• Breaking News

    Thursday, October 1, 2020

    Legal Advice Our town changed our address two weeks ago without notifying us or the owners, and this also affects our ballots as we found out through our county elections office. Is this even legal?

    Legal Advice Our town changed our address two weeks ago without notifying us or the owners, and this also affects our ballots as we found out through our county elections office. Is this even legal?


    Our town changed our address two weeks ago without notifying us or the owners, and this also affects our ballots as we found out through our county elections office. Is this even legal?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 03:59 AM PDT

    We live in a small Colorado mountain town that is extremely Republican. My husband and I are registered as Unaffiliated. When I checked our voter status a couple weeks back, I saw I wasn't registered anymore. I submitted a new registration and then the shit hit the fan. I got calls from the county clerk and recorder, and the county elections office, notifying us that the town changed our address street name to something else a couple weeks ago and they had to update our ballots to reflect that. The thing is, this new address they assigned to this property belongs to a completely different house. I contacted my landlords and they are furious because they were never notified. This house is also a historical property. Is it legal for them to do this? Especially in an election year, barely a month before we are supposed to get our absentee ballots. I'm extremely concerned our ballots won't be counted. I'm also concerned this will affect the historical status of the property because we are also planning to purchase it in the near future. My landlords are heading to town hall in the morning to talk to the town manager. I will update as soon as I hear back from them. These people that are on the board are also known to be crooked af. Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/JaxDrina
    [link] [comments]

    Found an illegal drainage pipe for the neighbors rain water on my property in GA. I capped it off and now my the house next to my neighbors house has a lot of standing water in their yard. Am I liable?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 08:35 AM PDT

    Found an illegal drainage pipe for the neighbors rain water entirely on my property. There are no easements or access agreements for it. It was severely washing away my land, so when I cleared my lot I capped the pipe off and covered it with dirt as part of grading/leveling the land to fix the washed out areas. Capping off my pipe has caused my neighbors neighbors yard to flood because there is another illegal pipe diverting rainwater into that neighbors yard. Am I at all liable for the flooded yards?

    To be clear because I know this is a weird situation,

    1) It is illegal where I live for a neighbor to divert their rain water onto another neighbors land

    2) My neighbor diverted all of their water through two pipes, one that went into my yard that I capped off, and one that goes into their neighbor on the other side.

    3) There is a huge drainage ditch that runs across my rain and behind the neighbors house that they should have diverted their pipes to. I have no idea why they didn't.

    4) There are no easements or access agreements for this pipe. I checked the deed and the plat map. The end of the pipe is very much on my property. I had a survey done.

    5) The pipe was hidden and not at all visible until I started clearing the lot. It was heavily wooded. Once I cleared the lot and saw how bad the wash out was, I did some investigating and found the pipe hidden with rocks and bushes. The rocks and bushes were on my land so I removed them before capping off the pipe.

    6) I bought this property less than a year ago. The pipe was probably there for several years before I bought the land. I spoke to the previous owners, the only other owners besides me, and they never gave permission for the pipe or even knew it was there.

    submitted by /u/_recentlyghosted
    [link] [comments]

    My Landlord cheated on his wife, got kicked out and is asking for the house back.

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 11:11 AM PDT

    My partner and I recently moved into a house in a small town in Maine, we have a year lease with no early termination or eviction clauses. Our landlord came by (unannounced) a week into our lease to tell us he had moved into temporary housing on the lot next door because he had cheated on his wife and was in the doghouse. During this frankly odd conversation he mentioned offhandedly that he planned to take the house back from us, if his wife did not take him back by thanksgiving. In subsequent weeks he has come by to update us about his relationship progress and reiterate that he will be asking us to leave if his situation doesn't change. We haven't been given any formal notice but his persistence in visiting/stating that he's looking to have us leave has us worried. Is it legal for him to evict us? If anyone is interested I've documented moments in which I feel he has breeched the contract we signed and the law in general i.e asking us to disclose if we are transgender and other intrusive lines of questioning. I kept it short for the sake of clarity, feel free to dm for more detail if needed.

    submitted by /u/Salty_Scupper
    [link] [comments]

    My yard floods since new community was built (florida)

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 02:53 AM PDT

    First time posting. Please excuse any mistakes.

    My parents have lived in their house for the over 20 years and never had any problems. About a year ago the county (miami dade) approved plans for a developer to build a new community (7 houses) on the land behind my parents house. That land has always been lower than the land my parents house sits on. Apparently as part of the land development, the ground was raised about 2 to 3 feet. We thought this would be a problem so my dad went to see a lawyer. Said lawyer told my dad that If the county approved the construction theres nothing he could do. Ever since the construction, their yard floods and they cant enjoy it. They also got to rush and move their animals when the flooding starts. I very much appreciate any advice. The situation has reached a critical level since the ground is already saturated and we are expecting about 7 inches of rain this weekend.

    submitted by /u/ymrtn7
    [link] [comments]

    New neighbor just moved in and is trying to put a fence in front of a public water access keep neighbors out

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 01:59 PM PDT

    Hi all, my parents are dealing with this situation now; and its pretty frustrating for them. So this New York lawyer just moved down to a waterfront home in their small town in North Carolina. At first it seemed like things would be fine; but shortly after he moved in he took it upon himself to contract some people to put up a tall privacy fence in front of the public road end that goes to the river. It's been public land for 30+ years and people in that neighborhood have always enjoyed walking down and visiting the water from time to time.

    The guy is painting the situation like he's the victim, stating that he needs the fence to protect himself and his wife from stalkers, perverts, etc. He seems to think that its well within his right to do what he's doing, and we're not sure what we can do to fight it. Like I said he's a lawyer so he's got the power to take it to trial at little cost to himself, and much cost and stress to the the people of the neighborhood.

    Is there anything that should be done to keep this from happening? The neighborhood has already gone to the county council and talked but they weren't trying to get involved (the guy in question may have some major connections to powerful people, which doesn't help)

    submitted by /u/OBLIVIATER
    [link] [comments]

    Delusional family member donating thousands of dollars. How the hell do I stop this?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 02:06 PM PDT

    This is happening in Maryland, although I am located in another state.

    A family member is suffering from a delusional disorder. She refuses help/treatment and insists nothing is wrong. All I've been able to do is get an exam at her GP and an MRI to rule out any physical issues. There is apparently no physical cause for her delusions.

    The delusions are limited to one specific area of her life - she believes that she is in a relationship with a particular gentleman (the relationship is entirely imagined; he is happily married) and she believes that he communicates with her via secret messages on a local radio station.

    I've just discovered that over the past year, my family member has sent over $3k in donations to this radio station and plans on sending more. This is not the first time she has spent a rather large sum on something related to her delusions, but after the first time she had promised me that she would tell me if she wanted to spend any more money on this. Apparently that didn't work.

    She refuses to see a psychiatrist or even a therapist - how the hell do I get some control over this situation? This person is in complete control of the finances of another elderly family member, and I'm terrified she's going to begin siphoning off some of that money for "donations" or God knows what else.

    I'm aware of the possibility of conservatorship - the issue is that in all other aspects of her life, she is completely normal and functional. Anyone speaking to her would have no idea she was mentally ill unless the topic of this man or the radio station came up, and she is careful not to talk about it because she realizes other people think it's crazy.

    Is there anything I can realistically do? Should I call the trustee at the bank who handles my elderly family member's finances and express my concerns that some of that money may be mishandled? Should I apply for a conservatorship? Are there other options I'm not aware of? Thanks so much for any help.

    submitted by /u/erotomaniahelp
    [link] [comments]

    [CA] Accidentally formed a Corporation instead of an LLC somehow? Is there any way for me to convert to an LLC?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 10:53 AM PDT

    I don't even know what stupid box I checked but I've just realized that I formed a corporation instead of a one person LLC. How in God's name do I turn it into an LLC and is it possible to avoid the wrath of the Tax Gods?

    submitted by /u/mr_chub
    [link] [comments]

    Ultrasonic animal deterrent installed facing sidewalk.

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 01:30 PM PDT

    So on the route I usually use to walk my dog some people installed this device in their lawn that forces me to go on the opposite side of the road and even duck behind trees for cover. It's pointed directly at public property and is incredibly loud and high pitched. Is there any way I can get it removed by filing a noise compliant or something like that? I'm a teenager so no time consuming/expensive options please. Thanks.

    Edit: I live in Maryland around Rocksville/Potomac

    submitted by /u/azqwa
    [link] [comments]

    [USA, CA] Filed a wage claim, Employer terminated me after finding out.

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 01:00 AM PDT

    Is this considered retaliation?

    1 month ago, I worked my first and last day as a server. Employer texted me stating no hours/shifts will be given and without return date after my first shift. I am considered discharged from work without him officially saying it. I texted my employer over the next 2 weeks asking about my paycheck. No response. 2 weeks in, We had conversation over call and he told me "I'm shopping, I'll think about it". I filed a wage claim afterwards.

    +30 days later, I am asked to get my paycheck. He is livid over the wage claim after finding out and tries to settle for less. I tell him I will pursue the full amount. Nothing less. He agrees to write a check paying in full. I come in, get it, and if I can withdraw the wage claim on the spot + sign a general release and separation form stating I acknowledged I am OFFICIALLY terminated today. I refuse to sign but acknowledge his decision to terminate me and walk out the door. He text me as I'm driving home stating he will void the check.

    He keeps texting and calling me asking to feel empathy, pity, and end his stress. I've ignored it and will let DLSE pursue a resolution on my behalf.

    EDIT: Based on the replies, I am going to let DLSE continue handling the wage claim. I will file a police report for check fraud. And lastly, I will file a work retaliation against my former employer.

    submitted by /u/BlackPenis
    [link] [comments]

    Some kids online threatened to swat me and said my address

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 12:45 AM PDT

    Some kids online said my name, address and parents name.

    Said I had to give them money or I would get swatted and my address leaked.

    I have the voice call recorded. (Was over discord).

    And I have their names and the states they live in.

    But, I'm wondering will anything be done to actually find the kids if they actually swat me? They live in Colorado and new York. I only have their first and last names.

    Or will I be unable to press charges against them and file a police complaint?

    submitted by /u/BillCosbysDaddy69
    [link] [comments]

    Subpoena Notice from Google. What is this?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 11:45 AM PDT

    Hello, as the title says I received an e-mail from Google about a subpoena (I am from Romania), I have no idea what this is and what I should do, it's the first time I see anything like this. I tried to search for some information and saw that more people received similar e-mail but I couldn't find any advice so maybe someone around here can explain to me if I am in trouble or not. I have checked and it's not a spam e-mail.

    Screenshots of the e-mail:

    https://imgur.com/a/otiHuK0

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/skyfallhate
    [link] [comments]

    I work in a hospital that was affected by the national ransomware attack and now I am not being paid my full paycheck

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 12:32 PM PDT

    Long story short, the hospital I work for has absolutely no access to its computers after being locked out by the national Ryuk ransomware attack. Because of this, I only received half of my paycheck. I'm told the other half is missing because it was PTO (due to illness) and that PTO has to be applied manually, which can't be done without access.

    I have bills like everyone else. I'm wondering how a massive company like this can get away with straight-up just not paying its employees. Is that even legal? Can I not bring a bank statement or previous pay stubs to HR showing what my usual paycheck is and demand they pay the difference?

    Edit: I live in Nevada

    submitted by /u/buffalotatonka
    [link] [comments]

    A client has abandoned a substantial amount of product in our warehouse. What legal steps should I take before getting rid of the product?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 11:29 AM PDT

    We are small manufacturing firm in California. We have a client use our services to manufacture a product. Due to COVID-19 alternative materials were used which caused a variation in the end product. The client approved and sourced the alternative materials. They have also paid for all of the product that we manufactured for them. The client since then has stopped sale of this line and is not longer interesting in the product. That decision left us with a substantial amount of product we made for them taking up a lot of space in our already limited facility. We have tried contacting them multiple times asking them to pick up their product. At this point, they are ignoring our calls, emails, texts. We believe they are not taking their product because they no longer are selling this line and disposing of it will cost a great amount of money, as it is classified as hazardous materials (flammable). We have abandoned the Notion of them picking the product up, as we are being ghosted. So we need to get rid of it because it is taking up so much space. Our concern is that they own the product, so if we pay to dispose of it or donate it/give it away can we be liable for loosing their product.

    submitted by /u/coffeemunster
    [link] [comments]

    Pay card questions

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 12:59 PM PDT

    I work in a tip industry and my employer forced me to take a pay card to get my tips. The problem are all the fees attached, and atm limitations, that prevent me from getting all of the money I earned. Transferring from the card account to mine would also incur fees both from my bank and from the pay card.

    My googling gave a summery of a law, https://www.federalreserve.gov/boarddocs/caletters/2008/0807/08-07_attachment.pdf , from the website https://fingercheck.com/paycard-laws-federal-and-state/

    The website it states that federally forcing a pay card on an employee is illegal, but the pdf is less clear(as far as I e read). I'm presently in MO and they have no listed regulations.

    Further the corporate HR determined that team members have a choice between the card or on my paycheck. An option I was not given.

    I was "fired" for raising the legality of the issue and repeatedly saying this was unacceptable. I placed fired in quotes because no paper work was filed. Do I have a leg to stand on? Can I legitimately report them to government regulators?

    Thank you for your time

    Edit for clarity

    submitted by /u/nefexo
    [link] [comments]

    Neighbor is requesting an area variance

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 06:31 AM PDT

    I received a letter in the mail from my neighbor, two houses down(who I've never met, they are kind of shut ins), regarding his request for an area variance. He wants to add a 20ft addition to the back of his home. He currently has 50ft of setback and zoning requires at least 40ft, so the addition would require the setback to be reduced to 30ft.

    I have a good relationship with the neighbor directly next to me and they are not in favor of the addition. The other home already extends about 10-15ft further back than the footprint of their home, so the addition would push it to 30-35ft beyond the back. It would certainly "close in" the feeling of their back yard. Even from my back yard it would look strangely out of place.

    I also spoke with the neighbor on the other side of the addition home and they have addition concerns of their own. The home requesting the addition is already the largest home in our dead end development. Most houses are 2000-2500 sqft, and that home is 4500 sqft. If the addition is two stories, that adds 1600-2000 sq ft. Making it kind of stand out at 3 times the size of the rest of the homes. The owners of the home have two grown adult children who both still live at home. Their concern is that the addition is being used to create additional living quarters for their extended family to live in. The home already has a pretty high volume of cars coming and going so more people potentially living could add more.

    Lastly, the addition home currently has a very bright light on the back side of their house. I believe it was either recently installed or maybe a bulb was changed, but it shines light rather harshly across our back yards. Light That's a photo of the light and a picture of the moon(almost full). If you look at my neighbors shed you can see how bright that side of it is being lite up. I only started noticing this a few weeks ago, maybe cause it getting darker earlier? I have been meaning to go over and ask them to adjust it or something, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Now it's just bad timing if I going to contest their addition.

    We all intend to go to the town hall meeting to get more information about the addition. We just aren't sure what we have to say regarding the addition if we don't want this to be done. I feel I should also bring up if the project goes forward or not, if they can agree to keep any light pollution on their own property. Any guidance here would be appreciated.

    edit: NY state

    submitted by /u/2CatsAllDay
    [link] [comments]

    How to afford divorce while living month-to-month?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 02:06 PM PDT

    I'm a 43M professional living paycheck to paycheck. My verbally abusive wife has made my life very difficult since our daughter was born 4 years ago. I have tried everything I can to create a peaceful environment, but she seems very dissatisfied and angry all the time and verbally takes it out on me and our daughter. We have tried a marriage counselor, which she forced me to pay for entirely since she believes I am the one with the problem. We have tried living separately, but couldn't sustain that economically.

    I am the primary provider (approximately 75% of our income) and she is supposed to work full-time, but it's probably more like 30-hrs a week (though she bills for 40-hr weeks). She is an attorney in the state where we reside. My 13-yr old sub-compact economy car is paid for and I have about $4000 in personal cc debt. We rent a modest home and pay for child care of $1200/mo (of which I pay 75% of both).

    I cannot take this anymore, but feel trapped. I have spoken to several attorneys and they estimate a simple contentious divorce to be about $10k- and if I were to fight the unlikely battle for custody it'd be well north of $20k, which I cannot even begin to consider affording nor will I be able to afford to provide for myself and pay the estimated child support even if a way were found to divorce. I feel like I'm treading water and slipping deeper into depression and anxiety every day.

    I fear she may file divorce against me and start collecting support and I won't be able to adequately defend myself without an attorney. Her family lives out of the country and she has few friends. My family lives out of state and is not at all in a position to help financially.

    Besides sucking it up, keeping my mouth shut, doing whatever she wants and trying not to make her angry, what in the world can I do??

    submitted by /u/stuckinabox1997
    [link] [comments]

    I am being harassed by my neighbor

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 10:52 AM PDT

    (Detroit, Michigan) I've been living in my home with my family for 19 years. A new family moved in next door about 6 months ago and have proceeded to make my life miserable and it's gotten to the point where I'm considering my legal options. To make a long story short, he has his windows open at all times. Any time he here's a noise he shouts to shut the fuck up. Including if we are in our yard at 2pm on a Sat. Every time I go in the yard, he puts on children's music and turns it to the max and puts the radio in the window. Every time! I have multiple videos of him doing this. He threatened to kill me and stood at his window out of sight racking a shotgun. He sends his kid outside when I'm in the front yard to call me a "snitch bitch" because I called the cops on him for the shotgun and threat. When I park my car and walk to my house he shouts names at me and if my kids are with me, he shouts the worst ones like pussy, faggot, etc. I've taken the high road in all but one case when I told him to fuck off for playing the music when I had friends over to bring us lunch (my wife has cancer and friends bringing us meals) midday on a Sunday. He seems to want to keep escalating and I'm not sure what to do. I was hoping we could just ignore each other but I can't even go outside when he's home without dealing with this nonsense. I spoke with the police about the threats and gun and they said he has to threaten me with a visible firearm for it to be illegal. What are my options?

    submitted by /u/Thegrizzlybearzombie
    [link] [comments]

    My neighbors sent a “cease and desist” via text

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 01:23 PM PDT

    Location: California

    My roommate (F24) and I (F22) just moved in to an apartment with noisy upstairs neighbors. My roommate left them a note on their door a couple weeks ago asking them to have some consideration for the noise level (mostly loud banging and crashing, we can clearly hear their kids running and jumping). The neighbors were passive aggressive, said they would speak to their kids, but the noise has continued. We haven't said anything since the initial conversation.

    Today, moments ago, my roommate and I heard splashing hitting our balcony. Our neighbors were cleaning their balcony and while draining the cleaning liquid, it splashed all over our balcony and furniture. We verbally asked them to stop, and sent a follow up text asking that it doesn't happen again for the safety of our cats who like to lounge outside.

    The neighbors did not take this well, and are now threatening LEGAL RECOURSE for harassment, and texted us this:

    "Per advice from my attorney, please view this message as a legal cease and desist. Any breach thereof, including, without limitation, unwanted solicitation and/or visitation of our property, would subject you to restraining order and a potential civil complaint for harassment."

    There's no way they have any legal standing, but what do we do? We emailed our landlord to let them know what's going on.

    If I can figure out how to link photos I'll attach the screenshots of the conversations to give more context

    submitted by /u/Lavenderlovely98
    [link] [comments]

    FTC Refund check Taxable?

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 11:29 AM PDT

    I received a refund check from the Western Union wire fraud scam (yes I was one of those suckers) and was wondering will have to report that check amount on my tax return. I've researched what incidents would make a Class Action Lawsuit check be taxable and non taxable, but none of these situation as this in that I'm simply just getting my money back. Therefore in my view this is an indemnity to make me whole, is this correct?

    submitted by /u/silentduo
    [link] [comments]

    (NY) My dad's car was in a minor accident. Police report says he was not at fault. His insurance doesn't cover it and the other person's insurance says their client is not at fault.

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 04:46 AM PDT

    Sorry I know the title is really long, I didn't know the best way to condense it. We are currently at a loss about how to proceed in this situation. I know NY is a no-fault state, but I am not too familiar with how car insurance and damages are handled so any help is greatly appreciated.

    My dad was trying to make a turn. The other driver had his car in the parking lane and instead of waiting for my dad to complete his turn, he also tried to turn, hitting my dad's rear passenger door. My dad got his insurance information and made a police report. The police report states that he was not at fault. We tried to make a claim with my dad's insurance first and we were told that his insurance doesn't cover it and to file through the other driver's insurance for damages. We filed a claim through the other driver's insurance with the police report and photos. We were told that there were conflicting stories so they we're sticking with their client's story, putting us at fault. When we brought up the police report once again, we were told the police report was biased since the police did not witness the accident and it was based on my dad's retelling of the events. Their client had left the scene so was not able to provide his account of the events.

    Is there anything else we can do to get some compensation for the damages or do we just have to suck it up and pay out of pocket? Thank you all in advance for your help!

    submitted by /u/bunnydoodles
    [link] [comments]

    Being accused of damaging a car

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 02:06 PM PDT

    I recently moved to Boston (MA) for school and brought my car to commute as my apartment is somewhat far from campus.

    Recently, however, the individual who parks to the right of me is accusing me of hitting their car and causing scrapes. They are claiming I did it at night but sent me a picture of the damage that was clearly taken during the day, which does show some slight scraping and paint transfer. My car is very old and somewhat beat up and there are various scrapes and dents in it from the past, therefore I cannot tell if there is damage from this specific incident. Furthermore, they first contacted me 5 days after the alleged incident.

    I went to the police station to request a police report, but because I am not the one levying the accusations, they said I don't need a report.

    We have not exchanged insurance information. What should I do from here? Is it a good idea to preemptively get in touch with my insurance company?

    Also: am I justified in demanding a police report before any further exchange of information?

    submitted by /u/Zimbabwe_Slim
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment