• Breaking News

    Saturday, October 31, 2020

    Accounting Me opening my work laptop on weekends

    Accounting Me opening my work laptop on weekends


    Me opening my work laptop on weekends

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 08:54 AM PDT

    Not inaccurate

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 03:56 PM PDT

    Definitely not answering that

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 01:00 AM PDT

    Big 4

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 03:56 PM PDT

    Where I work most days we have a daily check in session with the bosses at 6.30pm

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 04:55 AM PDT

    Mortified about embarrassing incident at work, suggestions please

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 03:29 PM PDT

    Hello, my face is beet red as I type this. I started a new job on Thursday, a nice bump in pay and everyone is very nice so far. However, yesterday my second day at work an embarrassing incident occurred that has rocked my world and left me shaken. I have gained weight since covid started, about 30 pounds worth. This is due to less mobility on account of covid, and an insatiable appetite for fatty foods. I went into the office on my second day and while we are spread out, there was a small army of partners, managers, staff and admin within earshot. At lunch, about an hour before this incident, I had searched in the area for a new lunch spot to call my own. I got more than I bargained for. I found a little hole in the wall mexican restaurant with the best damn burritos Ive had in a while. To get the full experience, I ordered a double meat ground beef burrito, extra sour cream and beans and a few churros for the road. As I sat back at my desk after lunch, my stomache rumbled ever so meekly. I ignored it, as this was a common occurence in light of my dietary choices. I then heard a buzz come from my backpack (my cell phone) and eagerly bend over to unzip and pull it out (and munch on a churro). Thats when it happened. My bowel, in desperation, released a very wet, very loud (and im embarrassed to say this) satisfying fart. For that brief moment I left my body as the relief washed over me. As I came to, I shuddered in horror in the realization that I was in the office, and it was dead silent. You could hear a pin drop. I soiled myself slightly as well. After cleaning up, every time I would get up go to the kitchen/stretch my legs people would avoid eye contact and I even heard some snickering. I dont want to be known as the guy who shit himself on the second day of work. How can I fix this? All suggestions are welcome

    submitted by /u/ahem17
    [link] [comments]

    Accounting humour

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 08:00 PM PDT

    No I can’t work Saturday!

    Posted: 30 Oct 2020 11:21 PM PDT

    Should I double major in CS or Computer Information Systems?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 06:55 PM PDT

    From what I can tell, Computer Information Systems works well with accounting and is far more relevant to the degree than CS, but CS goes far more in depth into software. Many people also say that CIS jobs can be done by CS majors (I can't verify the validity of that, but the reasoning makes sense). Any advice? I don't have any particular goals in mind regarding the two other than being employable and making decent money.

    submitted by /u/duhuhuhuh
    [link] [comments]

    Question about which job experiences to include on my resume

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 06:24 PM PDT

    How should I format my experiences on my resume if the below represents how my work experience looks? Should I skip out on working at Enron and lie on my resume that I just worked at MindGeek the entire time? Or should I include it? (Obviously fake company names). I already passed all my CPA exams, just waiting a couple more months to get my 1 year's worth experience so either my controller or CFO I can be done with the one year experience requirement. After that my plan is to look for Sr. Accountant positions.

    MindGeek (June 2017 - January 2018) - AP Clerk

    MindGeek (February 2018 - August 2019) - AR Clerk

    Enron (July 2019 - December 2019) - AR Clerk

    MindGeek (January 2020 - present) - Staff Accountant

    submitted by /u/koolaid69696969
    [link] [comments]

    Hypothetically, do you think you would be able to launder a material amount of money for an audited company?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 02:29 PM PDT

    Is it really difficult to get into the IRS out of college?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 06:21 AM PDT

    I heard that there's a Pathways program but I'm not sure if it's considered more competitive than the regular entry.

    Is it possible to mostly apply for federal government jobs as a first choice or is getting into a public accounting firm still the standard?

    submitted by /u/trees_are_dumb
    [link] [comments]

    Is it true that almost everyone gets promoted from A1 to A2? (B4 audit)

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 03:36 PM PDT

    Am I underpaid?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 08:12 AM PDT

    I live in a LCOL area (Ohio) and am in tax.

    • Jan 2015 (Starting Salary) - $50,000
    • July 2015 (Annual Review) - $52,000 (4%) + $2,000 bonus
    • July 2016 (Annual Review) - $55,500 (6.7%)+ $3,500 bonus
    • July 2017 (Annual Review / Promotion to Sr) - $62,000 (11.7%) + $3,000 bonus
    • July 2018 (Annual Review) - $65,500 (5.6%)+ $3,000 bonus
    • July 2019 (Annual Review) - $68,500 (4.5%)+ $3,000 bonus
    • October 2020 (Annual review / Promotion to Supervisor) - $72,000 (5.1%) + $1,500 bonus (COVID impact to raise and bonus).

    So I'm looking at almost 6 years of experience making 72k base now. I should have been promoted last year, but no one in my office was promoted to supervisor so we all spent 3 years at senior.

    I also had the most charge hours in our office this past year July 2019 - October 2020 out of 100ish people.

    submitted by /u/DrHoursCrHappiness
    [link] [comments]

    Question for B4 auditors: can programming skills be useful for an audit associate?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 05:18 PM PDT

    Ay Lads!

    I graduated from uni in August and will start at B4 in January 2021 as an audit associate. I enjoy accounting and I'm stoked to start my career as an auditor, but over the last ~8 months I've developed a pestering obsession with CS/programming. Like most non-suicidal accountants, I genuinely enjoy using excel to manipulate data and solve problems, but from a programming standpoint, solving problems using ordinary excel functionality is like having sex with 7 condoms on.

    So, my question is: Can a B4 audit associate get their fix of programming, without getting fired, by writing simple programs that meaningfully increase quality/speed of work?

    I'm thinking things like:

    • shell scripts (for file movement)
    • any VBA scripts, especially excel macros
    • python text-parsing programs
    • python simple test procedure automation programs
    • ultimately, python + whatever library is needed to solve the problem

    Also, if any of you auditors have already used programming to enhance your workflow, please tell me your story! Thanks all.

    submitted by /u/pinecone-soup
    [link] [comments]

    [Serious] Do any designated members here cheat on their taxes? A story and discussion ...

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 05:16 PM PDT

    Honest question and one that makes me mad. It's come to light that my MIL has not been reporting all of her rental income from some of the several rental suites she owns. For years. She collects the cash and uses it to pay for stuff in cash. She's a tax preparer but not designated in any way. IE she knows the rules and tax laws but this way she also knows how to break them and isn't bound by standards or ethics.

    My wife and I have been arguing about the fact that we plan to rent out a suite in our property while we continue to live in the main part of the home. She doesn't want to declare the rental income on our tax returns. I'm a licensed CPA and ethically can't be associated with false or misleading starements. If we report rental income, it will affect our principle residence when we eventually sell our property.

    My wife claims that all her friends do this with their rental properties, even the mutual friends and relatives that we know who are also CPAs themselves.

    I'm not naive enough to not be aware that most people cheat to varying degrees (I used to be a tax preparer in a firm for years myself for Pete's sake!) But it's no less disappointing to see it from friends I know, like and respect.

    Do you guys see it with your friends too? Do you do it yourselves? And I'm not talking about non designated folks. CPAs or whatever equivalent only. I'm terrified that if I ever get caught, I could have my designation removed and my name get printed up in our quarterly magazine's Dicsiplinary section that I know everyone reads.

    submitted by /u/kaze987
    [link] [comments]

    Questions for Industry Senior Accountants

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 03:03 PM PDT

    I have 2 years B4 experience and my CPA, and have just hit the 1 year mark in industry as a senior accountant at a F1000. I'm just curious about others' experience in changing jobs at the senior level. I'd like to make manager in the next year or two, but obviously that's not a guarantee.

    My main questions are as follows: 1) Is it out of the ordinary to leave a senior role in 1 industry, to take a manager role in another industry (e.g. Media to Tech)? 2) Is leaving one senior role after 2 years for another senior-level role for a sizable pay increase a bad look for your resume?

    Thank you.

    submitted by /u/mxfive5
    [link] [comments]

    CPA Exam Study Group?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 04:35 PM PDT

    Would anyone be interested in a CPA Exam study group? Looks like with COVID still going through Spring most likely and busy seasons are winding down, it'd be cool to have a place to help each other out! I created a discord, so join if you're interested!

    https://discord.gg/YrPhKyxs

    submitted by /u/shellsbells12
    [link] [comments]

    Am I underpaid?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 07:52 PM PDT

    Trying to grasp the compensation treads, and I feel like in general something is not right, but could be that I work at a very small 2 partner firm.

    1) Montreal, Quebec region,

    2) MCOL

    3) A1 - 42,000 (CAD)

    4) writing the CFE September 2021 (PEP 2 / 6 completed, taking third now)

    Trying to understand, If its a limitation of the firm I work at?

    I am worried it will take me another 2 years to break $50,000, and i'll have my CPA by then.

    I see adds for bookkeepers with higher starting salaries, kind of confused.

    Any advice?

    submitted by /u/Tsotzky
    [link] [comments]

    Is it a problem if I over audited (units) my inventory observation?

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 07:27 PM PDT

    It was my first inventory observation today. I was told to audit a total avg of 20k units (prior year audit count). But after the audit and I ran the tally, it came up to 130k units.

    Do you think this is will be a problem with the audit mangers?

    submitted by /u/harry4823
    [link] [comments]

    Seeking advice on leaving Public Accounting

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 03:35 PM PDT

    I have been working in audit at a mid-size firm for about two years. I have been on a public engagement from the start and have my CPA license. This year has been miserable and I already feel burnt out. My physical health and mental health has taken a toll. In addition, the handling of raises/promotions/staffing has killed my motivation for the firm. I am receiving my promotion to Senior in November, which was delayed due to Company policies and COVID.

    I have a couple of concerns.

    Should I continue searching for a new job or stick around for one more busy season?

    Am I burning bridges by leaving in a month before busy season?

    Thank you and I greatly appreciate any insight.

    submitted by /u/Technical_Flamingo91
    [link] [comments]

    Professional call from Grant Thornton (Intern)

    Posted: 31 Oct 2020 10:10 AM PDT

    So I did my interviews with Grant Thornton three weeks ago and the recruiter reached out to me saying that a professional would call me yesterday afternoon for a status update. Does anyone know what does that mean? Is there a chance for rejection or it's most likely an acceptance?

    The problem is that no one called me yesterday despite the recruiter said: "you should expect a call this afternoon". I am just a little confused now. Are the professionals just too busy and will they call me on Monday?

    submitted by /u/sagacious1998
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment