to manage the business for him and provide financial guidance. This person also has no tech experience or experience in this particular market.

    They both decided that it was fair that they were founders and I am not -- they own a vast majority of the company and they have total say in how the money / people are managed -- I am made aware of none of that. They gave me 10% of the initial shares, which they claimed was more than generous. None of us are getting salaries. For the past year I have been expected to work on the product in my spare time while the business partner pays for parts (which total to maybe $10k spent so far) and in that year I've maybe been given $2k for my time. The product is entirely tech-based, and I do more or less all of the work, consisting of designing the electronics, having the boards manufactured, soldering everything, assembling it, writing the code for it, writing the code for the backend for the website, writing a good portion of the front-end code, planning how everything is going to work, creating our website, setting up all of these servers, etc, etc.

    Their job is to find customers and to manage the business side of things. When I claim my share isn't fair, they get enraged. Am I being dramatic, or is this normal? They are much older than me, so there is an age dynamic there as well.

    submitted by /u/test470
    [link] [comments]

    Is getting a job at a startup studio (temporarily) a good idea for an aspiring founder?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2020 06:02 AM PDT

    Hi,

    I'm currently a second-year university student who has aspirations of being a (HardTech startup) founder one day. Obviously, my University was moved online and I thought I should use the time to get practical experience.

    My planned internship at a robotics startup (that is currently experiencing major growth after a massive Series A) fell through, so I'm evaluating my other options. I want to use this experience to learn about actually running/succeeding with a startup. Would getting a job at a venture studio give me as much insight into running a startup?

    They go through the classic startup process (research, validation, lean development, iteration...), but it still feels a bit less "real" than a startup, if you get what I mean.

    Also, their specialty is in industries I'm not super interested in (FinTech, InsurTech,...), but I suppose the process learned does not change industry to industry?

    Thanks, guys.

    submitted by /u/Du81n3k
    [link] [comments]

    Videoconferencing Hardware Solution

    Posted: 08 Oct 2020 02:37 PM PDT

    We are a new startup with ~8 employees, growing rapidly. We would like to have 2+ video conferencing "hubs" in multiple conference rooms, ideally movable. I bought a TV and a rolling stand from Amazon for use with Google Meet. I didn't want to spend $2000+ on Google's own Asus made combo of webcam, mic, computer, and display to dial into meetings, also because it is not movable, and wondering if we can accomplish the same or close to the same for cheaper? Maybe a Chrome tablet with touch screen and webcam ($500), an external conference mic & speaker (are about $100-$200 on Amazon) would do? What have others here done? Thank you very much in advance!

    submitted by /u/jintoku
    [link] [comments]

    How I got my first 100+ newsletter subscribers within 36 hours (for free)

    Posted: 08 Oct 2020 07:39 AM PDT

    Hi all!

    I recently launched a newsletter, summarising books and other content to provide lessons for entrepreneurs but didn't have a clue how best to secure sign-ups. I posted on forums, asking for hints and tips - which proved to be very helpful. Overall, things were very successful in terms of my initial launch (recieved over 100 subscribers) and thought it would be good to share some things that worked for me.

    Takeaways

    1. LinkedIn

    Because LinkedIn is meant to be a professional network, this was a great help for me - and probably the source of most of my initial sign-ups. One helpful tip is to link the launch of the newsletter/product to your current career journey. This way, people who know you, who may not even have apparent needs for signing up may be more willing to support and engage with the post. This is helpful because that places it in theirfor their contacts to see - spreading your initial circle quite quickly.

    2. Target Audience - Platforms

    Once I had started securing the low hanging fruit, I started trying to reach my target audience - entrepreneurs. One example that I used was Indiehackers - a platform for founders to share thoughts, ideas and progress. A relevant post in these settings led to over 100 comments, 50 likes, and a good number of subscribers.

    3. Other Socials

    These were useful, but the ROI felt lower pre-launch. However, post-launch, this created avenue for sharing content. Because it was a newsletter for example, I was able to repurpose the content, and post snippets on other platforms that referred to the source. This was helpful. Placed a reference to the blog on the bottom corner of all original graphics. Additionally, I shared the first post on LinkedIn after the launch too.

    4. Distributors / Directories

    Finally, I placed the newsletter on several up-and-coming newsletter directories. This hasn't yielded a large number of results just yet but a few sign ups are trickling in over time.

    Conclusion

    It's not been easy, but it's definitely something that can be replicated by others. Leveraging as many funnels as possible for any launch is helpful. That said, would love to hear whatever tricks come to mind for you?

    submitted by /u/rich_awo
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone pay for a chatbot service for their startup that could answer a few questions?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2020 12:08 PM PDT

    I'm trying to understand what metrics you use to determine if the chatbot is effective for your business and what type of problem is being solved or not solved.

    Perhaps someone knows of links/resources that I could refer to instead of a 5min chat?

    I am not trying to solicit a sale. I am purely trying to understand the space (I don't have a chatbot company). This truly a resource request.

    submitted by /u/reddit_helper2
    [link] [comments]

    Does anyone here have a product that involves audio streaming?

    Posted: 08 Oct 2020 11:55 AM PDT

    Hi folks,

    I'm working on an app that will allow users to stream audio tracks (mp3s), I'd like to know what the best way to host these files for streaming is (on the cloud). For now I was thinking of hosting them on Amazon S3 and putting a Cloudfront CDN in front of it. But I don't know if this is the best way or the most cost effective.

    If anyone here has a similar product, how to you handle hosting streaming media?

    submitted by /u/jonaHillsAnus
    [link] [comments]

    P&L or Operating expenses

    Posted: 08 Oct 2020 11:17 AM PDT

    P&L sheet

    What do investors usually request when it comes to numbers? I have presented a quick revenue demonstration but they insisted to come back with P&L or operation expenses sheet? Anyone here is capable of doing or at lease show me the best way of any resource I can copy? This is mainly for SaaS business.

    Many thanks in advance

    submitted by /u/mickeyfunk
    [link] [comments]

    State specific marketing

    Posted: 08 Oct 2020 09:32 AM PDT

    I'm wondering if any of you can share some advice, insight, or ideas as to targeting users ONLY in a specific State. For regulatory reasons, a startup I'm working with essentially can only operate in our home state. So we've used Facebook and Google for UA and it's doing well so far but how to we branch out? Are there any other solid options to reach users only in a very defined market?

    The reason for this is that it's related to online gambling and licenses are restricted to the state in which you're licensed

    submitted by /u/ATS200
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment