• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 13, 2019

    Startups Peer Support and Self Management Saturday’s - A Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant

    Startups Peer Support and Self Management Saturday’s - A Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant


    Peer Support and Self Management Saturday’s - A Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 06:05 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Peer Support and Self Management Thread.

    This is a Safe Place to Vent, Seek Emotional Support, Share Self Management Techniques and Experiences, or Just Rant.

    The goal for this thread is to help one another manage mental and physical health so we can more easily find success.

    We all struggle sometimes and it is important to recognize that the struggle is part of the journey. The important thing is to learn how to overcome that adversity to grow and succeed.

    Be tactful and classy in how you vent your feelings and share your frustrations. Act in a mature manner.

    Ask questions, share experiences, and be there for one another. Practice empathy in giving advice and remember that what worked for you isn't guaranteed to work for others. Make suggestions, not demands of others.

    #Because this is meant to be a safe place to support emotional and physical health there is a zero tolerance policy in effect. Be KIND. Be sure to report any conduct that is in violation of that key tenet.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Word to founders looking for a tech cofounder. Please no blind NDA.

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 12:26 PM PDT

    Please don't ask me to sign a blind NDA.

    I am a CTO with few startups behind me and from time to time I am looking for a new project (like now). And oh so often a new founder approaches me and even before the first discussion asks me to sign an NDA.

    No, seriously, it is really fascinating, you want me to sign an NDA without even talking to me? I don't know you, I don't know your team, I don't even know if the idea is feasible at all, but you want me to sign an NDA? To cut my future options?

    • First of all, that NDA would not stand in court, it just creates troubles, but nevertheless, doesn't stand.
    • 2nd, don't even think your idea is that unique. There are two type of ideas, the 1st one is nobody does it because nobody needs it, the 2nd is there is already a competition and you have a twist and special sauce and the team to make it, but it is not the idea that is so unique you need to burn the paper before the read.

    And if you can't open your idea to your potential cofounder, how the hell you are going to sell it? Mind you, to complete strangers?

    So no, don't ask me to sign your NDA.

    submitted by /u/volchara
    [link] [comments]

    How do you find a business-minded cofounder as an introverted tecchie?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 06:19 PM PDT

    As above, I consider myself quite introverted, and I'd really rather stick to my code than face other people. I do have a common language with other developers though, and I get them and their motivations and such. So leading a technical team is not a problem.

    I can build stuff quickly, but I'm rather bad at spotting market trends, and I think I'd rather stay away from anything related to marketing or business development.

    Any ideas for how I could find a person who would do the stuff that I mentioned I'd rather not do? Unfortunately, networking events are... another one of those things I'd rather avoid.

    submitted by /u/Fenris1729
    [link] [comments]

    Sunday’s Success Stories - Celebrate Your Successes From the Past Week: Anything goes, none too small!

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 06:05 AM PDT

    Welcome to this week's Sunday's Success Stories Thread.

    A lot of us get way too hung up on the destination and the fact that we are not there yet.

    It is important to take a moment to reflect on a great quote from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., "The steps you take don't need to be big, they just need to take you in the right direction"- Jemma Simmons

    This is extremely relevant to all of us in this community. We should all be more aware of the successes we achieve every day that carry us closer to our goals.

    Celebrating these successes, no matter how small they are, allow us to stay motivated, focused, and happy while we struggle to achieve dreams of various sizes.

    The purpose of this thread is to share our successes from the week with one another and have something to celebrate together.

    So, let us know what successes you have achieved this week! Nothing is too small or insignificant!

    #Because this is meant to be a safe place to support emotional and physical health there is a zero tolerance policy in effect. Be KIND. Be sure to report any conduct that is in violation of that key tenet.

    You can also find more support using instant chat on the /r/startups discord.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    When you created your startup, did you LOVE the idea or did you just strongly believe it'd work?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 12:31 PM PDT

    I have come to the realisation that working on startups for the rest of my life would make me happy, above other things. I have two brothers who also own startups, one as a serial entrepreneur who is very successful. I think naturally that mindset has been passed onto me, but because I am female and young, I have only recently found the courage to openly admit to people this is what I want to do.

    I have been working on generating and validating or invalidating ideas for a while now, and I work at a startup too, which helps. The problem I'm facing (and I'm sure lots of others do too), is that I want to spend time vetting an idea properly AND I want to be really excited about it and love it. In most cases, it has seemed like successful startups have come from a founder's undying passion to pursue a particular problem, possibly this is just great story telling but hey.

    So do you think it should matter if I 'quite like' an idea and think it would definitely work if executed correctly, is that the idea I should pursue? Or should I keep brainstorming until something much much stronger, something that I am super passionate about comes along? I don't want to fall victim to 'waiting for something perfect', I am itching to just start working. So far I have conducted customer research to a few promising ideas, but struggle to get past that point. I also have this stupid thing in my head that says I shouldn't be able to stop thinking about THE idea, but if a few days go by and I haven't thought of it.. I'll usually conclude it can't be the best idea or worth pursuing.

    Would love for your opinions or any advice! I have also asked my brother this, but am waiting his reply.

    submitted by /u/mambono5555
    [link] [comments]

    What do you do when your target market is very small?

    Posted: 12 Oct 2019 07:44 AM PDT

    My company is kind of like DeepMind where they were about to implement some of their softwares into other companies regarding fields like medicine. We do this as well, but we create softwares that are targeted towards smaller startups since I am in high school and probably can't get any of the big boys yet. Most of the people who need our product are large companies and not small startups. The startups that do need my software are usually people who are Pre-MVP that need help on building their product. How can I find people in this small market and should I expand our services to reach more people? Thank you guys and have a nice day!

    submitted by /u/pitin753
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment