• Breaking News

    Friday, October 2, 2020

    Financial Independence Daily FI discussion thread - October 02, 2020

    Financial Independence Daily FI discussion thread - October 02, 2020


    Daily FI discussion thread - October 02, 2020

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 01:07 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to have discussions which you don't feel warrant a new post to the sub. While the Rules for posting questions on the basics of personal finance/investing topics are relaxed a little bit here, the rules against memes/spam/self-promotion/excessive rudeness/politics still apply!

    Have a look at the FAQ for this subreddit before posting to see if your question is frequently asked.

    Since this post does tend to get busy, consider sorting the comments by "new" (instead of "best" or "top") to see the newest posts.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Weekly FI Frugal Friday thread - October 02, 2020

    Posted: 02 Oct 2020 01:08 AM PDT

    Please use this thread to discuss how amazingly cheap you are. How do you keep your costs low? How do become frugal without taking it to the extremes of frupidity? What costs have you realized could be cut from your life without pain? Use this weekly post to discuss Frugality in general. While the Rules for posting questions on the basics of personal finance/investing topics are more relaxed here, the rules against memes/spam/self-promotion/excessive rudeness/politics still apply!

    Since this post does tend to get busy, consider sorting the comments by "new" (instead of "best" or "top") to see the newest posts.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Finding happiness and purpose

    Posted: 01 Oct 2020 05:40 PM PDT

    I've come across, let's call it an arbitrage opportunity, that is currently on track to net me a consistent ~$50k/year, maybe a bit more if I can get more capital but it's not very scalable. It requires very little work each day (currently working on automating it more than I have already but school's back in session) and I'm properly hedged so I'm not exposed to much price risk. It exists because of several factors that makes it difficult for more people/companies to take advantage of. It could last for another 10 years or a few months, but it won't last forever. That being said, I expect this to be viable for at least the next 2-3 years.

    It's obvious I shouldn't look at this as income that I can rely on for the next few years, but it's given me a taste of fuck you money and in doing so, it's resurfaced a lot of worries I've had about my financial independence plans...


    Skippable context, scroll down to get to the point


    I'm currently a computer science student who is very jaded about employment and my future in general. I don't hate computer science or programming but if we're being honest, I'm only in it for the credential. I'm Canadian so having it for visa or future job purposes is compelling.

    My plan was originally to slog it out for a few years at a big tech company and then start my own company(have a few ideas atm but no particularly solid ones)/get a lower-paying job I can pour love into (have only a vague clue about what those could be)/move to South America.

    Now I've become increasingly unenthusiastic to even doing that, for several reasons:

    • I can't seem to get many interviews despite having a better (albeit somewhat unique) resume. I've had it reviewed by a tech recruiter, friends, compared it to ones people have posted online. It's probably just bad luck but still incredibly frustrating. I'm probably one of the few upper-year CS students with no internship experience whatsoever. The tech industry is notorious for rejecting well-qualified applicants because a false positive is much worse than a false negative.

    • Even if I do get past the resume screen, the interview process (coding on a whiteboard)—while more meritocratic and less subjective than traditional job interviews—is still broken. The algorithms and implementations you have to study for will not be used by 99% of software developers, and is not a good indicator of one's actual on-the-job ability.

      • I understand that they're looking for more general intelligence and communication skills, I just am not able to push myself to study for it because I find it to be such a waste of time. Short term pain, yadda yadda, I know.
    • Let's pretend I get in, yeah, I have more whining to do..

      • I'm unlikely to have a significant impact. This guy was an experienced software engineer at Google and he felt his work was a but a drop in the ocean. Startups OTOH, have problems of their own.
      • Promotions are probably not going to happen, mostly because of the intense competition, but there are also other organizational and sociological factors that I'm not going to get into.
      • I have some moral reservations about various companies. I would not work for Facebook or Amazon in their current state (not that I have those options anyways).
      • Even if everything goes well, that doesn't guarantee that I'll have all or any of my shit together by the time I want to quit.
    • I don't care about the money that much anymore. $160k + signing bonus + yearly increases for a new grad working less than 60 hours a week!?!? That blows everything out of the water, including the most coveted law, finance, and consulting jobs.

    I'm gonna take a break here to just say: I am aware that this might be the most first-world-problems post ever. I understand that I have it pretty fucking good, even if I can't get a job. The point is, well, mostly for me to vent a bit, and to give you some insight into my mindset. Continuing on...


    You can start reading again if you skipped the above section

    Tbh you could probably just skip to the last line as well.


    Even if I came upon a $100M windfall tomorrow, I wouldn't be any happier (well, maybe a bit).

    I've always kind of known this, while also being cognitively dissonant by thinking, at the same time, that being FI would solve most of my worries.

    For one, what the fuck would I do?

    Probably law school/grad school in something I really enjoy learning about or working for a charity, but that's more of mostly-the-same stuff I've been doing for a while now. Maybe joining the military, but there are a lot of mixed opinions and a few significant obstacles.

    I don't have a lot of friends, let alone close ones, despite putting a lot of effort into it (and going through a lot of self-improvement) pre-COVID.

    Male friends in particular (I'm a straight guy). And it's not because I can't relate or anything. I do lots of "guy" shit; I used to be a nationally-ranked athlete, and I've been called a "flamboyant heterosexual" which was supposed to be a complement, and not calling me a toxic-masculinity-douchebag (FTR, I do a lot of both "bro" and "non-bro" stuff, and probably only 3% of it is for ego purposes). Don't get me wrong, I've gotten to know a lot of great people who were amazingly charismatic or kind or interesting and intelligent or all of the above pretty well, and I can't imagine being close friends with any of them (friendly acquaintances or friends I hangout with semi-regularly, sure). And that's just half of it, I'm not even analyzing whatever they might think about me.

    For dating as well platonic female friends the dynamics are different so I think it might be slightly easier? (probably not though)

    It's obviously not going to get any easier after leaving school. Not to imply that being employed necessarily makes it easier either.

    So my question is: after becoming FI, where do you find happiness? Do your relationships improve? Will I backtrack on all of this if I find a long-term SO? Who the fuck do you think you are? (as a person)

    submitted by /u/FY-PM
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment