• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 28, 2020

    Startups Wednesday Social Club - Share What Events You Are Attending This Coming Week

    Startups Wednesday Social Club - Share What Events You Are Attending This Coming Week


    Wednesday Social Club - Share What Events You Are Attending This Coming Week

    Posted: 27 May 2020 06:05 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Social Club thread.

    Share what events and meetups you are going to so we can discover new ways to be social together offline and help grow your local community.

    Focus on sharing events that are happening within the next 7 days of this date of this submission. Anything that falls outside of 10 days will be removed, no exceptions.

    No duplicate posts. If you happen to be attending an event that is already posted, leave a comment to inform the community that you will also be there.

    If you are hoping to organize something on your own, outside of an existing event, feel free to use this thread to rally some people together to meet up.

    Please use the following format to share an event:

    Event Name and URL: Location: Event Date: Event Time: Event Description: Event Cost: Discount Code: [if applicable]

    Please use the following format to organize people to meet up together:

    Location: Purpose of getting together: Suggested Places to meet up:

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    What has your experience been like as an independent consulting firm?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 12:42 PM PDT

    I'm a wantapreuner. I'm looking for ideas and feedback....

    Some large companies I've worked for have used smaller recruiting agencies for consulting. I've seen these consulting firms range in size from a single individual to a few dozen consultants. I'm interested in establishing myself as a consulting firm.

    I'm assuming that a big hurdle to any smaller recruiting firms is establishing a competitive advantage in order to compete with the bigger recruiting firms (ManPower, TekSystems, etc.). This said, it seems like skillsets are not a good "moat" to establish as a competitive advantage since those large recruiting firms can hire smart engineers too. So, it seems like a better option is to for me to charge market rate for my skillset, whereas larger firms charge a commission fee plus market rate.

    Another hurdle is having the framework in-place (professional liability insurance, legal contracts, etc.). Plus, having the network and market in place. Those things take time. And I have time.

    As far as taxes are concerned, it seems advantageous to be an LLC over a 1099 employee. But I'm not sure if that is the best route to go.

    Does anyone have experience in the recruiting or consulting space? Any suggestions or feedback?

    submitted by /u/MissedFieldGoal
    [link] [comments]

    Best places to get feedback on my app?

    Posted: 28 May 2020 12:41 AM PDT

    Ive made a social exercise timer. It's still quite rough but good enough as an MVP.

    Where is a good place to get feedback? Reddits Im aware of are:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/roastmystartup/

    https://www.reddit.com/r/IMadeThis/

    https://www.reddit.com/r/alphaandbetausers/

    https://www.reddit.com/r/shamelessplug/

    https://www.reddit.com/r/SideProject/

    Are there any others?

    submitted by /u/james_codes
    [link] [comments]

    Non-business books

    Posted: 27 May 2020 04:33 PM PDT

    I've read many of the popular business books. No doubt, there is a lot of great information in there.
    But sometimes I like to get a broader perspective since business isn't everything.

    Things like Meditations by Marcus Aurelius and even Fight Club have helped shape my world view and probably my view of running a startup.

    Are there any books you would recommend? Looking for "not business" books that you find yourself referring back to a lot in your day to day. Movies/blogs/etc might be acceptable too, but that's kind of cheating.

    submitted by /u/AllModules
    [link] [comments]

    High Volume SMS Solutions

    Posted: 27 May 2020 11:31 PM PDT

    This question has been asked before (see https://www.reddit.com/r/startups/comments/5tvvb4/what_do_you_use_to_send_highvolume_sms/), but almost 3 years ago at this point. So I wanted to bring it back up and see if there were any new opinions or services that are being used out there to send high volume SMS. And for my particular purposes, high volume would be somewhere around 50,000+ SMS messages per day.

    I currently use Twilio. But I'm finding that we struggle to get through 50,000 per day with Twilio (thought this could be due to our implementation).

    submitted by /u/skurpyun
    [link] [comments]

    Need Advice For Launch

    Posted: 28 May 2020 02:41 AM PDT

    I have been working on a website related to #carbuying guide and info. Providing basic info about the #cars before a customer makes the purchase. The aim is to reduce time as low as possible needed to check the information on #website and to give the best #customerservice #experience. Now i am wondering whats the best way to launch it and get as much of organic #traffic as possible.

    FYI: We are still in Beta testing of the website but response has been good with whatever traffic we get and with 0.00% Bounce rate.

    submitted by /u/quorumty
    [link] [comments]

    How to design a "credit" system like Classpass

    Posted: 28 May 2020 12:57 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    For a lack of a better term, i guess "credit system" will have to do. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried designing something like this and what this field is called? I'm looking to design this as a core monetization feature for an online education platform. Something that already exists is like the system Classpass uses. Does anyone happen to have any books or resources to recommend to read up about this credit system subject?

    submitted by /u/this_could_be_it
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a best place to apply for jobs at a Startup? I.e. LinkedIn vs. the company website?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 08:56 PM PDT

    It seems like there a ton of different job boards. I'm sure it varies by company but are all of these applications aggregated into the same output on the company side? I'm wondering if there is some advantage to applying through LinkedIn vs. the company's career page vs. Angel.Co or if you should just submit applications through as many portals as you can.

    submitted by /u/rockwood15
    [link] [comments]

    If you had to make $10M in 10 years, what would you do?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 08:23 AM PDT

    What's your roadmap look like?

    I like to run this little thought experiment every once in a while and I'm curious to know what your strategic thinking around this would be?

    Would you put all of your eggs (and sweat equity) into one basket? Would you try to raise money to launch several start ups? Let's hear the creative ideas.

    submitted by /u/sm_098
    [link] [comments]

    How effective is Linkedin ads for generating leads for a SaaS product?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 10:57 AM PDT

    What is your experience about selling SaaS through Linkedin? What's the best advertisement format to use? How much does it cost for a lead generation? What other LinkedIn activities is effective for organic lead generation? Is linkedin ads equally effective for Global lead generation? My product is priced between $2-$6 per user.

    submitted by /u/Podiff
    [link] [comments]

    Has anyone merged with their competitor?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 10:51 AM PDT

    A new competitor emerged that is extremely similar to my startup. Upon looking into it, their entire situation seems very similar to ours. I even have a hunch that we'd work together quite well, so the thought of merging with them crossed my mind.

    It probably wouldn't work out due to geographic differences or some other stumbling block, but I'm curious if anyone else has pursued merging with a competitor.

    submitted by /u/giveusyourlighter
    [link] [comments]

    How should I decide on a revenue stream?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 07:10 PM PDT

    If my startup were to provide a service and partner with larger companies where my company provides a service boosting levels of confidence in people purchasing from that site. What revenue stream do I do? Subscription based? A few to the we site I partner with on sales using my service? Other thoughts?

    I am stuck on this thought, what is the best route?

    submitted by /u/ppqia
    [link] [comments]

    first time having founders shares, should I worry?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 06:49 PM PDT

    I got issued founders shares in Oct 2019 for a startup. I didnt put any money into the company: neither did the other founders, our contribution will be the company IP. We subsequently raised some money based on a $2M valuation. I didn't file an 83(b) because, frankly, I missed the deadline, But if I make any money on this venture I will be happy to pay taxes. Its really just a super fun side thing. Is there any major issue I have tax wise you think I should be paying more attention to ? do I need to get my tax accountant involved ? he guy costs an arm and a leg for any consultation. Even if I need to talk to him I'd appreciate knowing what I should talk about.

    submitted by /u/ledledit
    [link] [comments]

    Product/idea validation - best practices

    Posted: 27 May 2020 09:35 PM PDT

    Hi all,

    I know product/idea validation is fast becoming a must in the startup process, but it still feels very cumbersome and taxing to get a) feedback at all, b) feedback from people who know what they're talking about and c) enough feedback to feel like your idea has legs.

    What tools/tactics are you using to validate your product or idea (aside from this sub), and are those tools/tactics working for you?

    submitted by /u/610Ken
    [link] [comments]

    Getting better but is it sustainable growth?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 03:24 PM PDT

    Hello guys!

    This is my first post on this subreddit, and I would like to share my recent experience on building a meal kit start-up. Sorry for my English as It is not my native language, I will do my best.

    I made so many mistakes during this path and I guess it is part from any entrepreneur career. We began as a subscription company focused on delivering weekly gluten-free meals in my city.. We validate our product with a list of known and unknown people, and we had great feedback with some suggestions which were a good point to start.

    We wanted to build something different from what is usual here in Brazil, so we decided to go to a subscription-weekly model because it made sense for us, a lot of people we've interviewed said they would consume our product on a daily basis if they could get a discount.

    So, we decided to build our platform before even selling our product (Big mistake). After we launched it our friends and family quickly subscribed to our userbase and we started selling our first meal kits.

    However on the minute we started our marketing campaign with influencers we could not convert our leads to subscribe at all... They did not understand the model, they just wanted to try or have it for an occasional week. So to break this barrier, we put an overprice of 10% for the ones who were willing to try it, because in our perspective we could not sell something to a Lead the same price we sell to a subscriber.

    Of course, this didn't work as expected because people thought our product was too expensive comparing to our competition (they do traditional retail). Our business started to melt on cash, and we had no other way to survive then be a traditional retail company, we would not focus on subscribe anymore or sell through our website, and all the interactions with customers would be acquisition on Instagram with influencers and redirected to our WhatsApp to convert.

    Company began to gain traction through this cycle: Generating leads through influencers campaign, good conversion on WhatsApp, if customers liked it we put them on our user list, weekly we send them our menu and we focus on expanding this user list as well as retain active users.

    The problem is, isn't the WhatsApp a bit intrusive to be marketing weekly with customers? I've searched for some companies that could automate this customer relation management, but I couldn't find any specific for WhatsApp. In your opinion is this a sustainable way for growing or should we change for another strategy like email marketing even if our sales are specially on WhatsApp?

    TLDR: Meal kit company launched on August 2019 on subscription model for weekly meal plan. Subscription did not work out because customers are not use to it in food here in Brazil. We changed our business model, built a segmented list as we got feedback from happy customers and send weekly menu for them by WhatsApp. Company is getting traction and performing well right now, but we are not confident this is the right path. What are your opinions regarding WhatsApp marketing, is it too intrusive? Should we move to e-mail marketing?

    submitted by /u/andreblc
    [link] [comments]

    Recommendations on CTO?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 08:59 PM PDT

    Hey guys, I secured a seed investment round of $500K USD and I own 100% of the stock. The investor agreed to a debt-financed convertible note with a maturity of 12 months.

    The closing date is June 5 which is next Friday and I need to find a CTO to form a team ASAP. The note isn't conditional on a CTO hiring either.

    Now, as a non-technical guy, I need to find a CTO to develop a team to develop an app in 3 months or less and this is literally my first app ever.

    The investor says he'll invest more earlier before February if I show strong promise and progress, but does not want the CTO to be issued stock (not even vested stock as a co-founder) and an option pool can be no greater than 3% of the company.

    How do I find and approach a CTO that would fit this criteria? I've talked with a few and they've all said no or they wanted more.

    If I can only issue limited stock, what pay should I offer them? I already have ranges, but if I can hear more opinions that will certainly help!

    I'm outsourcing a lot of the basic coding to India and the real work will largely be completed by Canadians (thanks to a lower USD/CAD conversion cost and where I'm from).

    But rather than struggling with a learning curve during this limited time, getting a CTO is just plain simpler.

    Do you think it would be reasonable to cut the budget as much as possible for a CTO salary and give them the minimum amount of vested equity as possible?

    How do I accomplish something like this?

    Obviously I'd need to sell huge propositional value to the CTO, but how? What is something that a CTO wants besides money and stock? Street cred? Where do I buy that? 😂

    How would you convince a CTO to become employee no. 1 without issuing a single share of stock to them and paying a fair salary?

    Any and all answers help! Thank you guys and thank goodness Reddit exists!

    submitted by /u/barrelbarrelbarrel
    [link] [comments]

    Have you guys launched on Appsumo? What was your experience?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 11:59 AM PDT

    I would like to learn more about launching a deal on Appsumo? Does it worth it? What's your opinion? What was your experience? good, bad, and ugly? Is there anything I need to keep an eye on? How much money did you get? Does it cover your expenses? What was your plan after launching on Appsumo?

    submitted by /u/vasinl
    [link] [comments]

    Getting a equity raise before a round vs after a round

    Posted: 27 May 2020 09:42 AM PDT

    Hey /startups community,

    I had a question around equity (from an employee perspective) what are the pros and cons to getting equity before and fundraising round vs getting equity after a fundraising round.

    I can see arguments to both sides but I'm curious what you all think and am excited to read your insights.

    submitted by /u/needhelpwithmywifi
    [link] [comments]

    What's the next step? MVP in progress and simultaneously carrying out idea validation.

    Posted: 27 May 2020 10:17 AM PDT

    Hello everyone!

    I'm currently building out an MVP and at the same time i'm trying to carry out as much idea validation as possible. The only issue is, as an engineer, i'm totally fine with the MVP but i'm not sure on what to do next regarding idea validation. Here are a few things I've done:

    • Reach out to my contacts to arrange customer interviews
      • I have several interviews booked, however, I was massively disappointed by the lack of responses, having reached out to over 500 people personally, I only managed to secure about 5 interviews.
    • Direct Messages on LinkedIn
      • I've bought a premium LinkedIn account so that I can direct message people who I see as expert in the industry, after some cold messaging, i've received some feedback which suggests i'm moving in the right direction. However, I have so far been unsuccessful in convincing anyone at this level to have a customer interview with me.
    • I'm currently putting a blog together in hopes of being able to pull in traffic for my early access sign up, in other words, i'm trying to drive traffic to my site.
      • This is an ongoing effort and it's still early days, any advice on what I can do to accelerate this would be massively helpful.

    Ultimately, I can continue the approach i'm going for right now but it hasn't been massively fruitful, the good feedback is useful but it isn't exactly something that drives sales. Or, alternatively, I can take a new route and that's what i'm asking for today, what would you do?

    submitted by /u/Chronicler_
    [link] [comments]

    How to get a start up off the ground with no ad budget?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 04:12 PM PDT

    I have created a new social network and advanced content publishing platform. My question is after maxing out my own small network and having a budget of 0 to spend on advertising, how do you onboard new members or get any online start up off the ground? Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/WebSwiftSEO
    [link] [comments]

    Making money in AR-industry, who and when

    Posted: 27 May 2020 11:16 AM PDT

    So everyone around me screams that Augmented Reality is the next big thing and future "Facebooks" and "Googles" will emerge from it.

    Currently, I don't see any proven business model that is generating money, especially in the consumer market. I've made a research to see what business opportunities I can find, who will benefit from AR-tech and when.

    My outcomes are:

    • First, most of the money will go to the hardware segment.
      So if you want to make money early - you should go the hardware route (Magic Leap, Daqri, ODG, soon Apple).
    • Then the money-making lead will go to service companies. After hardware, there is a need for content. I believe 3D modeling and design studios will make the most money during this stage.
      So if you want to make money 2-3 years from now, - start up a studio that creates 3D content and big companies will be your clients.
    • After hardware and content, comes apps. Now hear me out, software companies will be around from day one. But only now is the time when different AR-apps, saas, and tools will take the money earning lead.
      If you plan to make an AR-app business today, - you have to have money for 3-5 years before your venture really takes off.

    That correlates with this graph from Digi-capital which states that hardware will make the most money until 2024.

    I really want to spark a discussion about AR business. What do you think about its opportunities? Is it wise to invest time and money to create software AR startups today, or is it too early?

    submitted by /u/useful_life
    [link] [comments]

    Thoughts on Sending Influencers Free Items for Exposure?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 06:34 PM PDT

    TL;DR at the bottom.

    Hi everyone. I own a small online vintage shop that I started to put a lot of time and effort into in hopes of one day turning it into a serious and notable business.

    I have a small - and I mean real small - audience on my social media platforms. Thankfully, the platform I use to sell my vintage clothes doesn't require a large social media presence, and business is mostly conducted through organic search results via the selling platform.

    I had an influencer contact me on social media basically stating that she has 200k followers on TikTok (that's true, I checked) and that 98% of her viewers are female (not sure how true this is, she did not provide analytics). We are both teenagers, with her being 16 and me being 19 (stating this to set the formality of the scene).

    She started talking about how she loves sustainable fashion and that she would love to promote a small business like mine on her platforms. With me sending her a few items, she would wear them in her TikTok and Instagram and tag my shop.

    That's not too bad, I could most likely source an outfit for her for $10, which I would not mind investing in if this advertisement would be worth it. TikTok is pretty keen on fashion and businesses that generate good content can gain a large following and great exposure.

    I'm just a little concerned because I'm almost positive that the original message she sent was most likely a copy/paste. So how many other shops is she going to promote and will my promotion be overshadowed/oversaturated with the abundance of possible advertisements if she is collaborating with other businesses?

    How can I ensure that she will promote my business and not leave me dry?

    How can I best take advantage of this opportunity?

    I know that influencers asking for free items is an eye roll for a looooot of small businesses, but this influencer is very young and honestly, my shop could use the exposure.

    Is it worth it?

    TL;DR: young influencer wants me to send her free clothing items for exposure to her 200k TikTok followers. is it worth it?

    submitted by /u/butterflysticker
    [link] [comments]

    Best tools for tracking email open / click rates?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 11:49 AM PDT

    Hello r/startups! I'm wondering what's the best tool for quickly gathering insights in email open / click rate.

    My startup is just getting into the data analytics. Our service comprises of these live updates we send out in the form of emails.

    Most of our customers are using this for free, but we're switching to a paid model in the next little bit. Before we do, really want to figure out who's been opening these emails vs who's ignoring them, and who's clicking the links in these emails.

    What tools do you use for tracking your email engagement? And what drew you to using that, as opposed to the many other options out there?

    submitted by /u/Vinnie_Vidi_Vici
    [link] [comments]

    What domains are better if .Com is already taken?

    Posted: 27 May 2020 11:21 AM PDT

    Hi guys, the name of our company is already taken by another one. This other company works in a completely different sector so they are no competition and doesn't even use the website directly, it redirects to their main site. They don't even ask that much money to sell it but with a tight budget we can't afford it for now, after launch we plan to buy it eventually.

    Our startup is a technology company and the name has a great meaning behind it (even a part of our marketing is based on it) so we don't want to change it, so we were thinking about getting another domain. What do you guys suggest? .co or. tech or .io?

    submitted by /u/TheCrazyBean
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment