• Breaking News

    Friday, May 29, 2020

    Accounting Deloitte Tax announces layoffs; furloughs/hours reductions for others. No raise if you aren't promoted.

    Accounting Deloitte Tax announces layoffs; furloughs/hours reductions for others. No raise if you aren't promoted.


    Deloitte Tax announces layoffs; furloughs/hours reductions for others. No raise if you aren't promoted.

    Posted: 29 May 2020 07:36 AM PDT

    Just announced in webcast.

    AIP will be paid if eligible. Unclear if "promotion" means level change- seems likely it does.

    Update: This is a 5 percent layoff. 1.5 percent after that will be furloughed.

    Update #2: Advisory also announced layoffs

    Update #3: Audit announces layoffs to the tune of 3 percent of headcount.

    submitted by /u/Big4AcctThrowaway
    [link] [comments]

    When the B4 say there are no plans for layoffs

    Posted: 29 May 2020 08:25 AM PDT

    How accountants use computers

    Posted: 29 May 2020 01:06 PM PDT

    What SALY actually looks like

    Posted: 29 May 2020 09:24 AM PDT

    When you land an internship sophomore year with a 2.9 GPA

    Posted: 29 May 2020 04:23 PM PDT

    When you've asked the client to change 72,596 to 72,569 on the 10K draft for the fifth time.

    Posted: 29 May 2020 12:47 PM PDT

    Gotta close them reports out for HQ

    Posted: 29 May 2020 07:26 AM PDT

    B4 Layoff Criteria

    Posted: 29 May 2020 01:06 PM PDT

    With Deloitte announcing upcoming layoffs, I am curious about historically what criteria has been used to determine which employees are laid off? Is it based on start date with A1s bearing the brunt of the impact? Is it performance based? Is it based on CPA status? Thanks.

    submitted by /u/gaaptap96
    [link] [comments]

    Currently employed at Deloitte, but on Monday I'll be part of a growing problem

    Posted: 29 May 2020 07:37 PM PDT

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfcZpAVXfew

    I always thought I was better than people like this, but now I understand. No shame in surviving.

    submitted by /u/TheSpanishHammer
    [link] [comments]

    Just discovered my company willingly engaging in state tax evasion. Now what?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 09:31 AM PDT

    So I live and work in Florida. I haven't been with my company for very long and obtained my cpa license during the time I've been here.

    So we do the financials for our state as well as for two other states in the northeastern US. They're smaller than us and don't really have the staff (or intentional unwillingness) to do their own financials. The company itself is traded on an international market, not a US market.

    During Q1 close I had some questions about some transactions they had recorded that didn't look right. While reaching out to a contact there I was told that they would not (different from could not) provide support for these transactions. Ok. Well I still need a copy of your bank statements since we're doing your bank recs too. They said we don't need them and they weren't going to provide them. I shot out an email or two to a couple other people up there and then later went to my local CFO about their unwillingness to provide support for their financials. I was basically told that this is the way the guy in charge of the US division wants it and to not go rattling the cages. But don't we sign off on the financials here? Not me personally, but one of our execs in FL signs off on them and I was worried he wasn't aware of our inability to support the statements he was signing off on. I was told that they know.

    Fine. I let them know and they're ok with it. I don't like it but I was basically told to just do the best I could with what they give me.

    Fast forward a couple days and I started getting responses to those emails I had sent. It only led to more questions and the person talking to me wasn't an accountant so they didn't realize the impact of what I was asking.
    Here's what I eventually discovered: 1. Unreported compensation to select individuals in the form of expensive vehicles, club memberships or even direct payments that were not being recognized or reported as compensation. Instead they were capitalizing all of it into a large development project where it could be overlooked due to the amounts being small in comparison to many of the other large costs. These costs were not reflected with the payroll company or on their W2's. 2. We aren't working in two other states as I was told. We had been at one point but those developments were long finished, measured in "years ago". The company has been keeping them active for the purpose of running all of their payroll through that state (state A). That state has no employees living there, or working there. They all reside and work in state B on projects taking place in state B. The only reason for doing this appears to be a moderate difference in state tax liabilities.

    Now once again I went to our local CFO to show them what I believe I've found and they said "I know."

    What?! And we're ok with this? It appears the answer is yes but I know some of that is not legal.

    So what are my options? What happens if I stay working here knowing that they're willingly engaged in these unethical practices? What are my obligations to the good faith of accounting industry? What liability would I carry if I chose to stay here?

    I'm pretty sure I'll be updating my resume this weekend even though I really don't want to start job searching right now.

    submitted by /u/Kaprikorn80
    [link] [comments]

    Is now a bad time to switch companies?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 12:07 PM PDT

    Currently WFH senior accountant with 5 or 6 years experience not a CPA.

    I have officially had it. Doing the work of 3 people due to furloughs and work for a large company. Currently I'm doing clerk shit on top of accounting and my actual work is late because I am overworked doing other roles work. I desperately want to find a job at a more technology friendly company (we use reports in PDF mostly). I dont think what i am doing now is building my skill set just doing easy work but working late nights and weekends.

    When is it safe to make the jump? Or should I just be happy I have a job?

    submitted by /u/CompleteHouse3
    [link] [comments]

    B4 starting date and salary - Norway

    Posted: 29 May 2020 02:06 PM PDT

    Thought i'd share what i've heard regarding new hires in Norway. I know most of you here are from the US, but figured it might be interesting for some.

    Start dates for all advisory positions have been postponed untill january for i believe all B4. In at least Deloitte this also includes Tax and accounting.

    For audit positions, the start date has been postponed into september compared to mid august for a normal year. I believe EY starts at the end of august though.

    Shocker.. but starting seminars for at least EY and PwC has been canceled. These usually travel to spain and portugal for a week.

    In Deloitte new hires have taken a pay cut of approximately 2.5 grand in dollars, now starting in the range of at 44,5 grand to 45,5(audit). New wage negotiations already in january though.

    Ey hires(audit) has not taken any paycut and i believe they start at approx 46-47 grand depending on location. No new wage negotiations untill next summer here though.

    Luckially no offers have been rescinded that i've heard of, but it will be interesting to see how many new hires there will be next year.

    And yes, the wages are much lower than across the pond...

    submitted by /u/SindreT
    [link] [comments]

    Did i fuck up?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 02:19 PM PDT

    Hey guys, i am a recently college graduate and currently live in AZ. I will say we have deloitte and such but it just seems like the over achievers always go to the big four straight out of college whereas i still haven't found a job (maybe it's covid but i can only hope). I graduated with a 2.7 GPA and have two piercings and a couple tattoos on my arms. None of my body art is crazy but I guess i'm curious is it ok to have tattoos and piercings? What about my shit GPA, am I ever going to get a good job? I was never able to get an internship either as i've always worked full time to support myself through college. Please help i'm struggling mentally to figure this shit out :/

    hopeless

    EDIT: I do not want to work at any of the big four, this is more of a generalized thought of what i should look towards

    submitted by /u/dogeatdog15
    [link] [comments]

    CPA exam application only has room for me to list one criminal offense. Should I just list the most serious one?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 06:33 PM PDT

    I'm filling out the application for the CPA exam right now and it's asking me if I was convicted of any criminal offenses then the date of the offense. Then it says to send documentation of the crime to an address.

    But there's only room for one date, and I have multiple things on my record.

    Should I just put the date for the most serious one and sent them documentation for all of them? Idk what to do about that

    submitted by /u/TheGentlyUsedNapkin
    [link] [comments]

    Is it better to stick to one job for 3-5 years and get promoted or hop around every couple years?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 08:48 AM PDT

    Like the title states -

    Is it better to stay in one job or move around? Some people look down upon moving around, while others value mobility and freedom.

    Going crazy pulling my hair out over this. Given that this person has a CPA and a few years of advisory/accounting experience?

    submitted by /u/throwawayMisterCPA
    [link] [comments]

    [CAN] September CFE update

    Posted: 29 May 2020 01:42 PM PDT

    Their update is below, nothing concrete. What are you guys doing in the meantime? Studying at all?

    The CPA profession is continuing its efforts to develop a comprehensive plan to deliver the September 2020 Common Final Examination (CFE). Our commitment to protecting the safety of our students, employees, and volunteers, while not compromising on the high-quality and integrity of the CFE, continues to guide our decisions.

    As we work on the delivery approach for the September 2020 CFE, the profession is engaging in consultations with public health authorities across the country. All exam delivery options being considered and evaluated are in-person, comply with physical distancing guidelines, and address public health concerns.

    The profession recognizes that you are anxious to receive firm details on the selected delivery approach. We will share this information broadly once specifics are finalized. Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate through this tremendously complex and constantly evolving situation.

    We will provide you with another update on the September CFE by the end of June.

    Stay well and keep safe.

    Carol Wilding, FCPA, FCA President & CEO CPA Ontario

    submitted by /u/Whiterhino77
    [link] [comments]

    Are you into music while working?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 10:09 PM PDT

    ... check out my studying playlist, almost 9 hrs of synth music inspired by Mr Robot and Stranger things.

    Curious about what you listen to as well.

    submitted by /u/cupofmerlin
    [link] [comments]

    Those that moved to industry - what was the biggest adjustment for you?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 09:51 AM PDT

    Specifically at management level, but all please comment. I've been with one B4 for close to a decade now and about to jump into industry (PE specifically).

    Acutely aware of the fact that B4 life is all I know so I'm expecting the transition to be rocky office - politics, dynamics with team, expectations etc are presumably all different.

    Trying to mimimize how much I get blindsided by my own very narrow take on how things "should be"...

    Any & all tips, stories, advice and ramblings welcome

    Thanks all

    submitted by /u/AnomalyNexus
    [link] [comments]

    Will my firm let me do my LLC return for free?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 09:51 PM PDT

    I work for a large regional CPA firm. They let me do my personal taxes as well as close family using firm software. My friend and I plan on purchasing a rental property in the next couple years. Any chance my firm will let me do the 1065 for free? If not, would you recommend still doing it at my firm, or have another firm do it? I haven't seen something like this yet.

    submitted by /u/runincpa
    [link] [comments]

    With layoffs happening at Big 4, would this affect internship opportunities with them?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 07:39 PM PDT

    Do you think internship opportunities will be scarce now with them? I'm worried.

    submitted by /u/-Huskies-
    [link] [comments]

    Is it ever okay to date within a big4 office?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 07:19 PM PDT

    Is it okay for an associate to date within his office?

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/today-is-the-future
    [link] [comments]

    New Job Advice

    Posted: 29 May 2020 03:33 PM PDT

    I took a position at a Big four firm last year and I'm miserable. I feel as though I am constantly running into issues that I can not resolve. Typical big four mentality is sink or swim and I most definitely am sinking. I have two bachelor degrees in finance and accounting. I am currently looking for a new job, but not sure where to start. I feel like everything else is a downgrade. Has anyone left big four to pursue other opportunities? What is your title and how has it worked out?

    submitted by /u/Grilled-Cheese-
    [link] [comments]

    Should I put that I use Excel without a mouse on my resume/Linkedin? (Only partially joking)

    Posted: 29 May 2020 01:23 PM PDT

    I see so many resumes/LinkedIn profiles listing "Proficient in Excel" or "Advanced Excel," but 9/10 people I've seen list this arguably suck.

    Tbh I've been considering adding it just as a funny way to cut through the bullshit of the recruiting. I know I'd appreciate it if I saw it on a candidate's resume, but I'm curious about your thoughts.

    submitted by /u/StupidAcctQuestion69
    [link] [comments]

    Should I disclose personal issues to supervisor to explain decrease in performance, and to give me a chance within weeks to make corrections?

    Posted: 29 May 2020 03:28 PM PDT

    My relationship with my supervisor has been tough, she's constantly giving me sarcastic remarks, implying I'm dumb or implying that I'm hijacking my job because my performance decreased and my performance was high last year. This started this year.

    Not seeking for pity but for genuine advice. The truth is I've had decreased in performance because I have severe depression all through life and other problems. I've been hospitalized for more than a month in a psychiatric hospital. I suffer from occasional seizures. I was constantly abused in my childhood and adolescent and even in my 20s. I can't get over it, I get constantly nightmares about that. That's one of the factors I have insomnia. With this I'm trying to explain my decrease in performance but I can sort my issues. I just need more compassion and a week or two. I even had a fight with my dad, I just had to let him hit me because if I hit him back I could had killed him, he has high blood pressure and is diabetic and obese. That ended up me going to job all bruised up, had to take a tetanus shot. Very humiliating.

    When she schedules a meeting to scream and berate at me and be sarcastic I end up crying after the meeting. It has been so bad I've attempted suicide 3 times. When I want to suicide I have to use just to keep myself from jumping from a bridge or hanging myself. But I'm not telling this part. Just explaining to you the extent of my issues. I'm back to living with my abusers for a couple of months maybe a year, and it brings me back haunting memories.

    I just want to let her know I just want to be normal person, I'm trying my hardest. Or should I just keep oin going? I really don't want to get fired, but if push comes to shove I'll accept that. I just need a little bit of compassion, I'm hearbroken and suicidal and my behaviour is erratic. Even when my mom was my main abuser ever since I was a baby, I've been hugging her a lot after my crying episodes.

    Anyways, what are your thoughts? My supervisor can't directly decide to fire me, only my manager or above the hierarchy can, and we have a good relationship. I'm sorry if this sound unrelated or fucked up. You're one of the wisest advice I can get, we're all accountants, I value the opinion of another accountant here.

    submitted by /u/labradf0rd
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment