• Breaking News

    Friday, October 2, 2020

    Paid doctors office up front with HSA account for cash price, months later they charged my insurance and the charge should have been even less. Can I ask for refund? Insurance

    Paid doctors office up front with HSA account for cash price, months later they charged my insurance and the charge should have been even less. Can I ask for refund? Insurance


    Paid doctors office up front with HSA account for cash price, months later they charged my insurance and the charge should have been even less. Can I ask for refund?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 02:16 PM PDT

    This is in California.

    So a while back I went to the doctors to get an exam done. I knew this exam was very expensive and at the time my insurance advised they would not cover it because it was not preventative care.

    I worked with the doctors office and after they helped me calculate the insurance price, they gave me, what I thought was a significant discount. I paid the fee using my HSA account.

    A month or two passed and then I received a bill indicating that I owed money. I called the office and the clerk realized the error and advised she will update the account to paid in full. I called the telephone helpline a few weeks and verified that it was.

    Another month passes, and I am now notified via email from my HSA account that a claim was pushed to my account. It was for the same procedure and it turns out that after the insurance discount, I would have saved a couple hundred if I had initially gone through my insurances. My account though in the doctor's office says it was paid in full, but:

    1. I'm confused why they still went through my insurance even though I already paid in full at time of my appointment (back in July)
    2. Now that I know I would have saved money, can I ask the office to refund me the difference?

    [Update]

    For clarity, prior to my exam I had contacted the doctors office and requested the CPT codes they would bill my insurance. I had contacted the insurance rep, and the rep told me what the rates would look like. So prior to my doctor's visit, I had an idea that the total cost of the exam going through my high deductible PPO would cost over $1000. So when i talked to the doctor's office, they told me what their cash price would be so I opted to pay up front.

    Now that they billed my insurance, I see I could have saved money. I left a message to the billing department at the doctor's office. I talked to someone who works in medical billing and found out that they will need to issue a refund for overpayment since I have an EOB. If they had not billed my insurance as previously discussed at the time of the appointment, we would have all been happy. But now that I know this, I want my money back. If it was an insignificant amount, I would have been okay, but this is a couple of hundred here at stake.

    Thank you all for your help!

    submitted by /u/CornCheeese
    [link] [comments]

    Can my insurance company find the other at-fault driver with their plate information?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 03:25 PM PDT

    I'm in Wisconsin. A neighbor thankfully wrote down the license plate of the person who backed into my unoccupied & parked vehicle (causing $1,835 in damages). I only have the plate information. Will this be helpful to my car insurance company, Progressive? I called my local police and they said they can't and won't do anything. Also contacted Wisconsin's Department of Transportation and tried to do a crash report online, but the system wouldn't let me submit it without more personal information of the other driver. Ugh. Just don't want to pay my $500 deductible if I don't have to!!

    submitted by /u/Psychnerd12
    [link] [comments]

    Bought a BMW only to get it hit an hour later!! Help

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 01:13 AM PDT

    Hello everyone reading this (whose willing to help) I just bought a BMW 428i grand coupe for 15k (not including interest it will generate) after taxes out the door only to drive into a chick fil a where an employee was backing out and proceeded to hit my new (old) car :(

    The damage is a bit on the minimal side, bumper, quarter panel, my wheel has scufs scratches and one significant dent.

    I went ahead and called her insurance made a claim but I'm still not satisfied!!

    What should I do??

    1. I'm super upset that it was valued at 15k after taxes so I financed it and now the damage will be reported on carfax thus resulting in depreciation!! How do I get this right?

    2. I'm going to take it to a bmw collision center to get it quoted, so I have insight when the insurance agent comes. Ill have the price to fix it but how do I got about depreciation??

    3. Do I have to get it fixed or would they be able to write me a check? I would honestly rather put that money into the vehicle at this point and fix it myself / stay w the scuffs And less debt/interest payments as my apr is high!!

    Thank you in advance

    submitted by /u/Ricosuavebmw
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about insuring a Mobile Barbershop �� in Texas

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 11:25 PM PDT

    We bought a pull behind RV specifically a toy hauler and renovated it into a barbershop. We removed the kitchen sink and stove and replace it with a shampoo bowl and chair. We bought an antique barber chair and installed it in there. We removed the couch. According to Geico it does not qualify as a RV for insurance because we removed the sink and stove and we will be running a business out of it. It does not qualify for commercial insurance because it is an RV. HELP!!! We want to get this out on the road on Monday. Any ideas on who to contact for insurance and what I should ask for?

    submitted by /u/theprissymiss
    [link] [comments]

    Water Damage Claim

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 11:23 PM PDT

    Hello, my business was involved in a water accident from the unit next door and I'm currently going through a claim with the insurance company. I've had 2 contractors provide quotes on what it would cost to repair the damages. Both quotes have been forwarded to the insurance company. I have a call with an insurance agent tomorrow where we'll discuss a settlement. Are there any specific do's and don'ts you guys recommend? Would it be a good idea to hire a claims adjuster to negotiate for me since I don't have any experience or knowledge dealing with things like this? Thanks so much!

    submitted by /u/StockDC2
    [link] [comments]

    How to verify coverage

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 06:39 PM PDT

    I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. My understanding is that you should verify that a medical supply is covered and if it is in or out of network before receiving the supply or service. I've done this with every past insurance company.

    I'm pretty well versed in navigating medical insurance and DME specifically. I've never run into this:

    We have new insurance after a job change. It's almost time to order insulin pump supplies. I did my usual and called to inquire 1) are these supplies covered? And 2) What is in network.

    I was referred to the PBM who said there is no coverage for any pump supplies. That can't be right because I wouldn't take coverage that covers none at all. Called insurance again and was referred to a third party who handles all DME.

    Called them to be told "yes it's covered" after only giving my name and no insurance details. I asked of it's in network and they told me that I have to place the order and billing will determine that. I'm not willing to place the order unless it's in network.

    Back to insurance who just refers me back to third party and they insist that they handle nothing about DME.

    So, my insurance cannot tell me 1) if the specific supplies are covered and 2) where is in network. Neither can the PBM or the DME supplier.

    Who can?

    submitted by /u/IH8ChoosingUsername
    [link] [comments]

    Brother lied to insurance. Come clean?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 06:06 PM PDT

    Throwaway for obvious reasons

    Location: VA

    So basically, my brother was involved in a rear-end accident where there was zero damage done to the other vehicle (hitches, amirite?) and the driver looked at the damage and decided it wasn't worth hanging around for and drove away. Well, idiot brother filed a claim saying he was backed into by a random driver (while his was parked) and is now going through the investigation ordeal as if it were a hit and run. Naturally, he's scared shitless and wants to come clean. What are his options? I want him to tell the truth, but I also don't want him to get in trouble for fraud. I'm pretty sure it'll end up coming out eventually in the investigation (that his car was moving, not parked) and I don't know whether it's better for him to double down or come clean early. No police were involved and no police report made. I'm worried admission of a lie could get him into trouble. Help? I'm willing to update if there are questions regarding what happened.

    submitted by /u/throwawaytrash753
    [link] [comments]

    Changed jobs this week but wife has a doctor appointment tomorrow. Options?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 09:42 PM PDT

    So I am very un-knowledgable when it comes to this stuff. So I apologize if I my question is bad or worded wrong or anything.

    So I had quit my job on Tuesday and just started a new job today (Thursday), my benefits at my new job will not start until January 1st at this point. My wife needs blood pressure medicine and she had an appointment already set up for tomorrow to talk to her doctor but I don't believe we're covered any longer. Is there any options or suggestions on what we can do? I've found reference to Cobra, but I don't really know how to see how much that would cost me, but I've only found information about it being expensive.

    submitted by /u/White_Eevee
    [link] [comments]

    Elected COBRA dental coverage since it was on the form that my employer gave me. They were to pay COBRA medical insurance premiums through September 30th. Because it was on the COBRA form I assumed dental was included but apparently not. The HR director just emailed me to request me to pay.

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 05:34 AM PDT

    August and September premiums are due just for the dental (they covered the medical). My question is since I didn't fully understand that I was responsible for the dental premium, and they just told me I owed it and did not request it when I signed up in July, is there a way I can retroactively cancel this portion since I did not use it?

    New York state.

    submitted by /u/Comicalacimoc
    [link] [comments]

    What is a copay, and why do I need to pay one?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 09:20 PM PDT

    So, I'm (21F) visiting the dentist tomorrow after purchasing dental insurance for the first time! I received a message from the office today stating they estimate I will owe a copay of $71.80 tomorrow. I understand the principle of a copay (a set amount the subscriber pays for services, i.e. a dentist visit), but I am unsure of why I owe one in this case. My insurance plan has an annual deductible of $50, and preventative services (which is what I am going in for tomorrow) are covered 100%. Why would I owe a copay in this situation?

    I'm super perplexed about this. I have been financially independent and in control of my finances and insurance since I was 18, and I've never owed a copay for anything until now. I would appreciate any help. The internet is giving me the same vague definition of a copay and offers little insight about my particular situation. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/meem_queen
    [link] [comments]

    Would upgrading items cause me to lose the depreciation? Homeowners with Allstate

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 09:12 PM PDT

    I'm going to try to be as clear as possible. Clarity is not my forte so please forgive me. I have a hurricane claim with Allstate homeowners. Let's say I want to upgrade my 3 tab shingles to architectural shingles. Architectural shingles will cost more. I will be covering the price difference out of pocket. If I upgrade to the architectural shingles will I lose the depreciation for the 3 tab shingles since it's not like and kind? Or will I still receive the depreciation since repairs were completed better than like and kind?

    Louisiana

    submitted by /u/Ashnicmo
    [link] [comments]

    Car insurance mixed up and insured the wrong car! Is there any way I can get my money back?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 09:10 PM PDT

    Hi, I'm 22 and literally just passed my driving test about 2 weeks ago. I also live in the UK and know NOONE who knows about Insurance or anything financial

    So, a few months ago, I was looking at getting a car (Car B) bacause my current car (Car A) is very pricey in terms of insurance and repairs. During this time I rang the insurance company for a quote on how much it would be to insure Car B once I'd passed. We ended up not getting the car and left it at that.

    Now, my mom rang the insurance company a few days ago to insure myself on Car A (it was just my mom on it before) and they made me pay around £700 to get insured. At the time, I found it fishy that I was paying so much when it was due for a renewal in a few months but I figured it was because its an Audi and that I was a new driver. I left it at that (BIG mistake on my part).

    Now today, I get back from work to find out they charged me for Car B and NOT Car A so essentially I've paid for a car i dont own and I've been driving unlicensed. My mom's been on the phone with them all day to get refunded however they are refusing. As of now, we are waiting for them to get back in touch after they listen to the call logs between us and whoever we spoke to.

    Is there any way I can get my money back In case asking doesn't work? It was taken out via direct debit over the phone and the payment left my account yesterday.

    Edit 1 - they refuse to refund it and if I move the insurance payment to Car A they want me to pay another £500 to balance it out and then another £1000 (normal insurance payment) this December to renew it.

    submitted by /u/Apex_121
    [link] [comments]

    2020 Suburban diminished value after deer strike

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 02:47 PM PDT

    I hit a deer about a week after we bought our suburban in February 2020 causing 25k damage. Chevy dealer did a nice job with the repairs so I didn't think there would be any issues when we traded. Call this week to trade for a 2021 and they hit me with a $12500 deduction due to the repairs. Which i get completely and I even asked my insurance about this before they repaired it but was told it won't be an issue. My argument is that if my insurance has to make me whole after a loss I wasn't made whole. I don't have the same equity in the vehicle now as I did prior to the deer strike. Do I have any recourse ? I'm in Minnesota

    submitted by /u/yamahaspeed1001
    [link] [comments]

    Rates under California Low Cost Auto

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 08:34 PM PDT

    I didn't see much in the way of discussion when I used the search bar, so I hope this isn't a dumb question.

    I have CLCA. If a claim is filed against my insurance, what sort of rate increase can I expect? I don't know if having insurance through CLCA protects me from rate hikes to some extent or if I'm subject to regular increases like anybody else.

    submitted by /u/Aevio11
    [link] [comments]

    Would I qualify for a reinbursement for mental health services? Los Angeles County

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 08:11 PM PDT

    Posted from Los Angeles County, CA.

    I have Blue shield of California and my insurance plan is silver 87 PPO. I recently started taking up psychotherapy recently and my therapist sent me a superbill receipt for me to send to my insurance because she's an out-of-network provider. I'm new to doing all this and plan on submitting my bill online.

    submitted by /u/dimsumprincess
    [link] [comments]

    Life & Health Exam

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 07:17 PM PDT

    I have my Life & Health exam tomorrow and am freaking out! I passed the P&C last week after a week long course & took the same class for Life & Health this week, but just don't feel like the info is sticking as much. Any advice (or good thoughts) are welcome! TIA!

    submitted by /u/rosesnwine
    [link] [comments]

    Non-permitted wood stove- coverage impacted?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 07:06 PM PDT

    A few months ago I acquired a wood stove but did not have the money to install it. The stove is a 2019 and after May apparently last year's model now cannot be permitted per the EPA. It seems frustrating to have the investment of the stove thrown out because I'm 4 months late on an install (covid employment uncertainty) and I have a contractor who can install it to code Installation would not come with pulling the required permit in this case however. I might try for remediation in the future.

    I called our insurance agency and inquired if they have any issues with stoves that don't meet the EPA guidelines. I also asked what was required to be insured. They mentioned a additional policy fee, were not concerned about the EPA issue, and said they would send out someone to ensure correct installation and take pictures. I have no plans to have a fire or sell the property so I'd like to proceed with the work. In the unlikely event of a fire with a properly installed stove, do I have any reason to doubt the insurance agent's claim I'd be insured based on what they said they are checking for?

    A few facts:

    1. I'm in Michigan, rural setting so I don't anticipate a nosey local government (separate issue), but that is the state for any law that might impact it specifically.
    2. There contractor is trusted and experienced, I have no concern with his ability to correctly install the stove.
    3. I'm only really concerned with the insurance protection- the other issues with this are not a concern right now. They say I'm covered if they are satisfied with installation and pictures. Should I trust them? Do I need to ask anything else?
    submitted by /u/Morduru
    [link] [comments]

    What to discuss in Coffee Chat w/ Hiring Manager?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 07:06 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I have a coffee chat in the next week with a hiring manager for an Underwriting position. What should I say/discuss about to impress them?

    Background: Graduating undergrad in December w/ degree in Finance, looking to start a career in the insurance industry w/ an Underwriting Trainee/Assistant/Associate type role.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/beastofbang
    [link] [comments]

    How to Establish Diminished Value on an Uncommon Car

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 12:32 PM PDT

    Hello all,

    I was involved in an accident where I was deemed not at fault. My car was not totaled but repair costs are 11k. My car is a Porsche Cayman with a value of 18-20k. I want to file a diminished value claim when repairs are done but I am having trouble finding comps due to the car not being common. Currently, there are 19 total listings nationwide of comparable Caymans (2007-08 base) on Cargururs. None have been in an accident.

    My question is, how can I prove diminished value to the insurance with a car that is not as common. Is it best to file a DV through my insurance or approach the at fault party's insurance about this? Do I have to hire a professional to assess DV in my case?

    Thanks for reading.

    submitted by /u/DVTAway
    [link] [comments]

    USAA vs Progressive

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 12:32 PM PDT

    I have been with USAA for auto and home insurance for roughly 15 years, the cost has always seemed better or comparable to their competitors when I've gotten quotes for comparison.

    Until today.

    My wife started a new job recently and we were invited to get a "discount" on our insurance by calling some broker they work with... I'm skeptical because we got the same kind of offer when I started my job and the quote was thousands more than what we pay.

    Before calling I decided to get a "baseline" quote from Progressive for our auto insurance and compare it to our coverage with USAA. I was shocked. For the same coverage, Progressive was over $550 less for a six-month premium (roughly 40% less). When I compared our homeowners' insurance to Progressive they were about $100 less per year, but by bundling the home and auto they'd actually be $200 less per year. So altogether we would be saving $1400/year if we switch to Progressive from USAA. Which seems crazy to me.

    We had a pretty major claim (over $20k) with USAA last year that they covered without any issue, that is really the only reason I could see to stick with them... but that was also the first time we've ever had an insurance claim on our homeowners' insurance. I disclosed the claim when getting a quote from Progressive so I don't think there would be any reason for our quote to change.

    Is there any reason for me not to switch to Progressive? I've mocked their commercials for years because I always felt like a company that spends that much on advertising can't possibly be spending much on claims... but maybe I was wrong?

    I am in South Carolina, USA

    submitted by /u/LS-CRX
    [link] [comments]

    Cyber liability / Tech E&O Community?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 12:18 PM PDT

    Hey Insurance Team!

    Got a quick question for you. I am an entrepreneur and want to get more connected to the Cyber insurance / Tech E&O community. Specifically Agents, Brokers, and Underwriters. Do you know any forums/Blogs/Discords/etc industry folks gather to discuss this topic?

    Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/Tasigurl_
    [link] [comments]

    Wondering if it’s even worth it for me to get marketplace insurance for the rest of 2020 and just get short term insurance until Jan 2021?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 03:23 PM PDT

    I age out of my moms plan in October so I have no health insurance stating nov 1. And the way that the healthcare marketplace is set up, and my situation. My health insurance probably won't have my termination letter until after oct 31 and they said it takes 14 days to process in the system (for marketplace )

    So I will be 2 weeks without insurance in November. The thing is I really don't need insurance that badly knock on wood. I don't have pre existing conditions ? I don't think? If I'm really careful and I don't do anything to make myself get corona virus I will be fine I think. I do need some medications. I think I can do without marketplace insurance until Jan 2021.

    Open enrollment for marketplace is nov 2020 so I'll be def signing up for that but idk what to do about the two months I possibly won't have insurance.

    submitted by /u/readyheartsx
    [link] [comments]

    Cat insurance help .

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 02:34 PM PDT

    For context, im 20, from Canada, had license for 2 years, no accidents, bought a brand new car very recently. Old beater up and died on me but before then, I was paying 930 yearly for it. Now, they want me to pay minimum 2200, at any given insurance agency.

    Now, my girlfriend has her own insurance, it's cheaper to join hers, which we're in the process of now. I worry too much about money, does anyone know how much cheaper it is to join another person's policy? Vs my own at 2200. She pays 125 monthly. Thanks

    submitted by /u/MoistKite1
    [link] [comments]

    Nosy insurance company keeps hassling us

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 01:57 PM PDT

    TL;DR at bottom of post

    Location: Florida

    My husband and I purchased our first home in August, and we've already gotten several strange requests from our insurance company via our local independent insurance agent. The house is typical for the area and is in good condition -- concrete block construction from the 1970s on a concrete slab with a brand new metal roof. Inspection went well, there was nothing major noted on either the full inspection report or the four point inspection. We only sent the 4-point to the insurance company along with a wind mitigation report to qualify for a small discount. The insurance company sells us a policy without further question and didn't note any repairs that needed to be done.

    Fast forward to two weeks ago: our insurance agent asks us if we have fixed a broken window noted on the inspection report. We are confused since we never provided them with the report that notes the window (we checked all of our emails and contacted our inspector just be sure), plus you can't see this window from the street, you would have to be inside of the fenced backyard to see it. There is indeed one window that is cracked, but it is a double-paned window and only the inner pane is cracked so there is no water coming in or other damage being done to the house. This repair was on the to-do list anyway, so we called a local window repair company and are waiting for the glass to be ordered.

    Just today we get another email asking again about the window, plus additional questions about our flooring, whether or not we've finished replacing the flooring, and if we could send photos of every room in the house to show that the flooring has been replaced and the house is occupied. Now we are really confused -- nothing we have sent them even mentions the flooring. We are indeed replacing the flooring, but that's just because it's old and we wanted something that looks nicer, which doesn't seem like it should have any bearing on our insurance. We did have some flooring material sitting in the front yard for a few weeks while we were working on it, so I suppose they could have driven by and seen it.

    What is going on here? Why are they asking for these things that seemingly have little/nothing to do with our insurance policy? Should we comply with their requests or just switch to a new company? We have been trying unsuccessfully to get ahold of our insurance agent, she hasn't yet returned voicemails or emails, but it has only been a day so she may yet get back to us.

    TL;DR: Bought a house two months ago, no major issues noted on inspection report. Insurance company keeps asking for updates on small things -- cracked window pane and new flooring, wants us to send them pictures of every room in the house. What is going on and what should we do?

    submitted by /u/swampyhiker
    [link] [comments]

    Car totaled

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 01:47 PM PDT

    I was made aware that my car was hit while parked yesterday. I'm currently out of the United States and my car is uninsured. Does the other person insurance pay me out?

    submitted by /u/Papichulo17
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment