• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 30, 2020

    Startups Peer Support and Self Management Saturday’s - A Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant

    Startups Peer Support and Self Management Saturday’s - A Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant


    Peer Support and Self Management Saturday’s - A Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 06:05 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Peer Support and Self Management Thread.

    This is a Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant.

    The goal for this thread is to help one another manage mental and physical health so we can more easily find success.

    We all struggle sometimes and it is important to recognize that the struggle is part of the journey. The important thing is to learn how to overcome that adversity to grow and succeed.

    Be tactful and classy in how you vent your feelings and share your frustrations. Act in a mature manner.

    Ask questions, share experiences, and be there for one another. Practice empathy in giving advice and remember that what worked for you isn't guaranteed to work for others. Make suggestions, not demands of others.

    #Because this is meant to be a safe place to support emotional and physical health there is a zero tolerance policy in effect. Be KIND. Be sure to report any conduct that is in violation of that key tenet.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Terms of use for my new app

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 05:33 PM PDT

    Hello,

    How do I write the terms and conditions for my App. I am in the process of developing my app but don't have a clue on how to write the "terms of use" or "Privacy Policy". is there a guide or a general template that I can follow? Any help is greatly appreciated!

    Thanks

    submitted by /u/chaitanyagoa
    [link] [comments]

    Any good places to follow startup industry news? Funding rounds, acquisitions, etc?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 09:22 AM PDT

    Hi all,
    I'm new here, wondering what are your favourite websites, newsletters, blogs, etc. for following funding rounds, acquisitions, VCs, accelerators, etc?
    Right now I check Techcrunch here and there, plus this subreddit.
    What else is good? Ideally something thats a short and sweet summary (i.e. doesn't take a long time so I can't procrastinate over it).

    submitted by /u/matmatija
    [link] [comments]

    Selling my SaaS. Buyer wants to do seller financing. How can I prevent getting screwed?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 11:38 AM PDT

    Mostly in the title. I've never sold IP before, and never done seller financing.

    I'm selling my SaaS and the buyer agreed to the price, but wants to use seller financing, which I understand as them essentially paying me the full price over a period of time. In this case a year.

    It's a reputable company with funding. But I'm already a little uneasy about their tactics in the sale so far, and I want some kind of insurance that they won't just take the code and stop paying.

    Any suggestions on how to handle this?

    One person suggested just selling them a license until the full sum is paid, then give them full rights. And if they fail to pay, then sue them for violating the license.

    But that just seems like another type of promise that I'd have to enforce on my own cost in the courts.

    UPDATE: Figured out why this is a little weird: comment

    submitted by /u/ehacke
    [link] [comments]

    Managing expectations & emotions as a Founder

    Posted: 30 Aug 2020 12:48 AM PDT

    Hi everyone. I'm an early stage founder of a tech startup in Dubai, UAE. I am really trying to adapt my mindset to be able to deal with the rollercoaster of highs and lows of startup life. From what I've seen, most successful founders are able to go day to day without their emotions getting the best of them, but I find it difficult to not get super excited over a new download or a great call with an investor, similarly getting concerned or stressed by discovering a bug or potential hurdle. I feel like I'd have a heart attack from excitement if I got funding or hit a revenue milestone. I'm extremely passionate about my business so that's where the excitement comes from, however I want to transfer this energy into a more calm and level headed persona as it seems to exude more confidence and looks less amateur.

    Finally to the question: How have you founders managed to do this? What emotions did you feel during the likes of raising rounds, achieving big milestones or exits? Were you always excitable or did you grow out of this state as the startup matured? What was the greatest moment in your startup journey? Any examples would be great!

    submitted by /u/idontlikesand__
    [link] [comments]

    How to find the Right Co-Founder? What should i give them(more important)?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 02:32 AM PDT

    Hello everyone, Hope you are doing well.

    I have just launched my product and i have lots of things in the plate right now, also i have few ideas which i want to work on, but with time restrictions.

    Also, a company with the co-founder rocks in compare of single founder.

    So, i am looking for Co-Founder but i don't know how to get it and most important, what should i gave him/her? I mean, Salary/ Shares, please explain in detail.

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/flying_bird2
    [link] [comments]

    How do you maximize employee performance in a full remote working environment?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 06:06 AM PDT

    And above all, how do you prevent some employee from trying to "fool" you? Do you track activities and hours performed on tasks in any way?

    Long story short: I am the CEO and Founder of a startup with more than 10 people, we are all working full remotely and one of the worries I've always had is to understand how to maximize employee performance. I have always wanted to create an environment of transparency and trust, aligning the team on the company objectives and WHY choices and activities are made. Unfortunately, not all the people are trustworthy and there should be some kind of controlling.

    Working all remotely, we do not track hours that are dedicated to each activity, but every week we make a planning call and set the goals together with all the team, in which each person reports an estimate of the expected time to complete the task. At the same time we make a review to understand which objectives have been achieved the previous week. However, almost every week the goals achieved are on average 30% of those planned. And at the moment, if an employee doesn't accomplish his goals and tasks are delayed, there are no consequences. I often avoid creating conflicts to maintain a healthy working environment, but this culture of having no consequences is generating problems because the team does not give enough care to the company goals. There is also one particular employee that is clearly taking advantage of this situation, receiving a salary with a minimal effort.

    On the one hand I would like to avoid firing people, we are a small company and every person who leaves hurts us (there is a cost to find a new resource, insert it, train it, etc.), on the other hand we cannot continue to have no consequences if company objectives continue to be delayed and people do not mind about company policies.

    I don't know if I'm the problem (maybe I should be more direct, controlling and bossy), or if I have to track people better, or maybe writing the company policies so that they are clear to everyone.

    I would like to have your feedback, understand how you are organized and be inspired from your experiences! Thank you.

    submitted by /u/Obliviux
    [link] [comments]

    Co-founder left our startup before incorporation. What legal documents do we need him to sign?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 05:06 PM PDT

    My co-founder decided to quit our startup after a couple months of work. We have not yet incorporated and have no previous written agreements. He had developed a portion of the code base. Luckily the split is on amicable terms, and he verbally agreed to (1) relinquish all of his equity and (2) relinquish the IP rights to all the code he has so far contributed. We both decided that we need these agreements in writing, but we're not sure what documents we need.

    1) What do we need him to sign? I think we need him to sign an Intellectual Property Assignment agreement passing the code from him to myself. I think we perhaps need a formal Letter of Resignation from him. But what else? Does he need to sign anything indicating that he gives up all equity in the company, even though we don't have an existing Shareholder's Agreement?

    2) Do these documents need to be notarized? I've read some sample IP Agreement templates and they require both our signatures, but we currently live in separate states. I'm wondering what the mechanics are behind notarization in this case (do I get the documents notarized on my side first, then mail it to him and he gets it notarized on his end, then sends copies back to me?).

    submitted by /u/entlassen
    [link] [comments]

    I'm looking for bulk one inch plastic beads. I currently make my product from the beads from jump ropes, but I need to find a bulk supplier. I know plastics companies are making this shape, where/how can I find them?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 07:19 AM PDT

    It's surprising how much variation there is in a different 1 inch plastic beads. I've found my favorite jump rope to pull beads from, but I have no idea how to find their supplier... or how to shop around until I find a supplier that makes a similar quality and color. Any advice would be super helpful.

    submitted by /u/SpankyHarristown
    [link] [comments]

    Need opinions

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 04:47 PM PDT

    Hi.. I have an on demand service mobile app based company. My app is on android and IOS, and soon i will have a PWA to go with it also. I have spent a year working with my developer to develop this app. Today, i received my first customer. Everything went well except on the app's side... it was a complete disaster. The users experienced crucial technical issues. I immediately brought it to my developer's attention since she is in charge of IT. She immediately dismissed me and said it's not her problem. Specifically, "My codes are flawless. thats not my problem." and to "deal with it". I know my startup won't thrive with someone on my team who refuses to find issues and fix them asap, so i'm looking for a new developer. She says all developers will say the same. I am afraid to deal with someone like this again. Any opinions?

    submitted by /u/JUJUglomez
    [link] [comments]

    How to be firm yet informal with interns in your new startup?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 07:18 AM PDT

    Hi, me and my friend, each 23, co-founded our neurotechnology startup 3months ago. Now we're at a stage where we need to hire people to get website/hardware product design etc done.

    We started with website and have hired students, couple years younger than us as part time interns.

    We wanted to establish an informal relationship and seem 'chill'. However in this first week, they don't seem to have worked much. Also, I asked them to just write some observations in a doc which despite reminding, they haven't done.

    Do you guys have any suggestions on how to be friendly, yet enforce accountability? Also how do I look for work ethic while interviewing?

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    Ps: we do pay them

    submitted by /u/merakienverde
    [link] [comments]

    Sunday’s Success Stories - Celebrate Your Successes From the Past Week: Anything goes, none too small!

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 06:05 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Sunday's Success Stories Thread.

    A lot of us get way too hung up on the destination and the fact that we are not there yet.

    It is important to take a moment to reflect on a great quote from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., "The steps you take don't need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction"- Jemma Simmons

    This is extremely relevant to all of us in this community. We should all be more aware of the successes we achieve every day that carry us closer to our goals.

    Celebrating these successes, no matter how small they are, allow us to stay motivated, focused, and happy while we struggle to achieve dreams of various sizes.

    The purpose of this thread is to share our successes from the week with one another and have something to celebrate together.

    So, let us know what successes you have achieved this week! Nothing is too small or insignificant!

    #Because this is meant to be a safe place to support emotional and physical health there is a zero tolerance policy in effect. Be KIND. Be sure to report any conduct that is in violation of that key tenet.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Want to build an immersive experience like Tomorrowland 2020

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 01:12 PM PDT

    Hi, we are developing a virtual reality music concert experience using you laptop where no VR equipment is needed. At the moment all the background are from codepen, youtube videos, and the likes. I would very much like to create my own backgrounds. How do I do that? Who to contact? Your suggestions would be helpful.

    submitted by /u/misscalmnotsocalm
    [link] [comments]

    Why are there multiple companies for $tech and how do they get funding?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 02:21 AM PDT

    Basically the title. I don't mean like multiple companies developing autonomous cars. I understand that there are multiple approaches to that and it is unclear which are successful.

    A good example is probably the current hydrogen boom (or hype if you want) in europe. Suddenly there is a bazillion of small companies popping up, which do something with hydrogen. So a lot of them claims some got internal tech, but that's obviously just marketing. They assemble fuel cells or electrolyzer into container like everyone else. Yet the somehow acquired capital to build their business in the last years.

    Yet, if I was to start such a company, it would probably not pass the reviewers/investors for funding.

    What am I missing here?

    Or more in general, how unique has a business idea to be?

    submitted by /u/Honigwesen
    [link] [comments]

    What advice would you give a 16 year old outside of the US?

    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 03:14 AM PDT

    So yeah I'm 16 and don't want to live a mediocre life I want to actually start to put in the work to create something but just don't know what. Also my country(Moldova) is very poor😭 and there is not much to do here. I know that I want to stop consuming and consuming and actually become a producer. Any advice? I'm also willing to work for free and learn😁 pls help me I'm stuck😢🙏

    submitted by /u/ninjaxdnoob
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment