• Breaking News

    Thursday, May 28, 2020

    Accounting With no interns this summer I’m going to miss reactions like these when they find a $2 variance.

    Accounting With no interns this summer I’m going to miss reactions like these when they find a $2 variance.


    With no interns this summer I’m going to miss reactions like these when they find a $2 variance.

    Posted: 28 May 2020 10:56 AM PDT

    How I imagine consulting works

    Posted: 28 May 2020 03:36 PM PDT

    Fuck future me

    Posted: 28 May 2020 02:42 PM PDT

    Anyone else have work but refuse to do it? Like I know its gonna screw me over in the future but I literally have no motivation to do it. I don't want to get fired but I hate my job at the same time so I end up saving it until last minute and then pulling all-nighters to finish.

    Like wtf.

    In the words of the great Holden McNeely, I'll be on reddit all day until the last possible minute and God forbid something goes wrong because I will not be able to fix it.

    submitted by /u/Jaleopeno
    [link] [comments]

    Clearing the last review points before sign off like

    Posted: 28 May 2020 01:29 PM PDT

    Got a new shirt for casual Friday’s!

    Posted: 28 May 2020 03:59 PM PDT

    Get woke YA DINGUS

    Posted: 28 May 2020 12:28 PM PDT

    Best decision ever.

    Posted: 28 May 2020 11:00 AM PDT

    Recruiter manages to include every single accounting job post red flag in a single post

    Posted: 28 May 2020 06:25 PM PDT

    WFH pro tip - if you need to share your screen on Teams, always share screen #2. This way they don’t see the 162 excel files you’ve saved to your desktop on screen #1.

    Posted: 28 May 2020 04:04 AM PDT

    Right lads, which one of you is this genius hahaha

    Posted: 28 May 2020 02:02 PM PDT

    "To help support you, EY will pay you a stipend in the amount of $2,500 no later than August 31, 2020."

    Posted: 28 May 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    I was just notified of a January 2021 start date. Does a stipend mean a one time payment? Or is that a recurring payment?

    submitted by /u/onthewaybackok
    [link] [comments]

    Canadian homies, talk to me.

    Posted: 28 May 2020 02:38 PM PDT

    I'm an American, but I've always loved Canada. I've been to Toronto and Vancouver and a few other smaller towns. It's always been an idea of mine to possibly relocate to Canada someday.

    Anyway, I get the impression that salaries are abysmal there. Is this always the case or just at the entry level?

    I'd like to hear about your (non-public accounting) experiences. Anything corporate accounting, fp&a, etc.

    submitted by /u/idkmanijdk
    [link] [comments]

    The vocabulary guide to writing emails like a B4 Manager

    Posted: 28 May 2020 05:20 PM PDT

    Serious question for those of you working in public practice

    Posted: 28 May 2020 07:34 PM PDT

    Say for example you work in a mid-sized firm with a handful of partners. You are assigned files to work on, with little to no guidance from one particular partner, you handle virtually all of the client correspondence and questions, you do your job to the best of you ability and complete it in a timely and efficient manner. Despite all that, say that said partner takes a month or longer to review your files, and in the meantime clients are questioning when their tax return or financial statements will be done. By the time you get the file back from the partner you can barely remember working on it because you've done countless others in the meantime. You end up looking like an idiot to the client for things taking so long, and you resent working on that partners files. You enjoy working for all other partners except one in particular. What do you do?

    submitted by /u/NoviceExpert_
    [link] [comments]

    What’s the LinkedIn etiquette for accepting an internship offer, as far putting it on my actual profile?

    Posted: 28 May 2020 07:34 PM PDT

    I honestly don't want to be the guy who's like "I am so thrilled to announce that I have accepted a winter 2021 internship with EY!! I have so many people to thank... so I'll just tag the 3 recruiters, tax manager, and tax managing director."

    But I DO want to put it on my LinkedIn profile... just without all the hoopla. How should I be listing my future internship with a firm on my LinkedIn (if even at all...)?

    submitted by /u/GainAboveTheCorridor
    [link] [comments]

    Jumping ship in this environment?

    Posted: 28 May 2020 04:37 PM PDT

    Hey everyone. I've got a few choices for what to do this fall and I'm curious what yalls thoughts are. I'll put a tldr at the bottom for my adhd brothers and sisters.

    So for context, I have two engagements. I like one. I don't like the other. Ofc the one I'm primarily staffed on is the one I don't like. Tbh it's mostly the nature of the work that i hate the most. Controls, as I have come to learn in my short stint, are annoying as fuck and I hate every second that I'm forced to work on them. A lot of the work on this client is just extremely dry. Unfortunately, this engagement hasn't been able to hold down a staff for like 3 years so they won't let me do any transfer internally. At least not until they built up their base in a couple years. I also have a rather weird relationship with my counselor. He's just an odd dude, and he's pretty smug. I don't think he wants me fired or anything, but he just makes me feel unwelcome. So, other than sticking out another busy season, my options are all external. The pros to sticking out another busy season are

    1. I will have enough time to pass all four parts. (0/4) ATM but I still get a bonus if I pass by year 2
    2. I'll be able to get the senior title. I won't have the experience, but I'll have the title.
    3. I have a side engagement that I actually kinda like, with seniors and managers that I have somewhat bonded with. Sadly I don't get much time there, and the time I do get it's just side work. I used to be the main staff, and was supposed to be the main staff. But I got fucking finessed by the engagement that can't hold a staff down.

    If I leave, I want to get away from the journal entry / record keeping side of business. I truly like global/macro economics, and big data. I'm feel I'm much more finance leaning. If I stayed in the accounting realm I would want it to be in a budgeting/forecasting role. I thought about jumping ship and looking for a TAS team. But I've about had it with PA. It's worth mentioning that my end goal when going into B4 audit was too eventually go IB. But I quickly learned I don't want to work 65-70 hours, let alone 100. So work life balance is important.

    One of my concerns of leaving is obviously, going too early. I don't want to get a stale job, and end up bored or pigeon holed. Is it possible I could just take whatever exit I get before busy season and then get a better job when the economy clears up? Also, it just sounds like it's impossible to find an enjoyable job and we've all just collectively agreed that we just have to work jobs we hate for 8 hours a day and then just find a hobby on the side. Sounds rather grim to me but idk. So uh, thoughts?

    TLDR; B4 A1. Not a huge fan of anything about my engagement, but they won't let me transfer. So I kinda wanna leave. I like finance/Econ/investing, but if I leave one year in I won't have my CPA yet

    submitted by /u/CertifiedWageCuck
    [link] [comments]

    Is it hard finding a job as an accountant when you have no experience?

    Posted: 28 May 2020 03:07 PM PDT

    What about internships? Is it easy to get hired for those? How do you get the year experience needed for accounting positions? Im a freshmen that's considering a career in accounting, but i dont want to be jobless when i graduate.

    submitted by /u/Metty47
    [link] [comments]

    Would you rather go to university for another year for the MAcc or stay at home to get the 150 hours online?

    Posted: 28 May 2020 06:46 PM PDT

    I have basically two options:

    1. Do the MAcc. Shit it really expensive. Just thinking about it keeps me up at night.

    2. Stay at home and do random cheaper classes to get to 150 credit hours.

    I can envision a situation in which 80 year old me is wondering why I didn't save money and do random community college classes, and also a situation in which I regret not spending the full 4 years at college and having a good time. But with the virus that 'experience' is also up in the air. Instead of consulting my friends and family, I finally came to my senses and am seeking consensus from internet strangers.

    submitted by /u/Relevations
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for an entry level accounting job

    Posted: 28 May 2020 03:14 PM PDT

    Hi all, I am desperately looking for a job in accounting. I have a bachelors in accounting but I was out of job for 5 years. 2018 -19 I volunteered as secretary for a small NPO and later 2019-20 became Accountant for same NPO . Now with CoVid finding job is a bit of challenge. Have QuickBooks experience and good MS Excel. Any suggestions to get a job offer? I have been applying for all entry level accounting job in indeed. Why is my resume not getting picked up?!

    submitted by /u/Happy_Site
    [link] [comments]

    Plexiglass installed... After one day. Is it a bird?...

    Posted: 28 May 2020 10:45 AM PDT

    Phone interview tomorrow - Really want to ace this [CAN]

    Posted: 28 May 2020 07:26 PM PDT

    This is for a Staff Accountant position in what would be considered a mid-size firm in a larger city (~50), but it's the largest non-national firm in their city. I got a call back on an application, had a 15 minute talk about the position, some background about me, on the firm. I had done my research so I feel it went well.

    My employment background: I have worked for just over a year as a Billing/General Accounting Clerk at a large law firm in my city. There has been a lot of changes during my tenure and I have proposed and implemented a few projects to save time (mostly automating small processes), so I feel I have a few things to be proud of that I can talk about in the interview. I was originally planning on pursuing my CPA through an EVR route with this firm but COVID caused some changes. I now feel public practice would be the best route for my CPA. Besides this year of experience, all my experience was in manual labour (construction + tree planting) but I can talk about the values I've gained from those jobs.

    Overall I feel like I am a good fit - my computer skills are good, I've been told I'm quite personable, I have the education I need. I really feel I match their posting well and they look like a great firm. I'm really excited for the opportunity and want to make sure I'm doing everything I can to ace this.

    One interesting detail: I currently live in a city several hours away. I am ready to move away from my current address (lots of reasons, primarily it's too expensive and I'd never be able to put down roots here), but I intended to get my CPA here as it's where I went to university and is the largest hub for business in the province. They asked me about why I would want to move and I feel I had a good answer.

    One thing I will need to explain is an overall low GPA. The truest reason for this is that it took me a bit longer to grow up - I didn't take my early courses seriously and failed a few. However, I attained around 3.7 in my GPA for my 3rd and 4th year accounting courses, and I believe that shows I have a solid understanding of the material. I just don't think I should be giving them that impression - I also have had some struggles with anxiety and depression but that also isn't something I would like to advertise to a potential employer.

    They scheduled an hour phone call during my lunch break. They told me the discussion would be about my future career aspirations and about my year of employment at the law firm. For career aspirations, my immediate plan is just my CPA. I'm still not 100% sure whether I would want to do tax or audit, but I am leaning towards tax (I have reasons I can talk about at length). I intend to perhaps open my own firm one day (10-15 years down the line) or go into consulting or teaching (I've always loved helping people learn) but I'm not sure if I should be entirely transparent about that... if you were interviewing me, would you prefer to hear I am aiming to make partner? I think that they will be focusing on what exactly I really did in my duties, and honestly I did a lot of billing and database maintenence. But I do have things I'm proud of, and I'll focus on presenting it with CARS/STAR format. I plan to try to write a few answers to potential questions tonight, such as: What are you most proud of, whats a challenge you faced and how did you overcome it, greatest strength, greatest weakness. I'll probably look up a few more common interview questions that may catch me off guard - I haven't interviewed in over a year.

    Thanks for taking the time to read this - I would love to hear any advice any of you may have.

    EDIT: The reason why I think I will have to take about my GPA is that they requested my unofficial academic transcript to verify I've completed my bachelors. This came after our phone call today. I offered no explanation of my GPA with my transcript, I preferred to let them ask me about it if they're going to ask.

    TL:DR:

    Staff accountant interview - Have a year of experience in a general accounting clerk at a law firm and little else accountant related. Enrolled in CPA PEP, feel like a good fit for the position, want to ensure I nail this. Advice?

    submitted by /u/Bogaragaraga
    [link] [comments]

    Deloitte Knowledge Check - FY21

    Posted: 28 May 2020 08:43 AM PDT

    DT people, what are you hearing about FY21?

    Heard there have been PPMD calls and COVID-19 calls on the calendar this week.

    submitted by /u/blawdyblaw
    [link] [comments]

    SEPTEMBER CFE

    Posted: 28 May 2020 12:20 PM PDT

    We should be getting an update soon on if the exam is cancelled due to COVID-19.

    Anybody thinking that it won't be cancelled? How can they do it safely across all of Canada?

    submitted by /u/masterpiece1010
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment