• Breaking News

    Tuesday, May 26, 2020

    Accounting Live before corona was like:

    Accounting Live before corona was like:


    Live before corona was like:

    Posted: 26 May 2020 05:18 PM PDT

    What accounting students see when they come to this sub to inquire about an offer they got from KPMG.

    Posted: 26 May 2020 08:20 AM PDT

    Doin some nonprofit CPE

    Posted: 26 May 2020 12:47 PM PDT

    When you see another KPMG meme, but you're from KPMG

    Posted: 26 May 2020 12:04 PM PDT

    My "virtual" inventory verification experience due to the Covid lockdown

    Posted: 26 May 2020 02:38 AM PDT

    Korean dramas definitely get it

    Posted: 26 May 2020 09:55 PM PDT

    To all the ones who came before

    Posted: 26 May 2020 12:46 PM PDT

    CPA score release delayed

    Posted: 26 May 2020 05:53 PM PDT

    https://twitter.com/bdofexaminers/status/1265444433983660032

    Was supposed to be tomorrow midnight or some time today.

    Expected Friday now.

    submitted by /u/Some_Tear
    [link] [comments]

    Time for a change?

    Posted: 26 May 2020 04:26 PM PDT

    I've been struggling with this since the start of busy season this year. I went into this year, my first as a senior, with hope that I'm going to stick around until manager and then leave public with a nice job in industry. After this busy season and then some I don't know if I even want to spend another day in public.

    For background I work at a mid size firm, top 30 in the United States, I am a CPA and I am in audit. Every day I wake up and feel like I'm drowning with a tight chest and dread for the day to continue. I know this last busy season completely burnt me out like I've never been burnt out before and I really don't want to continue in public. I've been talking to recruiters about potentially leaving public since February and I submitted my resume to a couple listings last week, one for internal audit and one for a senior accountant position in industry. Both opportunities make me excited but I don't know if that is because I am genuinely interested in the job or just the fact that people are still hiring during this pandemic gives me hope. At the same time I'm terrified because I don't really know anything about either of those roles and I'm worried that if I'm hired they will expect me to be ready to hit the ground running with my background.

    Now for the me asking for advice part. Are these feelings normal? Is it really time for me to leave public or am I just being a bitch and need to suck it up? I'm sorry I know there are like a million and one of these posts but I don't have anyone else to ask about this stuff as I'm not friends with anyone who has actually made the transition from public to industry. Any advice at all will help. Thank you in advance.

    submitted by /u/sen1or-1
    [link] [comments]

    B4 Accounting (Audit) Career Path

    Posted: 26 May 2020 02:41 PM PDT

    Hey everyone, I've been feeling a bit down lately on my choice of career path to be quite honest with you. I graduated at the top of my class in college and to go through the grueling audit grind each day at B4 (rising senior) with heavy hours and little motivation comparative to friends in fields like CS who got paid out the nose with great jobs right out of college is a bit disheartening. Does anyone feel the same way, and are there any additional skills I could be developing or certifications I could be getting on the side that would improve my worth and career growth potential? Thanks

    submitted by /u/Ozymandias005
    [link] [comments]

    Those in Oil & Gas, how are you guys holding up?

    Posted: 26 May 2020 12:44 PM PDT

    O&G associate at a regional public accounting firm in TX here. We do outsourced accounting services for a bunch of O&G companies (mainly upstream) and we're definitely starting to see the impact of the coronavirus/the current economy on our clients (small ones being bought out, holding off on AP payments, etc)

    Just wanted to see how those in industry are doing. How are y'all's companies weathering the storm? Would love to hear from fellow O&G folks

    submitted by /u/ching_king
    [link] [comments]

    Now that is a good shirt

    Posted: 26 May 2020 10:27 PM PDT

    Cross posting so college students here can see!

    Posted: 26 May 2020 09:31 PM PDT

    Big 4 tax exit ops

    Posted: 26 May 2020 07:48 AM PDT

    Want to leave big 4 tax and go into an exit op with great work life balance. The pay isn't as important, something that will give me the time to simultaneously build my own firm to hopefully jump into full time eventually. Any suggestions?

    I plan on leaving around manager and have my CPA

    submitted by /u/mball96
    [link] [comments]

    Strange Education Question: Does Geographic Information Systems count as Information Systems for the CPA education requirement?

    Posted: 26 May 2020 08:59 PM PDT

    Can anyone help me? AICPA and NASBA have both been shit when given time to answer this. I got an "lol idk bro" type of response out of them.

    submitted by /u/escapefrom1995
    [link] [comments]

    Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) hold music

    Posted: 26 May 2020 10:37 AM PDT

    Since Covid CRA phone wait times have regularly been 1-1.5 hours. The hold music is the same four songs on a loop, one is from Vivaldi's four seasons, another is Debussy (I think) but I've never been able to identify the others. Any thoughts?

    submitted by /u/Crawgdor
    [link] [comments]

    Rising college senior having doubts about Accounting major

    Posted: 26 May 2020 02:47 PM PDT

    Have any of you had second thoughts about accounting, do you regret not changing your major, or are you glad you stuck through it?

    I chose accounting my freshman year because the job stability appealed me. That no longer matters now because I dread my accounting classes and the thought of taking the CPA exam in a year or so, just makes me sad and nervous. I worry that these feelings won't go away if I get a full time job in the future.

    My accounting classes have been the hardest thing for me and they have been my lowest grades on my transcripts (C's) . I've been turned down for internships because of those C's even though my university GPA is above a 3.5

    I don't know what to do at this point because I'm two semesters away from getting my diploma.

    I don't see myself as an accountant for the rest of my life, I eventually want to open or create a few businesses, but I feel like accounting will give me good knowledge before that time comes. With that being said is the struggle worth it in the end?

    submitted by /u/cheesecakepufflove
    [link] [comments]

    Promotion opportunity under odd circumstances

    Posted: 26 May 2020 08:29 PM PDT

    I am a Sr. Tax Analyst at a mid-sized company with 5 years of experience mixed between Big 4 and Corporate. I have been with my current company for 2 years. Before I start, I feel it is helpful to share that my team is top heavy with upper level management and we are in the NYC area.

    To cut to the chase – the only other Sr. Tax Analyst on my team who I used to split/rotate roles and responsibilities with was recently offered a new job/opportunity. However, I was not ever told about or had the chance to apply for the position that my colleague was given. This other Sr. Tax Analyst is my friend and I am very happy for her, but something just does not sit right with me about the way upper management went about selecting her without any application process or transparency whatsoever.

    Here is the story for the purpose of context and nuance (this all happened a few weeks ago):

    My colleague and I have comparable qualifications and work experience(s), and we both work decent hours during the year during month-end close, quarter-close, year-end, and corporate tax return preparation. We both share similar feelings about our immediate boss who is a textbook micromanager.

    Last year my coworker became pregnant, and took her leave of absence (LOA) for 5 months to raise her baby. During her LOA, my team hired an experienced contractor to take her place with the plan being that my coworker would return to her position post-LOA and the contractor would be let go. However, during her LOA the contractor did a good job that resulted in processes/quarterly closes to become smoother and more efficient than before.

    Thus, here is where my frustration and the purpose of this post comes in - Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, my coworker is on her first week back from LOA, and she sends me an instant message saying she had a meeting with our VP, and that he had offered her a brand new role on a separate team within our group. She now will report to a new manager who is super laid back and the workload will be much more manageable overall. This was shocking to me, as typically the finance organization sends monthly emails with internal job postings within the finance organization, and this "new role" was never previously listed or spoken of.

    I had a meeting a few days later with my boss, and she share the news that my coworker will be switching teams. She claimed the other manager needs help and that my immediate team will be taking on another contractor. She went on to ask I had any concerns. To which I asked

    (1) How was my coworker was selected for the position?

    (2) Was there was an internal job posting?

    (3) Why was I not able to apply for this position?

    My boss was clearly not expecting me to question this. She fumbled over her words and in a roundabout way stated that it was, "good timing with XYZ's return" and "business needs".

    All in all, this situation made me incredibly frustrated because my coworker was essentially handed a brand new, interesting/fun position on a silver plate without even having to ask for it. I would feel differently if she was actively trying to switch roles/facing a potential lay-off, but to me it appears that she being rewarded for taking a LOA. In addition, it is quite uncommon to switch roles laterally in tax accounting, so I am irritated that she was given a job due to what I think is best described as nepotism.

    Fast forward to early last week:

    I had a routine monthly meeting with my VP. I brought up my points about how there was a lack of transparency on my team, and he immediately apologized (many times) saying it was a total error on his part, and that he should have made the open position known. He mentions that it was not fair to me, and that he will take ownership for it and try to see if there is a way I could possibly do a rotation in the future. He also made a point of saying that I was not considered because "I am too good at my job and current role."

    Fast forward to today:

    I had my routine bi-weekly meeting with my senior director (this is the person my immediate boss reports to). She stated that she talked to my boss, who mentioned to her that I had concerns about the team changes, and therefore she wanted to check if I still had concerns. I did not mention my conversation with the VP, though I did explain how I felt like there was a lack of transparency concerning the team changes that directly impacted me. I also explained that I would have liked to have been considered for the other new position. She then agreed with the lack of transparency, but denied that it was a "new role", rather she stated that it was just shifting team members around for where there are the most project needs. Of course, her statement contradicted what everyone else, including the VP, has told me. She went on to praise my work on the team for the past two years, and then asked if I was interested in and/or feel ready to be promoted to a manager. The whole conversation was quite unexpected from my end and had a very forced/odd feel too it (not exactly the positive vibe you would expect when discussing promotion). She did mention that the promotion would take on new responsibilities (personally, I do not want these extra responsibilities) and I would still report to my same boss (which I also do not want lol). Compensation was not discussed, and the conversation ended with me saying I would need more clarity on the roles/responsibilities/ expectations from my boss.

    This leaves me feeling extremely confused, and makes me feel as though the promotion conversation was essentially hush money. I realize this is the corporate world and technically they can do whatever they want, but is there any recourse or specific action I should take? What would you do? What do you think of this situation?

    TLDR: My friend/colleague was given a job without due process and I wanted to have an opportunity to at least apply for it. I was then asked if I wanted to be promoted to manager.

    submitted by /u/disgruntledcog
    [link] [comments]

    You guys are getting lunch breaks?

    Posted: 26 May 2020 10:57 AM PDT

    How long to wait to transfer to TAS?

    Posted: 26 May 2020 05:55 PM PDT

    Starting as an A1 in Big4 Audit. If I wanted to switch to deal advisory, is it recommended I wait 2 years until I make senior?

    submitted by /u/bhockey_07
    [link] [comments]

    Pwc call for associate role

    Posted: 26 May 2020 04:20 PM PDT

    It's going to be a 15-20 minute phone call with manager, which was set up by the recruiter. What should I expect? How should I prepare? It's been a while since I interviewed.

    submitted by /u/NatashaJa1n
    [link] [comments]

    Welp, quit my job

    Posted: 26 May 2020 07:47 PM PDT

    I quit my job as a "crop cost accountant" or "analyst" or whatever other bull honkey title this close family relative's company could come up with after I came back from maternity leave.

    I've gone and done the whole getting my BS in accounting thing. I live in between two large, notable (think Kristin Smart/Michael Jackson), and rich cities located along the central coast of CA. I have enough credits to sit for the exams; however, how in the heck do I even begin to connect with a firm having virtually no network within the accounting industry, besides the infrequent yearly meetings with an unrelated business' tax accountant? I have 7 years of experience in industries ranging from manufacturing to safety/industrial/etc. supply retail to agriculture.

    So, how do I go about this? Do I call and email firms I'm personally interested in to see if they would take on an intern? Do I send an owl clasping a hand stitched mask detailing my contact information, an owl that has also been outfitted with a voice recording of me rattling off a brief description of my intentions? Show up in person, resume in hand?

    But seriously though, can someone drop some wisdom on me?

    submitted by /u/BeanStaffSnakeBoo
    [link] [comments]

    Dress code for male tax associate

    Posted: 26 May 2020 10:30 PM PDT

    What is the dress code for male associates?

    In tax, is it okay to wear jeans everyday? Only on Friday? Never?

    Can I wear a polo instead of a dress shirt?

    Is jeans with a tucked in polo an acceptable outfit?

    submitted by /u/today-is-the-future
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment