• Breaking News

    Sunday, November 24, 2019

    Personal Finance UPDATE: Credit Karma High Yield Savings Linked Account Buyer Beware

    Personal Finance UPDATE: Credit Karma High Yield Savings Linked Account Buyer Beware


    UPDATE: Credit Karma High Yield Savings Linked Account Buyer Beware

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 09:29 AM PST

    This is the final update from a thread started about two weeks which is now fully resolved.

    All the details are in the original thread, with the primary problem being that when setting up a High Yield Savings Account with Credit Karma, you are unable to make changes (add/edit/remove) to your funding account. I have never experienced this type of issue using other banking and investment products with several other financial institutions local, regional, or national.

    I opened the account on 10/30/19. Around a week later, I wanted to change my originating account as the funding account I had I closed as it was with Marcus, who I no longer personally wished to work with and had no reason to keep the account open. I wanted to change the account to a personal account with PNC. At the time, there was zero documentation saying you couldn't change your linked account. It appears on 11/7/19 - days after I opened my complaint with Credit Karma, they edited this support page to account for such an oversight. I find this dubious or very coincidental to say the least.

    After going through several support emails, creating the original reddit thread, which seemed to get their attention at last - I received a manager support correspondence which started to resolve my issue. They had to manually link my PNC account on the back-end, asking for ID verification, etc. which I provided. Days elapsed and I allowed 24 hours between my own responses with their online only email support. They did link the account, but a second issue arose - I could no longer login. Regardless of browser, app, IP address, computer - nothing worked. I lost the ability completely, and therefore the ability to verify the account was linked and my money was safe or could be transferred. It took over a week for them to troubleshoot this separate, but related issue - which was not resolved.

    I asked for the funds to be mailed to me by check and the account closed. However, I noticed an error elsewhere in my Credit Karma profile, they had my incorrect address. I was unable to edit the address as apparently Credit Karma had incorrect addressing information from TransUnion. I contacted TransUnion and verified the information was correct - but for some reason the change was never picked up by Credit Karma.

    I let Credit Karma know of this error, and to mail the check to me at the address on my email - verified by Drivers License. They said they would ensure this happened. It did not. The check was mailed to the previous address. Literally the most incompetent customer service on the planet.

    Luckily, I know the person who lives at the previous address (family) and they held the check for me. I would never have known they sent the check to the wrong address had that family member been a stranger for example.

    I did let Credit Karma know of this severe error by email a few days ago - no response. Not even an apology at any point other than from the manager who said he was sorry it took so long for them to respond originally. After that the case was cleary given back to a regular employee(s).

    I deposited the check a few days ago, my money is safe. I will be looking at a far better high yield savings institution this week to move the money into and am open to recommendations. I'm partial to trying Capital One since I have a credit card with them.

    I have yet to submit any formal complaints as I'm not even sure where to begin. The CFBP online form doesn't have the appropriate options for me to start, and I only have emails to point to as proof. Take this story as a buyer beware. I'm sure the account works for others, but there are so many better products on the market. I'm personally never doing business with Credit Karma for any purpose again.

    TL;DR - Do not open a high yield savings account with Credit Karma unless you plan to never change your funding account info. Their customer service is terrible. No phone number to speak of, and their banking partner is a small bank in West Virginia who cannot assist you. You will not be provided an account or routing number and must close your account to make changes such as this.

    edit: Thanks for the Platinum, kind stranger. And for all of your replies.

    submitted by /u/LtPatterson
    [link] [comments]

    Paypal buyer opened a claim how likely how likely am I to win as the seller? Fraudulent claim.

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 03:05 AM PST

    So i sold a bag online (it was authentic) and the buyer has received it and is claiming that it's fake, but i know it's not. I have a feeling he's just trying to scam me. So he opened a paypal dispute and i responded with the offer of a full refund in return for the item - so he will get his full refund when i get the bag back. Paypal is holding the money so there's no risk.

    He was asking me to refund him outside of paypal too. Which is a definite no go as i have no cover then.

    But instead of accepting this offer (which anyone normal would) he took it further to claim, where he doesn't have to return the item and paypal will give him his money back. Is there any way of me not taking an L here? I am going to loose the £70 and the bag itself. I have done nothing wrong and i know paypal side with the buyer 99.999% of the time.

    What options do I have? Have i just lost out?

    submitted by /u/A673J
    [link] [comments]

    Medical bill that I didn't know existed was sent into collections, what can I do to get this reversed?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 06:29 AM PST

    A medical bill from over a year ago was sent into collections and I need help getting this reversed.

    Long story short, I had an urgent situation where a procedure was done in an out of network hospital, but insurance would still cover most of it. I gave the hospital all the medical/insurance information they asked for, but as it turns out they couldn't finalize things with my insurance for some reason.

    A year passed by without me learning of the situation between the hospital and my insurance, having received no information from either side. A week ago I get a call from a collection agency, much to my surprise, asking for payment of said bill.

    Immediately after, I call the hospital and they relay their situation to me, I give them more insurance info and they say that maybe they were missing something but now that I gave them this additional information, they can sort things out. They also told me that the bill went into collections a week from when the collections agency called me, but they'll call the agency to remove it from collections so I don't receive any more calls from them.

    The bill isn't small but it also isn't a substantial amount, I have no problem paying it off immediately but I'm confident my insurance is going to take care of most of it. I am worried though of the hit my credit is going to take since the bill went into collections, my credit is pristine otherwise.

    For anyone that has been in this situation or can help, is it possible that the bill wasn't reported to the credit bureaus since it was only sent into collections a week before it was removed from collections by the hospital (hopefully)? Also what can I do to find out if it's on my credit report and get it reversed/removed? It hasn't been 30 days since it went into collections, and I read something about disputing it in 30 days, but I also read it won't show up on a credit report until the next billing cycle or something.

    Any help appreciated, thank you.

    Edit: Thank you to everyone that responded, I feel much less stressed about this now.

    submitted by /u/yolopizzaroll
    [link] [comments]

    Older couple I know is nearly homeless and I'd like to find any novel sources of assistance I can that I may have overlooked (N. Illinois).

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 10:13 AM PST

    An older couple I know who've helped me a few times are having a rough time of it and I'm not sure they'd be able to handle homelessness (one had a stroke a while back and the other is hard of hearing). I've asked a few questions and according to them neither qualify for disability or ss benefits though I don't know how hard they've actually tried. Neither are stupid but their financial literacy doesn't strike me as super sophisticated (they're a bit prone to scams and hustles if only because their lifestyle is a bit depressing and they want out of it) and I want to help snag them before they fall through the cracks.

    Are there any options I could use to help them that may not be immediately obvious? I've already looked into local housing assistance but not much of anything on the state or federal level if there even is such a thing. Any ideas would be appreciated even if they're unorthodox.

    submitted by /u/lesshurtingplz
    [link] [comments]

    Sister and brother-in-law just killed in car crash, leaving behind two college aged kids. What do we do?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 03:16 PM PST

    I'm writing this as we (myself and brother) are pretty much the immediate family support for these kids. Funeral arrangements are made, but looking for help/tips on navigating the road ahead for these kids. Sister/brother-in-law were employed, and owned a home and vehicles, but lived a pretty modest life. Of course the million dollar question - there is no will that we are aware of.

    We (brother and I) want to do whatever we can for the kids, as the idea of managing their deceased parents' estate will be a huge undertaking for them; having said that - they are of adult age, so I imagine there is only so much we can do.

    The funeral part is scheduled, but where do we go afterward? Some items of concern - will the mortgage be paid? Insurance? Utilities? Other debts - how do we even start to find? The checking account - does it close immediately? Do autopays continue on the checking account?

    Any questions or advice is truly appreciated.

    submitted by /u/jdsmn21
    [link] [comments]

    Keep getting calls from tax firms about a tax lien by the IRS on my parents

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 05:22 AM PST

    I keep getting calls from Denver numbers of tax accountancy firms asking for my dad. These are all tax lien resolution firms and they each explain that they see a recently filed tax lien by the IRS against my parents. I called my mom to find out, yes, that my parents are in serious financial trouble. There is a legitimate tax lien. Extremely unprecedented news.

    Regardless, I keep getting calls from these types of firms offering their services. I also recently found out that my dad also took an amex out in my name and didn't tell me, that's a story for another post. But if he has the capacity to do what he did with the amex, then he I am highly concerned as to why these tax lien firms are calling me. They are not calling my mom or my siblings, just me. Is there anyway I could at all be attached to my parents tax lien issue? Is there anyway to see my entire financial picture and determine that I attached to something I have no idea that I am attached too?

    submitted by /u/NotaScaliaDissent
    [link] [comments]

    Are paypal personal payments reported to IRS?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 07:59 AM PST

    Does paypal report personal payments you received via friends & family to the IRS on your 1099k at the end of the year?

    I received a few large payments from friends this year on PayPal and I don't think I should have to pay taxes on it.

    submitted by /u/jonnythedev
    [link] [comments]

    Those who made it out

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 05:19 PM PST

    Hi everyone

    I am a 28 year old single male, working like hell to get myself out of this mess I have created for myself. I am making (slow) progress, and need some motivation, so.....

    Those that were once in crippling debt but have clawed, scraped their ways out and are now living debt free, share some of the best things about not having that debt over your head? What is life like on the other side, and is there really a light at the end of the tunnel?

    submitted by /u/onthefront91
    [link] [comments]

    Career Change At 28

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 04:16 PM PST

    I've been working as an ESL teacher abroad now for three years--it's all I could find after graduating from school. I'm sick of it and really want to move back home to be closer to my aging parents.

    I make about 27,000 net a year now and I really need to find a better paying job for when I get home. I'm also 50,000 in debt for student loans.

    I have a degree in communications and theater and I'm willing to make the switch into anything. I'm hesitant to get a master's degree because that will require taking out more loans.

    I'm about to get a 13,000 windfall in May and with part of this money I was looking into becoming a CPA (getting my post grad certification and then sitting the exam); or even getting a social media marketing certification (closer to my degree) and going from there. Which one would you do? The latter would be easier and significantly cheaper but I don't know if it'd guarantee a job as much as a CPA would. I know they're worlds apart but at this point I'm willing to do whatever is necessary to make money and fulfill myself through my hobbies--really wish I had come to this sooner though.

    submitted by /u/astraquile
    [link] [comments]

    So I was kicked out of my home.

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 01:43 PM PST

    I'm a single 20 y/o make. I make 14 an hour with about 800 in savings. I go to school full time. Will I need to drop out of school to work 40 hour weeks? Get a second job? I don't know what to do. I have no car to live in either. I really need help and advice please

    EDIT: Thank you to everyone who gave advice and offered support! I really appreciate the online community and you guys gave me plenty to consider. I feel a bit more stable now and my head is starting to become more clear. Thank you again!

    submitted by /u/_Davii
    [link] [comments]

    Stuck with a car that isn't running

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 03:03 AM PST

    Okay- so kind of a dumb move on my part almost two years ago, but I bought a used Jeep from a used car no credit dealership because I loved this Jeep. Two very bad choices right there.

    It being a Jeep, it has tons of problems. Now it's having transmission problems, not worth fixing, but still owe a few thousand.

    I honestly don't want to deal with this car anymore and just want it gone. I guess my question is, will it affect my credit if I voluntarily repo it to the no credit car dealership? Or what are my other options other than letting it sit in the parking lot of my apartment complex?

    Thanks.

    submitted by /u/kjcol
    [link] [comments]

    2020 HSA: Can I contribute $7100 if wife has her own HMO?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 03:14 PM PST

    Am I eligible to contribute the full $7100 to my HSA if I have both me and my wife on the HDHP plan, while she has an HMO that only covers herself through her work?

    submitted by /u/Engineer_Torque
    [link] [comments]

    I haven’t filed my taxes in 2-3 years

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 01:41 PM PST

    Hello financiers,

    Not sure if this is the correct sub to seek advice about this, but I hope so.

    To make a long story short, I haven't filed my taxes in 2-3 years (honestly not sure which year was the last I filed on), and am afraid of the consequences of what will likely come from it in the future. I owed money on 1-2 of the years and had no money to pay in. I'm much better off (for now) and want to get ahead of the problem before someone comes knocking/calling for it.

    I have no idea how to go about rectifying my situation. Do I see an accountant? A specific kind of accountant? Can they procure all the necessary documents they would need, or do I need to proactively start attempting to retrieve them? I might have a few of the W2's, but I'm sure most have been lost by now.

    submitted by /u/TyrOfWar
    [link] [comments]

    IRS sent letter to me asking me to pay taxes because my ex-wife didn’t file for tax, what do i do?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 09:21 AM PST

    I have been divorced for 3 years now. IRS sent me letter asking me to pay taxes in 2016 (i was still married at that time but separated). I called IRS and was told it's because my ex-wife didn't file for taxes at that time. After we divorce in 2017, she went to another country, i lost contact with her. I feel like i shouldn't be responsible for this since i didn't do anything wrong and although we were still married in 2016, what she does at that time i had no control over because we were separated. They sent me two letter, first letter was 6 month ago, i payed $3600ish hope to get this over with, now i got another letter asking for $1900, this feels like a bottomless hole. What should i do?

    submitted by /u/Olddriverjc
    [link] [comments]

    Should I pay off my CC with my savings?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 06:11 PM PST

    I have a CC that had an introductory promo of zero interest until 2/20. I have a balance on that card of ~ 11k, which after 2/20 will get hit with 22.49%(~$2500) of the balance. So come end of February I will get smacked with ~ $2500 in pure interest. Need some advise... I have enough in my savings to pay off the CC but would use up all my savings to do so. Should I do that or just make a large payment and accept the interest on the remaining balance? Each month I can comfortably put $1500 back into savings but I'm hesitant zeroing out my savings in case there's an emergency or something. Looking for some friendly advice please?

    submitted by /u/watch3r99
    [link] [comments]

    3 months unemployed. How do I find a job?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 06:08 PM PST

    Company I worked at for 15 years had a complete layoff of all California employees a few months ago. We were given a short notice and I used that time to start saving money (something I should have done sooner). After layoff and a small severance package (a couple weeks worth) I immediately signed up for Unemployment and have been on that.

    Currently at 3 months in and 3 months remaining, I'm kind of lost at what to do to find a job. This past week I applied to roughly 25 places on the normal sites (ziprecruiter, Glassdoor, indeed) and a small handful of applications directly to company career sites.

    In these 3 months I've had a small handful of interviews (2) with one of them completely ghosting me after the 3rd interview and another being very different from advertised (advertising as manager position; it was door to door sales). I've had a handful of recruiters and scammers reach out to me though. Recruiters seem to want to qualify you for open positions that you don't qualify for, and these are typically temp-to-hire with them not even giving you the name of the company.

    I'm applying for things that I am qualified for. I don't want to lower the bar and get something that pays half of what I was making before. I'm even open to a small paycut ($1-2) if it means getting a job.

    It feels almost like a never-ending game. I'm getting by fine on unemployment for now (it covers my rent + utilities, and im using my saved cash from before to cover food, gas, insurance, etc..)

    As-is, when the benefits run out I might have enough cash to support myself for about 2 months. As it gets closer to that ending period, I imagine I would open myself up to additional lower paying jobs.

    No 401k or other savings (I know!), Just a small amount in HSA for any expenses there.

    My question is.. what should I do? Are indeed/ziprecruiter just a waste of time? Should I be applying direct? Should I seek out job fairs? Im looking for something that is full time and that I can stay at long term (which is why the temp agencies and recruiters are scary).

    Should I sign up for the continued training benefits, go to school and extend my unemployment through that while still job hunting? Should I run from recruiters and temp agencies?

    No kids/wife, live with my girlfriend (who is also starting a new job, albeit part time and about half of what I was making per hour. My weekly unemployment is usually about twice what she's making now)

    Feeling a little lost and discourages after everything, wondering what I need to do.

    submitted by /u/Error-81843
    [link] [comments]

    I have 50k in savings. What should I do to get the most out of my money?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 04:33 PM PST

    I have 50k in savings and I'm looking for ways to make money off my money. What should I do with it? Options for short and long term investing would be great.

    submitted by /u/questionableK
    [link] [comments]

    Credit card application got denied...

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 08:01 PM PST

    This year I've opened a total of 4 credit cards and have been added as an authorized user for one of my dad's credit card. The last credit card I was approved for was about 6 months ago. I tried applying for another one about 3 months ago and got denied citing too many inquiries. I was like fair enough. Today I tried again and got denied. It was a bank of america cash rewards card. My credit score is 750+ so I was kinda surprised. My credit limit combined is above 60K. Never had a late payment. My question is how long to wait between credit inquiries now? And how many credit cards a year is a good rule of thumb?

    submitted by /u/mokee92
    [link] [comments]

    Using gifted money to fund an IRA

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 05:45 PM PST

    For context, I'm a 34yo making under 70k a year in a high COL area and will pay only about $2000 into my employer's 401k plan (I plan to increase this in 2020 and yes, I'm meeting my company match which is ridiculously low).

    I was just gifted money by my parents (less than $15k) and would like to use it to max out an IRA. I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to go with a Roth or Traditional. I know the general advice given is to go with a Roth, but my income and 401k contribution is low enough to use a contribution to a Traditional as an adjustment on my 2019 taxes. That considered, what would be the best course of action here? Is lowering my 2019 taxable income, especially with a tax free gift, a better idea in this situation than funding a Roth?

    submitted by /u/TheBeautifulMistake1
    [link] [comments]

    Should I get a credit card to apply to grad school?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 05:41 PM PST

    Hi all,

    I feel like my situation is kind of unique so please bear with me. I'm 28, I just got my Masters and am currently applying for phd programs. I have about $40,000 in student debt from my masters (but this doesn't show up on my credit score yet).

    I'm still paying off my car loan which has about $4,000 left.

    I'm currently working two jobs, one as an adjunct instructor at my local community college - this nets me about $600 a month.

    I also substitute teach and this income varies, but as of late, I'm sitting about $300-400 a month.

    Money is SUPER tight right now because I'm only teaching one class at the college which is in the middle of the day three days a week, which seriously impedes my ability to substitute teach k-12.

    Next semester I have two classes at the college, both of which are night classes so I'm more than doubling that income. Plus I'll have all week to substitute teach, tripling if not quadrupling that income... suffice it to say, next semester will be comfortable.

    Here's my issue, because I'm applying to PhD programs now (apps are due december -january) I'm short on funds for a few things.

    My biggest issue at this point is sending GRE scores. I have to tell you... this shit is a scam, seriously. I paid upwards of $600 already just to take this damn test, only to find out I have to pay for each school I'm sending my scores to. I'm applying to 16 schools, and it's $27 to send scores. I've emailed every single program and only 8 will agree to wait on official scores until I'm officially offered admission. But that's still 8x27, at a total of $216. I paid one this month and will have enough extra cash to send one more next month, so that brings the total down to $162. I'm sitting out of my family's secret santa and still don't have the money to do this, so i'm wondering if getting a credit card would be smart way to do this.

    My credit is fair, about 645. I've already applied through my bank (USAA) and they said no dice, although they say they're working on a secured card, but it's not available yet and I'm in need NOW.

    I've got this far without a credit card, but I figure I ougtha bite that bullet at some point. Obviously I won't be able to pay this balance off till January, if not February, but at less than $200 bucks I don't think interest will be too bad and after that, I won't use it until I can absolutely pay it off.

    So i'm wondering if it's worth it? and which card should I consider? Here's what experian is matching me with: https://i.imgur.com/ktMNQLe.png

    At this point, I'm partial to the last one because I cannot pay an annual fee right now, but other than that I know nothing about this...

    Sorry this is all over the place, and thank you for reading this far.

    This is my first year officially out of school and it's been exponentially more nerve-wracking than I could have imagined, hence this scatterbrained and desperate plea for help.

    Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide!

    ETA: should also probably add that I'm in California.

    submitted by /u/youresomadatmydad
    [link] [comments]

    I just started my career in nursing, is it a good idea to start investing NOW?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 02:52 PM PST

    Edit: I am already investing my 401k and my HSA.

    Edit 2: thank you everyone for your input about stocks! I now know stocks are a terrible idea at this point in time. I would however still like more advice. Please see the comments for more details in paying for immigration for my soon to be wife and other details.

    I have just started my career in nursing, it is around $27/hr starting off not including differentials, I've been working full time for less than a year, got quite a bit of debt from school and other things like my car.

    I'm not quite stable financially due to some big things I'll have to pay for coming up soon, mostly with immigration. My fiancee is here on a k1 Visa and after we get married there will be a lot of fees to keep her here. After all that stuff is taken care of then we'll be a lot more stable. And once she starts working it will be even better, as she is a nurse too.

    Is it a good idea to still start investing my money this early into my career? Even if it's something small like $100 a month?

    Currently I am using Robin Hood. I decided to try some smaller stocks such as Ford, General Electric, a cannabis company, etc.

    My debt is about $65k in student loans, using PSLF to help with that, and around $8.5k for my car loan. I have a $3k credit card with 1.99% interest until March and then it'll be 8% after that. I was planning on using that for the immigration expenses. Shouldn't be over $3k thankfully.

    So with all of this in mind, would it be better to start investing more into my SAVINGS account before trying to build my portfolio? Or should I perhaps try to do both? $100 per month in Robin Hood, and $100 per month into my savings account until I get it where I want it?

    Thanks everyone for your kind input.

    submitted by /u/ResistRacism
    [link] [comments]

    Trading loss for 3 years ago 1 grand, can I still carry that foward?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 05:35 PM PST

    Had a net 1,000 dollar loss during my first year of trading 3 years ago in 2016. What I am wondering is can I use that to lower my taxable income for tax season in a few months? I know that you can right of 3k in losses every year but I dont really know the process or if I can write off a loss from 3 years ago that I did not write off previously.

    submitted by /u/Damastawilliams
    [link] [comments]

    Where to invest in retirement when above the Roth AND IRA phase-outs?

    Posted: 24 Nov 2019 02:39 PM PST

    I fully fund my 401k + employer match. I'll be debt free other than my mortgage in April-ish. I make above the limits for a Roth and am above the phase-out for any pretax benefits for an IRA.

    My 401k allows after-tax contributions up to $56,000.

    I have an existing rollover IRA, so a backdoor Roth via conversion isn't an option.

    Given that, where would you invest for retirement if nothing else is tax advantaged? I expect to go DOWN in tax brackets when I retire.

    I could contribute to an IRA, with no tax benefits.

    I could contribute after-tax to 401k but it would require payroll deductions vs manually investing.

    I could just invest in a taxable market account.

    Thoughts?

    submitted by /u/mreed911
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment