• Breaking News

    Wednesday, March 25, 2020

    Covid-19 forbearance pushed out until March 2021 Student Loans

    Covid-19 forbearance pushed out until March 2021 Student Loans


    Covid-19 forbearance pushed out until March 2021

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 01:12 PM PDT

    I've commented this in a few other places, so I apologize if you're tired of seeing it, but I think it's rather important and didn't see it mentioned anywhere else on here. The federal loan forbearance has been extended to the end of March 2021 for the time being. Meaning they can extend it further or shorten it at any time as they see fit, but not to be shorter than the original 60 days. I checked with both of my servicers, and they both have pages like this one to explain it all in more detail. Hope this helps.

    Edit: Why is this getting downvoted? If I got something wrong tell me so I can correct it.

    submitted by /u/ImperfectDrug
    [link] [comments]

    Does the new 2 trillion Stimulus include any student loan forgiveness? Or still just a hold on accruing interest so people can go on forbearance without their balance increasing, instead just frozen? Anyone know the details?

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 10:56 PM PDT

    FedLoan Interest Still Not 0%??

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 05:48 AM PDT

    Hey everyone,

    I'm worried because when I log in to myfedloan.org and view my loan details, each federal loan still shows the same interest rate it always has. I'm not seeing an interest rate of 0% :(. Here's a screenshot of one of my loans showing an interest rate still: https://www.screencast.com/t/22tWD3Mpti0.

    Is anyone else running into this or can anyone help provide some guidance?

    Thank you so much for any advice on this. It honestly means the world to me.

    submitted by /u/Spooner_Goldberg
    [link] [comments]

    Drowning in student loan debt

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 08:46 PM PDT

    I feel like I'm drowning here. I am a former hospital nurse who went back to school to become an Np. I obtained my doctorate degree as I was accepted to a BSN to Doctorate degree and it seemed like a good idea at the time. I worked at a FQHC after I graduated because of course that was my plan to help with my loans afterwards. Of course I was denied after I applied. Now I am in a income repayment plan and I don't even think that this will result in loan forgiveness as I work in a private doctors office. Are there other options for me that will lower my monthly payment so I can pay down the principle? I have been paying for 3 years and have not made a dent! I took the long road due to growing up in rough circumstances. Now my youngest of 6 is going off to college and they offered a 10 % rate for SallieMae due to my current debt (which included 3 others borrowing based on my income) I can't win. Any advice? and thanks for reading!

    submitted by /u/DrTerriNP
    [link] [comments]

    Nelnet 0% interest

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 02:33 AM PDT

    For paying federal loans through Nelnet should I wait until the interest shows up as 0% or is it okay to go ahead and make payments since it's been effective since mid-March?

    submitted by /u/kris4444
    [link] [comments]

    Tuition: Crap! My FAFSA letter only granted me a total of about $16K including Cal Grant and Loans. That's less than half of what I need for college. Are there other Unsubsidized Loans I can apply for? Any tips?

    Posted: 25 Mar 2020 01:52 AM PDT

    Consolidate Federal student loans before Congress votes on whether to forgive them?

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 09:01 PM PDT

    I have some Navient loans owned by Navient and Deutsche Bank. They currently do not count for 0% interest because they are not owned by the Dept of Ed. However, if I were to consolidate them under the Dept of Ed, then they would be owned by the Dept of Ed and qualify for 0% interest.

    I understand that the Dems in Congress are working to include student loan forgiveness in their version of the bailout bill. Assuming that the same logic would follow, that the benefit of forgiveness would be limited to Dept of Ed-owned debt, do you think that I should rush to consolidate my loans now? Or do you believe that there would still be a window where you could do this and still receive the forgiveness?

    submitted by /u/Cesspoolparty45
    [link] [comments]

    Is it true?

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 08:04 PM PDT

    Could we be seeing a 10,000 dollar forgiveness on current loans? I'm seeing that alot in the current bill being talked about?

    submitted by /u/Firepower1994
    [link] [comments]

    Forbearance vs Deferment

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 03:43 PM PDT

    With this federal pause on interest, are forbearance and deferment essentially the same? I'm not sure which is the best option

    submitted by /u/Woogyy_6
    [link] [comments]

    Great Lakes charging interest on federal loans while dept of Ed is not

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 12:21 PM PDT

    I just got off the phone with Great Lakes representative and they said the dept of Education hasn't instructed them to remove interest on current federally provided loans so I'm watching my account balance increase daily. When I check my loan status through studentaid.gov it shows the correct balance with 0% interest. What gives? Why is Great Lakes still accruing daily?

    submitted by /u/fittuccine
    [link] [comments]

    IDR Department "Closed"

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 05:27 AM PDT

    I just got off the phone with FedLoan. (I started dialing at 7:59am, was put immediately through to a live person, no wait time. There's still a call center open in Florida, poor people). My IDR application was erroneously rejected, and I was checking up.

    I learned from the rep that the IDR department is closed. They're "trying to get people to work on applications at home," and her best guess was that they'd be open again in two weeks.

    In the meantime, I was given another 60 days of administrative forbearance while they figure out that the information they say isn't in my application is on page 9 of my application.

    Thought others might have, like me, poorly timed IDR applications and would want to know. Before you ask, I'm not taking the COVID forbearance because I'm trying to get on IDR and on PSLF (here comes the PSLF bot).

    submitted by /u/skipskopflimflammy
    [link] [comments]

    Sallie Mae Chat

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 10:30 AM PDT

    This may sound stupid but in order to contact sallie mae right now they advertise a chat option since all of their call centers are currently closed. I can not find it at all, does anyone have any idea where they hid the chat option on their site?

    submitted by /u/Saiyan8592
    [link] [comments]

    TPD Discharge

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 03:40 PM PDT

    Can anyone speak to the monitoring period? Please, please help.

    I finally got approved, and now my loans would've been pushed out a year anyway. I'm under a 3-year monitoring instead during which I won't earn more than the federal poverty limit for a family of 2 regardless of family size (17K right now).

    I can find ZERO clarity on what is counted as income.

    I can't afford to stay in my house anymore, I can't pay the mortgage. If I sell it, is that counted as income? If I rent it, is that counted as income?

    Both are passive income for SSDI/SSI. The TPD website says "employment income" but isn't specific what that means. Couldn't a tax return show rental "income" even if I'm just breaking even. And I would then submit my tax return?

    https://www.disabilitydischarge.com/MonitoringPeriod

    Please please message me if anyone has been through this.


    [link] [comments]

    Somebody talk me down...

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 02:26 PM PDT

    So I have student loans with two different companies: AES and Fed Loan Servicing. The AES is close to being paid off, as I typically make a payment and a half every month. The Fed Loan has just been set up for automatic withdraws for almost the past seven years.

    Since I'm hoping to have the AES paid off in the next year, I'm finally able to start thinking about tackling more of the Fed Loan Servicing loans. My beginning balance was about $31,000. I've paid nearly $16,000 total, but my balance has only been reduced $5,600.

    Does this sound right? Is there a better option? My original plan was to take my current AES amount and start paying off the individual loans that have the lowest amount owed, but now I'm thinking that I don't want to pay Fed Loan Servicing anymore than I have to.

    submitted by /u/foamy2001
    [link] [comments]

    FedLoans drafting a day later?

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 01:34 PM PDT

    I have my loans through FedLoans and logged in to check my interest rate. I saw that it says I'm past due for my monthly payment, but I've had the payment auto-drafted monthly through FedLoans for over a year. Due date was 3/23/20 and it looks like it drafted from my back after midnight today. So my account now shows "Days delinquent: 1" in my loan details. Should I be concerned? Anyone have/had this issue?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/Ohaithair
    [link] [comments]

    If loans are eligible for IBR are they federal?

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 01:29 PM PDT

    I have some perkins and ffel loans, and just started the IBR plan this year. Does that mean they are all federal loans? Do all loans have to be federal to be eligible for the IBR by default? I appreciate the feedback, I'm new to repayment and am confused.

    submitted by /u/wintersnap13
    [link] [comments]

    Sub and Unsub loan refund?

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 09:34 AM PDT

    Hello all! I am currently in my 5th year at a program in a NY private university and am taking loans out to pay for the year. With all that is going on at the moment, they sent us an email stating that I should set up a direct deposit as there is some refund coming- I thought it was because how all classes are online they wanted to give back like a few hundred for fees and stuff.

    Instead I'm getting back essentially my sub and unsubsidized loans, which amounts to nearly 5k. What do I do with this money as a result? Can I pay off some credit card debt and save the rest? Do I start paying off my loans? Any help is appreciated!

    submitted by /u/FlareRULZ
    [link] [comments]

    Sallie Mae billing statement says my total amount due for the month is 0$?

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 07:32 AM PDT

    Hello,

    I get monthly Sallie Mar emails reminding me to pay each month. The total amount due always says 0 but I pay the recommended amount on my page each month. This month however I'm in a bit of a rough spot and think I won't pay since it says 0. Will this count as missing a payment? Last thing I want is to have to pay double plus a fee next month. Here's what the email says;

    Your Billing Statement Summary Loan or Loan Group Number: xxxx Current Amount Due: $0.00 Current Amount Due Date: 04/15/20 Past Due Amount (Pay Now): $0.00 Unpaid Fees: $0.00 Total Amount Due: $0.00

    Thank you!

    submitted by /u/GaijinMonogatari
    [link] [comments]

    Coronavirus forbearance

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 10:58 AM PDT

    I was debating taking the coronavirus forbearance. But I have a question, when would the missed payments be paid for? Would there just be two months longer at the end of the loan or would it have to be paid up in a certain amount of time? There is a ton of information out and I can't seem to find an answer with this. I have them with Nelnet and am on the standard repayment plan

    submitted by /u/Zebratreats
    [link] [comments]

    Private held loan Forgiveness

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 10:41 AM PDT

    Is there any hope for those that are on private student loans? All I see are potential offerings for federal loans. Couldn't they just provide checks to those on private ??

    submitted by /u/cgcallahan0
    [link] [comments]

    Tax Return Transcript translator?

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 09:41 AM PDT

    Afternoon my fellow quarantined friends,

    I am attempting to complete my FAFSA using my 2018 Tax Return Transcript as I do not have access to the documents otherwise needed. I am stuck on the following question and attempting to use the transcript to answer it

    "Enter the amount of your income tax for 2018. This is the total amount of IRS Form 1040-line 13 minus Schedule 2-line 46."

    Last year, a great individual here posted a link to an excel sheet that was essentially a translator and enabled me to plug this information in quickly and effortlessly. This year, that link is no longer available on the given website (Link below).

    Does anyone have any thoughts here? Sources or tools available to complete my FAFSA using my 2018 Tax Return Transcript?

    [link] https://ifap.ed.gov/eannouncements/060618FAFSA1819VerifIRSTaxReturnTranscriptMatrix.html

    https://www.reddit.com/r/StudentLoans/comments/8wa9zs/tax_return_transcript_and_fafsa_filing/

    submitted by /u/MylianMoonstar
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone with Oklahoma student loans authority

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 08:04 AM PDT

    I know it takes time but curious if anyone has noticed their interest turn to 0% yet?

    submitted by /u/Showtime1852
    [link] [comments]

    Can you get your tax return back per COVID?

    Posted: 24 Mar 2020 06:15 AM PDT

    A friend of mine posted a status on Facebook a few mins ago asking if there was a way to get part or all of your tax refund back from the student loan agency due to the COVID 19 putting people out of work. She said she thought she heard something about that a few weeks ago but can't find anything on google.

    I can't find anything either .... is this real or did she imagine this?

    submitted by /u/Cherrylimeaid14
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment