• Breaking News

    Saturday, October 10, 2020

    Paid off one of my loans! Student Loans

    Paid off one of my loans! Student Loans


    Paid off one of my loans!

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 04:35 AM PDT

    I have a long way to go (9 more loans total) and decided to focus on my smallest loan amount to pay it off and I DID IT. I woke up this morning and read the "Paid in Full". It was a small amount but just needed to brag a little because it made me smile. Its going to be a great day!

    Edit: Thank you everyone for the kind words! This is such a supportive community. Let us all continue this journey together!

    submitted by /u/adevries10
    [link] [comments]

    UK - Has anyone been able to speak to anyone at SLC recently? Received a student loan overpayment after I deferred starting my course but can't speak to anyone to repay it

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 12:03 AM PDT

    I deferred the start date of my course until 2021 at the last minute. I tried to notify SLC/student finance directly but the phone lines were closed. I called the uni who said they'd notify SLC but yesterday I received a third of my maintenance payment into my bank account.

    I want to pay it back ASAP as I don't want it to impact on my loan next year but I'm having no luck getting through to anyone at SLC, only getting pre-recorded messages which say to go online. The only option online is to make a repayment but I don't want to do this without speaking to someone incase it reduces my loan next year.

    Has anyone had any luck speaking to a human at SLC? Or an email address that I could contact? It seems my only option at this stage is sending a letter! Any help is appreciated TIA

    submitted by /u/eggios
    [link] [comments]

    Why are older millennials targeted with the worst federal student loan terms?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 09:49 PM PDT

    Just noticed while considering a consolidation and repayment options- for loans before 2014, is IBR basically a no-go? I ran my loans through a calculator and changing only the option for before or after 7/1/14 increases the amount I would ultimately have to pay for everything (principal and interest) by 70%. Is there a better option or are older borrowers basically SOL? Should I even bother consolidating?

    submitted by /u/SheedsBirthmark
    [link] [comments]

    Almost done... sort of.

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 06:55 AM PDT

    I started my student loan journey in 2009 with 110,000 in student loan debt, refinanced in 2018 with a loan of 40,033 with earnest before they got purchased by navient. Today I owe 22,912 and will hopefully be able to completely pay it off next year. I plan to save 1,000 per month and pay my monthly payment of 275 bi weekly I will be debt free next year with a little bit of my savings. There is hope, everything will be alright.

    Other facts.

    I ended up having a 60/40 split of private/federal

    I paid my federal loans off in early 2017 (yeah I know I messed up paying my federal first)

    My income has went from 30,000 - 94,000 in 11 years

    I work a second job that pretty much pays for some of my hobbies/interests

    I received zero help paying my loans off... I had to do it completely by myself.

    submitted by /u/whoaitsvass
    [link] [comments]

    Advice about Private Loans

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 02:19 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I'm in my final semester of college and still owe $10,618. This is after Federal student loans, and a reduction due to Covid 19.

    My only available option is getting a private loan but I'm unsure of what to get. I would also need to ask my mother to cosign because I currently do not make enough.

    I was going trying to apply for Discover, but I haven't heard the best about them from friends.

    I've been stressed and anxious trying to find different ways to pay off my tution but a medical bill from Spring 2020 completely drained my savings and checking account.

    Any advice about your experiences with various loan services is appreciated, thank you!

    submitted by /u/Ok-Cry1233
    [link] [comments]

    UK loan - Advice for someone abroad for the last 10 years?

    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 01:56 AM PDT

    I got a small loan around 12 years ago, applying I think for some base living fees or something, I seem to remember it came to like 2 grand... I did a year at uni before going to Uni in china and my family paying, and 12 years later I'm still in China now working steady.

    Needless to say as it was a small amount I totally forgot about it and moved on with my life, and SLC only had an old email I never used which they sent the odd cut n paste email stating I needed to update my work status a couple times a year...

    Suddenly today I decide to look at my old email address and I see an email from them saying they've updated to online at GOV.UK... Reminding me I even have the loan...

    I'm a little clueless as to how things work, has that 2 grand (could be much more I really don't remember) been sat there accumulating interest? I don't even earn the 29k GPB (I think? in China that'd qualify me for starting to pay back? Should I go on the website? Should I update my details at all? Or just go on with my life in China?

    submitted by /u/renvaar
    [link] [comments]

    Taking a year off

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 07:55 PM PDT

    How does loan repayment work if I am taking a year off and returning next fall? I understand that I have a 6 mo grace period, and I completed loan exit counseling a while back but will my loan servicer contact me about how much I will need to pay each month? Will I need to continue paying when I re enroll in classes again? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

    submitted by /u/uhhqco
    [link] [comments]

    Should I consolidate my loans?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 02:34 PM PDT

    I just received a final notice for loan consolidation and I've been debating whether its the best choice for me. I just graduated an am still unemployed. I have a $3,200 federal perkin, about $14k subsidized federal, and about 4k unsubsidized federal (no private loans at all). Do you think this is the right move? I'm kind of scared that the interest rate will be crazy high of I consolidate but the benefits look really nice. I thought I would have a job at this point by COVID has really messed up a lot of hiring opportunities. And now that the grace period will be over soon, I'm just very worried overall.

    submitted by /u/satsuki23
    [link] [comments]

    Foreign national thinking of doing a Masters in the US or Canada

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 08:26 PM PDT

    Hello everyone. I am looking at Masters programs in the US and I know that funding sources for a Masters are few and far between. I am also aware that most student loans are exclusively meant for Americans or Canadians, and those that can be extended to foreigners often require that the student in question have a US/Canadian cosigner.

    Does anyone know where I can apply for a student loan even without a US/Canadian cosigner?

    submitted by /u/YeahUpMaButt
    [link] [comments]

    Student Loans with the Fulbright Scholarship?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 01:25 PM PDT

    Hi everyone, I just received news that I got the Fulbright ETA award to Taiwan but I'm so anxious about my student loans from my undergraduate that I'm having a hard time being excited. I have about $20k in loans altogether, subsidized and unsubsidized federal, and I'm really doubting my decision to go through with the program. I know that I can defer, but I'm very worried that I'll get too far behind in my loans to catch up. Does anyone have any advice?

    submitted by /u/satsuki23
    [link] [comments]

    IDR plan Recertification has been extended for at least 12 months

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 07:31 AM PDT

    FEDERAL LOANS EMAIL TODAY:

    Recently, you received a message from your federal student loan servicer regarding the extension of 0% interest and the suspension of payments on your student loans. You are currently enrolled in an income-driven repayment (IDR) plan. Although you are not required to recertify right now, if your income has changed significantly, you may want to consider recertifying your IDR plan before your scheduled recertification date. If you recertify now, your monthly payments will resume at the new amount after the payment suspension ends on Dec. 31, 2020.

    THEN it states:

    The deadline to recertify your IDR plan has been extended for at least 12 months. This means, for example, if you were scheduled to recertify on Dec. 1, 2020, you are not required to recertify until Dec. 1, 2021. Your loan servicer will remind you to recertify 60–90 days before your recertification date.

    Discussion question:

    1. Is the best strategy here to not recertify your loans unless you have a significant DECREASE in income for an additional 12 months to maintain the monthly payments the same? This will also allow the outcome of the election and subsequent aid to be discovered by Dec 2021.
    submitted by /u/shortyshock
    [link] [comments]

    *Canadian OSAP* Help! How to postpone OSAP loan debt if I want to pause school?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 03:34 PM PDT

    Speaking on behalf of my partner. My partner has been struggling with mental illness for almost her entire life. She wants to pause school until she gets her health in check but according to her, She mentions she'll have to pay back her entire OSAP loan once she leaves and there is a chance she won't be granted OSAP again if she decides to go back? *im not familiar with how OSAP works, pls correct me if I'm wrong * also, she has already taken a pause from school last year, and she mentioned something about being on OSAP probation. She is currently enrolled in three classes and the only reason she decided to take her courses is because she fears she'll be in trouble with OSAP, she is unable to pay all her OSAP loan in one go, additionally , she has already tried contacting her financial aid office at school and they helped her with nothing. She needs some answers on how she can postpone her loans, will she be able to get OSAP again if she goes back? Any tips would help. Thank you for reading this.

    submitted by /u/queencom
    [link] [comments]

    Sallie Mae has changed up their customer service methods

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 06:08 AM PDT

    I enrolled in a rate reduction program in 2016, then re-enrolled in 2018. It lasts two years, so I just got a notification that it was expiring again. When I called in, my experience was VASTLY different than the 40+ calls I have made in prior years. They are so much nicer and much much more knowledgeable. I barely wanted to physically fight any of them. Anyone else seen a progression in their methods?

    submitted by /u/jayelldub
    [link] [comments]

    Credit score and rates (private student loans)

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 07:08 AM PDT

    I'm trying to understand how private student loan lenders determine your rate.

    I am currently shopping for a loan to cover what my federal loans won't, and I'm running into 2 issues: first, it looks like a bunch of lenders don't work with my school (it's private, I'm thinking that's the reason); second, I've gotten quotes with astronomical interest rates. These rates, about 12% fixed and 10.5% variable, come despite me having a 790 credit score and my cosigner being in the 800s; plus both of us having worked for our current employers for 3+ years. When I applied without a cosigner I didn't even qualify.

    It is my first time applying for private student loans, this may be totally normal but I find it difficult to believe. If it is, please let me know! If you know of any other variables that affect the rate you get I'd like to learn about that too.

    I find it hard to wrap my mind around it, specially if young adults with little credit history and maybe no good income are getting these loans to pay for school all the time (I'm 30 and seeking an undergraduate degree - my first degree was free in a foreign country, but not very profitable)

    Thank you guys! Any info helps!

    submitted by /u/la_alex
    [link] [comments]

    Parents co-signed loans but can we all refinance on them?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 12:48 PM PDT

    I spent some time in the search engine trying to find the answer to my question but I'm still a little bit confused. I went to college 10 years ago for engineering. I now have 100k in student loan debt with an interest rate of 11% through Wells Fargo. My parents cosigned on my loans. My credit score isn't high enough to refinance (albeit it isn't awful 660-699). If my parents co-signed on the loans and they have a better credit score than me, can they refinance the loans for me?

    submitted by /u/Morpheus987
    [link] [comments]

    Continue with Sallie Mae or move over to SoFi

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 08:18 AM PDT

    So my situation goes like this:

    -8 different student loans in Sallie Mae totaling in 140k

    -Interest rate on all of them range from 9%-10%

    -I make 73k yearly before taxes but take home 951 after taxes/401k. My credit is good though (740s).

    -I spend around 2.8k a month on rent/car/insurance/monthly stuff.

    -I just recently got a job, my regular monthly payment would be 1,600+ but I'm supposed pay 770 a month (for now) and its only going towards the interest (I have to check this to make sure since this month would be my 1st payment).

    Now if I take out a 140k loan with Sofi, their options are:

    10 years - 1,492 a month / 4.858% interest rate

    15 years - 1,118.67 a month / 4.908% interest rate

    20 years - 940.57 a month / 4.964% interest rate

    Stay with Sallie Mae or switch over?

    submitted by /u/HPPresidentz
    [link] [comments]

    Pay Off Perkins or Stafford Direct

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 05:06 AM PDT

    I have 3 loans that I took out for grad school:

    1. Direct loan serviced by Navient, current balance $16,500 @ 5.0%
    2. Direct loan serviced by Navient,current balance $17,500 @ 5.5%
    3. Perkins loan owned by University, current balance $11,100 @ 5.0%

    I have been making my regular payments though autopay during Covid. I have the ability to pay off the balance of Perkins loan in one payment but I am torn. I am familiar with the avalanche method and while paying a huge chunk of the 5.5% direct loan makes sense, it is currently at 0% interest with chance of extension. Thoughts...

    submitted by /u/Kayuga411
    [link] [comments]

    US student loan direct debit question

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 05:32 AM PDT

    Hello all, US citizen living in the UK. I'm wondering if anyone knows whether I can set up a direct debit to make my monthly payments from a UK bank account? My loans are serviced through Mohela. Thanks in advance! 😊

    submitted by /u/fingergunsgirl
    [link] [comments]

    9K of school debt should I save up and pay off a hefty amount at the end of the year or should I pay a small amount monthly and pay a larger sum at the end of the year?

    Posted: 09 Oct 2020 07:08 AM PDT

    Hello,

    As the title says, I have around 9K of subsidized loans. I finished school in January 2020. I was going to try and pay off my loans in that 6 month grace period after graduating that they give you but due to my dad having been laid off the year before and me not having a super great paying job/internship after graduating....I was holding on to what I could in case of emergencies.

    In the late summer/august both me and my dad got better paying jobs. I'm now making around 3.6K a month after taxes and insurance/retirement stuff taken out of my paycheck.

    Anyways, due to covid mandates, no interest is accruing on any of my loans until the end of December so I still only owe 9K so far.

    I'm wondering if the best thing to do is just pay a hefty amount of it at the end of the year or pay a small amount monthly and an additional larger amount at the end of the year?

    I spend around $500-$800 monthly on other bills, eating out, supporting my sister ect. I live at home with my parents (I just pay internet, family phone bill, Netflix, and my sisters electricity bill for the house shes staying at for college). Living with my parents will likely be true until I get married or until I just get sick of it but there's really no reason to move out right now and they appreciate me being home for my younger brother and to take care of those bills.

    I'll have a bit more than $12K at the end of the month saved up. This is the most money I've ever had and it's tough to part with it since I've always been low income but I know the sooner I pay my loans off the more I can start saving.

    I have no other debts or own any credit cards.

    Thank you for your feedback!

    submitted by /u/kristaruuu
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment